Complaints & Reviews

poor service

After I moved all of my furniture and vacuumed every inch of the apartment, the Sears carpet cleaners showed up at my door without a portable water supply, so I was unable to get my carpeting cleaned that day. They offered me a whole 10% off to schedule with them again. Instead, I scheduled an appointment for the next week with another service... and saved myself $40.

• SearsCare May 24, 2011

To MizzyYLizzy,

I'm so sorry about the inconvenience caused when our cleaners showed up unprepared to complete the scheduled work in your home, especially after you had worked so hard to have everything moved for them. I completely understand your frustration with Sears. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected] and provide a contact phone number and the phone number the service was scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (MizzyYLizzy) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

[Resolved] substandard cleaning service and fraud

In November 2011, I received cleaning services for my carpet and upholstery that were substandard. I called in to Sears Home Services one day after cleaning and left message re: stains and dinginess of carpet and upholstery remaining after cleaning was done. I also complained about the technician and his rudeness; I was overcharged(for haitian cotten upoholstery; i have polyester upholstery). I spoke with customer complaint representatives as well as National cusumer complaint. I was given the run-a-round for several months and finally told that they would not return my money, because the services were done. I sent certified letter with estimates from other carpet specialist which was suggested by customer complaint representative. They later stated that I could not receive refund, because the services were rendered. I have experienced emotional as well as financial abuse from Sears and would like justice to be serviced. I am requesting the amount refund in the amount of $218.00 as this is what was paid for the services.

RESOLVED

• Updated by SearsCare · May 20, 2011

To Brenda,

I'm sorry that your Sears Home Services Carpet Cleaning turned into this. You should have received a better response and customer service after finding you were incorrectly. My name is James and I am part of the Social Media Support Escalations team at Sears and we would like to help. At your convenience, please contact our office at [email protected] Please send us an email providing a contact phone number and the phone number the service was scheduled under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email please provide the screen name (Brenda Melvin) for reference to your issue and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

James H.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Mo
    molliewollie May 20, 2011

So why are you just complaining now? Could it be you've seen Laura the Sear's Complaint Fixer rambling around the board??

unauthorized extras

Watch out for unathorized pressure-tactic up-selling on carpet cleaning services: I arranged for carpet...

Bait and Switch

I am extremely unhappy with Sears Carpet cleaning and their bait and switch tactics! We recently hired Sear...

Terrible job

Syracuse NY Sears Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning. I would NOT recommend this service to anyone. Just off the bat let me say that I scheduled 2 carpets, stairs, a hallway, a sofa, 2 oversized recliners and 2 regular recliners. Plus the stain protectant and the deodorizer in one room. Thats ALOT. We have a Bissell Steam cleaner but I really wanted everything done PROFESSIONALLY. Well they were absolutely amazing because they were able to clean ALL that in LESS THAN ONE HOUR!!!I can't even vacuum my house thoroughly in less than one hour. So that should have been my first clue. When I came home from work to pay them the first thing I noticed was a spot on the carpet (that I didn't see before). The guy quickly got a brush and cleaned it up. There was no fresh clean smell when I walked in. They said they don't use perfumy stuff which seemed to make sense that cleaning doesn't necessarily mean you have to smell the product. Then I checked out one of the chairs that I had struggled with for cat hair. lets just say, we could make a new cat with the hair still on the chair. The guy took out a basic hair removal brush and made an attempt to clean it but it was to no avail. The furniture and carpets were SOAKED! They said that was normal. I was so taken aback by the whole situation I just signed the paperwork and paid them. I immediately called the service in Syracuse and told the guy that answered that I was not a satisifed customer. I explained everything to him and he was very nice and concerned especially about the time it took to clean. he said he would speak to the technicians that were there and call me as soon as he spoke to them probably right at 5 pm when they returned. Needless to say, he NEVER called. The carpets took days to dry. We went on vacation a few days later and I just chalked the experience up to live and learn. Then when we came home from vacation, we came in the house after it had been closed up for so long and it smelled like Wet Dog. We just figured it was from the house being closed up so we openedd windows, etc. it seemed fine but every time we walked in the house for the next few days I smelled the same thing. Finally I got down on my knees and smelled the Carpet and that was the smell. it was awful it was like they cleaned the carpet with dirty water. We were so disgusted that at 9:00 that night my husband pulled out our very own Bissell steam cleaner, we filled it with Lysol disinfectant citrus and he spent 2 hours on ONE carpet. It was dry by the next morning and the house does not smell anymore. I DO NOT recommend SEARS Syracuse NY for carpet and upholstery cleaning.

