Security Associates International, Inc. (SAI) / CastleRock Security, Incunable to cancel contract after term

R Review updated:

Unable to cancel service after term. Called customer service number [protected] and after about a 10 minute hold, spoke to a representative and told him I wished to cancel my alarm monitoring. He took all my info, then said he needed to connect me to the cancellation department. After another longer hold (15-20 minutes) I spoke with someone that said my contract had automatically renewed for another full year because I failed to send in written notice of cancellation 30 days prior to the end of my 3 year agreement. This is even though I called a month prior and notified the rep that I wished to cancel over the phone and was not made aware that the cancellation needed to be written. This company is clearly running a scam by extending the contract another full year and by making their customers jump though all these hoops to cancel. Definitely avoid them at all costs! For those in the same boat here is the cancellation address:

2101 South Arlington Heights Rd Ste 150
Arlington Heights, IL. 60005

They say they need name, address and account number to cancel.
Good Luck!
-Ryan

• N
      Jun 09, 2009

I have experienced the exact same thing today. I contacted the company on the phone a couple months ago to cancel (3 yr contract.) They told me I needed to send a letter giving 30 days notice. They failed to mention that if it was not 30 days prior to the end on the contract that they would automatically renew for an entire year! Today is June 9th, my contract is up on June 17th.
    I have just written a letter after go arounds on the phone. Hopefully the company will do the right thing and cancel the contract. I have not even used the service for at least a year and I have been paying for it all along.
    This is a very frustrating experience. I would expect a reputable company to send a letter telling you what your options are at the end of the contract. They did offer me a reduced rate of $5 a month ...if I agreed to a 18 month contract!!! What a joke.

• L
      Jun 17, 2009

I have experienced similar frustration. I thought I cancelled the contract before we moved overseas, and just found out, 1 year later, they are trying to collect the full contract amount, plus losses they feel they have incurred due to my "non-payment!" They are using a very aggressive lawfirm that has been extremely frustrating. I was hoping to "settle, " and pay a portion of the amount they are trying to collect and I was told they are not going to budge on the amount and that they are going to file a civil suit against me, begin reporting to the credit bureau, and start charging me interest on the amount (more than $1, 000)!

• T
      Jun 18, 2009

I work for a security company who used to contract with SAI. The company has actually gone out of business and their accounts transferred to various monitoring companies to help cover their debts.
    The renewal clause that has been mentioned is unenforceable in many states. It is referred to as an "evergreen" clause. I have helped many clients terminate these illegal contracts.
    I would not waste time on the phone with any company that tries to play hardball with this clause. Once a company threatens to take a litigious stance I take that following two steps.
    1. Have the customer send a formal cancellation letter containing language similar to "I John Doe hereby cancel my service with company XYZ as of current date. Any future attempt to collect payments will be considered harassment."

If they continue to attempt to collect money (90% won't) I have them contact their state Attorney Generals office to file a complaint. Once this step has been taken, I have never had a customer who was forced to pay additional fees or receive negative reporting on their credit

Hope this helps anyone stuck dealing with the remnants of SAI

• H
      Jul 17, 2009

So have had the say situation but worse! last year SAI transitioned over to the CDMA wirless communicator and mine need to be switched out well it was shipped to my house and defective out of the box. i called in with the technician there and they stated they would send out another...mean while i had no Security in my home. unit never gets shipped out made serval attempts to get one sent finally it gets sent DOA AGAIN!

but this time the "technicians" where some half ### home theathre installers!
    at around this time i spoke to gulliver witch was very helpful and he stated to me that i had been given credit and that i would not have to pay. i asked gulliver if he see this alot and he said im not alone. then i asked to speak to his supervisor and he put me on hold for 25 mins! she refused to get on the phone her name was vickie. i thien told gulliver i felt bad for him and that he did a great job. i then told guliver that i needed a call back from vickie before i reinstated my payment which was due in may... i received no phone call.

in june i get a call from a collections company [protected] and they are trying to collect i was so pissed off that they would send me to collections when all i wanted to do is speak to the supervisor.

do we have a case for a class action lawsuit?

• T
      Aug 05, 2010

CastleRockSecurity.info this is the address of the CastleRock Security Complaint Forum, if enough people use it, it will beat castlerock's own site for searches of "CastleRock Security"