Lifestyle Family FitnessRefund and discontinue procedure sucks!

Read your paperwork Entirely before signing. I purchased a membership but unfortunately I was injured at work and had to discontinue the membership. But when I tried to stop my membership and get a refund, following there explicit rules to discontinue my membership due to health reasons, I supplied medical reports from Doctors and Specialists that they asked for and after faxing them and bringing them into the facility. I was given a bunch of garbage from the management and was denied any refund and had to pay for something I could no longer use due to my health problems. Shame on Lifestyle, Explain your rules better and enforce them properly and with some compassion. Your refund and discontinue procedure sucks, and what happened to the Customers always right. Corporate America at it's best or worse here.

Thanks a lot for nothing. A very unhappy ex-Customer.

• Do
    Donusf Mar 07, 2012

I agree, LFF SUCKS!!! They are predators. All they do is try to screw their customers once they try to leave the membership. I have been hit with fees, escalation charges, and other fees. This is the worse company to do business with. I highly suggest that anyone who is considering joining this gym, to run as fast as you can to the door. They are complete criminals. I am opening a complaint with the Better Business Bureau about them today. Also, the Attorney General's office in Florida.

Don

• Ju
    Judith Perez Feb 20, 2012

Has anyone just not paid what they ask for when they don't deserve payment..??and what were the consequences of not paying them??after all its only a gym..can it affect your credit rating? most of them are going out of business...maybe just wait it out and they will disappear??

wheresthebeef Feb 17, 2012

I have an update to my issue. It has a happy ending too! After having Lifestyle call me for the last week and a half trying to get me to update my billing information; I went on the offensive and called them at least 8 times asking to speak to a manager. On my last call they finally transferred me to a manager instead of voicemail. I told her that they broke the contract and that they should not have raised my rates according to my original contract with California Fitness. Then I told her that they owe me money because they have been overcharging me based on the contract. in Section 3c says that if I continue to prepay my dues, they will not be able to modify my dues unless I move out of their district where there are different rates. I also told her to show me in writing with my signature that says I agree to any rate hikes or that I accept their new terms and polices. They never sent me anything in writing telling me that they would no longer honor the original contract nor did they send me a new contract to sign. Legally they don't have anything in writing to enforce except my original contract with California Fitness that they broke without telling me. The manager finally said that she would waive any charges and that my balance was zero! A small victory for the consumer but yes I did beat them at their own game.

wheresthebeef Feb 16, 2012

Lifestyle should be ashamed of themselves. I was a California Fitness member back in 09/04. I had a prepaid membership that expired and rolled into a month to month membership. It clearly states that my rates would not go up as long as Icontinued wtih my monthly paymemts. Lifestyle takes over the membership and then starts raising my rates. The first two times I called they did lower it back to my original rate. Then the gym that I go to was bought out by another gym called Lifetime. Lifestyle transferred me to a gym that is 18 miles away. I no longer wanted to be a member so I called to cancel. They have been calling me everyday to collect one more payment from me because my card number has changed and the payment will not go through. Oh well, so sad. I called them and asked for a refund of my dues since they are not supposed to raise my rates according to my original contract with California Fitness. They said they do not have to honor Califronia's contract and that they have a right to raise my rates. I told them to provide the document that has my signature on it that says I agree to their terms. They don't have one because I did not sign with them. They say they dont have to honor the original contract I have with California Fitness but they want me to honor a contract with them that does not exist. I never signed anything agreeing to Lifestyles terms or policies therefore I am not obligated to follow their terms of cancellation as they are not obligated to honor my original contract. We never had an agreement and never will. The thing with they cannot raise rates more than 5% in a year is a crock. They have raised my rates more than 5% twice and without notifying me.

• Ho
    HopelessinLakeland Feb 10, 2012

I signed up my son for his birthday and was charged $50 plus for a month and a half they said as you have to pay ahead; we were told we can go month to month $30 plus tax, which we were billed on my credit card; I only spoke to them on phone; son went in; neither were told about billing after you cancelled as I was expecting a credit to my card since we paid ahead and figured we'd get that credit and part of the month I had paid. They told me when I tried to canceled first of January, Drew had to call and speak to headquarters as he was over 18, even though it was on my credit card. He did and around 20th we got billed $34 plus and I called and they said there was another person with his name that had been closed and they would take care of this; his first and last name is NOT common; anyway, I called headquarters and they said that was normal to charge after and I told him we were not told about this period. I never signed anything. I told him I was contesting it on credit card. When we called our local gym who knew my son and I told them about what they said about the billing after, the worker said he'd never heard of that and he'd get someone to call me back. Someone never called me back because someone probably told the worker that headquarters rips customers off like this. So all I can say to anyone else, quit way before you plan on quitting; go until they don't allow you anymore and cancel your credit card immediately. My son's father is a lawyer so we might use him to call them up!!!

• Ju
    Judith Perez Feb 01, 2012

The Lifestyle family fitness gym we had been going to just closed..no notification to us by phone or mail. We called several times trying to cancel our membership because the other two branches were well out of our way. On top of that my husband is now getting cancer treatments and can't work out. Each time I called I was told an e mail to cancel would arrive. It did not...I work long hours and can't spend every day on the phone with these people. after two months of paying for nothing I stopped payment from my bank account...wow suddenly I get calls now every day saying I owe them money...they will be tacking on extra stop payment penalties as well...I feel they owe me...I have paid for a service I did not have for two months now. Has anyone out there ever beat these ###s at their scam game? please let me know...right now its only 30$ or so but it will keep adding up...I feel I owe them nothing. stay away from gym memberships with them...

• Fr
    Freddie B Dec 02, 2011

I love LFF I go to the one in Naples FL people are great price is fair equipment is perfect, never a word said to me when I bring a guest . no gimics .No I dont work for them and get nothing out of this other than keeping my nice Gym doors open. my son go to LFF as well and has for years lots of free class Zumba Yoga etc. no presure. Ron is D bomb!

• Dj
    DJBR Oct 11, 2011

I had the worst experiance at this fitness center. The sales person was rude. They don't care to protect members or prespective members privacy AT ALL!! They had a big sign in tablet that asked for all your contact info, email addresses, phone numbers home addresses. They will not speak to you unless you sign in on it... I explained that I did feel comfortable with all my info on display like that (I could have taken a pic with my phone and posted them here! (but I am an honest nice person.) After negotiating a rate (hated the used car salesman feel & them trying to say that they were way cheaper than a competitior that they aren't...) Then he puts in all my info from my drivers licence, gives me my total, checks my id to the card then wanted to take my ID with him to run my credit card? I asked why? They were going to copy then scan my drivers licence & Credit Card & keep copies in their system... That is online & not regulated! Who knows who could access it that it is a horrible thing to do & could easily lead to misuse or abuse of your information not to mention it would be an identity thiefs dream to get a part time job there... Regulated systems are hacked, breached, or just lost ALL THE TIME!! I said no to scaning my ID into their system, but they could gladly write down my DL# to prove they had checked it. The salesman said something rude as he tore up the membership cards he had made for me... I am appauled at the his behavior & his manager was as bad or worse!!

MACINTOSH Jul 04, 2011

The latest if the LFF saga...in Dec 2010 I received a cancellation number...from their corporate office! Yet, they continue to charge my account a monthly fee. I called the branch manager who looked up my account...she even couldn't understand why I was being charged. So, once again...credit card company is opening yet another investigation. I'm going to the BBB and probably other agencies. I've never seen anything like this.

andrew.r. May 18, 2011

I worked at Lifestyle in Pickerington for about a year back in 2008. I joined back up to the club around October of 2010 because the price had dropped to 19.95 plus tax so I thought why not. Everything was fine then in mid April I dediced to switch my credit card company and so I told the girl at the front desk and she said no problem do you want to add another one or just get a bill and I opted for the bill for now. Two weeks later on April 27th I decided I was going to cancel my membership. I knew that meant I had to make one more payment because I had worked there before and that was fine by me. But then they told me that I owed over $60 dollars and I was like why. He said I owed my last month dues, a $15 dollar fee for them trying to charge my credit card and being denied and a $25 bill for "basic enhancement fee" which was never told to me or part of the membership when I worked there. I told the gentleman on the phone that I would pay the $19.95 plus tax but that was it. I went to the club like I told him and paid that amount. I got a call today from the gentlemen and he told me that I had not paid the other $40 and some change. I told him that I would not pay for a fee for them trying to charge my credit card when I told them weeks prior that I cancelled it and they said they would just bill me. Then I told him that I would not pay a $25 dollar "basic enhancement fee" that was never discussed with me. I told him that I worked at the club before and that was never a charge and he started yelling and told me it was. I told him I would never pay and he might as well as mark that down. I hope anyone looking to get a membership at LFF reads the fine print because if you don't you will be taken for a lot more money than you ever anticipated. Also you can no longer cancel your membership in the club (even though you can join in the club). You know have to write a letter to corporate and they have to approve it. Corporate is in Tampa and they are a bunch of idiots that will sit on things, lose stuff and find a way to never cancel so they can keep charging your accound. If you live in Pickerington you would be better off joining Powershack, The YMCA, Metro, or even the Groveport Rec Center or Lifetime if you don't mind the drive.