Ant123 May 11, 2011

I've used them numerous times and I've never had that problem. They came in, and spend about 2 hrs on my living room, stairs, and hallway. They got up all the necessary stains (of course you can't get up every singled one) and they left. I came across this by accident looking to see if they had any offers and was shocked to see this. My carpets dried quickly, and I had no smell on them. I'm just a customer who's disagreeing with your point, not trying to start an argument. I'm sure if this is how their carpets turned out everytime they would be out of business by now. I would recommend them.

• Ne
    NEG2 Jun 26, 2012

SEARS CARPET CLEANING SERVICES IN MASSACHUSETTS -STAY CLEAR OF ANYTHING NAMED SEARS. They sent ONE guy to clean 2 carpets (which I have done every year) and to clean my furniture. The guy came and immediately started in about how he could not clean my furniture because it was "suede"! I kept telling him iT was NOT SUEDE, it was MICROFIBER! Perhaps he didn't understand my version of US ENGLISH! He called someone and in whatever tongue he was using, kept saying SUEDE, I kept saying in the background MICROFIBER - no furniture was cleaned. My guess is that there was no profit for him to spend an hour or however long it would have taken to do 2 chairs and 2 sofas, that's why it was called SUEDE! Now we come to the 2 carpets...usually there are two people coming to do the job; one moving heavier objects and the other doing the work. Usually they wear shoe covers. Usually they put furniture on blocks or have some sort of protection for the carpet so the furniture's finish doesn't bleed into the newly CLEANED carpet. None used by SEARS! That probably would cost an extra 25 cents per leg. This ONE guy did the job in about 5 minutes. He told me he used deodorizer for no additional charge since he didn't want to do my furniture. WELL, the carpet did NOT have the usual softness to it, NO SPOTS came out. He moved nothing in the room in order to clean it right. He DID NOT clean behind the doors or under the bed (which is on rollers) and went around everything in the room instead of moving anything to do the job RIGHT. The carpet felt like it was never washed (no usual softness)AND SMELLED like it was either washed in dirty water or no cleaning solution was used at all!!! Both rooms smelled like a hay barn! NO KIDDING, I used a bottle of Febreze in each room and the smell still did not go away. It smells DIRTY!!! HOW DISGUSTING CAN YOU BE SEARS?????? SO, the kicker is that they WILL NOT REFUND MY MONEY, they rescheduled me to be REDONE 3 weeks ago. WELL, apparently SEARS only has ONE TRUCK and it conveniently BROKE DOWN!!! HA HA, how funny is that??? So I rescheduled for the following Tuesday. They came TWO HOURS ahead of time, so naturally I missed them. WEEK 4, TODAY (6/26/12) they called me at 8:10 AM with the "I'm SORRY to tell you..." I guess there is ONLY ONE GUY working for the company and HE seems to have an EMERGENCY AND I NEED TO RESCHEDULE - ARE WE LAUGHING YET??? I demanded to speak with a supervisor - I had a hard time getting to SCOTT, the dispatcher, but I wasn't taking no for an answer. I had to threaten court action before I could speak to him. He all of a sudden said we can get someone there today after all! AMAZING ISN'T IT??? So, we'll see what happens today. They are to come between 11-2 - the same time the guy with the "emergency" was scheduled. If it's not done right today, tomorrow I will be at the court filing a lawsuit to get my money back. DO NOT USE SEARS CARPET CLEANERS AT ALL!!! EVEN IF IT'S FREE - GO TO THE NEXT COMPANY ON YOUR LIST!!!

