Shapell Homes Complaints & Reviews

Shapell HomesWorse houses ever built in California

2. I was looking for houses in Los Angeles, and have heard of Shapell Homes reputation for years, so I started my research around. Shapell Homes quality of home building has gone down since their owner, Nathan Shapell passed away in 2007, more than half of their workforces were laid off, and their new management has been a mess.
1: Majority of these executive hired by Shapell were either laid off or fired by their previous employers. Some were from bankrupted companies, Dunmore Homes in Sacramento CA and Centex Homes, etc. Didn’t the Board of Directors ever think that, perhaps, these executives might have been the reason that these companies were no longer exist??
2: Majority of them did not work for at least 2 years, even if they stated that they were consultants?? Consultants of what I am wondering? BS maybe!
3: David Ciabattari was hired by Shapell homes? Didn’t they run the background check?? They hired this little man as a Chief Financial Officer?? How can he be a CFO who is not even an accountant, not a CPA, nor has any Degree that qualifies him? Yes, he was a small division CFO at a Centex Homes that went bankrupted, I wonder why? Or I should say Pulte Homes bought Centex Homes. Did he bankrupt that division? Very probably, if not, he was definitively part of the problem, maybe that the reason he was laid off?? You decide, to not say FIRED. Are this people trying to make another Centex or Pulte with Shapell Homes??
Was or is David Ciabattari being sued in court for alleged sexual harassment, is this type of character that you want to represent your company?? Is this the type of Company that we want to buy homes from?
This is an immature, angry cheat little man. I feel sorry for his wife and children.
I am also sure the only way he was hired it’s because Matt Koart, what do I think about this man, well I do not want to really mention this hypocrite. The only things I consider strange is the following. Why would Shapell Homes hire people that were laid off and or fired from a builder up in North California and bring them down to Los Angeles, don’t we have enough qualify people here?? What is the board of Shapell thinking? Oh, yes Matt is what we call a smooth operator, lies cheat to achieve his own goals, Capable of running a company! NO, of course not, he is more worried about traveling and trying to impress people that really working.
In brief, all this new employees at Shapell are a disgrace to any working class, I am a very successful businessman, I have my own business and I can tell everybody without a doubt, I will NEVER BUY A HOME FROM SHAPELL HOMES which have been building worse and worse since these people are hired! They are a disgrace to Nathan Shapell’s Memory. If I were his family I would be ashamed of this situation. Get these people out, or sell the company to somebody who knows the business, because it definitively not them!

Shapell HomesCONSTRUCTION DEFECTS

Buyer Beware Shapell Homes sold us our worst nightmare. Shapell “Pride Of Quality” I hope that your marriage can survive it. Our hillside is moving damaging walls, slabs, pipes, tile and more. We have had two major plumbing failures causing more than 100k in damage. We have water pouring in through our walls in several places each time it rains. When we ask General Counsel for Shapell Thomas Ingram to please fix our home he told us “that you have two choices live with it or sue us”. When we did they filed suit against me involving thirteen causes of action, all of which they lost!

This is the worst and most unprofessional company I have dealt with in my 49 years. I worked very hard to purchase our home in the once upscale neighborhood in Laguna Niguel called San Joaquin Hills only to have our dream home turn into our worst nightmare. Please visit our website for additional details at www.ShameOnShapell.com S.O.S. homeowner in distress!

• Te
    teacher in Gilroy Jun 09, 2015

I purchased a Shapell built home a year ago. I am the third owner. I discovered something the inspectors had not! When I pulled up the poorly installed wood floors I discovered a saturated cement floor! (That wasn't all) I contacted my insurance company who was sympathetic however they realized it had been wet long before I purchased it. The soil is part land-fill, part whatever was there and the two don't seem to mix. I hired an attorney to help sort things out. We went to the mandated mediation- to no avail. Now this has cost me $150, 000 and I still haven't been able to move in. The home is located in Eagle Ridge, Gilroy- the site of other complaints. I can't afford to take this further on my own. Is anyone able to connect me with a class-action suit? Two years ago 50 households prevailed over Shapell and received money and repairs. I wish the prior owner had had sense enough to join in- he did not- so I am left with the problem! (The secondary problem was non-disclosure on his part- not a choice to pursue by the attorney. The above complaint is real and valid- the dream home is a nightmare!

