Safeguard Americasales staff questions

I called the 800 number for Safeguard America which turned out to be Safe Home Security. The first call I made we arranged for a representative to come round and give me a quote for activating my alarm system at my house, no-one came, n0-one called me. I should have given up then but as the number was given to me by a friend I gave them another try.
The second call was no better than the first, no apologie for the no-show had to give them all my details again, then came the twist in the tale, the person who I was speaking to me asked me for my social security number! I gave the last four digits but he said they needed to have the whole number so that they could run a credit check!!!
I said I did not know who he was, I had called one company to be answered by another, I had not recieved a quote from them so had not agreed to even consider their service, at which piont he put the phone down on me.
Be very careful when dealing with this company or any company who asks for highly sensative personal information during a sales call.