• Ca
    carpet cleaning Jul 26, 2012

I really enjoy while I read your blogs and articles.

Terrible Service

I needed my carpets cleaned and rather than go to a small cleaning company, I wanted to use a professional...

Rip Off

I wasn't home when they did the carpet cleaning. My roommate was. My carpets were worst than before they came. It took him 10 min to do the entire house. So basically he just wet my carpets. When they sent someone out to re-do the carpet; it was the same guy. So of course he was a real jerk because he had to come back. He started an argument with me in my own home, yelled at me and then tried to charge me cash on the side to fix his shabby work. Little did he know I was on the phone with his office when he was proposing that. Needless to say the guy was kicked out of my house. Sears agreed to refund me my money. But I haven't seen not one penny. It has been six weeks now. Everytime I try to call the office no one will help me. No one returns my call. I have to go to small claims court to get my money back. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY, FAR FAR AWAY!!!

• Cr
    Crappy company Apr 19, 2010

Wow, sounds like exactly what happened to my wife and I. We had our sofa cleaned then re-cleaned only to have the finished product look worse than it did to start with! They re-scheduled our appointments twice at last notice, then when I called to complain all I get is the run around. For six weeks I've been trying to get someone to call me back, to date, nothing. What a worthless company.

damage

DO NOT WAIST YOUR MONEY !!! THEY HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO CLEAN CARPET - THEY WILL DAMAGE YOUR HOUSE AND CLAIM ""PREEXISTING CONDITIONS'' AND LIVE YOU WITH THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN DAMAGES!!! WORST COSTUMER SEVICE !!!
STAY FAAAAAAAAAR AWAY FROM SEARSCARPET AND UPHOSTERY CARE, BECOUSE THEY DON'T CARE !!!

rudeness, arragont and unbending

i registered a complaint against the anahiem Sear carpet cleaning service earlier today and tonight an Anthony Mayo called. said he was the general manager and he was equally rude in terminating my right to have my capets cleaned by Sears because i called to reschedule 3 times ahead of time. . i have never been spoken that way or treated like that as a customer. i hope that you recorded the conversation and will listen to whats going on within your company

rudeness and inflexability

i wanted by carpets cleaned by sears as i had before. i had to reschedule 3 times because i was helping to move my mother in law into a home and because of packing, family company and emotional termoil i had to change my dates. the lady that terminated me was from the anihiem store and her name was Toni. something. She was extrememly rude, talked over me and acted as if i had commited a crime by rescheduling. she said they were refusing me service. She was way out of line. i am 65 years old and have never been spoken to that way. i have never had any thing like this happen before and i am totally turned off by Sears service.
I have mentioned it to others and they cant believe this happened.. I was also told they didnt even have a job that day but still were refusing me service. we had the house all ready with breakable put away and all. pleas se make sure this gets to someone who can do something about it.
sincerely judy gubser

Damaged House Refused to Cover It

I originally went with Sears since they had the best prices, but in this case you really get what you pay...

Bait and Switch

We needed an empty 2 bedroom house carpet cleaning - due to the advertised "special" price we went with Sears. The technition, who was polite, walked around the house and immediately told me that the three "high traffic" areas would need special treatment, at $25 each, to remove the darker traffic dirt. I refused, saying that the carpet had normal wear, and that if they couldn't clean it, to leave. He said he would do his best, and I came back after 20 minutes, after he did one room, and the traffic area was noticeably darker than the rest of the carpet. At that point, I was trapped - we were selling the house, and I did not have the time to bring in an honest company to replace Sears, so I told him to use the "special treatment", which had now been lowered to $50 for the three areas, and he sprayed a cleaner on the areas, which lightened them considerably. Sorry Sears, but you really blew it, as I will never use one of your franchise services again.

carpet cleaning

I am just writing in order to save anyone who is thinking about having their carpets cleaned or ordering...