Where's the justice May 11, 2011

I had a similar experience as the irate and frustrated consumer. My job moved to a different location that was not near the center I signed up at. I continued to pay for a few months because I thought that I might get a chance to stop by the gym but I never did. Then my dad ended up in the hospital and passed away and calling LFF was the last thing on my mind. I finally got around to calling them in February 2011, while they were piloting their new cancellation policy that I found out about by going into the gym. The phone number they give you never picked up and they offer to leave a message and someone would get back to you, when it's convenient for them. No one I know can sit on hold for 30 mins or more a day to try and get a hold of them. Well by chance I did finally get a hold of a cancellation rep around the middle of February and they told me that I'd be receiving an email and that I am to respond to that email to confirm my cancellation, which I thought that I was doing by calling them in the first place. I continued to check my email and even my junk mail but I never received a message from them. I tried calling the same phone number back that I originally called and had the same problem as the first time, I could never get a hold of a rep. I finally did get a hold of someone, almost a month later, and explained what happened and they said that they would resend the email and to follow it's instructions. I received the email the next day and responded immediately after receiving it. During the month's time I was billed after the first time I called them as my "last payment" and billed after the second time I called them again as a "last payment." This was very unsettling to me that it was not my fault that I didn't receive the original email so I decided to call the number that was within the cancellation email they sent. This number gets you almost directly to a representative (it's [protected]) without the long wait times. I spoke to this representative explaining what happened and that if they would be so kind to refund my last payment of $16.04 due to the circumstances that I had to go through to cancel my service and they told me that they do not refund. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they said that they were a supervisor, apparently everyone over there is a supervisor because I heard that through my next couple of conversations. Finally I asked to speak to the person that oversees them and their department, basically their supervisor, and that manager was unavailable at the moment but that they could set up a call back and I agreed. I spoke to this manager when they called me back and they were just as rude and unforgiving as their floor supervisors. After hanging up with them I went directly to my back and disputed the charge. My bank disputed the charge and about two days alter I got a call from LFF, believe it or not yes I actually got a call from them, and they explained to me about the dispute that I already knew took place because I initiated the whole thing. I wish I remembered this lady's name because she was the rudest out of all those that I spoke to, she continued to cut me off mid-sentence and basically told me that if I do not pay the disputed charge through them that my account would be sent to collections. I laughed at her and hung up. A few days after that I got a letter in the mail stating that if I do not send in my $16.04 payment that my account would be sent to collections and that a $15 chargeback would be applied to each dispute initiated because my account is considered past due. I finally gave in and called the number on this form and spoke to the lady for a few moments explaining what I had to go through and that I will pay them the messily $16 because I didn't what my credit ruined over this poor situation and company. I continued to explain to her that their customer service is the poorest to deal with and that I will never recommend this company to any of my friends or family members.

• JUST A NOTE: I moved out of the area and there is no Lifestyles where I currently stay so I needed to cancel my membership. I stopped by the gym and they told me they could not do it and I had to call the 800 number. I've been trying to cancel my membership since March and all I get is a voicemail asking me to leave a message. I kept leaving messages but was not available when they called me back, which is why I kept calling when it was convenient for me, but of course, NO ANSWER!

It is now May and am just now finally cancelling my membership even though they have already taken $120 of my money for a membership I have not been able to use because of my relocation. Only to see an email stating they are going to take another $120 from my account for 60 days cancellation notice.

I am sorry I joined and will be sure to inform anyone that I know to stay away from their product. It is in poor taste and a very bad way to conduct business. I am a business owner myself and a successful business is predicated on consumer satisfaction. I am sure it is only matter of time before they go out of business.

I wish I would have read some of these reviews before I joined. It could have saved me a lot of headache and money...

Sincerely,
    Upset Consumer!!!

• Wa
    WalawalaChick Apr 27, 2011

Lifestyles Family Fitness is a DIRTY BUISNESS!!!

CONTRACT? WHAT CONTRACT...
    First off when I signed up I did not know that I signed a contract! The sales rep took my credit card and then told me to sign the electronic pad. He made it seem that I was signing for my card, and did not tell me I was signing a CONTRACT!!! Then once done he put together a packet and then we left. At home I realized that the computer AUTOMATICALLY signed the paper work for me!! What ever happened to the whole pen and paper contract???

THATS NOT A GOOD SIGN
    The reason I didn't notice that I didn't sign the contract when I was there is because someone had to be taken to the HOSPITAL!!!
    Ambulance and all! Apparently one of the members decided to PASS OUT in the hot tube. One of the other members saw the member go under and they pulled him out and call 911.

"WE CLEAN OUR EQUIPMENT EVERYDAY"...THEN WHY ARE ALL YOUR MEMBERS GETTING SICK????
    The reason I decided to QUIT is because I signed up with 3 other friends and they both got SICK from lifestyles, along with 3 other members that we knew went to the same gym. My brother worked for them for a year and told me that they NEVER CLEAN there equipment!!! The manager told them just to sign the chart at the end of the day that they cleaned. He contracted MERCA from there 2 years ago when he worked there and because of that he got kicked out of the NAVY! (He signed up not knowing he had merca and once they found out they had to discharge him).

NEVER GIVE BACK
    My card was stolen and I had to freeze my account until I recieved a new one. Well once it was turned back on they charged me late fees. So I called the main office to see if I could have them take off the late fees. And to no surprise they would not for the life of me give me a break. I even asked to speak to a manager and they told me "There's no manager here right now"...NO MANAGER??!! At your MAIN OFFICE? That is a freaking LIE!

YOU MAY NEVER QUIT!
    In order to cancel your membership you must PAY your account off. REALLY? I tried quitting while the transaction was going through (pending) my account. They told me I must wait to quit...AW COME ON ALREADY! It was already being takin out of my account! JEEZE!

I will never go there again and I will make sure none of my friends go there!
    SINCERLY,
    Really Pissed Off Customer!

• Ia
    iamokaywiththis Apr 25, 2011

I have been a member for 4 years. I finally decided to quit for the cost of my husband and I was just over $80/month and there are closer (and cheaper) fitness centers around. As per my contract, I went into Lifestyle with a written cancellation notice, knowing that it would take 30-days for my account to be discontinued. I was told at the front counter that I will now need to contact corporate for the center could not cancel memberships anymore. I called corporate and was given a 50% discount if I stayed on - for both my husband and myself! So, the new contract is supposed to go into effect this billing cycle, and we'll see how much we are billed. Regardless, corporate was very friendly, very willing to make changes to keep me on as a customer. Now that we are two-for-the-price-of-one, I'll stay on a for a bit more.

• Ne
    never join a gym again! Apr 12, 2011

My new tag line for the gym is..."Great gym...just don't ever try to leave them...i mean NEVER!" Like a Stephan King movie. I want to give a shout out to Nasty Pants Sandy in the corporate office! Calling me like I defaulted on my mortgage and telling me after I already paid in full had receipts and emails to prove it..."Well I'll just note that you have no intention of resolving this." Basically sending me to a creditor rendering me voiceless. I'll pay you $1000 right now to get you to go away! Keep in mind Sandy works for the client retention department. Maybe she's just really bloated and retains water all day.

• Yu
    yulia..... Mar 25, 2011

I can't believe that they r still charging me and my husband, even after I called them and canceled the gym. This is ridiculous!!! They even don't have courtesy to call u..and wounder where are u I don't understand..is there something we can do about them...horrible, people, don't sign in !!! Beware of places like this. I am discusted.

• Ji
    Jimlp Mar 22, 2011

Connie K. Same here. Was surprised today to find a new Lifestyle charge on my credit card. I followed up and was told it was the basic enhancment fee. I had no recollection of hearing anything about this when I joined. I'm sure I would have remembered. Called US Customer support and they said this information was on the front page of the agreement I signed. Sure enough, in the fine print, it is there. All regular charges had been highlighted but not this one. I'm still not happy about it.

• Co
    Connie K Mar 12, 2011

My husband and I joined Lifestyle at a very reasonable monthly fee - for which we paid in cash for a full year. This was supposed to be paid in full - but now they have sent each of us a $25 bill - "basic enhancement fee". All members who have a low rate are required to pay this annually. We were not told this until 8 months after joining. Our membership will expire in July. Fortunately, they do not have a credit card on file. We feel this is unfair. Anyone else experience this?

sallyunhappy Mar 02, 2011

We sent them an e-mail to cancel, they simply ignored us, so I did a chargeback on the CC. They called and kept telling me I needed to mail the cancelation. I told them there is a Federal Law the UETA which allows faxes and e-mails to be considered the same as mail. They say our contract does not say that. They are unreasonable, we are not even in a contract with them and they are ugly people to deal with and will tell everyone. I have a copy of the e-mail, so if they decide to send this to collections we will simply give all the documentation and our side. I have had other memberships elsewhere and none have been like this company. The word needs to spread and shut them down for their practices.

• Qu
    quantumorbit Feb 24, 2011

Marketing material from LFF says there is no commitment, that their memberships can be cancelled anytime. This was the sales pitch used with me when I signed up.

On December 31, 2010 I personally delivered a written request to cancel our membership effective immediately. Then my wife called customer service to confirm cancelation. The customer service representative said they required a month's notice; so during this call my wife accepted to pay January so termination would be effective Jan 31, 2011.

The Manager at the Altamonte Gym, personally faxed their corporate headquarters the written noticed I delivered on December 31, 2010; he also mailed them a copy by US Postal Service. Corporate claims they got the mailed notice until Jan 18, 2011, after the cutoff date and that they never got the fax. They also claim memberships can only be terminated with the corporate office and not at the location where I signed up.

I got an email on Jan 20, 2011 from the retention department asking me to reconsider my cancelation. Also got correspondence during the month of January by postal mail acknowledging cancelation.

I just got my credit card statement and noticed LFF billed me again on February 7 for $ 80.24 and they refuse a refund.

STAY AWAY FROM LFF IF YOU WANT TO AVOID A HEADACHE.

• So
    S.O.L Feb 10, 2011

I think it's all part of a certain Mr Louis Gibson's plan to take over the world...

• Or
    orlandodude Feb 10, 2011

I tried to cancel after paying HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS. I made the mistake of just calling someone at the corporate office and did it verbally. Big mistake as this company can not be trusted. They continued to charge my card for 2 months. When I asked to talk with a supervisor they refused and said that they already spoke with them and a refund would not be issued. Business is built on trust. I don't trust Lifestyle fitness at all and suggest that you find a different gym if you are considering them.

• Fr
    Frustrated Member Feb 09, 2011

I have been trying to cancel my membership and can't get anyone in the "cancellation dept" to call me back after leaving numerous messages! I have also been charged my monthly fee ($60.00) during this time. I am getting extremely frustrated!

Not-a-Chump Aug 24, 2010

unknown77...I hear lifestyles is hiring idiots like you so put in your application as soon as possible. Such an idiot as you should be hired on the spot!

Not-a-Chump Aug 24, 2010

I'm so pissed I can't see straight!!! Went through the same basic situations as everyone else with an evil witch from the billing department. Nastiest attitude and lack of professionalism I ever witnessed... All this over 27.00 which I paid thinking that was the last of this joke for a business. Lo and behold tonight here comes another nasty call from another evil witch stating I was the problem and should have understood. There's gotta be a way to put these clowns out of business once and for all. I may not be successful but I'm going to do everything that's legal to shut them down. I could write in more detail but really can't think straight right now. Sorry!!

• Un
    unknown77 Aug 01, 2010

Lifestyle gives you a refund which is something hardly anybody does in the first place. It goes simply like this the comfort guarantee allows you to try the gym as a member for 4 wks risk free. If for any reason what so ever you are unhappy you get a refund of your money and get a free month membership. The only thing asked is that you come in once I repeat 1 time per week to give Lifestyle a fair shake?? Is that really so bad?

• Du
    dupree May 11, 2010

i signed up for three months everything was perfect, nice people and the gym wasn't that far away from my house. little did i know these people were spineless.
    i recently did a partial payment for a year membership. i never signed anything to say i was agreeing to a new membership. i changed my mind a month later and told them i couldn't afford it and that i would pay for the couple of days i had used the gym. she practical told me to go and that i had no right and that no money would be refunded to me. i mentioned i would be happy to take a 6 month instead to keep the peace, she replied quite rudely "i can't make that decision". getting quite fed up with the quality of service i said well you have 24hrs from now, if he doesn't ring with a decision that suits myself and lifestyle i'll contact the department of fair trading. guess what they never called...

i contacted department of fair trading with all the information i had and they contacted them. apparently i was happy and that i agreed to all the terms of conditions and i was owed nothing.
    a. i had signed the initial 3 month agreement and they kept referring to it - idiots this was expired and has no merit as an outstanding contract.
    b. i had said i would pay and that in good faith they expected the rest - idiots isn't good faith system a two way street. the good faith system isn't a contract if it was i wouldn't have a leg to stand on. shouldn't i be entitled to get my money back if its good faith?
    c. they added to the outstanding contract after i left to cover themselves. what type of people do we entitle our credit card number too.
    d. they said i haven't sent a letter detailing my cancellation - IDIOTS why would i sign anything when there isn't a contract to cancel. by me admitting it i give them rights to send debt collectors to collect the remaining money. they are cunning and stupid people i have every right to make it known that they are ripping off people.

i now have the option of taking them to small claims court, the moral of the story is don't lock yourself in with these vultures for long contracts. they are open for a reason they make money by riping people off. the lady at the desk mentioned how they had refused another refund half an hour before me. the department of fair trading as our rights on there so when signing up to a gym make sure you cover yourself first, they might seem nice and helpful but at the end of the day they are a business through and through. i sucks being right but its even harder when they have your hard earned money and no intention on meeting you half way

Anthonie May 10, 2010

Life Style Taken nearly every month for one years out of my account. I am thinking of taking this further. I would like to have the money refunded, can we?

Anthonie - Clearwater, Florida. USA

• Pa
    PAPIKING May 07, 2010

LIFESTYLES ARE A BUNCH OF THEIVES, LIARS, AND RUDE PEOLE. I HAD TO ### AT THEM LONG ENOUGH TO GET A FREE MONTH BECAUSE I WAS LIED TO FROM DAY ONE. THEY WOULD ATTEMPT TO CHARGE YOUR CARD LIKE 3 TIMES A DAY AND 15 TIMES A WEEK! GOOD THING I GAVE THEM A PREPAID CARD SO I WOULDN'T BE CHARGED THE OVERDRAFT FEES. IMAGINE HOW MANY FEES I COULD OF RACKED UP. WHEN YOU TELL THEM THAT YOU DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS AVAILABLE AND NOT TO ATTEMPT AGAIN, THEY DON'T CARE. THEY WILL JUST KEEP ON DOING IT REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU TELL THEM. *** I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GYM TO ANYONE***

• Gr
    gracesmith Aug 20, 2009

My comment is about the spin bikes that we are getting charged for (extra $10 a month) and the bikes do not spin correctly. There are major problems with the bikes and management has done nothing about them I attend the Tuskawilla Fitness center in Winter Springs Florida (outside of Orlando). If they don't fix the bikes I will quit the gym and never return. The bikes have major problems and no one seems to care. All you hear are complaints upon complaints. Frankly I will never recommend lifestyle fitness to anyone.
    Dont ever join LFF if you don't have too!
    LFF
    5920 Red Bug Lake Road
    Winter Springs, FL 32708
    Phone: [protected]

• Go
    godschild May 30, 2009

LFF just duped us as well. We had a free pass for a week. We signed up about the 5th day and tried cancelling the next day, but were told that we waived the 30 day comfort clause. Our total came to over $115 and we will be billed next month as well. Total rip off. The reps never explained a whole lot--he was rushing to get us into the system. Now we just waisted over $200. The sales manager tried to act all nice and ask us if we wanted him to freeze the account so we wouldn't get billed until later. I said no. What goes around comes around though.It will come full circum to them with the way this economy is now. Before you sign anything ask them about their cancellation policy SEVERAL times.Don't take those reps word for it--speak to the Top Sales Manager!!! And make sure that is your VERY 1st VISIT if you sign up. Otherwise you probably won't be getting a refund should you say 'nevermind.'

