Menu

BlockShopper.com - Encouragement of identity theft

T
Author of the complaint
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This site encourages identity theft by publishing a persons personal information without the consent of the person itself. On asking to take the info off the site, they are very rude and turn deaf ear. There have been numerous complaints against this site but still this site continues to post their articles about people's personal information. More complaints ---

Update by TruthBeTold Always
Dec 21, 2010 10:40 pm

I also googled myself and was horrified to see as the second listing, my name, address, and how much I paid for my house. When you click on the link, you can also send me a message (somehow).. I emailed Scarlett S and nicely asked her to take my info off the google search. As a single women, living alone I am very sensitive to my personal information being too accessible. She wrote me a curt response telling me it is public information and they have every right to post it. and refused to take me off the web site.

I wrote back agreeing it was public info but if I DO NOT want it posted they should respect my privacy wishes and remove me since they are NOT a .gov or .org county or state web site, they are a for-profit site, profiting off ad space for MY info! and i also reminded her that they removed the info for Day J (due to his lawsuit) and I deserve the same courtesy. No response from her after that. is anyone looking into a class action suit. I am interesting if so. I agree its public info but if you can be unlisted in a phone book then we should be removed from this site if we wish.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/blockshopper.html#ixzz18n1UGKxT

Update by TruthBeTold Always
Dec 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Blockshopper.com is a complete invasion of my privacy and puts my personal safety at risk. While they say "it's public record." I have the right to give my consent or not to blast to the world via the Internet my personal information. This site needs an "opt out" or to be shut down.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/blockshopper.html#ixzz18n1JONFO

Helpful? 0 0

More BlockShopper.com complaints & reviews

BlockShopper.com - Won't remove home listings from Google search
BlockShopper.com - invasion of privacy/won't let us 'opt-out'
BlockShopper.com - unauthorized advertisement of sale ot my house
BlockShopper.com - Revealing personal information
BlockShopper.com - invasion of privacy
BlockShopper.com - Invasion of Privacy to make money
4 comments
L
Apr 28, 2013 5:19 am

I goggled my name today and surprised to see my personal info be listed in sf block shopper.com. I checked their web and you have no way to opt out your info! I think they have no right to post my personal info in their business website. If we cannot rely our govt to protect our rights, at least our victims should voice out or do something to stop them. Should we join together for a group complaint or lawsuit? Or tell all people about their bad practice in all social media? Would like to see more insights from intelligent people. Tks.

J
Jan 19, 2011 5:19 am

"Whether they have "freedom" or not to publish such information, the way they are doing it is most assuredly a violation of Google's policies."

I agree and they have gained and used information from Linked in and I have contacted their legal department.

They can get public information but cannot do so by violating the agreements they signed to gain the information.

If you purchase a house, that is public record and is public information - sorry. But the other information they gather and post is breaking the law.

A
Dec 21, 2010 5:19 am

I dont understand why no action has been taken against this site. I have been a victim of cyber crime. Periodically, I check my online prescence for my personal safety. To my horror, a simple Google search brought up my name, along with all of my personal information. I emailed a simple request to have my name omitted from the site. I would have been content to have my name and phone number replaced with a generic 'a****a' or 'anonymous' or 'withdrawn' as a placeholder next to my address. This would not compromise the accuracy of blockshopper's database while retaining the public's safety. My request was denied.

Consequently my privacy, financial security, physical security, and identity security are further compromised than need be. Additionally, my information is more easily accessible to mailing lists. I have been exploited without my knowledge or consent.

L
Dec 21, 2010 5:19 am

These people create a separate web page for every single name associated with every real estate transaction. I pulled my name up while in Europe- it was on the first Google search page. Blockshopper refused to remove my name, citing freedom speech. This regardless of the fact that I have serious concerns for the well being of my family due to the business I am in, and prior crimes already committed and targeted against those in my industry. Whether they have "freedom" or not to publish such information, the way they are doing it is most assuredly a violation of Google's policies.

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/blockshopper.html#ixzz18n1mVWIt

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

41 complaints