Poor service, abusive treatment, dissatisfaction

I am writing to express my dissatisfaction to a recent service from your upholstery and carpet cleaning and am requesting a refund. I arranged with Sears Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning in Ottawa at [protected], to come to my address, which is [privacy edit] Ottawa, Ontario, K1T 2N5 on August 10, 2006. Ken and Tania, who called themselves technicians, arrived at 8:50 and left at 9:35a.m. Upon arrival Tania asked me for towels, I said "You need towels?", Her reply was "Yes if you do not want your area rug to get wet". I wondered why I should have to supply towels. You would think they would have some protective product for carpets and wood floors. Ken asked me if the chesterfield and chair had been cleaned before, I said it had been as far as I knew. Tania plugged their machine into the hallway outlet of the Condominium, to which I questioned her, she responded that they always do that. Well while they were steam cleaning the furniture (chesterfield and chair), someone unplugged their equipment. Because of this I was reprimanded by the Board of Directors. I did not like to be questioned about this. When they completed the cleaning such as it was, Tania was unrolling the area rug back into place, after which time she had asked me if I wanted it rolled back into place. I replied that I certainly would, then I saw water on the hardwood floor right in the area where she was about to roll the carpet. I said Tania there is water on the floor, so she throws the towel at me and says you clean it up, which I did. She also asked me if they should put the chesterfield and chair back in place. Of course, I would not be able to do so myself. I waited a day or so for the furniture to be dry before checking for cleanliness of the items in question. I was NOT happy with the results, so I called Customer Service on August l4th and spoke to Sharon Wilson at [protected]. She said she would send the same two technicians back on August 15th. They arrived and Tania asked what I wanted them to do. I explained that I called for their service initially because I had dirty furniture that needed to be cleaned and it is not cleaned satisfactorily. Ken said if it did not come clean on the initial cleaning it will not come out on second try. He started yelling and said he wasn't listening to any shouting, which he was the only one doing that. I am fortunate that I had my daughters here to support me and to be witnesses of this abuse to a senior citizen. Second call to Sharon Wilson about the terrible experience I had to endure. Sharon said she would send another technician in the name of Tim and Shaun, who she said were their best furniture experts. Does this mean that they have bad and good technicians doing this work? Arrangements were made for August 24th and that Sharon would call me on Saturday evening with the time that they would arrive. Again no call and I had to call to see what time they would arrive and was told between 2pm and 3pm, they did not show up at all. Every time someone was to come to clean, the furniture had to be moved, which was again another inconvenience.

Again another call to Customer Service, this time I finally got to speak with Josie Lavoie, the manager. She said Tim and a helper would come on Sept 11th, in the afternoon, I had been waiting for a call from Julie for some time, Sharon was to arrange it and it never happened.

Julie said I would get a call on Saturday evening advising me of the time Tim and helper would come. No call was received again. Again on Monday morning I had to call was told they would arrive between 12 and 1pm on Sept 11th. Tim and helper, (whom I was not introduced to) arrived at 12:20 and left at 12:50. Tim asked for the work order which I produced, then he had to go to the truck to phone someone to see what process to use. He used a solvent that did remove some of the dirt on the spots that he used it on, however the piping which he did not touch, and the cushions are still dirty. The solvent smell caused headaches and the smell lasted for days. I really feel like I have been treated very poorly which I thought was Sears policy to have happy customers. I am definitely not satisfied with the service and treatment I have received.

Up to this point, I have been a long time satisfied customer of Sears, but this experience has left a bad feeling in my mouth, and I am requesting the return of $133.56, the amount I paid out to have clean furniture. So far I am not asking for remuneration for the poor service and abusive treatment that I have put up with.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices