Lifestyle Family FitnessRefund and discontinue procedure sucks!

Read your paperwork Entirely before signing. I purchased a membership but unfortunately I was injured at work and had to discontinue the membership. But when I tried to stop my membership and get a refund, following there explicit rules to discontinue my membership due to health reasons, I supplied medical reports from Doctors and Specialists that they asked for and after faxing them and bringing them into the facility. I was given a bunch of garbage from the management and was denied any refund and had to pay for something I could no longer use due to my health problems. Shame on Lifestyle, Explain your rules better and enforce them properly and with some compassion. Your refund and discontinue procedure sucks, and what happened to the Customers always right. Corporate America at it's best or worse here.

Thanks a lot for nothing. A very unhappy ex-Customer.

• Ar
    ArchAngel66 Feb 01, 2007

I am a member in Ohio, but actually started my membership with California Fitness back in 1999. I had paid $200 downs to have a lifetime payment of $9.52 -- until I canceled (this was the very first gym located in a strip mail, which was small, if you were wondering how my payments are so low; trying to build there membership to become big)

Lifestyle has recently bought California out and had sent a notice saying that my membership would not change, which this should be; but now Lifestyle has sent out another notice stating “allowed by my membership” that they are increasing my dues.

I called to get my signed contract mailed to me, but the rep “Kathy” said they do not have it on file and only keep them in their database for two years. I asked her then how she knows this is true for my membership and she said that the “Billing Analyst Manager” Mike, was the one that did all the research and provided this to his boss(s) on who should be increased.

I then asked to be transferred to Mike and you guessed it, I had to leave a message; well, I never did receive a call back regarding my signed contract... So, I am sending a letter out, but I think this could be a class action lawsuit due to breach of contract and the fact they do not have my signed contract... Please let me know if anyone else has run into this problem...

Another Unhappy Ex-Customer Mar 19, 2007

I recently cancelled my membership with this very inconsiderate organization due to an extreme increase in membership fees. Upon cancellation, I was informed that I had to give a 60 day notice of cancellation and would owe two months worth of fees.

I asked for a copy of my membership agreement. I received a call to settle up my unpaid balance and I explained that I had yet to receive the agreement that I asked for. This person rudely exclaimed that he personally sent it and it does not take 30 days for mail to get to my location. However, when I tried to explain that I did not receive this, he stated that he would not send another copy and would mark my account as delinquent since I would not pay this without a copy of the membership.

This company has a motto of a commit to a lifestyle not a contract yet when you try to leave their lifestyle they try to degrade and belittle you.

• Su
    Sunny Mar 21, 2007

I 110% agree. LifeStyle Family Fitness sucks big time. They are the biggest cheaters in the business. All they want to do is rip you off your money. They would not refund your money easily.

Please do your self a favor NEVER join this gym, especially the one in Sawmill Area in Columbus and Polaris.

• La
    LaTasha Murray Apr 06, 2007

To Whom It May Concern:

Hello my name is LaTasha Murray and my husband joined a new gym in the Queen City. When my husband joined Lifestyle Family Fitness on Feb. 5, 2007 he was told that they have a 4-Week Comfort Guarantee. What that simple means is you have 30 days to try out the gym and they want you to visit at least 12 times to give them a fair try. My husband explained to them that with his work schedule it was going to be hard to make 12 visits since they were not open 24 hours. He expressed to them that he needed a gym that was 24 hours and Troy Wilkinson the Sales Manager stated to him if you only came 9 times to give them a fair chance, I do not have a problem giving you your money back. I make the approvals for the refund. So my husband joined on this Sales Managers word. Once he canceled on March 5, 2007 and explained to Troy that this is just not working out because of the hours of operation.

I had a hard time getting here the 9 times that you stated back in Feb.that you would work with me. My husband was told that he should receive a refund in about 7 to 10 days. Well on March 20, 2007 we had $32.99 taken out of the account and when we called Troy at the University location he stated that he was on it. He told my husband that he would call him back that day and we did not hear from him at all. My husband called on March 27, 2007 about the refund as well as now the addition $32.99 that was taken out on March 20, 2007. Someone told him in customer service that they had not received anything from the Charlotte location about his cancellation and he was still active. So my husband called Troy again and he stated that he was on it and he would call back later on that day. I called the corporate office and was told that it was pending and the reason it was denied was because he did not have 12 punches. Come to find out each night at closing they are suppose to enter the punches manually and they did not do that with the 9 sign ins that my husband did. Troy did got on the phone and emailed the corporate office asking them to stand behind the guarantee.

Jason from the Corporate office called later that day on March 27, 2007 and stated that the refund had been approved and he was going to expedite the refund. On all my husbands paper work they state they have 30 days to refund the money. Today is April 5, 2007 and we still do not have a check. I was told today when I called the Corporate office that since the 1st call was not made into the Corporate office until March 27, 2007 that they have 30 days form that date. I explained to Disa the Supervisor that it is not our fault that the University location is a new facility and they could not view the punches and that we have no control over what day the checks are printed on. (They only print checks on Monday for refunds)

We was told that the check would be in the mail this week and we are still giving a song and dance about why our money is not in our account or in route to our address this week.