• Xx
    xxgrowler14xx Apr 05, 2009

Not every business is perfect and not every one place employees 100 percent perfect people, everyone should know that. After reading these posts, I can completely understand why some are upset and frustrated but there are many posts on here that Lifestyles has nothing to do with. To the people that were mistreated and had poor customer service, or were hard closed with bad intentions, my sympathy is there for you. For the people who argue the 4 week comfort guarantee or the cancelation policies or the increase in monthly dues, I have none. Let me explain how Lifestyles and their membership programs work. There are of course exceptions to all, like poor customer service and employees who over promised and under delivered, for members who came in contact with misleading or even lying employees, it is extremely unfortunate and I am sorry, but not all Lifestyle clubs are like that and not every employee at Lifestyle is a devil. Lifestyle offers month to month memberships. At most clubs, there are 3 options. The customer picks the program that works best for them. In order to start, a customer must pay the last month, the prorated first month (which is always about a half month, it is the prorated amount from the day they start to the next billing date; there are 4 billing dates in the month), the enrollment fee and the one time activation fee. The enrollment fee can vary between zero dollars and $149, depending on enrollment specials. When you hear people say that its zero down or zero to start, that means the enrollment fee is zero, it never means you don't pay your last month, prorated first month, and the one time activation, no matter what your friends say or what you think. The one time activation is $20. It always is and can't be waived. The activation is charged to everyone except in case where more than two people in a family sign up at the same time. For example a family of 2, pays 40 dollars in activation fees, a family of 3, 4, or 5 will only pay 40 dollars as well. If a couple signs up today, and pays 40 dollars in activations, but they decide to add their teenage kid even the next day, a 20 dollar activation will be added for the kid b/c it wasn't done on the same day. The 4 week comfort allows people to become a member and use the club risk free. As of now, the 4 week comfort says, besides day of enrollment, the member must check in at least once a week for the first 4 weeks. If during the 4th week of membership, the member would like to cancel, a refund of the full amount paid on the enrollment day (last month, prorated first month, enrollment, and activation) plus the monthly bill that was charged 2 weeks after enrollment day will be completely paid back. This transaction doesn't happen over night people; it can take up to 30 days to be processed. Also, your minimum of 4 checkins in 4 different weeks must be seen in the computer. Every time you enter the club your card must be swiped, so that is not a problem. As for canceling your membership, it is a month to month membership yes, but requires a 60 day notice. All you have to do to cancel your membership is let the front desk person know; they will pull it up in the computer and ask for your signature, which will be on the electric signature pad. You don't have to send a letter to corporate or fax anything, or prove that you are moving 50 miles away from another club like some gyms make you. You are billed one more time and then you will have 60 days to use the club from that last billing date. 30 of the 60 days you paid when you enrolled! IF your billing date is on the 12th, you would cancel before the 12th; you then would be billed on the 12th and would have 60 days from the 12th to use the club. If you cancel on the 13th, you will be billed on the following 12th and in essence would be able to use the club approximately 90 days from the 13th. It's not rocket science and it's not a scam. People worry about the automatic debit and eft way off doing business. Know how it works and the cancelation policies before you complain. If your particular club had 2, 000 members, can you imagine having 2000 people at the front desk once a month trying to pay their bill? No, it would be an accounting nightmare. Lifestyle has over 200, 000 members, should they just send everyone a bill and cross their fingers that everyone pays on time?? If you live check to check or like to be in control of your finances, you can request to be "sent" a bill at home. There is a 5 dollar a month convenience charge for this. Lifestyles is not Bally's or Gold's, they do not get your social security number when you sign up. We have nothing to do with your credit. If you have failed to cancel your membership and have a balance or had a balance when you canceled your membership, the "collections agency" that calls you and tries to collect the money you owe Lifestyles, whether it was because you made a mistake and didn't cancel properly or you never paid while you were using the club, is not a collection agency that can ruin your credit. They are just trying to get the money you owe Lifestyles. If they keep calling, just pay it, you owe it! And last but not least, as far as raising membership rates with out telling members. It is a rare occurance but every health club in the business includes it in their agreements from bally's to golds, to 24 hour fitness, you name it and they include the right to raise the monthy dues at any time without consent. As I just stated, it rarely happens. Lifestyles is like most and reserves the right to raise a members dues after they have been a member for at least 12 months but they can only raise the dues a maximum of 5%. That means if you are paying 40 dollars a month and you have been a member for over a year, Lifestyle can bring you up to 42 dollars a month. Big frickin deal, they hardly ever do it, but if they do to you, what is the big deal, you have been a member for over a year, you obviously like the club, the cost of things increase every year in our economy including energy, taxes, and insurance just to name a few. Lifestyles, just like any other business, experiences increases on expenses, not to mention they are constantly improving clubs by maintaining cleanliness, fixing machines, buying new machines, expanding existing sites, and recertifying intstructors and trainers, just to list a few. Lifestlyes may sometimes be in a position to raise a members monthly dues, but it is only because they want to continue providing the best in quality service, equipment, and the best facilities to their customers, it's not so they can just make all the money they can. Lifestyle Family Fitness is an awesome gym, they have the best classes and the best equipment around. Some clubs may have a tainted employee or two, but what business doesn't, and especially in the health club industry! My advice would be to talk to your friends who are existing members and find out who took care of them or what employees they have noticed that gone above and beyond for others and get in contact with that person so that he or she can take care of you. A bad sales guy shouldn't stop you from starting on your health and fitness goals at one of the best places to do it in the country. And now you know the facts and know what to expect, there are no surprises. If you have questions about policies and the different programs a club offers, call them, ask to speak to a membership consultant, they won't give you prices over the phone so don't ask, but they will invite you into the club to see what your interests are and what you would like to do as far as your health is concerned. They will want to set up an appointment to show you the club so that you can see what you're getting for your money and they will also offer you a chance to have a workout and to bring a friend with you. As I said before, there are exceptions to everything, and for the people who came across bad apples in this business I am sorry. But for people who say they don't have time to set an appointment to see the club or just want to hear prices, those people aren't serious about acheiving their goals and those are the same people who only used the club once and are complaining about the cancelation policies on this site. The people who raise so many concerns about the 4 week money back guarantee on this site are the same ones that are still overweight or still have high blood pressure or still suffer from things like back pain or fatigue and will never get better. They are the same people that have always been unhappy and never satisfied with the way the look or feel and have and will continue to come up with excuses not to change. "Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." Always AIM HIGH and never quit. God bless.

• Fl
    Floyd Royal Aug 14, 2008

Hi my name is Floyd Royal I have been a member in Tampa, FL for 3yrs i membership fee keeps increasing, it started at 34 then 44 now it just went to 54 with no warning. I lovr my health but the gym is not worth that much

• Wg
    WG Jun 03, 2008

I joined under their 4 week-money back program and I totally got scammed!! After one week my car broke down. I called the club and spoke to the person who signed me up and told him about my car and how I couldn't afford to get it fixed until I was able to save the money up which would be a month or two. I asked him to cancel my membership. He told me that if I waited and canceled it the day before my 4 weeks was up I would get all my money back. So I had a friend drive me in the day before my 4 weeks was up, told them to cancel it and even got a paper from them saying that my membership was canceled and that I would be getting a refund of $183.00 but that it could take up to 30 days to get the refund. Well guess what 2 weeks went by and they charged me for another month. Hello!! I canceled! After multiple phone calls to many rude customer service specialist and supervisors I was told that I didn't meet their guidelindes for a refund. So not only were they going to keep my $183 but also the additional $68.47 they just charged me. Come on they claim to have over 700, 000 happy customers and they can't have a little bit of compasionate for the hard times I was having with my car being broke down. They said that if I had continued to come to the gym all month long they would have given me my money back. How did they expect me to get there?? I am going to pursue it further and I also stopped payment on the moeny they have taken. DON'T JOIN!!!

Marcia Cohen May 07, 2008

I signed up for the "Four Weeks - money back if not satisfied" with Lifestyle Fitness, hurt my shoulder on the first day with a trainer and have asked for my money back. HAH! Fat chance!

The employees at Lifestyle are very skilled at avoiding dealing with the customer (member) and it isn't likely that I'll see my money, ever.

This Four Weeks or Free guarantee is a total scam.

• Li
    lilleth May 01, 2008

I had some of the same bad experiences when joining the Raleigh gym in pre-sale when it first opened. They would offer one price, then I would go the next day to join and they would have a higher price. Now they offer no fee signups while I paid $75 to sign up. Now that the full version of the gym is opened, I've found classes there to be very good. But, I joined at a monthly rate of $31.99 a month. Today I checked my credit card statement and found a charge for $41.99. I don't know what's up with that. Last week someone called me and asked me to call corporate for an important message about my membership - and left a non-toll free #. I didn't call back.

none Mar 18, 2008

Get educated... maybe read what you're signing people. Or at leaste ask questions of your trained professional at your local LFF. Double Dues are at stake!

• Li
    Lifestyle employee Mar 08, 2008

I am truely sorry you all have had such unpleasant experiences. It is important to read and ask questions befpre you sign ANY agreement. By law, you have 3 business days to review any contract or agreement and change your mind for a FULL refund. ALso, note that the Florda and Ohio state statutes says that NO gym term agreemnet is valid after 3 years. Lifestyle agreements are automatically renewed every month until members give the stand 60 day written notice. This can be done by the following:
    go to any Lifestyle gym and tell them you wish to cancel. They will give you a written copy of your cancelation. 2. you may write to Lifestyle Family Fitness Corp. Office:140 Fountain Parkway St Petersbug, FL 33761.
    Please note that LFF has been in business over 25 years, and has close to 200, 000 members. Corporate office complaints from approx. less than 2% of our members, and of those complaints, most are resolved then and there right over the phone. Not all gyms are for everyone. Thank goodness there is a varity of clubs for people to choose from. LFF may NOT be the right club for you. So if you do not wish to work out with us, then at least find someplace where you feel you ARE happy. Our main concern is for your overall health and well being.

• La
    Lainey Feb 26, 2008

I called Lifestyle Family Fitness in Cary NC last night to find out how much memberships were. I was told they don't give out that information over the phone, and they invited me in for a "free" workout. I told the girl on the phone that the membership was both for my husband and myself, and he works 2 jobs so he doesn't have enough free time to waste on coming in there if the prices are not in our budget. She still insisted that she could not give out that info over the phone, we would need to come it. She asked if she could set up an appointment time for us. I told her no, I wasn't going to waste my time if it wasn't going to be in our budget, and she offered to transfer me to someone who could "help" me. The phone rang and rang and rang...no one ever answered.

After reading all these complaints, I'm glad they gave me such a run-around! I won't bother wasting my time with these fools!

• Re
    ReneeP Dec 31, 2007

I just received a flyer about this fitness place opening near me and I noticed almost ALL of the execs are CPA or involved with the bottom line in companies prior. NONE of them have any degerees in fitness or any background. SO the answer to everyone is PAY WITH AMERICAN EXPRESS
    NEVER NEVER HAVE FUNDS WITHDRAWN FROM A BANK ACCT. If they do not provide a service that they agreed to and you have names and dates you spoke with a particular person and can back up things..like eg that girl who clearly was not living in Cary at the time or you spoke with "Tom"
    this day at this time and then again this day at this time they will remove the charge. Also EVERY PERSON THAT TAKES THE TIME TO DOCUMENT HERE SHOULD ALSO CUT AND PASTE IT TO WWW.BBB.COM BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU it does mean something when all of these complaints start rolling in.