Nationwide Home WarrantyWon't Honor the Terms of the Contract

M

In February, 2017, I filed a claim to repair a refrigerator. I was told by the technician who they assigned that the compressor on my 6 year old Maytag refrigerator was bad. I spoke with Sasha Martinez (on 3/6 and 3/19) who told me that Nationwide denied the claim saying since I didn't have maintenance records showing I maintained the unit, the claim was closed. According to the Manufacturers users guide, all the maintenance and cleaning are things you can do yourself as part of normal care and cleaning. Nationwide told me that since I could not provide proof that I maintained the refrigerator according to the manufacturer’s requirements, the claim was closed. I provided information from the manufacturer about what they required but to no avail. When I asked to cancel they told me I couldn't cancel.

The contract states the following: "You are responsible for providing maintenance and cleaning on covered items as specified by the manufacturer to ensure continued coverage of such items. Nationwide reserves the right to request maintenance records". If the manufacturer's 'care and cleaning' suggestions are only related to basic cleaning and replacement of the water filter, I don't know what else they want me to provide. They are asking for receipts but how to you provide proof that you cleaned your refrigerator, I have not receipts for the water filters I purchased over the last 6 years, and no where in the contract does it state that I am to provide receipts from anyone. I asked that if I could provide receipts that I purchased a water filter (which has nothing to do with a bad compressor), would that be sufficient ‘proof’ and I was told no.

They also told me I have the option to pay for the repair myself ($700), submit the receipts to them and they would review and determine whether it should be reimbursed. Yea, right.

WHAT A BUNCH OF SHARKS!!!

• Ro
    Roha Jul 07, 2010

I totally agree with this person. I think this home warremty company is a big scam. They do not answer any phone calls as they do not have any representatives to take service calls. They employ only sales persons to get more scapegoates to fall for their scam. I made 2 service calls in the period of 10 months and both of them were denied because they asked for the maintenance records. The deal is if the service charges are less than $100 then they will pay for it but if servicing chanrges are even a $ more than 100 then they will not payfor it unless you provide the documents supporting that the system/equippment aws regularly serviced. In tha absence of such documents your claim will be denied. I ended up paying from my own pocket in both the instances. This home warrenty is a scam and they will not cover any repairs in your house. Please, keep away from this home warrenty company. Is there any way we can get our money back????? or we can complain to any agency so that at least others will keep away from these people and avoid getting ripped off like us.

• Th
    This can't be true May 24, 2010

I am in Mississippi and have just had the same problem. We have had this insurance for 10 months and just now needing to file a claim. I can't get an answer on the phone and no response to my email. As it is my airconditioner, I have no choice but to call my own service person. I can't believe they are getting away with this!

• Fl
    Florida unhappy May 03, 2010

I would love to sue these suckers as they took my money and have not return my phone calls for service. Pls email me [email protected] for class action lawsute against this company for ripping off hard working people of the great nation.

• De
    Devin L. Mar 31, 2010

If you're reading this, I'm sure you already know that Nationwide Home Warranty is absolutely awful. If you don't believe the reviews, just check the Better Business Bureau--I've included a link.

They are not a BBB accredited company, and they receive an "F" rating on a scale from A+ to F. Conversely, American Home Shield is an accredited company, and received and A+ rating.

That should tell you enough. Steer clear of Nationwide Home Warranty.

• Gm
    g.mohammad Jan 28, 2010

when my water heater started to leak in my garage i called they were very eager to have contract signed document since it was done opver the phone not to mention that the contract was on month to month started eight months ago, any way some local plumber showed up and suggested that needs replacement well it all went down the hill from their not resonsible enough after putting you on hold for 20 min calls were dropped, now they are asking for maintence well that is the warranty we bought thinking the manafacture warranty expired well get them to cover the breakage .buy boy were we wrong...

• Si
    S. Iqbal Dec 15, 2009

"Buyer Beware" - All of us should file a class action suit against Nationwide Home Warranty.

I notice water in my basement coming from a main drain pipe. It was on a Friday night. I call the 800 number and of course there is no one available after 5:00pm and week-ends, the recorder tells you to file your claim on line. I did just that and heard from no one by phone or the net. Monday morning I called again and finally spoke with someone who took my information contacted a plummer who got in touch with me later that day. He arrived the next morning (Tuesday) at 8:30 am. He look over the situation and called for verification to do the work. He spent over an hour on his phone trying to explain what the problem was. The leak I have is coming from a pipe in the wall on the second floor bathroom. The rep. the plummer was talking with keep asking if the leak was due to neglect or someone had damaged the pipe. The plummer repeatly said no, it's in the wall and no one could damage the pipe. Finally the claim rep gave up and said that he could not approve the claim untill he knew what the leak was caused from, in order to find this out, the plummer needed to rip out the vanity and tear out the dry wall to get to the pipe. The rep said he would contact his supervisor to get the approval since the problem was not visible and he will get back with him. The plummer said warranty did not cover the cost of getting to the pipe only the repair of the pipe and he wanted to charge me 400.00 to rip every thing out and another 400.00 to but it back... I told him to hold on, lets see what Nationwide has agreed to. Well as of today neither I nor the plummer have heard from Nationwide. I called yesterday and today and I still have not heard back from them. I work in the insurance industry and if I treated my clients this way I would be sued. I intend to contact the Missouri General Attorney's office and file a complaint.

• Ka
    KAUTZ Nov 11, 2009

Nationwide is a big rip-off and refused to pay for a claim which was clearly covered under our policy. We previously had HomeShield which we NEVER had a problem with...always friendly, fast and fixed problems within 24 hours usually. We made the mistake of going with Nationwide thinking it was a bigger better company since they are "always on your side". Come to find out the only side they are on is their bank account. We moved into a home and in less than 2 months the garage door was not working. We called Nationwide and explained and they of course said no problem we will send a contractor our...just pay your $60 'copay' and we will get it taken care of. The company came out, diagnosed the problem, submitted it to Nationwide and low and behold they denied the claim asking for our maintenance records. We explained that we just moved into the house and upon the home inspection it was shown to be in working order. They again said no problem, submit that and we will accept that. Again they denied the claim wanting the previous maintenance records...which hello we don't have as we just bought the home and who really gets maintenance records on a garage door??? After speaking with numerous supervisors they refused to pay the claim, refused to cancel the policy and pretty much told us our whole warranty will not cover a single thing since there are no records...funny they didn't mention this while accepting our almost $2017.00 !!! BEWARE of this company as they are useless, helpless, rude and money hungry!!!

• Ji
    JimfromNJ Oct 05, 2009

Charged my DEBIT card for a warranty on a house I didn't own. I made 5 phone calls which where never returned. When I finally got someone to answer they said the credit would be processed. That was 2 weeks ago and I still have $280 missing from my bank account. Called again and someone told me they only process credits every couple weeks and I should be patient.

I doubt I will ever see the $ again. I talked to my bank, but they said since the company promissed to refund it they will not take action for 45 days.

• Si
    Sissy85 Sep 30, 2009

I just had the same issue with them. They are refusing to pay to have my A/C compressor replaced. They said I need to provide maintenance records, what a bunch of crap, they just don't want to pay the 1500.00. They were just out two months ago on the other unit I have and fixed a switch, they didn't request any maintenance records at that time...why not?, I'll tell you why not, because it wasn't a big ticket item. Now I have to pay out of my pocket to have my a/c fixed. What is the use of having a home warranty if it doesn't do it's job. this is just a bunch of crap! I will never buy another home warranty!

Chun Sep 28, 2009

When I read all the complaint about Nationwide Home Warranty, I can see myself . I had the same problem about my A/C claim. I've been waiting more than 48 hours, still no one contact me yet. I had called the contractor twice, they said the warranty company still not send out the work order to them. So they can't do anything about it. My A/C is leaking inside the house, I need to pull the water out every hour. I cannot shut down the A/C, it is because 94 degrees outside.
    And I still need to wait for five more months, until the one year contract is done.
    Every disappointed with this Nationwide home warranty.

• Jc
    JCOLWELL Sep 24, 2009

I wish I had read this before I had signed with them. Just had my first horrible experience with this company. More people to need to see this post.

• Jc
    JCOLWELL Sep 24, 2009

Similar thing happened to me, just this week. This company (Nationwide) has found a way to scam unsuspecting home owners.

Batchelj Sep 02, 2009

After eight months in the home I purchased we started having a leak in the ceiling in the bedroom. It is a small leak but it did leak each team it rained and started to stain. We had a Nationwide Home Warranty and it stated in our contract that leaking ceilings in the primary residence (bedroom would be covered) are covered. I called the first time to report and they told me a contractor would be calling and to expect a $60 co-pay. I didn't hear anything from a contractor so I called again and they said to expect to hear something by the end of the week. I tried a third time and got the same response. It has now been three weeks without any resolution. They just called trying to renew my contract but I don't even know what my $400 would cover. Send your money to this company at your own risk.

• Cr
    Cress Diglio Aug 25, 2009

I purchased a home warranty from Nationwide Home Warranty om February 27, 2017. On April 30 my central air conditioning was not working and I called Nationwide. They sent an air conditioning service company to my home. The technician told me I need freon and he informed me that it was not covered under my warranty. I paid him $234.30. A few days later the system was not cooloing very well. I called the service company and they sent the tech out again. This time he told me I had a leak in the coils and it was unrepairable. He told me that since my system was only 10 SEER's that I would need an entire new system. He notified Nationwide and that is when my nightmare began. I filed a claim with them on June 2, and they were unresponsive. It was nearly impossible to get someone on the phone and they would not respond to e-mail. When I was able to reach someone they would put me on hold anf forget about me or pick up the phone 30 minutes and hang it up. I was persistent and over a two month period I spoke with several people. The answers I received were the exact same answers that I have read in some of the other complaints I found on this web site. They requested detailed maintenance records which I supplied them with. I have always had my HVAC system serviced twice a year and had proof. I got one excuse after the other. They told me at first they didn't receive the information I had teh maintenance company send it directly to Nationwide three times. After three months of fighting with various people at Nationwide I was told they denied my claim because I had not maintaine the system properly. Thsi was definetly not the case and I prved it to them. In their contarct there is no mention of pre-existing conditions or that you needed proof of maintenaance. The only recourse aI have is to arbitrate this matter in Brookly, New York as per their contarct. I tried to have the American Arbitration Association handle this but Nationwide would not respond. If I absolutely must I will make the trip to New York in order to prevent Nationwide from continuing this horrific scam on unsuspecting home owners. I am also going to file complaints with the State Attorney, Department of Consumer Fraud and the BBB in New York and my home state of Florida. Companies like this must be stopped. I kept a telephone log with names and dates. I also have copies of all the e-mails that went back and forth. I would be glad to sprovide copies at your request. I wish I had researched this company before I paid tehm for a warranty that is useless.

• Cl
    Clarence Gaines Aug 21, 2009

I intially bought the home warranty plan in March, I purchase one for my home I occupy and a rental. I made several calls a month or so later to have my pool remote fixed and they told me I didn't have that covered. I argued with them advising I would not have bought the warraty, knowing I have a pool and not include it. Got no where. I then called for ceiling fan repair, no one has called me back and to this day, I am still trying to reach them, however, to no avail. I would love to sue for my refund, if anyone is suing please advice, I will love to join. This is the worst home warrnty company I have ever delt with. Fankley they suck.

• Ta
    T. Averhart Aug 14, 2009

This company is the biggest rip off that I have ever seen. My wife and I submitted a claim for a leaking sprinkler. It took me three weeks to finally get a call back. After leaving eight messages and being promised by a sales rep that they would get someone to call me back. I sent in the email and also did the fax submital. They are so nice when you want to get coverage and then send you to the VULTURES when you need help with a claim. They want get anymore money from us I bet you.