I keep getting the run around with this company, once representative says this and another says that. I cannot
    get a straight answer and I do not know where else to turn.

Sincerely,
    LaTasha Murray

Andrew H May 22, 2007

Lifestyle Family Fitness, a fitness center dedicated to personal fitness through exercise and a healthy lifestyle is load of crap. Fitness clubs are located throughout the Southeast, Midwest, and Mid-Atlantic. I went into the gym and asked pay for a year membership in full all up front. The one girl they had working was not experienced at all, so some sort of senior membership guy named Timothy Cox (Largo, FL) did the paperwork for me and told me that I was paying a year in full and getting a discount for doing so... WRONG!!! MAKE SURE YOU READ THE PAPERWORK!!! I received this membership as a gift from my current employer and I left them halfway through the year. Apparently, my membership was a 6 month down payment... so when I quit, my company card was cancelled. Lifestyles put a $10 penalty every month on top of a $54 charge and kept charging the card!! I found out about after my previous employer said that had to make up $400 in charges because I WAS LIED TO!!! The company comes off as professional and I think all the membership guy (Timothy Cox) wanted to do was sell a membership to get his commission. I wrote Lifestyle Family Fitness and told them the situation. They don't care, they're still sending me a $129 statement every month and telling me that I didn't cancel, even though I have a printed out sign form that I got when I physically had to go to their facility and sign a cancellation form. This is the most ridiculous company I have ever dealt with and I've heard some other horror stories from friends that have worked there... if you're going to get a membership I would recommend a privately owned local gym, at least most of those have integrity and not a huge marketing budget to lure people in to take advantage of.

• Ke
    Keith May 25, 2007

I absolutely agree. Lifestyle Family Fitness people suck. They are scammers. They want to take your money - period. Had an awful experience with cancellation. The entire thing is set up in a way that it makes it hard for you to cancel.

I was told by one representative that I had to write in and send a physical mail that I want to cancel. When I joined, I was told that I would be getting the last month free since I paid for it at the time of joining. But no, the rip off is that if you read the fine fine print, they charge you for the last TWO months, which is in direct contradiction to what the manager told me.

They just want your money, that is all. This gym is a total rip off.

• Ji
    Jill Jun 01, 2007

Lifestyle is a bad idea. I went in with a friend and joined. She did not. 4 days later they called her telling her she could have something like $70 off the sign up fee price. I called asking why, when I signed up the day I walked in, I had to pay more. He said that it was just how business work. I am dreading when I will want to terminate my membership how that will go. I should prob attempt it about 6 months in advance.

• Co
    Corey COok Jun 06, 2007

I cannot say I am amazed reading any of this. I found this website after doing a search on this company because they just ripped me off. I went to a new location the opened in Cary North Carlina. I currently live in Baltimore Maryland. I was planning on moving to North Carolina and was just looking at gyms to see what they had to offer but had no intention of signing up until I actually moved there. I got the whole sing and dance with a my mother but this would not be available later if I moved.

Because of this I joined.

Found out later no free membership for my mother and a few other promises were nothing but lies. I went to the gym and said I wanted to cancel and get refund of the $125 I paid to them at sign up. Now also I never had active membership. My membership was put on hold until I moved there.

They told me I would not get a refund. I did not follow through with COMFORT GUARANTEE (kinda hard when I did not have active membership to use the gym).

I called home office to complain. They said basically they had to go on what the people at the gym are telling them. Basically what I got was I was not telling the truth and staff denies saying these things to me (interesting with a commission job). However the home office said they would have someone from the gym contact me in 24 to 48 hours.

Week goes by no phone call. So I call home office again. they tell me their records show that several attempts were made to reach me (this is at all not true. Not one phone call or message). I said the staff is lying and ducking my phone calls. (They take no phone calls from me at the Cary gym).

I asked the home office to check the phone records so we can get to the bottom of who is lying and who is telling the truth. When phone records show no one called me I think it is fair to say they are scared to call me because they have to face the person they lied to.

Long story short this gym is a nightmare and will do nothing to help you and hide behind anything they can. However I do not take to being ripped off, being lied to and then being branded the one who is lying. I fully tend to protest outside this gym. After reading what others have written here I think maybe it is time to take a class action suite against this gym. These people need to be taught a lesson.

• Ke
    Kevin Sanders Jul 09, 2007

I strongly agree. Last April (06) I had surgery, so I contacted the gym to place my membership on freeze. More than a year later I am being charged full dues still, and they claim to have no record of the change in status. After a visit to the location I used to go to and a call to corporate billing, I see how they do business. I even asked if I could come down to the corporate office to straighten things out, but was told that their office was in a "heavily secured building" and do not accept any visitors. They have it set up where getting out is not only frustrating, but next to impossible. I am not going to hold my breath on getting any sort of refund. Class action may not be a bad idea. Businesses that use strong arm techniques to keep their customers, or rather their customers money, should be held accountable.

• Sh
    Shawn Jul 16, 2007

Just to echo the complaints above: The lifestyle cancellation procedure is nothing short of a scam. I hold in my hand right now the contract I just signed today and in order to cancel, you must submit a cancellation request 60 days prior to the day actual cancellation takes place. This means in short that you will likely be forcibly charged for at least another month and a half of membership that you will likely not be using. This is in addition to a previous charge of a "Last Month's dues" which is mandatory when you sign. Also be prepared to pay about 90 dollars in random processing fees when you sign initially. That said, in summary, if you indeed want to join this gym (I again remind you of the 90! dollars in "processing fees"), keep in mind that you must cancel about 90 days in advance of when you expect to actually stop just to get the amount of service you are already paying for. Good thing there is 3 days to cancel the contract right after you sign, so I will take advantage of that right now, as I hope at least some of you will be able to as well.

Overall: Lifestyle Fitness, what a SCAM.

Lindsay Rehmann Jul 30, 2007

I won't tell the whole story, it pretty much goes as those above. I canceled, it seemed easy, no mention of the "60 days" and the remaining payment they would take out of my account and incurred 4 overdrafts due to purchases made after canceling membership. I was then told that this was my own fault because the procedures are clearly stated in my membership and cancellation paperwork.

Joe Nameless Aug 19, 2007

I not only had an issue with the membership department but also with my so called personal trainer Jay Ratwani. I joined the Apex club in North Carolina when it was in presale. Jay told me he guaranteed me 30lb weight loss within 3 months and showed me pictures of his client and now wife Danielle. He told me that he was the manager and was the most "qualified" out of everyone in the club so I was in good hands. After 3 months I lost 2lbs after following Jays wonder diet plan and meeting with his 3 x a week for 30min. I should have known just by looking at his appearance that I shouldn't of hired him as my personal trainer. We did a lot of machines when we worked out and I watched other trainers work with their clients doing more interesting exercises and all getting results.

I checked into Jays certifications on his business card with very reliable resources and they said based on his current certs I was overpaying him and he shouldn't be charging that much. I also bought 36 sessions from Jay and when it came to the end I had marked 32 used sessions in my calendar and Jay told me I had no sessions left I was outraged at this news and LFF wouldn't do anything about it. As far as I am concerned Jay is a rip off artist pretending to be a personal trainer. I don't know how this guy has lasted this long in a " reputable company". Jay was the main driver for me leaving the club combined with the billing issues. If you join LFF make sure you have a QUALIFIED, HONEST, PROFESSIONAL personal trainer and not a rip off artist like JAY RATWANI!

• Va
    Valerie Connelly Aug 30, 2007

I just moved to the Apex NC location and planned on joining the gym. I was trying to set up my membership to start at a later date while I finished unpacking etc. Yesterday evening I was told to come in to the gym for a VIP event. I was being helped by two very nice associates when the "manager" Nick stepped in to help. I told them that I was just trying to set up my membership for a later date, and that I was not ready to actually start there yet. The "managers" whole demeanor changed and he very nastily told me that "we do not do layaways". I got up and left. I was just trying to get things set up so that I would not have to do them later. If they insult people like this before they even join, I cannot imagine what it is like after.

• El
    Elizabeth Hoover-Story Sep 04, 2007

I should have known better but the lure of the location right next door to my work was too great. I called to get rates over the phone, which they would not do. Once I got the high pressure to appear in person, I knew the scam. So I hung up the phone can got on complaints board. Lifestyle Family Fitness is just another high pressure, multi-level marketing scheme. Maybe we can drive them out of business just like Bally.
    The next story you hear about them will probably be them selling your name and credit card information to the highest bidder.
    Thanks everybody for the heads up!

maurice Sep 13, 2007

I also agree 1000% worst Gym in the world. I being trying to cancel my membership for three months, and nothing. They just keep billing me. Furtunatly, I had cancel my credit card so they could not bill me a cent.

But, they have call me harrasing me, and have send me letters demanind payment. Sorry Lifestyles (aka. Crooks). Not getting any more of my money. This tit is dry.. LOL

DO yourself a favor stay away from lifestyle family fitness. They WILL rip you off!

• Be
    BE Sep 17, 2007

Due to the "$0 Enrollment" a coworker and I joined on 8/31. We work for a company that can get a discount...however you have to pay for the discount!!! They call it a 'conversion'. Basically, we walked out of there paying $99.05 and then they wanted another $35 for us to get a discount. Apparently they think the public is stupid and that we will pay for a discount. We were told by the idiot sales girl (she looked 12) that we did not have to pay for the conversion and so when we went in to clear things up with the SM Mike Ertel (OH), he said that we had to pay. There was also an issue of them claiming to call my coworker but not really doing it as the dumb girl entered the wrong #. So when my coworker called her a liar, the SM said that he 'Stood behind my employees 100%'. I then asked him if he was a SM, and he said 'No'. I said 'Well what is your exact title?' He said 'Sales Manager. Oops! I just lied to you." He did this to my face!!!!! He had no remorse for how we were treated and lied to. THERE IS NO $0 ENROLLMENT. We are now dealing with Corporate and the CSR we spoke to was great, but would only offer to waive a few fees and not refund our money. There is NO way I'm going to continue to give this company $$$. Also spoke to his manager to get a full refund and now it's being escalated to the DM. But we have to write a complaint first. Thank God I recorded all the conversations in order to nail them. This is the worst customer service I have ever experienced and I will forever warn people to stay away from them!!!!

• Pi
    Pissed Off At LFF Bradenton FL Sep 20, 2007

I fell for the high pressure LFF "Free Trial" where they make you ding a credit card but promise a refund after a month if you dont want to join. I asked the sales dolly if there were any obligations, and she said "No." READ THE FINE PRINT CAREFULLY! To get a refund you HAVE to show up a minimum number of times! Unknowing about this, I did not. When I asked for a refund, they said TOO BAD! I asked for the sales dolly, and OH she doesnt work here anymore! Calls to management were fruitless and frustrating. Very rude. I had to work with my credit card company American Express for months until LFF gave up. I think all LFF associates are Scientologists or some other sort of cult-nazi ....

• Un
    Un believable Oct 18, 2007

My 83 year old mother joined LFF in order to stay active and meet new people. After a brief orientation by their "trained" staff----she was left on her own. The thirty minute work out routine resulted in compression fractures in her back leading to surgery and she is now in a rehab home. We are in hopes that she will recover enough to avoid a nursing home. When I attempted to cancel her contract, I was told first that she would have to come to the gym and sign a document requesting the end of the contract, then I was told that they would release her from the contract with an exit fee which was company policy. I asked what if she died? "We would have to send them a death certificate." I told them to charge us the exit fee and end this charade because I didn't have time to screw with them. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he sent me to a voice mail box because she was off for the next two days----convenient, huh???

• Bd
    BDogg Nov 23, 2007

Ditto, ditto, ditto!!! This company is a joke! I had all of the same problems mentioned above while trying to cancel my membership. Same song and dance....I don't feel so bad now seeing that is all over the country. Oh, by the way, I won. Just dispute their charges through your bank.

• Bt
    BTT Nov 24, 2007

Complaint filed with BBB, Clearwater, FL:

Basically, it can be summed up as unfair billing practices. In my case they made mistakes and double billed me for one month. It took a couple of months and many, many phone calls later to get it resolved. And, no thanks to Lifestyle. I had to dispute the charges from my bank to get anywhere. They refused or could not "see" where they charged me twice in a month, even though the Bank of America accounts reps could plainly see it. Like I said, no help to them, but I eventually got it fixed after several Lifestyle "late penalty charges" later that also had to be removed. The other issue is how they can jack your membership dues up three dollars a month and never tell you. I have it auto debited from my checking account, which they make you do, and it had already gone up from 32 dollars a month to 35 in just over a year. I had to find this out on my own as they NEVER tell you by means of any communication (personal, email or phone) that they are raising your rates. I was good at 35 for about a year until I balanced my check book online and saw that they had been taking out 38.59 without me knowing it. So, for months, I was paying 3 dollars more a month that I thought and, in typical Lifestyle fashion, was never advised by anyone. How hard would it be for the cute little 13 year old blondes they have running the front counter to tell me on the way out..."Oh, have a nice day Mr. Smith, by the way, you will see a rate increase on next months membership dues." ? I probably would have also been ok with at least an email, but to find out months later is just poor business. My last and final Lifestyle complaint is that when I canceled my membership I was billed for two more months. When you sign up you allegedly pay your first month and last month in advance in addition to the 90 or so dollars in administrative fees... but when you cancel, they still bill you for two more months. So you do pay for the last month, but they make you pay for next two months so you get to keep going to their gym for another 60 days. Thanks... but I would rather not pay two more months and get my last pre-paid months worth, but you don't have that choice. Having quit them before, years ago, I know that they will continue to bill you for months long after you have given them their required written notice. That is a whole other can of worms that took months to fix, again no help to Lifestyle, but I did learn my lesson. I contacted my bank and made sure that they could not take the last EFT payment out of my account as I wanted to pay it in person at the front counter. Well, even though Trixie or Katie or whichever of the Olsen's were at the front counter that day said that was OK... they obviously do not know how their billing section works. It is not OK as I was hit with a 10 dollar surcharge when the EFT was not processed on 11/12/2007. Well, they re-submitted it on the 14th, took money out of my account without my approval, and added their 10 dollar surcharge as well. After repeated calls and me explaining how I was told by their employees that I could make the last payment in person I was told that I would see a refund credited to my bank account. Well... still waiting... so I have had to waste a ridiculous amount of time calling my bank to dispute yet another charge from Lifestyle Family Fitness.

Lifestyle Staff Member Nov 28, 2007

After working for Lifestyle for about 2 years I understand your frustrations with some of our corporate policies; however, it is your duty as a consumer to be an informed purchaser of goods.

The four week comfort guarantee is simple, though many people do not fully understand it. All it is, is a trial period. If you come in 3 times a week for 4 weeks, and sign in at the front desk/get your card swiped you are good. You don't technically even have to work out if you are completely dissatisfied, but if you are, why did you sign up in the first place with the intentions of quitting so soon?

Also, keep things documented. Get a copy of your agreement, which is given to you upon joining in the the "New Member Packet." You have no excuses, you were given a copy of the contract, Lifestyle is thus not responsible for your "loss or misplacement of the contract" there after.

Company policy is to send out a rate increase mailing prior to rate increase. If you didn't get the mailing, it was probably because you didn't update your mailing address with the facility. All the computers in Lifestyle are linked to the main database, if you don't keep them up to date, they have no way of tracking you down.

Now, when you sign up you pay what is called "first and last month's dues." By last month, they do not mean the last month of your contract, aka if you cancel. They mean the current month you are in, will be prorated. So, in essence, if you sign up on November 15th, you will be paying for the fifteen days left in November plus the upcomming month of October.

The 60 day cancellation period is in essence only 30 if you do it correctly. It isn't much different then giving 2 weeks notice to someone when you want to quit a job. If you come in 5 days before your billing cycle (because auto withdrawal on credit cards is usually taken out 4 or 5 days prior to the actual billing date), and cancel, you will be charged for that month (which you wouldn't have been able to avoid anyway) and then only billed one more time after that. However, if you come in right after your billing date and cancel, you will be billed that date, and then two more dates. Be smart if you are going to cancel, most people that use the facility don't cancel, those that joined just to join and don't actually use the facility, you have been paying for it for months and not using it, why did you wait to cancel? If you weren't going to use it, cancel. I have little sympathy for you.

Lifestyle is a great company to work for; they treat their staff well. In return, all of the staff I was fortunate enough to be a part of, communicate and treat their clientèle with the up most respect. We pride ourselves on customer service and if you have had any poor experiences, at the fault of our staff, I am truly sorry. Be an informed consumer and you won't have any problems in any ordeal, contracts are there for a reason. You wouldn't sell your house before checking the contract, don't invest in your health without doing so either.

• Cr
    craig ward Dec 06, 2007

Dont join! i have had nothing but nightmares corporate is a joke, they hang up on you rather than talk to you even if they do talk they wont help you, i have been trying to cancel my membership for 6 months now, i have mastercard and washington mutual on my side and they still wont stop charging me, i changed my credit card number but they keep running the charge every day on the old card, their really marking up my credit, these ppl are psycho, stay away.

P.s. i tried to picket outside the gym one day, they called the police to have me removed from their property and tried to get me for trespassing (even tho they are taking my money for a membership)

TELL YOUR STORY TO THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU!! Please get these ppl canned!

• Ji
    Jill Anne Wilson Dec 10, 2007

I cannot believe that in an atmosphere that seemed so pleasant and easy to work in could turn into something so unpleasant! A new gym opened within a mile of the house instead of the 10 miles that Lifestyle was. Duh! Give the written notice to the front desk at Lifestyle and the nice young lady says its taken care of, only to find out that she probably threw it away or was never instructed what to do with it. "Corporate" never received anything and the local gym says call "Corporate". Oh, what a Catch 22 this operation weaves. Alert - hopefully anyone considering joining Lifestyles Googles Lifestyle Complaints and rethinks their decision.

• Re
    ReneeP Dec 31, 2007

I just received a flyer about this fitness place opening near me and I noticed almost ALL of the execs are CPA or involved with the bottom line in companies prior. NONE of them have any degerees in fitness or any background. SO the answer to everyone is PAY WITH AMERICAN EXPRESS
    NEVER NEVER HAVE FUNDS WITHDRAWN FROM A BANK ACCT. If they do not provide a service that they agreed to and you have names and dates you spoke with a particular person and can back up things..like eg that girl who clearly was not living in Cary at the time or you spoke with "Tom"
    this day at this time and then again this day at this time they will remove the charge. Also EVERY PERSON THAT TAKES THE TIME TO DOCUMENT HERE SHOULD ALSO CUT AND PASTE IT TO WWW.BBB.COM BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU it does mean something when all of these complaints start rolling in.

• La
    Lainey Feb 26, 2008

I called Lifestyle Family Fitness in Cary NC last night to find out how much memberships were. I was told they don't give out that information over the phone, and they invited me in for a "free" workout. I told the girl on the phone that the membership was both for my husband and myself, and he works 2 jobs so he doesn't have enough free time to waste on coming in there if the prices are not in our budget. She still insisted that she could not give out that info over the phone, we would need to come it. She asked if she could set up an appointment time for us. I told her no, I wasn't going to waste my time if it wasn't going to be in our budget, and she offered to transfer me to someone who could "help" me. The phone rang and rang and rang...no one ever answered.

After reading all these complaints, I'm glad they gave me such a run-around! I won't bother wasting my time with these fools!

Lifestyle employee Mar 08, 2008

I am truely sorry you all have had such unpleasant experiences. It is important to read and ask questions befpre you sign ANY agreement. By law, you have 3 business days to review any contract or agreement and change your mind for a FULL refund. ALso, note that the Florda and Ohio state statutes says that NO gym term agreemnet is valid after 3 years. Lifestyle agreements are automatically renewed every month until members give the stand 60 day written notice. This can be done by the following:
    go to any Lifestyle gym and tell them you wish to cancel. They will give you a written copy of your cancelation. 2. you may write to Lifestyle Family Fitness Corp. Office:140 Fountain Parkway St Petersbug, FL 33761.
    Please note that LFF has been in business over 25 years, and has close to 200, 000 members. Corporate office complaints from approx. less than 2% of our members, and of those complaints, most are resolved then and there right over the phone. Not all gyms are for everyone. Thank goodness there is a varity of clubs for people to choose from. LFF may NOT be the right club for you. So if you do not wish to work out with us, then at least find someplace where you feel you ARE happy. Our main concern is for your overall health and well being.

none Mar 18, 2008

Get educated... maybe read what you're signing people. Or at leaste ask questions of your trained professional at your local LFF. Double Dues are at stake!

lilleth May 01, 2008

I had some of the same bad experiences when joining the Raleigh gym in pre-sale when it first opened. They would offer one price, then I would go the next day to join and they would have a higher price. Now they offer no fee signups while I paid $75 to sign up. Now that the full version of the gym is opened, I've found classes there to be very good. But, I joined at a monthly rate of $31.99 a month. Today I checked my credit card statement and found a charge for $41.99. I don't know what's up with that. Last week someone called me and asked me to call corporate for an important message about my membership - and left a non-toll free #. I didn't call back.

Marcia Cohen May 07, 2008

I signed up for the "Four Weeks - money back if not satisfied" with Lifestyle Fitness, hurt my shoulder on the first day with a trainer and have asked for my money back. HAH! Fat chance!

The employees at Lifestyle are very skilled at avoiding dealing with the customer (member) and it isn't likely that I'll see my money, ever.

This Four Weeks or Free guarantee is a total scam.

• Wg
    WG Jun 03, 2008

I joined under their 4 week-money back program and I totally got scammed!! After one week my car broke down. I called the club and spoke to the person who signed me up and told him about my car and how I couldn't afford to get it fixed until I was able to save the money up which would be a month or two. I asked him to cancel my membership. He told me that if I waited and canceled it the day before my 4 weeks was up I would get all my money back. So I had a friend drive me in the day before my 4 weeks was up, told them to cancel it and even got a paper from them saying that my membership was canceled and that I would be getting a refund of $183.00 but that it could take up to 30 days to get the refund. Well guess what 2 weeks went by and they charged me for another month. Hello!! I canceled! After multiple phone calls to many rude customer service specialist and supervisors I was told that I didn't meet their guidelindes for a refund. So not only were they going to keep my $183 but also the additional $68.47 they just charged me. Come on they claim to have over 700, 000 happy customers and they can't have a little bit of compasionate for the hard times I was having with my car being broke down. They said that if I had continued to come to the gym all month long they would have given me my money back. How did they expect me to get there?? I am going to pursue it further and I also stopped payment on the moeny they have taken. DON'T JOIN!!!

• Fl
    Floyd Royal Aug 14, 2008

Hi my name is Floyd Royal I have been a member in Tampa, FL for 3yrs i membership fee keeps increasing, it started at 34 then 44 now it just went to 54 with no warning. I lovr my health but the gym is not worth that much

• Xx
    xxgrowler14xx Apr 05, 2009

Not every business is perfect and not every one place employees 100 percent perfect people, everyone should know that. After reading these posts, I can completely understand why some are upset and frustrated but there are many posts on here that Lifestyles has nothing to do with. To the people that were mistreated and had poor customer service, or were hard closed with bad intentions, my sympathy is there for you. For the people who argue the 4 week comfort guarantee or the cancelation policies or the increase in monthly dues, I have none. Let me explain how Lifestyles and their membership programs work. There are of course exceptions to all, like poor customer service and employees who over promised and under delivered, for members who came in contact with misleading or even lying employees, it is extremely unfortunate and I am sorry, but not all Lifestyle clubs are like that and not every employee at Lifestyle is a devil. Lifestyle offers month to month memberships. At most clubs, there are 3 options. The customer picks the program that works best for them. In order to start, a customer must pay the last month, the prorated first month (which is always about a half month, it is the prorated amount from the day they start to the next billing date; there are 4 billing dates in the month), the enrollment fee and the one time activation fee. The enrollment fee can vary between zero dollars and $149, depending on enrollment specials. When you hear people say that its zero down or zero to start, that means the enrollment fee is zero, it never means you don't pay your last month, prorated first month, and the one time activation, no matter what your friends say or what you think. The one time activation is $20. It always is and can't be waived. The activation is charged to everyone except in case where more than two people in a family sign up at the same time. For example a family of 2, pays 40 dollars in activation fees, a family of 3, 4, or 5 will only pay 40 dollars as well. If a couple signs up today, and pays 40 dollars in activations, but they decide to add their teenage kid even the next day, a 20 dollar activation will be added for the kid b/c it wasn't done on the same day. The 4 week comfort allows people to become a member and use the club risk free. As of now, the 4 week comfort says, besides day of enrollment, the member must check in at least once a week for the first 4 weeks. If during the 4th week of membership, the member would like to cancel, a refund of the full amount paid on the enrollment day (last month, prorated first month, enrollment, and activation) plus the monthly bill that was charged 2 weeks after enrollment day will be completely paid back. This transaction doesn't happen over night people; it can take up to 30 days to be processed. Also, your minimum of 4 checkins in 4 different weeks must be seen in the computer. Every time you enter the club your card must be swiped, so that is not a problem. As for canceling your membership, it is a month to month membership yes, but requires a 60 day notice. All you have to do to cancel your membership is let the front desk person know; they will pull it up in the computer and ask for your signature, which will be on the electric signature pad. You don't have to send a letter to corporate or fax anything, or prove that you are moving 50 miles away from another club like some gyms make you. You are billed one more time and then you will have 60 days to use the club from that last billing date. 30 of the 60 days you paid when you enrolled! IF your billing date is on the 12th, you would cancel before the 12th; you then would be billed on the 12th and would have 60 days from the 12th to use the club. If you cancel on the 13th, you will be billed on the following 12th and in essence would be able to use the club approximately 90 days from the 13th. It's not rocket science and it's not a scam. People worry about the automatic debit and eft way off doing business. Know how it works and the cancelation policies before you complain. If your particular club had 2, 000 members, can you imagine having 2000 people at the front desk once a month trying to pay their bill? No, it would be an accounting nightmare. Lifestyle has over 200, 000 members, should they just send everyone a bill and cross their fingers that everyone pays on time?? If you live check to check or like to be in control of your finances, you can request to be "sent" a bill at home. There is a 5 dollar a month convenience charge for this. Lifestyles is not Bally's or Gold's, they do not get your social security number when you sign up. We have nothing to do with your credit. If you have failed to cancel your membership and have a balance or had a balance when you canceled your membership, the "collections agency" that calls you and tries to collect the money you owe Lifestyles, whether it was because you made a mistake and didn't cancel properly or you never paid while you were using the club, is not a collection agency that can ruin your credit. They are just trying to get the money you owe Lifestyles. If they keep calling, just pay it, you owe it! And last but not least, as far as raising membership rates with out telling members. It is a rare occurance but every health club in the business includes it in their agreements from bally's to golds, to 24 hour fitness, you name it and they include the right to raise the monthy dues at any time without consent. As I just stated, it rarely happens. Lifestyles is like most and reserves the right to raise a members dues after they have been a member for at least 12 months but they can only raise the dues a maximum of 5%. That means if you are paying 40 dollars a month and you have been a member for over a year, Lifestyle can bring you up to 42 dollars a month. Big frickin deal, they hardly ever do it, but if they do to you, what is the big deal, you have been a member for over a year, you obviously like the club, the cost of things increase every year in our economy including energy, taxes, and insurance just to name a few. Lifestyles, just like any other business, experiences increases on expenses, not to mention they are constantly improving clubs by maintaining cleanliness, fixing machines, buying new machines, expanding existing sites, and recertifying intstructors and trainers, just to list a few. Lifestlyes may sometimes be in a position to raise a members monthly dues, but it is only because they want to continue providing the best in quality service, equipment, and the best facilities to their customers, it's not so they can just make all the money they can. Lifestyle Family Fitness is an awesome gym, they have the best classes and the best equipment around. Some clubs may have a tainted employee or two, but what business doesn't, and especially in the health club industry! My advice would be to talk to your friends who are existing members and find out who took care of them or what employees they have noticed that gone above and beyond for others and get in contact with that person so that he or she can take care of you. A bad sales guy shouldn't stop you from starting on your health and fitness goals at one of the best places to do it in the country. And now you know the facts and know what to expect, there are no surprises. If you have questions about policies and the different programs a club offers, call them, ask to speak to a membership consultant, they won't give you prices over the phone so don't ask, but they will invite you into the club to see what your interests are and what you would like to do as far as your health is concerned. They will want to set up an appointment to show you the club so that you can see what you're getting for your money and they will also offer you a chance to have a workout and to bring a friend with you. As I said before, there are exceptions to everything, and for the people who came across bad apples in this business I am sorry. But for people who say they don't have time to set an appointment to see the club or just want to hear prices, those people aren't serious about acheiving their goals and those are the same people who only used the club once and are complaining about the cancelation policies on this site. The people who raise so many concerns about the 4 week money back guarantee on this site are the same ones that are still overweight or still have high blood pressure or still suffer from things like back pain or fatigue and will never get better. They are the same people that have always been unhappy and never satisfied with the way the look or feel and have and will continue to come up with excuses not to change. "Obsessed is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated." Always AIM HIGH and never quit. God bless.

• Go
    godschild May 30, 2009

LFF just duped us as well. We had a free pass for a week. We signed up about the 5th day and tried cancelling the next day, but were told that we waived the 30 day comfort clause. Our total came to over $115 and we will be billed next month as well. Total rip off. The reps never explained a whole lot--he was rushing to get us into the system. Now we just waisted over $200. The sales manager tried to act all nice and ask us if we wanted him to freeze the account so we wouldn't get billed until later. I said no. What goes around comes around though.It will come full circum to them with the way this economy is now. Before you sign anything ask them about their cancellation policy SEVERAL times.Don't take those reps word for it--speak to the Top Sales Manager!!! And make sure that is your VERY 1st VISIT if you sign up. Otherwise you probably won't be getting a refund should you say 'nevermind.'

• Gr
    gracesmith Aug 20, 2009

My comment is about the spin bikes that we are getting charged for (extra $10 a month) and the bikes do not spin correctly. There are major problems with the bikes and management has done nothing about them I attend the Tuskawilla Fitness center in Winter Springs Florida (outside of Orlando). If they don't fix the bikes I will quit the gym and never return. The bikes have major problems and no one seems to care. All you hear are complaints upon complaints. Frankly I will never recommend lifestyle fitness to anyone.
    Dont ever join LFF if you don't have too!
    LFF
    5920 Red Bug Lake Road
    Winter Springs, FL 32708
    Phone: 407-696-0600

• Pa
    PAPIKING May 07, 2010

LIFESTYLES ARE A BUNCH OF THEIVES, LIARS, AND RUDE PEOLE. I HAD TO ### AT THEM LONG ENOUGH TO GET A FREE MONTH BECAUSE I WAS LIED TO FROM DAY ONE. THEY WOULD ATTEMPT TO CHARGE YOUR CARD LIKE 3 TIMES A DAY AND 15 TIMES A WEEK! GOOD THING I GAVE THEM A PREPAID CARD SO I WOULDN'T BE CHARGED THE OVERDRAFT FEES. IMAGINE HOW MANY FEES I COULD OF RACKED UP. WHEN YOU TELL THEM THAT YOU DON'T HAVE THE FUNDS AVAILABLE AND NOT TO ATTEMPT AGAIN, THEY DON'T CARE. THEY WILL JUST KEEP ON DOING IT REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU TELL THEM. *** I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS GYM TO ANYONE***

Anthonie May 10, 2010

Life Style Taken nearly every month for one years out of my account. I am thinking of taking this further. I would like to have the money refunded, can we?

Anthonie - Clearwater, Florida. USA

• Du
    dupree May 11, 2010

i signed up for three months everything was perfect, nice people and the gym wasn't that far away from my house. little did i know these people were spineless.
    i recently did a partial payment for a year membership. i never signed anything to say i was agreeing to a new membership. i changed my mind a month later and told them i couldn't afford it and that i would pay for the couple of days i had used the gym. she practical told me to go and that i had no right and that no money would be refunded to me. i mentioned i would be happy to take a 6 month instead to keep the peace, she replied quite rudely "i can't make that decision". getting quite fed up with the quality of service i said well you have 24hrs from now, if he doesn't ring with a decision that suits myself and lifestyle i'll contact the department of fair trading. guess what they never called...

i contacted department of fair trading with all the information i had and they contacted them. apparently i was happy and that i agreed to all the terms of conditions and i was owed nothing.
    a. i had signed the initial 3 month agreement and they kept referring to it - idiots this was expired and has no merit as an outstanding contract.
    b. i had said i would pay and that in good faith they expected the rest - idiots isn't good faith system a two way street. the good faith system isn't a contract if it was i wouldn't have a leg to stand on. shouldn't i be entitled to get my money back if its good faith?
    c. they added to the outstanding contract after i left to cover themselves. what type of people do we entitle our credit card number too.
    d. they said i haven't sent a letter detailing my cancellation - IDIOTS why would i sign anything when there isn't a contract to cancel. by me admitting it i give them rights to send debt collectors to collect the remaining money. they are cunning and stupid people i have every right to make it known that they are ripping off people.

i now have the option of taking them to small claims court, the moral of the story is don't lock yourself in with these vultures for long contracts. they are open for a reason they make money by riping people off. the lady at the desk mentioned how they had refused another refund half an hour before me. the department of fair trading as our rights on there so when signing up to a gym make sure you cover yourself first, they might seem nice and helpful but at the end of the day they are a business through and through. i sucks being right but its even harder when they have your hard earned money and no intention on meeting you half way

• Un
    unknown77 Aug 01, 2010

Lifestyle gives you a refund which is something hardly anybody does in the first place. It goes simply like this the comfort guarantee allows you to try the gym as a member for 4 wks risk free. If for any reason what so ever you are unhappy you get a refund of your money and get a free month membership. The only thing asked is that you come in once I repeat 1 time per week to give Lifestyle a fair shake?? Is that really so bad?

Not-a-Chump Aug 24, 2010

I'm so pissed I can't see straight!!! Went through the same basic situations as everyone else with an evil witch from the billing department. Nastiest attitude and lack of professionalism I ever witnessed... All this over 27.00 which I paid thinking that was the last of this joke for a business. Lo and behold tonight here comes another nasty call from another evil witch stating I was the problem and should have understood. There's gotta be a way to put these clowns out of business once and for all. I may not be successful but I'm going to do everything that's legal to shut them down. I could write in more detail but really can't think straight right now. Sorry!!

Not-a-Chump Aug 24, 2010

unknown77...I hear lifestyles is hiring idiots like you so put in your application as soon as possible. Such an idiot as you should be hired on the spot!

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices