Ostling and Associates Complaints & Reviews

Ostling and Associatesslow to return the cash I paid upfront.

In early 2017 I was at a pretty low point in my life and decided I wanted a fresh start. I called a few local Bankruptcy attorneys and ended up choosing Ostling.

From start to finish, the entire process was fairly straight forward and simple. Jeffrey Abbot was my attorney, and he was genuinely pleasant to work with. I met with him on 4 different occasions, each time providing all the documentation he needed to perform his job. To my utter shock, it wasn't until the very last meeting, where I thought I was in the clear and could see the light, he dropped the bomb shell.

There are certain laws in the state of IL regarding Bankruptcy. One of those being that you may not file if you make more then X amount of dollars. You would think that this is something you would establish early on in the meeting of client/Lawyer. Let me be clear, it is not my job to know the bankruptcy law. It is and was Mr. Abbots. Turns out I make about $300/mo more than law allows.

At this point I had paid the entire amount due to the firm to file my bankruptcy. Jeff attempted to persuade me to go with chapter 13. Which wasn't something I had any interest in doing. I politely told him I needed a refund. He explained that I would need to call the head office and inform them of that.

Five minutes later I was on the phone alerting the main office to why I would be needing my refund. That was almost 3 months ago. I have called in several times and once was even "Disconnected". Each time I call, I get told that Mr. Ostling has yet to figure refunds. But that first time I called to ask for the refund, I was told he processes them once a month, towards the end, and the checks would be mailed out. And of course, I would not get a full refund.

I work in an industry that relies heavily on customer service. My overall experience with Ostling and associates has been pleasant. And had I qualified for the Bankruptcy, I very much doubt I would be having any complaints. This, however, has proven to be completely unacceptable.

Mr. Ostling, in the off chance that you read this, I ask sincerely that you rush my refund check. I do not publicly bash companies that have treated me fairly. In all honesty, I would likely still recommend your firm. Seeing as this is not a flaw in your employees, but rather a flaw on your end.

Ostling and Associatespoor service

I filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy back in 2011 with Ostling and Associates. With chapter 13, you pay so much a month to the bankruptcy court and then also a portion of your income tax refund. Back in November 2014, I was put on a medical leave of absence from my job. I had an appointment with Jeffrey Abbott from Ostling in November and gave him what paperwork I had. I dropped more paperwork off with him a few weeks later as requested by staff in Bloomington. Early January I have email other documents to them. I have been getting the run around as in no one returning calls. One phone call I was told that we should have this resolved before I was two months in arrears with the bankruptcy court. It is now 2 months and Ostling is still running me around in circles. I have not made a payment to the bankruptcy court in December or January. Now the Ostling staff wants me to drive to Bloomington next week to meet with one of their attorneys. Seriously???? Wouldn't it be easier for them to pick up the phone than for me to spend money on gas to drive from Decatur.

Ostling might be the largest bankruptcy firm but if you are doing any filing except for Chapter 7 I highly advise against using this firm. Previous complaints are right on the mark...they do NOT return calls. They receive a large portion of your money when you file Chapter 13 and pay your fee to the court every month...appears they just are in it for the money. Mr. Ostling, your staff does have all my paperwork and has had it for some time.

Ostling and Associatesbankruptcy representation

filed chapter 7 in 2008 used Ostling thru there pekin office. paid up front and always a lil more along the way. they bleed you constantly promising to get things done along the way. did most of the research myself. credit checks etc etc . by the time i went to court they sent me to the wrong place." lincoln hotel in springfield." they looked at me like i was homeless wandered in from the street. found out court was 5 blocks away behind a subway sandwich shop of all things, actually had to enter subway go out a side door into a vacant building and find the other pittiful souls to find i was in the right place finally. then no one from my esteemed attorneys office showed up.!when the judge called our name we went forward, he asked who my attorny was i told him ostling but no one has spoken to me or came forward as being my attorny. finally a woman in the back of the room reading a romance novel said they couldnt be there and she was gonna sit in for them. i dont even think she was an attorny and she didnt utter another word thru the whole process. and now 4 years later i just 2 months ago got a local hospital off my back, constanly say they never got theyre letter or papers saying i filed and they were included, also found out that theyres a judgement against my wife in the county courts here for a credit card balance that was included, ostling wont return my calls cant speak to anything but someones voice mail etc etc . THEYRE MUST BE SOME SORT OF ACTION WE CAN TAKE AGAINST THESE HACKS!!!1

another ripped off cliant May 03, 2012

I totally agree with ALL OF THE COMPLAINTS ageainst this firm. We ALL NEED to contact the attorney disciplinary board concerning them at https://www.iardc.org/index.html Only by there being NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS FILED WITH THE AUTHORITIES will anything ever happen, Together WE can get their license REVOKED!!!

another ripped off cliant May 03, 2012

I meet with Michael Blissenbach of their staff the first of March was told that the TOTAL COST WOULD BE $969. This consisted of their fee of $550, $306 for the Court filing fee, and $100 for the surrender documents for the home. At that time I PAID THEM $500 in CASH and was given a receipt for same. Their receipts are nothing special and do not bear the firm name or another indication of the Ostling Firm name and I am sure that this is a ploy that they planned carefully in that these are available from ANY OFFICE SUPPLY SOURCE. Thus they can CLAIM THAT THEY NEVER WROTE IT!!! I sent the next 6 weeks playing phone tag. Never getting beyond their telephone BOILER ROOM, they kept sending me to a voice mail, NO ONE WAS EVER available. I finally left a MESSAGE April 20, 2012 THAT ON MAY 1st. I Wanted EVERYTHING READY and I was given a 10am appointment. On May 1 @ 9:15, I finally receive MY VERY FIRST AND ONLY RETURNED PHONE CALL from Mike telling me that NOTHING HAD BEEN DONE YET and that he would give it to his legal ###... the following day to get started. I told him I had hired someone to bring me to his office based on the previously scheduled appointment that was given to me and that they WERE already on their way to pick me up. I was told it would be a TOTAL WAISTE OF TIME for me to come as HE HAD NOTHING READY and had not EVEN STARTED IT. I told him that since I was already committed to pay for the ride I would be PICKING UP EVERYTHING AND WANTED MY DEPOSIT RETRNED TO ME AS THEY HAD PROVIDED NOTHING BEYOND THE ADVERTISED ""FREE""" initial consultation. When I arrived I WAS GIVEN THE DOCUMENTS THAT I had done but was told that a check would have to be sent from their MAIN OFFICE. Today I was able to find their MAIN OFFICE PHONE NUMBER and called inquiring about the refund check and when I should expect it. The lady???? who answered was EXTREMELY RUDE AND TOLD ME THAT THEY had just received the documents (an obvious lie as these are in MY POSSESSION) and that I Wouldn't receive the REFUND FOR MY DEPOSIT minus their HOURLY FEE for ANY WORK that had been performed. WHAT WORK???????? the did nothing. The FIRST MEETING IS ADVERTISED AS FREE -- If they plan on charging me THAT'S FALSE AND MISLEADING ADVERTISING AND THAT IS FRAUD!!! FRAUD IS A CRIMINAL FELANY!!! As I had already done ALL ON THE LEG WORK MYSELF. I went ahead and purchased the software myself and am filing PRO-SE it will only me the Court filing fee of $306 plus the $50 for the software program and my friend can also se the software to do his. Let All join together in a class action against this ### bucket. Begin by filing a complaint at the Illinois Judicial Review and disciplinary board website. https://www.iardc.org/index.html

another ripped off cliant May 03, 2012

WE HAVE A MAJOR ADVOCATE ON OR SIDE --- LET'S USE HER !!!
    This is what she is trying to do to Ostling's Major Competitor - Let's get her to also do it to Ostling ---
    Copied from Illinois Attorney General website: --- Monday October 24, 201
    In an article on www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com, Madigan stated, “’These companies are nothing more than scam operations, illegally charging consumers upfront fees but doing no work to help modify their loan or negotiate with creditors. They scammed families out of thousands of dollars while putting people deeper in debt and at higher risk for foreclosure.’”
    Suits were filed against Debt Care Financial Group Inc., and its president Malgorzata Baran; Starlex Financial Consulting LLC; Flagship Mortgage Corporation, and its employees Jeffrey M. Entratter and Neil Borland as well as E.A.C. Financial LLC, and its owners Everett D. Pope and Colbi Andry.
    In her lawsuit against Debt Care Financial Group and its president, Madigan said the defendant advertised debt settlement and loan modification services in Chicago’s Polish community, promising to reduce the consumers’ debt by 50 to 70%. They charged clients at least $66, 000 for work that was never performed while repeatedly ignoring requests for refunds. In some cases, Ms Baran also allegedly harassed or intimidated her clients.
    Starlex Financial and Flagship Mortgage charged clients between $500 and $950 in upfront fees for loan modification services that were never performed; these consumers lost almost $5, 000 in the schemes.
    Madigan also alleged that E.A.C charged consumers upfront fees as high as $2, 000 each to help get them a loan modification or resolve their debt. These clients were instructed to cease making payments to their creditors while the alleged debt-relief services were being provided, leaving many consumers facing higher payments than those with which they had started.
    The lawsuits seek court approval to close these businesses and obtain repayment for their clients. In addition, the suits seek to prevent the defendants from providing mortgage rescue or debt settlement services in Illinois and to order each defendant to pay civil penalties for violations of the Consumer Fraud or Mortgage Rescue Fraud Act.
    It is important to remember that allegations by a government regulator are not factual until proven. However, the allegations made in the above cases are a good reason why you should hire a licensed attorney for loan modification or debt alternatives. Macey Bankruptcy Law can offer bankruptcy alternatives, and can also help you with any of your debt needs, including loan modifications or non-bankruptcy alternatives. We have helped over 100, 000 consumers since 1994 with their debt problems. For your free initial consultation, please call 800-260-1402 or long onto www.maceybankruptcylaw.com.
    (Macey is Ostling's Biggest Competitor)
    ***** Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has filed lawsuits against three Chicago area companies for fraudulent mortgage rescue and debt settlement schemes that apparently cheated consumers out of thousands of dollars. Madigan filed the lawsuits in Cook County Circuit Court, alleging the three companies “took large upfront fees from consumers with a promise to help them obtain a loan modification on their mortgage or to reduce their mounting debt, when in fact, little or no work was performed on the consumers’ behalf.”

Ostling and AssociatesBancruptcy

Lars Ostling cannot be trusted. My wife and I met with him and discussed the outcome of our current financial situation. He assured us that his reputation represented himself. He is "The Largest Bancruptcy Attorney" and always gets his way. Our situation would be best taken care of by Lars himself. Great! He told us what he would do personally and how much that it would cost. Great! We set our goals, sold a camper to pay the amount requested and felt better about our future. After meeting 3 times with him and paying him the third of four payments and Lars assuring us that everything was going as planed, things changed. The fourth visit we were unexpectantly not meeting Lars as planned. Instead got sent to another lawyer in the office. That lawyer proceeded to tell us that none of the original plans were going to be used and that they would need more money to go a different route. We asked to speak to Lars and were told that he was not available. We called and tried to speak with him and was told that he was not available and we also received no return call. We called and asked for our money back since we paid Lars with the agreement of him taking care of the bancruptcy in his way, but the office told us that they would have to tally up the amount of time the business had invested and possibly issue a partial refund. I thought that it meant something when someone gave you their personal word and you put your confidence that person. That is why my first statement is "Lars Ostling cannot be trusted".

• Fo
    Former Client 2 Sep 28, 2010

I agree, his "Service and Satisfaction" is a piece of paper with nothing to back it up but more lies, HE WILL NEVER CALL YOU BACK, you get pushed off on a legal assistant who is a 20 something girl with low self esteem. I have seen him first had yell at his employees, cuss and tell them they are worthless, everyone working in the office scatters to avoid being yelled at, it is like watching someone in an abusive relationship flitch when that partner comes near them.

He also hands off all follow up appointments to some girl who can not be more than 20, perhaps his mistress, she has no clue, and I doubt that she has ever owned real estate in her life, clueless.

I also hear rumors that this girl crashed his car while drunk and kept her job, what kind of place is this.

• anotherpissedoffclient Aug 24, 2012

I also got screwed by Ostling. Due to a complaint that I filed with the attorney general's fraud division, which she forwarded to the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission, he is currently under investigation. Please help me to get him DISBARRED by sending a copy of your complaint to them at:: ATTORNEY REGISTRATION AND DISCIPLINARY COMMISSION, ATTN: GARY S. RAPAPORT SENIOR COUNSEL, ONE NORTH OLD CAPITAL PLAZA, SUITE 333, SPRINGFIELD, ILLINOIS 62701

Ostling and Associates — Bankruptcy attorney

these guys are total jacks. I paid for my case in full and was told we could do filing in a week. They never...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices