[Resolved] Netcareeugene marais hospital emergency @ trauma unit

B Aug 16, 2018 Review updated:

On Monday, 29 January I was taken to the Eugene Marais Hospital Emergency @ Trauma Unit. I had dislocated my shoulder and was in the unit within 15 minutes after the accident.

Upon arrival, I had to complete a first-time visitor form and subsequently wait more than an hour for help even though it was a quiet Monday evening and my file was labelled SPEED.

It was only after a nurse refused to find me a wheelchair and I was forced to walk, causing excruciating pain, that another nurse noticed me. Had it not been for the fact that another nurse heard my wail, I would've had to wait even longer.

After the accident, and upon visiting my orthopaedic surgeon, I was informed that the hospital had a strict policy to attend immediately to shoulder dislocations - but this did not happen. My emergency was filed, and the document ignored until someone noticed my pain. Is this how hospitals work? Unless you cry out in pain, you're simply not helped, regardless of whether you're in serious need of attention? Since I had to wait for assistance for well over an hour after arrival, my injury resulted in nerve damage too. This is something I'm still struggling with today.

My anger is that this could've been prevented had the unit followed policy and best practice procedures. If what my doctor told me is true, please investigate why no one assisted me for so long without good reason? You're welcome to compare my in-patient time with others on the same night (to investigate the amount of staff versus resources [like beds} and types of emergencies that night).

Also, my time of arrival, X-rays and discharge should all be on file for your review: From the Emergency & Trauma unit, I only received a Medical Certificate to show that I was unfit for work the following two weeks, and X-rays from the Radiology department. These do not include any timestamps, but I'm sure everything should be on record on their systems. The rest of my documentation comprise surgery documents following the injury.

I would like feedback on your investigation. Why was this emergency dealt with such carelessness? Did the unit fail to follow policy?

Emergency & Trauma Unit: Patient number: 0265691
Account number: 93197
Radiology Unit: Account number: DA57199

• Netcare's response · Aug 17, 2018

Good day

Thank you very much for bringing your concern to our attention.

Unfortunately Eugene Marais Hospital is not a Netcare hospital but a life hospital, may you kindly contact them on https://www.lifehealthcare.co.za

Sincerely
    Netcare Group Customer Service

• Resolution Statement

• De
    Debbie Roodt Oct 12, 2018

Please let families look after their elderly loved ones when they in hospital. Eugene Marais hospital started with strick visiting hours from October 2018 It was a very traumatic time when my mom was there she could not communicate but we were able to help her with everything because the old people is scared for the staff and they also hurt the old people because they very fragile. So please we don't want to be in the way even if you allow us there more than the visiting hours you have now.