SmartFax.com Complaints & Reviews

SmartFax.comNo service and no response

I have paid for one year in advance on [protected].40 to SmartFax.Com. This is electronic fax service company, basically I receive all my faxes via to my email account. For 3 weeks I have not been receiving my faxes in time or sometimes 3-4 days later or not at all. I have tried calling and emailing to Smartfax and I am not getting no response email and on the number I have found I go thru an automated service and put on hold until I am told to call back later. I am requesting a refund of my remaining credit since I have had to switch to another company. Please look into this company. Something has gone bad for these guys. They should have a recording of some sort on their phone system what is going on and refund if they are no longer in business.

• Ed
    Ed Schneider/DC Mar 31, 2009

I'm on a monthly plan with Smartfax but have the same problem. No service, no connection past the auto-voice on the phone (again and again), and the sign-in for the website does not recognize me.

On the other hand, they have been billing me every 11th of the month, but they have not billed me this month (March 2009) and today is the 31st.

I suspect they are out of business but have not dismantled their connections nor informed their subscribers. There does not seem to be any way to confirm this.

Advice, anyone?

• Cb
    CBP Apr 01, 2009

Elizabeth & Ed,

Smartfax has been purchased by J2Global Communications, which goes by other names as well, and is based out of Hollywood, California. Evidently, the purchase did not go smoothly, as many people (including me) have experienced problems such as you describe. Here is J2 Global's information:

J2 Global
    6922 Hollywood Blvd. Suite 500
    Hollywood, CA 90028
    (323) 843-9301 (phone) / (323) 843-9669

Though J2 is legally responsible for Smartfax' failures to its customers, it is not taking responsibility. The Better Business Association of L.A. county gives the company an "F" rating. I strongly recommend filing a complaint with the BBB, perhaps the FCC, and calling the company until you get some satisfaction. J2's Board Chair is named Richard S. Ressler of Orchard Capital. He is reported to have earned over $700k in 2007 for sitting on the board. His office phone number is: 323.860.9550. I predict these people will do nothing until a critical mass of people make a stink.

SmartFax.comSmartFax.com is stupid and sloppy service

Earlier in 2007, I had tried SmartFax and had also had my toll free number transferred to SmartFax from uReach. After using Smartfax for a while, I decided that I did not like the features and would use SmartFax for high volume fax projects only, so in August, I initiated a transfer request to move my toll free number from SmartFax back to uReach.

SmartFax refused the request, indicating that the address and other data were not a match; when in fact - the SmartFax - my account shows exactly the same information as the information I submitted. I even included screen shots of the accessed personal account page and the emailed invoice, showing that these matched.

Then Smartfax said I do not own the number, and that is not true - I've had the number since 2004 when I first set up an account with uReach.

When I talked to a SmartFax "supervisor" - he promised to take care of it if I would resubmit another current transfer request - after a very long discussion where he could not tell me what data did not match and after I threatened to contact FCC with a complaint. He assured me that there would be no charge of the monthly fee during the transfer process.

That was weeks ago - in October, and SmartFax has still not approved my transfer request.

Mid November, I did file a complaint with FCC.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices