Specialty Merchandise Corporation Complaints & Reviews

Specialty Merchandise CorporationFraud

I have invested about $5000.00 for coaching, which is really another name for, "up sale, " the largest site, etc. It is worthless because the market is saturated with 1, 000s of the same site!

• Bi
    Biva Mar 02, 2011

SMC - Specialty Merchandise Corporation - SMC Gift Card Site: Lies, Run Around Simi Valley California….

I signed up with SMC earlier this year with the impression that I would have an internet site with the gift cards as an added bonus. What I got was a run arouond. The first few people I talked to signed me up as a member. A few days later I was called by my coach who informed me that I didn't have a site but was just a member. She then went on explaining to me the differend levels of programls offered.

She convinced me that the "platnum" package would work best for me and as a bonus I would ger some gift cards to give away.

A few days later I got a call from a company in Phoenix, AZ who specializes in e-stores. They informed me that my site was good for only gift cards and that the customer had to have a gift card to make a purchase. They wanted me to get their site and I could upload my SMC products to the new site. Of course this was going to cost a few thousand dallars. After that I got calls from two other similar companies also from Phoenix. And just this week another company from Phoenix called wanting to do the same thind. Althouth they deny it, I believe thay are related to SMC. How else would they know about my site as no one can find my site unless they know beforehand what it is.

SMC denied knowing anything about the companies in Phoenix but their e-commerce sattelite is in Phoenix. SMC wanted to upgrade me to a "real" internet site for $2, 000. They have since dropped down to abour $700.

They lied to me about what kind of site it actually was and refuse to make things right by giving me an actual open to anyone site. They also refuse to refund my money: $1195. I am writing the attorneys general of Arizona and California. I will not let them get away with this.

Specialty Merchandise CorporationScam

Specialty Merchandise CorporationThey Are Scam Artists

These people are nothing more than low lifes. They are LIARS!!! They reel you in with all of their lies then they take your money. I have asked SEVERAL times to cancel and they wouldn't then you try to leave messages and NOBODY call you back. Then when you do get a hold of someone they tell you that the trial program you chose is a non-refundable trial ...BULL!!! Your not given a choice of which trial you want, LIARS. They charge you before your 30 days and then they don't want to give you a refund, even if you cancelled before the 30 days. Then they have people e-mailing you that they want to purchase from your site, the site they give you during your trial period. DON'T BELIEVE THESE PEOPLE. They just want you to purchase gift cards that could ONLY be used on your site and this site could ONLY be used if the person has a gift card. I hope these people get closed down. SOMEBODY HELP get these people to refund all the money they have stolen from trusting people.

Joe Watkins Aug 21, 2009

I agree 100%. I went through the same ordeal. I finally located their corporate headquarters. Only after I screamed and yelled did they comply with my demands for a refund. Again you have to call the corporate office at 800-527-6352. Give them hell!!!

• Da
    David27 Nov 21, 2009

I was just looking for a way to make some money from home. How I ever wound up finding SMC is beyond me. Anyway I got this offer in the regular mail and, have had several e-mails wanting me to join up. Just about everything I look at online seems to be a scam, so I did a little looking and found these complaints. Maybe its just me, but I feel that any company, good or not, that has these kind of reviews needs to be avoided. The point is clear to me...Always do your research before you get your wallet out!

• Am
    A.M. Collins Dec 18, 2009

Going thru same thing, trying to get my money back, said they can't find my kit at their warehouse, that I sent back just the way they said to, in order to get my refund. Sure wish I had found this site before I gave them any money!

• Az
    azleenie Mar 10, 2010

I was looking into this company for my mother before she got involved with these people. There is nothing about them on the Better Business Bureau website which all businesses you are to trust should be listed so you know whether or not they are legit. So people, you really need to file a complaint on Better Business Bureau website at www.bbb.org so they can get these people shut down.!! Believe me, I have used the bbb.org website a time or two and got good results within a weeks time.

• Wa
    watchdog13 Oct 27, 2010

Responded by phone to a FREE website, then charged $2.95 when they set me up with a business coach. After seeing the scams they pulled I tried calling & emailing them to cancel and got bounced all over. 5 different phone numbers. Finally a girl said she put in a member cancellation, but since it is the 7th day I may get charged $59.95 and if so I needed to call them back to get that reversed. I hope that they don't bill me because I am really pissed already.

LEACHES

Specialty Merchandise CorporationMoney stealing company

I joined SMC just before Christmas with the hope to make extra money. I was told that I would only be charged $40 to start then a web hosting fee. When I received my call from my business coach I was informed that I would have to buy gift cards in order to sell on the internet or I could upgrade and not have to sell gift cards. A few weeks later I up graded but low and behold I still had to give out the gift cards but I would get special credit I could use any way that I wanted. I then received another call a few days later from a woman telling me I needed to buy more gift cards for a promotion. I was hopeful so I did. However, I failed to put two and two together.

A couple of weeks prior I received e-mails from people requesting information, because, they wanted to shop on my sight. I sent gift card #'s to these people but instead of getting customers I started to get calls several times a day from companies trying to sell me hundreds of dollars in advertising. I was informed by these people that my sight was not listed on search engines so it would be impossible for anyone to find my web site. I declined the advertising but the calls kept coming.

I didn't realize that I was being scammed until I was placing an order with a gift card. I did not understand why I had to pay for the gift card and also pay for the merchandise that was being ordered. I called customer service and asked them why this was so, but they refused to help me. I informed them that I wanted my money but they said that the gift cards were nonrefundable. The first individual I spoke with was arrogant and rude when I asked to speak with his supervisor he stated his mama was his supervisor. I never did get any ware through phone conversations and when I did get someone else she said I could close my account but I would not get any money back.

I have since filed a complaint with the FBI internet fraud department IC3, I'm not sure if they can help in this matter but I'm hoping that if enough people complain to the right authorities that we can get this company shut down.

I'm very fortunate that I found the rip-off when I did otherwise I would have probably been out a lot more money.

• Br
    bruce grover Aug 31, 2009

smc did it to me too. They did a unauthorized money transfer for 275.00 without our permission. If you are going to do any business with them DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY BANK INFORMATION. With out your permission they take money from your acct. and don't tell you. I am getting the run around trying to make them put the the unauthorized money back.

• So
    sowle Dec 30, 2009

I have to say I was very upset with as many call trying to get more money from me.They don't tell you everything up front. I know you have to spend money to make money but come on .3200 to have so many people a year to go to your site.. And people can't get to your site throw a search.. Shame on you SMC for not being honest...Not good buiness ...

• Sm
    SMC Ripoff Feb 25, 2010

I too got rooked into SMC gift cards. When I called and tried to get my money back I was told that it was refundable after I was told I could cancel my account after 21 days if I wasn't satisfied... They have send me products that I never ordered and taken the money out of my account without my permission. Now I'm stuck with gift cards and candles that I can't use. Please if anyone can help let me know. Janet

Specialty Merchandise CorporationScam artists!

SMC is a company that sounds good to others by stating that they will help you build a business using the internet to sale their merchandise under your website and they will hold the cost of warehousing the merchandise. All you have to do is start a website then advertise their products that they will ship to your customers. You get the profits of the difference in the price they charge for the product and what you advertise the product for on your website. Sounds good doesn't it. Well this is the problem they want you to buy a kit that may or may not come then they want you to use them to make the website otherwise you cant have one, then if you agree to this they say you can cancel at anytime. NO you can Not! They do not refund your money, they give you a run around then send you to collections for the membership fees that you may or may not have agreed to. I canceled my membership the very next day. Was told it would be credited to my account. This never happened! When i call the CSR i get this lets lay stupid routine the gets old after doing it over and over. I have been sent to collections for money that this company owes me. I was blocked from ordering anything on their site because in their system i was paying monthly fees instead of the yearly fee i already paid that they never refunded. So i was going to make my money back by ordering products to sell, then cancel after the year was up. No this didn't work cause i couldn't order since my monthly fee wasn't paid. What fee? I paid in in full for a year. This is when they stat they money was refunded in April that year. I sent them the copy of my bank statements from Feb to may which showed the smc transaction of their deduction and no refund. I still have yet to get my money back and have had to dispute several collection agencies on my credit report.

• Se
    seneca, sc Apr 21, 2009

wow! thanks everyone for the reviews. i was thinking about joining this company and went online to review and lord behold was i surpraised to read all this! i dont have this kind of money to give away so again thanks for the info.

• Ex
    expolorermad Jul 30, 2009

Hey some one I just joined and just got my kit and have an appointment with a coach on friday at 4:30 pm what should I do have I lost my $413.95? [email protected]

• Ad
    adlord-azam Feb 09, 2010

I joined SMC a half an hour later I saw some reviews about SMC and decided to cancel bcause I had two weeks until the money was to come out of my bank account. Two weeks later I notice that SMC had taken the money they did not cancel my order. Now I have to accept the Kit and mail it back to them. This compony is getting away with taking money from people. If you did get a web site from them no one will go to it because every one knows they can buy from SMC . Why are they still be aloud to promote themselves on television. All the complaints I have read on this company and they are still in business.

• Jr
    JRTK Jun 30, 2010

Wow! I have had nothing but a good experience so far. SMC has been very helpful and accomodating. Delivery of all goods has been very prompt. Merchandise has been of very good quality. I am so sorry you have had such bad experiences. My experience with SMC has been excellent.

Specialty Merchandise Corporation — Violated there own contract!

First I called SMCORP a man sounded very friendly but to friendly. He asked me if I had a bank account I had...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices