Paul Davis RestorationDangerous Recostruction

We had a house burn down in the last half of 2009. Paul Davis told our insurance people that they could build the hosue in four months. We live in Alaska. Construction season is over in late October in my area. We got the insurance check at the end of November. PD gave us house plans for a a house worth almost twice the amound of what we could afford and charged us for the blueprints. (Where we live, you don't buy a half a million dollar house. Our neighbors are trashy.) We were still in shock, gave them the cash but we didn't go with them when I realized that they don't build homes that are not palatial.

Up here, they have a decent reputation, but anyone who goes with them needs to let them know in writing that they want to see IDEAS first, see what they have on file, the work they do. When you are in shock, everything sounds OK, everyone seems comforting.

Right now we are fighting insurance because Paul Davis said it would only take four months to build the house. Anyone who lives in South Central Alaska knows that you can't build anything in that amount of time-- you ask for a permit, you wait. You call to remind the office that you need the permit. You wait, you call, you get the permit, you build, you ask for an inspection, they lose your paperwork. You call, they must have lost your paper work, you be nice in spite of being mad, maybe bake the office brownies :-) and get back on to the list. They come out, there is a problem (often genuine) so your bulder fixes it. You go back and ask for them to inspect. They get out, if it passes, you get to apply for another permit. Then you go on like this. . . now we are trying to explain to insurance why their estimate was wrong.

The thing is, right after a momumental loss like this, you may be sick (suffering from damage from the fire) or your family may be sick, you have so much happening, and it is easy to misunderstand and put your faith in people who want to act like your house burning down was the equivalent of winning the lottery. Your life has been turned upside down and you won't be looking up complaints on builders or restorers.

• Ta
    Tampa Homeowner Feb 19, 2013

settlement reached...please delete this string

• Je
    jeweldbabe Mar 28, 2012

this must be a standard for these companies i live in oregon and yes i am having the same problem ..i am.currently still not in my home 1 room fire no blowout. 8 months later they ruined almost all the contents not in the fire./...

• Aa
    A A Jul 08, 2011

I agree with all or parts of every other compaint. Paul Davis Restoration of Houston pretends to be a restoration and construction company, but they are NOT a competent builder. They are basically fire engine chasers. They took nine months to rebuild my house after a fire. It should have taken four! Weeks went by with slow or no work. They had two superintendents, four different work crews, and many delays through out the project. Most subs couldn't speak English. A few of their contractors were ok such as painters, electricians, and trim guys, but the first crew of carpenters rebuilt the roof so badly it had to be rebuilt, the window installers put windows in crooked, gutters all leaked, and the plumbers stole my old copper pipes and redid the drains more than once! Failed inspections, excessive charges, slow work, and no work hallmarked the whole project! And get this - they failed to present a $17, 000 bill for cleanup to my insurance company or to me. Two years after I find out they turned it over to a collections bureau for non-payment!!! Even after my insurance company paid the bill and admonished them for harassment, I was still getting dunning letters. They are completely incompetent and untrustworthy. Avoid!

• Dm
    dmdlvr Jun 02, 2011

We also are having problems with PDR in Pennsylvania, the quality is so poor we've had to have most areas re-done by a reputable contractor and as many have stated, once you get someone compitent in the house, they find many more things that are not up to code or were done poorly. They obviously aren't verifying the workmanship of the contractors they brought in, we are getting ready to file suit against them and State Farm as the adjuster just wants us to agree to the settlement that is several thousand less than what is cost us to have the work done right after PDR cut corners and provided poor quality. They also committed fraud, advising our adjuster that they had completed some items like house wrap but when we checked under the siding, big suprise -- no house wrap. Now we have to pay someone to check all the work they did so we can make sure everything is documented in our lawsuit. My best advice, don't use PDR in South Central PA.

MarkHSP May 02, 2011

These complaints are very unfortunate. I work for a Paul Davis franchise in Texas, and in terms of customer satisfaction, we are ALWAYS rated #1 in our entire region, with scores well above our competitors. Our crew is skilled, knowledgeable, professional and certified in many restoration practices and processes. We abide by every law, rule, regulation, code, etc. We send ownership and crew members to various training seminars and classes. Our estimates are always right on target, and in fact, I even had one of my estimates rejected by the insurance company because I had sketched one of the rooms such that it was off by half a square foot, which made a 19-cent difference in the cost of painting that room. The point is, we have an excellent reputation in our region, and even the insurance companies help us to maintain that reputation by pointing out tiny little errors like that; they like us, and they want us to stay on top. So we do.

• Mo
    MomofThree Jan 16, 2011

they use subcontractors with the bare minimum of insurance coverage and license. they make AT LEAST 40% profit. they are franchises and there doesnt seem to be any kind of accountability to the "corporate" office. all they're doing is charging you for calling the local subcontractor that you could call yourself.

• On
    One angry person Jan 13, 2011

Yep I totally agree! I am having major issues now with Paul Davis

• Mi
    Michard Dec 29, 2010

substandard work. Took out my entire roof for a small damage and billed me a thumping sum. Charhged my credit card without my authorization. Threatened me with a law suite with abusive language. Save time and money use service pro much professiona firm with quality work.

• Sh
    shiamal Dec 03, 2010

you could complain to the main franchise and also to the State Attorney general's department consumer fraud.

• Sh
    shiamal Jul 22, 2010

During a storm on June 23rd, 2010, my basement was flooded. I searched the internet and called several contractors and received two verbal quotes one for $ 2K (dry the wall, clean the contents and disinfect) and the other for $ 5K to complete the basement including change the tiles. Then I contacted my insurance agent and she recommended a contractor Paul Davis Restoration of DuPage County. I contacted Paul Davis and a gentleman contacted me and said he was authorized by Allstate to complete what ever needs to be done on my basement. I asked him how much it would cost me and asked for a estimate. He mentioned to me that he works for Allstate and he would be dealing with them. I called my agent and she said to go ahead and get the work through Paul Davis. I then signed a authorization form to do the work on my basement. Then I called Allstate and they mentioned to me that they have not authorized any contractor and it is up to me to do the work. I then called Paul Davis and asked for a written estimate and they mentioned to me Paul Davis does not give written estimates and they directly deal with Allstate since they were in the preferred list. I mentioned to them that I have a cap of $ 10K and I need to know how much it will cost me. They assured me it is a small basement and the cost will be very much below my cap. Sunday three sub-contractors came at 9.30 and worked till 4.30 with a one hour lunch break.

On Tuesday the Allstate adjuster came and looked at the damage and casually mentioned to me why the floor was taken out. Finally the Allstate adjuster gave his estimate for the total water damage (without the contents) to be $ 8, 071.67 (including replacing the floor) and for the work done so far should be around $ 1, 750.

I contacted Paul Davis on Tuesday June 29th and they said the cost is going to be over $ 10, 000 but they will do it for $ 10, 000. I told them to take all there equipment from my premises and I will pay for the work done so far. I received an invoice for $ 5, 735.19 from Paul Davis for the work done so far. I protested as the amount was too high compared to quotes received and what was originally approved by Allstate.
    I had many correspondences with Paul Davis adjuster Richard Kramer and he refuse to adjust the invoice. I agreed to Pay double the amount initially approved by Allstate ($1, 750) $ 3, 500.

The reasons why I think Paul Davis is over charging, unethical, fraudulent and misleading consumers,
    1) Removed my floor. I was told by many contractors I spoke to (including the Allstate adjuster) when there is concrete and the floor is rubber and vinyl the floor need not be taken out.
    2) Paul Davis used excessive machines to charge me for a small basement with water that had drained out. Paul Davis used two extra large dehumidifiers for four days and five fans for four days. Allstate initial authorization and all the other contractors I spoke to said this was excessive to make money. The water had drained out by Wednesday and none of the walls were wet. Due to this excessive usage my air conditioner, microwave and fridge was damaged (I have receipts for the repairs I did).
    3) Pau Davis did not have or decided to work on a Sunday and charged me for after hours work.
    4) The work done/invoice was above $ 1, 000 and I was not given a written estimate before for the work to be done.
    5) I was misled by saying the work was authorized by Allstate and obtained my signature to do the work.

Please do not do any work with Paul Davis Restoration of DuPage County. People are dishonest and all about getting money from the insurance. This was confirmed by another victim of my subdivision. Paul Davis use subcontractors and charge you 1000%. I have also written to the state Attorney general. Considering a lawsuit if I can find more victims to support.

• Ta
    Tampa Homeowner Apr 17, 2010

I agree 100 percent. It appears they specialize in "insurance losses" because they have standing agreements with the insurance companies as "preferred vendors" so they are not watched to closely. In our case the estimate they developed had so many errors it never would have been approved for a home owner but it was accepted since they are a "preferred vendor".

It also puts them in contact with "casualties of disaster" when they are still in shock and their defenses are down. By time you figure out theres a problem its too late you've already sign with them.

Hope your situation works out better we have been stuck in a lawsuit for over 3 years now.

• Ty
    tyne Mar 03, 2010

I too have had problems with Paul Davis Restoration, in Tallahassee Florida. They do shoddy work and charge and 5 times what the work is worth. I had a house fire in 2009. They showed up unsolicited (said they got a tip from the fire dept also said they were listening to a scanner) . They "hounded" me to do the boarding. They did a lousy job, did not board all the windows and the wind blew the boards down off the door. Before, I gave them the job I called my insurance adjuster, who assured me they were a good reliable company. Paul Davis Restoration charged at least 5 times what the work was worth. When the insurace company was slow paying the claim, Paul Davis Restoration placed a lien on my property!!! they are slicked mouthed "ambulance chasers;" what they are not, is carpenters.

• Ho
    house fire survivor Oct 01, 2009

I also had a horrible house fire in May of 2008. The fire department suggested Paul Davis Restoration to complete repairs, and I eagerly agreed. After one month, my house sat in a stinking mess, mold grew in the basement, my antique furniture and everything else I owned sat in the stench. PD didn't do one thing to help me. I finally wised up. I fired Paul Davis and became the general contractor. With the help of friends and family, my house is now alsmost finished. Almost $300, 000.00 spent on my home, belongings, repairs, code upgrades, etc... I earned my 20% and had my house rebuilt exactly the way I wanted. I am a a former school teacher and a 36 year old single mom...If I could do this, anyone can! These people are crooks and tried to take me (and my insurance company) for a ride. I will never recommend these folks to anyone. Getting rid of them was the best thing I ever did! Thank god I trusted my instincts.

• Fi
    Fire Survivor Kansas Jun 18, 2009

I too, have had many of the same problems and still trying to figure out how to get back into my home.

Many, many problems. Insurance adjuster goes along with everything they say. So, frustrating. I am so glad I didn't lose very much of my house in the fire. I am still considering a seperate inspection of my attic, I too, had truss repair, and think they cut to many corners on the repairs. I saw that they were cutting corners on my awning and didn't let them put it up.

I wouldn't recomend them to anyone. Just made my life a nightmare. I shouldv'e gone with my instincts and not with the PDR man the insurance adjuster brought with him. I feel there is some serious fraud going on and the consumer is the person who doesn't get the products the insurance company is paying PDR.

Please, please find someone else, or take your time and hire your own help!!!