Menards Belton MObriggs and stratton generator

J Aug 06, 2018

Briggs and Stratton generator...
On July 2, 2018 I purchased a 7000 W $800 Briggs and Stratton generator from the Menards store in Belton Missouri.
On or about July 16 I called the store to tell them that I had a problem with the brand new generator out of the box and explained that it would start up and run but then quit consistently after only running about 30 minutes. I tested the unit several times and the motor would fluctuate in RPMs under a small load and it would also just quit running after 30 minutes . They told me that I could no longer return the unit because their store policy was that it needed to be returned in seven days and that's just the way it was ...that was just their store policy. They suggested that I look up a Briggs & Stratton authorized repair shop and take it to them and they would repair it free of charge. Please understand that that's not really what a customer wants to hear on a piece of equipment he had to travel 100 miles to pick up pay good money for and find out it is bad right out of the box.
I then tried to find the nearest authorized Briggs & Stratton authorized repair center which was approximately 40 miles from my house. I brought it to them he listened to it took 40 minutes of his time and told me that after working on these type generators for over 35 years that in his opinion it was a bad coil and a possible bad carburetor. He then said why don't you just take it back to the Menards and either get your money back or get a new one or exchange. He had said that he had recently returned a generator to a Menards and they returned it with no questions asked.
I then decided to pack up the 200 pound generator in the back of my truck and drive the 100 miles to the original Belton store to try to return it for either a full refund or a gift card or an even exchange. The hardware manager told me that the store policy said no returns after seven days because of the issue of having gas and oil in it. Well, that makes no sense Because if I would have brought it back the next day it would still have gas and oil in it… Right? And it would still have the exact same problem so I think that was just an excuse. I asked the hardware manager to speak with the store manager who's name is Conor Travis. Connor came very promptly to the hardware department and reiterated the same thing that the hardware department manager had sad… No returns after seven days I would have to take it to an authorized service repair center. I then asked Mr. Travis the store general assistant manager to please show me where I could find the seven day return policy. He responded that they did not have a written policy . I asked him if the people at the cash register or anyone in the department would verbally tell customers that they needed to return the item in seven days or less if they experienced any kind of problem with the generator and he replied no but that it would be a good idea for us to have that as a printout on the register receipt so customers would know in the future. As I stated earlier… What if this was a gift to someone and they wouldn't have even open the box for seven days?
Therefore I now have to Back to the original repair center and spend more time and money and gas and labor to bring the machine there have him fix it and then go back and pick it up. I have to also add that the Repair dealer said that if there were two things wrong with it out of the box there are probably multiple more things wrong with it and he would not recommend repairing it he would recommend just returning back to the original repair center and spend more time and money and gas and labor to bring the machine there have him fix it and then go back and pick it up. I have to also add that the repair dealer said that if there were two things wrong with it out of the box there are probably multiple more things wrong with it and he would not recommend repairing it he would recommend just returning it it.
In my opinion and from my perspective this is a terrible way to conduct business. If something is bad out of the box the retailer should be more than happy to satisfy the customer request an exchange or a gift card or a full refund if they are not satisfied. I have been a Menards customer for over 30 years and unfortunately this has left an absolute terrible taste in my mouth and I don't believe I can patronize them any further since this companywide policy has no respect for the customer. In my opinion you should not sell Generators with that type of a policy or at least have the potential customer know the seven day return policy in writing or at least verbally warned them