• Ko
    Kolowalski Jul 23, 2009

Just horrible incompetant service from day 1. When you call them and want to get to a sales person for coverage, someone picks up right away. They have NO problems taking your credit card number and charing you right away - showed up on my credit card statement the next day. Mean while they send me NOTHING. I'm thinking that they haven't sent me anything so they must have all the information that they need from me. Then 7 months into the warranty, my pool exuipment breaks so I call them up. First they gave me a hard time because I did not sign their contract that I never recieved. After that, they had trouble sending me the proper documents that I needed, and just told to me to sign and fax it in. At this point I just want to get it fixed. I point out thier fault of not sending me the porper materials, after taking my money I wasn't covered... so I ask for a refund. They don't do that and extended my contract.
    It's been 3 months now that I've wanted this fixed, they never followed up and NEVER told us that we needed a "maintinance" report for the pool. We clean and maintain our pool our selves and don't have one. So they tell us that it's not covered. WELL WHAT THE HELL AM I COVERED FOR? YOU TAKE MY MONEY BUT PRODIVE NO SERVICES. It's a total rip off and I should have checked before I signed up, but this company is a fraud and has TONS of complaints from all over the country. DO NOT GO WITH Nationwide Home Warranty. THEY are HORRIBLE.

Barb F. Jul 21, 2009

Don't give them a dime! In fact, I recommend you request a refund for what you have already paid. Complain to the BBB and the NY State Atty General's office. That's the only way we got our refund was by filing against them.

• Hj
    HJd Jul 21, 2009

same thing happen to us also. They closed my claim because we do not have old maintenace records. we joined for a 1 year but we paid only for 6 month. Now they are asking next 6 month pay. do not know what to do? pay them remaing amount or not?

• Cs
    C. Soll Jul 17, 2009

I paid in full on my credit card $469.00 to Nation Wide Home Warranty. I had an electrical problem with my pool sweep. I could not reach a live person for over a week. I spent hours on the phone, emailed them endlessly. Finally, they sent out Certified Pool of Stockton, Ca. He collected $60.00 from me and said they told him I needed to pay $60.00 more for an electrician. I have now spent 120 minutes on the phone and still can not reach them. To date, my pool still can not sweep and it has been since July 5th, 2017. SCAM ARTISTS!!

• La
    Lauren Tyler Jul 13, 2009

I purchased a home warranty protection plan to cover any major problems that may arise, I have had no claimes in 1 1/2 years yet when my a/c went out Nationwide acted like they had never heard of me. First I had to wait 24-48 hours, then I just got the run around for three days, then they were sending Fredericks Machine (which is another high class outfit) who didn't show up (tried to call Fredericks but business phone was pay as you go/disposable, so now we are on day 7 and nobody is answering at Nationwide. They couldn't have gone out of business, they make way too much money off of shmucks like me. In addition to filing this complaint I have also filed a complaint with the BBB and The New York State Attorney Generals Office. This company on the whole is probably as bad as Bernie Madoff.

• Cr
    Crabby Jul 01, 2009

Nationwide Home Warranty is the worst company I have ever dealt with. DO NOT USE THEM EVER. I hope this company goes bankrupt very soon. They have the worst customer service, they deny any and every claim they can possibly find any reason to, and they are absolutely worthless. When you call to "check on the status of a claim", the automated system tells you the fastest way to make a claim or check a claim is via email, then hangs up on you. If you manipulate the system and try talking to another department to have them transfer you, they tell you they can't transfer (they don't have that capability). However, since I'm a phone system technician, I had the ### describe they phone he was using, and that phone does have transfer capability. He was either too stupid to know how to push the "TRANS" button or just did not want to do it. After explaining this to him, he hung up on me. You aren't the only one having problems talking to them. The contractor they send to your house has to call them to get authorizations to do repairs. They can't get through either and the system hangs up on them after being on hold for 30 minutes. I know, I tried calling as a contractor as well. If there is a good lawyer out there, I think they should try and make some type of legal case against the business. Wipe their ### out!!

Barb F. Jun 10, 2009

Hey Johnnyg!
    These "covered" appliances were in a condo we bought that had previous owners with no maintenance records, and Nationwide knew that, didn't ask any questions, just reassured us all would be covered...

Read between the lines, folks...this guy works for Nationwide, I'm sure! His is the same lingo that is obviously in the training manual for the idiots they have manning the phones taking customer's complaints!!!

johnnyg5419 Jun 10, 2009

It sounds like the customer did not maintain the equipment as stated by manufacturer. If you were to buy a new car and your engine burned up because you didn't change the oil or put water in the radiator do you think they would fix your car. No you are responsible to hire someone to do the maintenance if you don't know what you are supposed to do to maintain it and show proof that it has been done. Sounds like someone trying to get something for nothing as usual.

• Pi
    pissed off customer Jun 10, 2009

PLEASE READ!! DO NOT PURCHASE FROM NATIONWIDE HOME WARRANTY. I REPEAT DO NOT SPEND YOUR MONEY WITH THIS COMPANY! THIS COMPANY IS THE BIGGEST PILE OF S**T!! They recently denied a claim for their part of the repairs on my AC/heating unit because now all of sudden they want maintenance records, which they never even contacted me to tell me; I had to call them when my HVAC company was all of sudden told by Nationwide they weren’t at liberty to discuss anything with them so I called to find out what was going on, 4 days later. As stated on their website “get you back up and running again fast” is biggest line of crap, don’t fall for it. I haven't been in the house long enough to give them any records, but BEWARE if you are with this company, this is their hidden loop hole of getting out of making the repairs if you provide them. Tell them to shove it if they want maintenance records before approving anything. They tried to tell me that it was clearly stated in my contract that maintenance records would need to be provided for approval. BULLS**T! It does NOT state that anywhere in my contract. I’ve already two attorneys reread the contract and I can obviously read because they said the same thing. I addressed this to several contacts at Nationwide and the next person whom replied to that said it's not us asking for them it's the manufacturer. SERIOUSLY, DO I HAVE ### WRITTEN ACROSS MY FOREHEAD. I have now filed a complaint with the BBB in New York and with my States Office of Commissioner of Insurance for Contract Fraud and consulted with 2 attorneys whom said I have a case but to try going through the Office of Commissioners Office first because they will investigate fraud acts among companies like this for free to you. They do handle problems like this for the fact that you are in a “contract” with a warranty company. I highly recommend anyone who has been snowed and lied to even once on a denied claim they were suppose to cover to contact supply all written correspondences, GET IT IN WRITING; talk as little as possible with them via phone; keep all the emails and your contract and contact your local Office of Commissioner of Insurance and file a complaint TODAY against them. I am real live person speaking first hand; I even have records from my building inspector and appraiser that the AC/heating unit was working properly at the time of purchase so I am not trying to get away with anything and get them to fix something that was previously not working; they need to honor what they say they’re going to do. If still in doubt about this company; email me and I’ll show you proof of all the emails from this malicious company. [email protected]

• Ke
    ket Jun 03, 2009

I would not choose this company for a home warranty contract either. I put a claim in (twice, since they did not log in my first phone call) for a condensor leak that they denied, and it cost me 310.00 to get fixed. They sent me a reminder to sign up again since my warranty was expiring. I sent back "are you kidding".

• Ls
    L. Shephard May 29, 2009

I cannot wait until my 12-month contract with this RIP-OFF company is over with!!!
    According to my records that date will be June 27, 2017, hopefully it’s sooner.
    Not only do take take your money, they send out repair technicians that take your service fee money for Nationwide to NOT cover any item listed in my contract.
    I have yet to get anything repaired by this company since deciding to switch to them. I also happen to know that you don’t pay your Contractor’s either. I know of one that’s still getting the run around, and have NOT been paid yet.
    I look forward to a Class-Action Lawsuite against this company real soon...

Angry Customer May 24, 2009

I have received the same treatment from this company and I cannot believe that a company that operates this way can stay in business. I have never received worst treatment from a company that I have paid for their service. I filed a claim over 3 weeks ago and they have not dispatched a company to fix the appliance. I will be asking for a refund tomorrow, filing a complaint with the NY Attorney General's Office, and the BYC BBB. They must be stopped!

• Ta
    Tami May 19, 2009

I am in Florida, same thing happened to me. Took my money, asked for service records when I had a claim, I obviously didn't have any on my washer. Then they wouldn't refund my policy for the rest of the year. I cancelled that credit card and had it re issued so they wouldn't charge it again next year. They need stopped. SOMEONE HELP!!!
    Tami Dixon
    Winter Park, FL.

• Za
    Zahra Abbasi May 19, 2009

I purchased their home warranty with two additional option for my refrigerator, So I paid Extra money and I paid $413 . I opened a claim with them over a month ago to repair this refrigerator. The technician evaluated the refrigerator and said company will contact me and was asking me $60 Deductible that I said my deductible is $50, But he was asking for $60 and I did not pay him and he was saying Ice maker and water cooler is not covered and I had the proof that was the email which I asked company to email me and after that he asked for maintenance paper records and this is exactly like other complaints, My claim was denied because I couldn't provide any maintenance records. I asked what maintenance records would be required for a 6 years old refrigerator and I wasn't given a clear answer (probably since there isn't one). So not only am out the full cost of this repair I also had to pay the technician the $60 deductible. Save your money and much more importantly your time and never do business with this company. I am asking to get back my money and they say the contract is not refundable, while I had Warrenty with Liberty Warrenty Company and because I sold my house I got my money back for remaining eight months.

Matt May 18, 2009

Placed a service call on May 12, 2017 to Nationwide Home Warranty to to have a Clothes Washer repaired (machine does not go into spin cycle). I am supposed to have a 24 hour turnaround time where the contractor is supposed to setup an appointment. Today is May 18, 2017 and Nationwide or the contractor have not contacted me, despite my many phone calls.

I would like others to know that I would not choose this company for a home warranty contract.

• Lu
    Lulu Apr 30, 2009

Company does not honor its contracts. Cursory review of all the complaints listed on this forum tells the story. They take your money, make promises they don't keep. The only thing they keep is your money.

A Yahoo group has been formed to keep victims of this irreputable company updated.

You can join by going to www.yahoo.com then search under groups and look for Nationwide Home Warranty NOT.

• Lu
    Lulu Apr 30, 2009

I got the EXACT same treatment from these people. REPORT THEM TO NYC BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!

Barb F. Apr 23, 2009

I filed with the NY Atty General's office and with the NY BBB and with the BBB in the State of Texas and Florida!

I called Nationwide, they agreed to refund our premium. 10 days ago...I called this morning, was told the check was mailed yesterday, told them this was unacceptable.
    Theu placed me on hold, then told me they stopped payment on the check and are refunding the money to the Credit Card used to buy the policy today.
    I am supposed to get an email confirmation at 6:30 this evening concerning the credit.

Call them repeatedly, file complaints, and if a refund is acceptable to you, go for it!

• Cy
    Cynthia Barber Feb 23, 2009

In December of 2017 I purchased a home warranty from Nationwide Home Warranty (NHW). I did not file any claims. In October of 2017 I contacted NHW about extending the warranty another year because I had received an offer from another company. I decided to renew my warranty with NHW (N-108944) and paid in full for the year ($322.94). On December 28, 2017 I returned home after being gone a week and discovered the heating system was not working. On the morning of December 29, 2017 I call NHW at [protected] and reported the heating system was out. I was informed that NHW would contact a service technician. Mustang Plumbing Inc. called a few hours later and they would send a technician out that afternoon. About 2 pm a service technician (G.W.) arrived and inspected the unit. He determined that the unit needed to be replaced. He said that a good unit will last 20 years and this one in 28 years old. He called NHW and informed them of this and gave them an estimate for replacement, NHW says it was $825. He was informed that it was being put "under review" so he left. A few hours later I called NHW again to see what was being done because it was cold and I was without heat. I was informed that NHW needed the maintenance records and because I didn't have any (the filter is a permanent filter that I clean every other week) I would have to replace the system myself and submit the invoice for reimbursement. I called Mustang Plumbing back and asked them to come replace the system. The following day (12/30/08) they came back and I had them replace the entire system because the A/C was just as old as the heating system. The invoice was $3500 which I paid. On 12/31/08 I faxed the invoice to NHW. On 1/15/09 I called to check on the status of my claim and was advised by Casey Wiggins that NHW was only going to pay $100. NHW is supposed to pay up to up to $1500 per unit according to the contract. The contract does not say I must have maintenance records. I do my own maintenance and the technician said that the unit appeared well maintained and had lasted a lot longer than expected. He provided a statement that the problem was due to age and not lack of maintenance.
    I filed a complaint with the BBB and now NHW is saying my claim is denied (so much for the $100). They told the BBB that if I had provided evidence that the unit was maintained that they would have worked with me. That is not true because I did provide a statement from the technician they sent out that it was maintained.

• Mi
    Michigan Feb 13, 2009

My advise from experience is to stay away from Nation Wide Home Warranty! Their customer service is horrible, they put you on hold and hang up on callers. They make it very difficult to get a repair company to come out and fix the problem. Save your money... find a good repair company.
    Michigan

Nationwide Home Warranty
    Posted: 2017-10-31 by Michael Williams [send email]

BBB, Attny. General of Greater NY, NY State Insurance Board Info.

Complaint Rating:
    Company information:
    Nationwide Home Warranty Insurance
    P.O. Box 341 Zip 10013
    New York, New York
    Phone: [protected]

If anyone, beside myself, has had problems getting Nationwide Home Warranty to pay/settle claims on things covered under your contract, it's worth while in contacting the following to register complaints against them. The more complaints they get, the better. They are the least professional group I have ever dealt with and are dishonest in their practices.

New York State Department of Insurance: [protected]
    address to send complaint: CSB
    New York State Insurance Dept.
    25 Beaver St.
    New York, NY 10004
    In your complaint, list your name, Policy #, copies of any and all documentation and if you have names of people you talked to, time of call, etc... include in complaint.

New York State Attorney General: (Consumer Fraud Dept)
    [protected]
    You need to request a written complaint form to be sent to you.

File a complaint with the State Attorney Generals Office in the State you purchased the policy. You can obtain this information on the internet.

Better Business Bureau of Metropolitan New York
    Web address: http://www.newyork.bbb.org
    There will be a link to fill out a complaint about a business.

This all takes time, but the more dissatisfied customers report their fradulent practices, the better.

sam Jan 02, 2009

yes, this sound like what happen with me... they will take your money, charge you more and you will spend few months trying to get some of your money back, at the end they will win... they can steal really, stay far ...they are the one in brooklyn, ny...never trust this place

sam Jan 02, 2009

i know nationwide, stay away from
    them…………………stay far away

• Ka
    Karen Nov 26, 2008

Dealing with Nationwide is a nightmare. All the representatives who answer the phone are very rude. They sometimes put you on hold for 30 minutes or more or hung up on you. They don't have any service. They focus on collecting your money and deny your claim. I waited for two weeks for a plumbing service after countless phone calls. They never call back. I need to call both Nationwide and the repair company by myself. After another two weeks waiting for the authorization of the repair, Nationwide said I need to provide the maintenance records then they’ll consider if I can get the authorization. My claim item is clothes dryer. The maintenance records need to be done by professional company not by myself doing the routine clean up every time after using. I asked the person who I talked to if she does the maintenance on her dryer. She just coldly said if I don, t have the records then I need to pay from my pocket and this is on our contract. I check my contract thoroughly, there isn't any clause mentions about maintenance records. After almost a whole month arguing with them I decided spend my own money to fix the problem.
    This is not end yet. I have two contracts with Nationwide. Both will end on Dec 27, 2017. They charged me for renew on Nov 2, 2017 without any notice. I called on 11/6, 11/12, and 11/18, told them I don't want to renew and I never authorized any automatic renew either. They said I'll see the refund on my credit card in a couple of days every time I called. No refund at all. On 11/25, I called again, they said my credit card company doesn't allow refund if the charge is within 30 days. I called my credit card company, they never heard of such things. So I have to dispute the two transactions with my credit card company.
    I've reported to BBB, Complain.com and FTC (Federal Trade Commission)on 11/6. Only received confirm emails. No further process or update from any of above. Nationwide is totally a fraud company. They shouldn't keep running. Is there any way we victims can do to get our money back or at least protect other people from suffering from them?