Shapell HomesShapell &Homes of BAD Quality&

I am a homeowner in Porter Ranch for almost 10 years, like many homebuyers, we buy Shapell homes because of its supposed excellent quality. Our house has been fine until we found mold stains in our house a year ago; we made a formal complaint to Shapell's Warranty. All we got from them was just the run around. We finally decided to look for a new house in the neighborhood; we visited Shapell model homes to get an idea of new home prices. Surprisingly, we noticed the cheap quality of those new houses compared with ours, but prices were much higher! So we went to a realtor nearby who confirmed our assumptions. He said Shapell Homes quality had gone way down after its owner Nathan Shapell passed away in 2007 and laid off almost half of its employees, many were in executive positions for decades, and hired new lower salaries personnel from bankrupted public companies as one of many cost-cutting strategies, also in order to lower cost, they use lower quality building materials, but still use Shapell "Homes of Quality" to keep prices high. The realtor recommended us to consider non-Shapell Homes in Northridge instead.

• Er
    Ern Nov 29, 2010

I have issues as well on the newly turned over home (June 2010) Shapell's Cortile at Porter Ranch. The house looks cosmetically nice. But once I went over the details, it's far from the quality I expected. My fiberglass bath tub have undergone 3 repairs and another to be scheduled JUST TODAY 11.29.10 because cracks showed up again! The second repair was a serious one because the tub floor cracked open. I filed a complaint to California State License Board because I need to have something in writing just in case later on it caused a serious problem. It's a possibility that water may have leaked through and cause mold growth. Future buyers, be very cautious.

Jason Webster Jul 22, 2011

Concerning your mold problem, you should have that handled right away. Get a lawyer that will take it pro-bono (free). Evidently your a/c system is not functioning pr9perly or you have moistue from a leaking roof or bathroom or kitchen leak. We do all water restoration and remodel services and have for over 17 years. You can look up our license on sunbiz.org. Webster Consulting Company. If you are in our area, we will also help you with any insurance claim by negotiating with your insurance carrier. If you try yourself, you'll get blown off. Call us and let us know what area you are in. 727-510-1464.

JoshWilson Feb 02, 2012

The customer service person (Peter) in the Gilroy area is plain rude. He doesn't listen to what we have to say. Once he is done with what he has to say, he hangs up while I was talking.
    In general, if you have a problem that requires 2 hours to get fixed, they might consent to do the work and tell you it's a courtesy (making a favor). Otherwise, they will say no and we have no way to verify what the warranty entails.
    Before we bought a home, we kept hearing Shapell are the best homes from friends and relatives. But they dont own a shapell home but also heard those rumors

Shapell HomesPoor Quality

Shapell Homes is nothing more than an average builder with
subpar customer service. The folks at the customer service / warranty
department don't understand construction and don't have quality control.
Interested viewers can check out http://www.shapellhomessucks.com

• Sh
    Shapell Homes Jul 24, 2009

Shapell Homes' new homes have too many problems. That is the comment words you can hear almost everywhere in the new development areas. the quality of its new homes have become a major issue in the area I live. I heard a Shapell new home was flooded twice with 100 days and Shapell's warranty did not pay back the homeowners loss but told the home owners that Shapell did more than they should expected since it fixed the leaks. When yo have disagreement with its work and materials for fix the problems in the new home, Shapell would tell you that its good will offer will be off the table. Bye. You may have to go to the court to claim what you should get in its warranty. This company is in a very bad shape and has almost laid off everyone its top executives can think and worry your warranty if you decide to buy a Shapell's home with overwhelming defaults in one homes! Check to see how bad Shapell homes are at http://shapellhome.homestead.com and see how many lawsuits Shapell has for the past. Be alert!

• Sh
    Shapell Homes Jul 24, 2009

Bad service and irresponsible and heartless representatives.

• Ia
    IAMDJH Aug 12, 2009

JoshWilson Feb 02, 2012

• Mi
    Michael Hartleib Feb 24, 2012

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices