Lifestyle Family Fitness Complaints & Reviews

Lifestyle Family Fitness
11252 W Hillsborough Ave
Tampa FL [protected]

Complaint Description:
In July/August of 2011, I attempted to cancel my membership. The membership was a joint membership for myself and my wife. Not only was I unhappy with the 60 day notice, but I then found out they never canceled my wife's. They "claim' that I never specified. My rebuttle- WHY SHOULD I?? It was a joint account from the start. Further more, my wife NEVER once used the account. I find it highly fraudulent that their membership advisor would not ADVISE a customer on the policies. That he would not inform me that I had to verbally specifiy mine AND my wife's. I also find it fraudulent that he knowing ommitted this information despite likely seeing that she never used the account and that I used words like "we" and "us' repetively when noting we were moving to the other side of the state where they had no facilities. So instead, I notice 3 months later and then have to pay an additional 60 days once I caught the error. Lifestyle refused to make a change and tried to insinuate it was my fault. They said they had a recorded conversation, which I requested to hear multiple times and never once heard. Finally, after having several people call me (not one knowledgable of prior conversations)- they said "we will send you to collections" (this is after I disputed the charges and had them reversed on my credit card). Now I have to go to court over $104. The money doesn't matter as much as the principle and business ethics involved in their shady and fraudelent business.

Linuxfed Jan 17, 2012

I have just experienced the same issue in Columbus, Ohio. Waiting for others to have same issue so that a class action will be started.

• Un
    Unhappy Mom and daughter Feb 11, 2012

LFF is very deceptive about the cancellation information. My daughter joined in October telling them she was moving in 2 months. She just wanted a 2 month membership. They insisted we are month to month so you can cancel anytime. She asked him when she joined, "so I should cancel in 30 days?" He said yes. Well in 30 days she found out there was a 60 days policy. She got sick and wasn't able to cancel and bottom line her 2 month membership will hopefully be canceled in April (6 months later). Once they get your money, nothing is their fault. So because my daughter didn't want her membership to go to waste when she was gone, she re-instated it and transferred it to my name and then we were going to cancel. My daughter had everything (tanning, classes and exercise). So first I wanted to downgrade to just the gym which is all I was going to use and then cancel. I was told to downgrade (by the LFF Customer Service person after being on hold for 15 minutes) first and then call back in a couple of days to cancel which I did. So when my daughter was again charged the full amount, I called up and it was my fault that I cancelled before the downgrade took effect even though I have an e-mail stating my membership was downgraded. I can't wait until this is over and done. On top of that, the customer service rep on the phone was rude and hung up on me. I called back the next day and was told, "well the supervisor got on the call so you must have gotten rude - I absolutely did not get rude - they were the rude ones. Would not let me explain and hung up on me. I will tell everyone I know to never join LFF.

Lifestyle Family Fitnesscancel membership

We signed up for the fitness club at Lifestyle Family Fitness. We were told that our teens were free for "a year". We were told of two membership options when we asked what the pricing options were. We were told that we had to cancel giving a thirty day notice. We later found out that the free year ended at the end of December which gives a free half year. There was a third pricing option that we would have taken if we were told of it. This we found out long after we signed the contract. We now want to cancel. We are hasseled. They want to charge us a full month for our payment of one week ago. They want to charge us another month on top of that. Then they want to keep our 30 day deposit. They wish to charge us almost three months from our cancellation when we thought it was only thirty days.t

an honest consumer Nov 14, 2011

I finally spoke to a lady in middle management and straightened it out. If you receive grief, ask for a manager!

mabuhay Nov 18, 2011

Do not deal with Lifestyle Fitness Membership. Do not get it. They are not to be trusted

mabuhay Nov 18, 2011

Lifestyle Fitness is not to be trusted. Believe me I know. I learned the hard way.

Lifestyle Family FitnessSupport Center Rip Off

On July 6th, 2011 I signed up for membership @ the Bradenton location on 14th Street in Florida. Bear in mind that I had a one week pass to try the facility out at no cost nor obligation. I dealt with an individual named Mr. Ed Santiago who insisted I sign a contract then and there in order to get a special discounted price for leaving my gym (Planet Fitness). I proceeded to give him my debit card information with the understanding it would not be used to pay for a membership unless I decided to join after my week was up. The following morning, July 7th, I checked my bank account balance online and discovered a fee of $21.29 was deducted from my bank account. I was so irate that I immediately proceeded to the Bradenton Branch of Lifestyle Family Fitness to cancel this supposed membership. I was told by a clerk that I needed to call [protected] and that Mr. Santiago was not in. It is now July 16th and am still awaiting the return of my money. All contact with personnel at the main office in St. Petersburg tells me that my request to cancel a membership that I never asked for is supposedly being processed. My mention of the 3 day right of rescission is a joke to them, beware these are not reputable people..

• In
    intellex58 Jul 25, 2011

You beware, don’t give somebody your debit card numbers unless you want to be charged for something.

Resolved Lifestyle Family Fitnesscant cancel

I was a member of the LFF in Venice, Fl. for some time, until Jan. 2011, when I went back to my country, Iceland. I was told to call a woman named Lee, in order to cancel. She told me to send her an email. I did that thinking I was done canceling. No sir... checking my Visa account, there are still withdrawals. I called, was transfered, put on hold and not just once. Fett up is the proper terminology. Sometimes you just can´t win for loosing. I give up. I am a long term member, weather I like it or not. I don´t think so... I have had to cancel and change my credit cards in order to avoid LFF. They will definitely not get more money for running their scam this way. May this be a warning to anyone thinking of joining a fitness club, in particular Lifestyle

Andy1234567 Oct 11, 2011

LFF is the biggest bunch of cheaters and Liars. They will say you are cancelled but you can never get id of them. Do not join this club or be prepared to shell out $200 minimum to get the admission.

Lifestyle Family FitnessMembership cancellation and sign up information

January 2009, my husband and I, my in-laws and uncle all joined Lifestyle Family Fitness. Joining cost about $90 down plus what we were told was our first and LAST months dues, monthly dues at the time were $65. We were told by our sales person Nolan that we were paying for our last month up front, that we could cancel at any time because there is no contract, and that we could put our membership on freeze at any time for a small monthly fee. Spring 2010, we decided to place our account on a freeze because of our financial issues. This freeze cost $22.98 per month. In October of 2010, I chose to unfreeze our account-which COST us money-$20.00 to do so! Un-freezing was a mistake, because we have recently filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy, so in February I decided to cancel for good. I would like to say that, even though the sales staff may have misinformed us, they have been helpful all along, the issues I am having are with their corporate office and how they handle cancellations and billing issues. When you cancel, you are directed to call a corporate phone number. No one ever answers the phone number and you are forced to leave a voicemail. Finally, after 2 messages, my husband receives a call back. They instruct him that he will receive an email, in which he is to respond to with CANCEL in the body, and our membership would be cancelled. My husband did so on February 21st. We both thought that was that, until he started receiving call after call. The calls were because our charges had been declined (declined because our Bankruptcy attorney instructed us to empty that bank account) my husband spoke with the customer service agent and explained that he would have to speak with me regarding it, because it did not seem right. I again called the corporate number with no response, so I decided to call our local club, which is when I found out that Jason was cancelled but not myself, and this was because the cancel came from his email account not mine and his. I called corporate again, twice with no response, so in frustration I went online to their website and filled out their generic comment email section about my issue. After discussing with my husband all the issues I had run into, he decided that he could forward me the email they sent him, and then I respond in the same way he had before. In addition to this email, I also emailed the same address regarding all of the issues I've had with no response to date. Jason has continued to receive phone calls for the TWO months+$15.00 returned check fee that they say we owe because they are now stating that they never received a cancel for Jason. I spoke with a customer service rep, Lee A. today who said that they would we willing to waive the last month’s fees so that we only owe $69.00+$15.00. We should not owe anything. It should not have been my husbands responsibility to forward me an email to cancel my account. In fact, our account should have been cancelled in February. I have since filed a complaint with the BBB and in retaliation on the 25th Lifestyle withdrew $169.96 from our checking account. This company’s cancellation policy is not only nearly impossible but archaic and maddening. The customer service agents are rude; treat you as though you are delinquent, even though you can never get a return phone call. Not to mention that they lied to us from the get-go. Liars and Thieves!

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessPoor Member and Employee Services

This company has truly been shot to hell. It's a huge corporation that thinks it's a small business. They are unappreciative of their employees, and it reflects on the Members. I was a former employee, and after a management change, I discovered that they were planning on firing me because I had asked for help when most of my responsibilities had been taken away. The leadership is very fake, and very two-faced.

Also, I can personally tell you that the agreement is a huge scam. If you get the Comfort Gurantee, you must come 4 times, excluding the time you sign up. They do not check you in half the time, unless you force them to. Should you still want to cancel, you have to pay for another month, then you have 60 days to work out a gym that no one wants. Also, annually, Basic members will be charged an extra 25.00. After 1 year, your dues will increase by 2 dollars, and each year after that. Should your card bounce or be rejected, you will be charged 15.00, and your dues will rise by 5.00. If you decide to go to statement billing, your dues rise by 5.00. They have add-ons, and if you wished to remove one, you're charged a 20.00 downgrade fee - which they will not inform you of. If you have a medical problem and need to cancel, or if you're trying to freeze, they will charge you fees.

Also, those comment cards? We dump the box every 6 months or so, and throw them out. I wouldn't waste my time with them. Your suggestions do not matter to any of the managers or upper level employees. They pay poorly, act poorly, and it reflects on the company poorly. I loved the classes, and I do miss them, but it's just not worth working or working out there anymore.

I was a Member Services employee (front desk) at FSH and I will apologize to anyone who had a problem with me. I am so much happier now that I am not associated with that place, and I hope my words help you in your decision to join.

livestrong3109 Apr 23, 2011

Lifestyle Family Fitness is a great place to work at, IF YOU DO YOUR JOB! If you don't try to scam the system and skate by, it's a very EASY place to get along with. Our management staff is now very good thanks to a few changes at the Fishers area and our members comment on it daily. It's so nice to work in a place where you feel appreciated and we see results daily. Since I've gotten started at LFF Fishers, we've had 3 management changes and we're waiting on our 4th. Our sales team is doing great with assistance from the front desk and none of us hate coming to work! We actually don't have to sit and watch everything our co-workers do, so we can trust in each other! The Personal Training area has gotten so much better since they let go of a guy who was there for the wrong reasons. Our PTM, GM, and RVP, have been great at making sure we are all on track to have a great year. Please feel free to come in and visit our location anytime, we'd be happy to have you as part of our family :) visit LFF.com for your experience to start!

Resolved Lifestyle Family Fitnesscancellation policies

BEWARE OF THIS CLUB! Once you give them your credit card they will charge it no matter what. If you ever think you may have to cancel beacause of health reasons or because you will move have a lawyer look at the five page agreement. They got you locked in.
And if you do sign up, do so for the lowest priced option. They will try to get you connected with a "personal trainer". That person is basically a salesperson. They will get you to sign up for extra services.
But read some of the other comments on this website. The employees are unhappy and so are the customers.
Go to the YMCA! No matter what, they will get 60 days payment out of you. And forget about talking to a human. They leave you on hold forever.

THIS PLACE IS A RIP-OFF!!!
That was my experience anyway.

sam5222 Feb 12, 2011

Beware of giving Lifestyle Family Fitness your credit card! I canceled my membership in October 2010, but they continue to charge my credit card 4 months after I canceled. I called Lifestyle several times and the representatives have always been rude and unhelpful. If you give your credit card to Lifestyle they will never stop charging you!

Lifestyle Family Fitness Feb 14, 2011

Hi Samuel,

We thank you for the post and for bringing this matter to our attention. We apologize for the problems you experienced in cancelling your membership. According to our membership agreement, all cancellation requests must be received in writing. We first received your cancellation letter dated December 14, 2010. We have no record of any earlier effort to cancel your membership. Based on your December letter, your final bill (dated January 12, 2011) covered the remaining outstanding balance due for your account. The last 30 days of your membership were at no additional charge and were not billed to you. Please feel free to contact us at 1-866-533-2222 if we can provide further assistance.

Regards,
    Lifestyle Family Fitness Management Team

• Ve
    very unhappy,never again! Mar 25, 2011

The worse place, EVER !!! UNLESS U WANT TO BE CHARGE EVEN AFTER U R CALLING THIS PEOPLE AND CANCELLING THE JYM!!! NEVER AGAIN!!! SCUMMERS.

joeking1978 Nov 17, 2011

• Wy
    wyrdotter Oct 29, 2012

Amen! I called to ask about cancellation, was told that "we'll take care of that for you." Then, when I got charged, I went in, was called a liar, given some line of BS about "processing charges, " and made to sign a bunch of paperwork that they then assured me would cancel my membership and prevent future charges. Today's bank statement show's they've charged me again! Anybody know how to scrape these barnacles off? They've already cost me $75 in overdraft fees (the whole point in trying to cancel is that I'm unemployed and can't afford to pay the gym membership any more). I really need the cash they're sucking out for other, more important, expenses.

Lifestyle Family Fitnesspoor business practice

I am too tired to write a long disertation on why I am disappointed with this gym. However, there are a few things I can write.
Dirty. Trainers leave and there are no options at local gym. Management offers assistance but seem insincere. Called to cancel and actually had to take abuse from the Promo dept Lisa - I stated I called to cancel lets cut the crap and she was so offended by the use of that word stating she was only trying to help and give me options. Duh I called to cancel. Would not reccomend this expensive, overpriced, dirty facility to anyone. Just my opinion.

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessScam

Life Style Family Fitness East Columbus, 5929 E. Main Street Columbus, OH 43213 has the worst customer service. The main culprit it the general manager who is rude and does not carry though with his word.

When signing up for a membership he was very friendly but when trying to cancel is he went out of his way trying to make it impossible for us to get our money back even though we signed a document stating we could cancel in 30 days.

Be careful when signing a document like this because you have to cancel in 30 days they won’t let you do it before the 30 days, well they will be you won’t get any money back. Plus you have to go once a week for the 30 days meaning once every seven days not once this Tuesday, then go again next Thursday. The manger went out of his was telling me I wasn’t there once every seven days. He even got a calendar getting smart trying to show me but in the end he was wrong. I went out of my way to go twice a week just to make sure met the requirements. Then he told me I would get my money back in a check no through my back account and of course I was charged again the next month. When I called and spoke to him about it he got smart stating I had more than one person on my account so that’s why he didn’t cancel it. Even though he assured me I would not be charged on that account again.

The customer service reps. at the call center are a lot nicer even though one left me on hold for ten minutes then disconnected the call but I don’t blame her because I was quite frustrated and might of taken out on her. Overall the general manger is rude, cocky and only gives you respect if you are a continuing customer.

• I completely agree with this post, the LFF in Indianapolis, IN on 82 Street in Castleton was the exact same way for me. I cancled my account after I had met the requirments and I am still fighting to get my money back. The manager here acted the exact same way, friendly and welcoming at first, then when i had to cancle because of financial reasons, and I just didnt have time to work out in my busy schedule he stated that I didnt meet the requriments and he said he would "investigate it". Ya, bull****. I wrote my phone # down for him and he stuck it on his desk saying that he would call me in an hour after he talked to corporate. He never called me, so i went back in. He claimed corporate hadnt gotten back to him and said again that he would call me as soon as possible. 3 days went by and no call. I went in again and he said corporate still didnt get back to him, "he blamed it on a busy month" and he said he would call me first thing in the morning. He never called. Its been over 2 weeks now and i have begun to get very frusterated with this manager, this business, and their so called customer satisfaction. I dont know if i'll ever get my money back or if they will ever stop charging my account, but i dont plan to stop untill i get ALL of my money back !!! - Very Disrespectfull and Ridiculous customer service.

• Nu
    Nursescare Aug 19, 2011

I mailed a letter to cancel my contract. Should have sent certified mail as they claim they never received it. Now won't let me cancel my membership and continues to bill on a monthly basis. They say I can't cancel until I bring my account up to date. This is unfair trade practice. Has anyone else had the same "lost letter" scenario?

Resolved Lifestyle Family Fitness — Do not work there

Do not work there.Kicked out and Fired! I was a member at the Lake Mary club for 3 years. I worked at the...

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessDenial and Disrespect

I joined in January 2009 and they have a number of times now NOT charged my credit card while claiming they tried and then trying to say when they charged, it was declined. This allows them to charge the very same credit card they claim declined moments earlier with a $10.00 late fee each month.

Catching on to this I complained and found most of the people at the local gym in Pickerington, Ohio helpful but have also found some absolutely rude and uncaring people at the home office in Florida.

Linsey is a manager who has been very rude to me on a number of occations and most recently when I called in a few days ago, seeing that it was me she simply hung up in my ear. Just shameful. Even one of the desk girls at the club when I told her I had a problem with the home office suggested to me "Oh, you must have dealt with Lindsey" and went on to explain she hears that a lot so it's clearly a huge issue that LFF in FL just ignores.

Andrea is Lindsey's boss and it depends on the day with her. Andrea was really nice and helpful last month but today belittled me and tried to be dismissive about the real issues. I happen to confuse her adn another woman in a different department and she not only corrected me sharply but went on to use adverserial phrases like "I'm just trying to keep your factual" and "We need to just deal with the facts" Of course, the facts about shadey CC charges and people hanging up in my ear she was not interested in at all.

LFF has a great thing going at the gym level but I have now cancelled my kid's memberships and have had a couple of others I referred there cancel as well because of this.

For me, its not so much the money as it is the underlying false accusations of my somehow not being "factual" which of course infers to the logical person that I am lying, which I was not. The people for me at the local gym level have been great and friendly but the people in FL (with the exception of Chris who did do what he promised to do) are all out to do damage control instead of true customer service. Make no mistake, under the smiles you are just a number to the people on the phone in FL and their goal is to keep you quiet, not to resolve an actual issue.

..and yes, the cancelation policy is an absolute scam the way it is carried out. One month in advance makes perfect sense and protects the club which is very understandable. Two months is a gross taking advantage of others. Be warned when you sign up!!!

• Le
    Levi McGrath Nov 16, 2009

I am having a problem with the lifestyle in pickerington as well. I was signed up with a woman named amy, I discussed that I wanted to be with the gym for only three months, because I was going to leave for college. She said this was no problem, so I paid the first and last months dues and had a charge for the month of august. I wasn't going to use most of september so she gave me a card I could use to redeem when I return for winter break.
    Well october rolls around, and I get a charge for 31.00 dollars. It takes me by surprise, I am broke for a week in school, I call them and I am told it was the last months dues. I let it slide with an coarse tone.
    November. Another charge, this time it overdrafts my account and I have to pay 70.00 dollars in overdraft fees to my bank. I call them to dispute this charge and I am told that because I never submitted a cancellation request in writing that I will be charged an additional 11.50 to stop all account activity immediately. I have no money. I scraped enough to cover the overdraft fees and I canceled my card.
    I get a call today that says they tried to charge my debit card but it didn't go through. They told me today that I will have to pay 51.00 dollars as well write a letter confirming my request to cancel. I opted to have it marked as a debt, and I still have to write them to cancel my account.
    So basically I was signed up, under the belief that I would be paying for three months, I confirmed this with amy, and their billing dept. ran rampant on my account.

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessScam charges

I enrolled with LFF then later added my live-in boyfriend to my membership and used my credit card to pay for the membership. I cancelled my gym membership (by written letter in March 2008, stating to please cancel my membership and hault all charges to my credit card) with Lifestyle Family Fitness and they continue to take funds from my credit card account. I called their customer support/billing center and spoke with a Tristian. I told him I was charged $79.16 on 5/27/08 after my account was cancelled. He told me to fax my credit card statement and he would remove the charge. He agreed I was charged incorrectly and my account was in fact cancelled in April 2008. The charge was not removed and another charge was added on 6/14/08 in the amount of $39.58 so I called back and spoke to a Jason M. who told me that I should have specified that I was cancelling the other person as well as myself when cancelling my account, refused to refund my money, told me there was nothing he could do about it, then told me to email him a request to cancel Matthew's account (even though I explained to him that Matthew did not have his own account, he was under mine.)

So LFF opened a new membership for my "plus one" and continue taking money from my credit card to pay for his monthly fees after I stated to stop all charges to my credit card and cancel my entire membership.

I have filed a complaint with the BBB and LFF still refuses to refund my money. Apparently LFF has had no training in customer service and make their money by stealing from former members.

I recommend, if you still decide to join this gym after reading this, you do not sign up for direct pay through your banking or credit card account. But instead pay your monthly fees by cash or check.

Joyce Tanner Aug 01, 2009

WOW!!! The Bank people said that they have DAILY COMPLAINTS from former members having money STOLEN from their accounts!!!-BY: "LIFESTYLE FAMILY FITNESS", ..in BRANDON, FLORIDA33511 -Guess their ENTIRE CHAIN IS TAUGHT TO LIE, CHEAT, STEAL, and...SCAM!!! LOOK HOW MANY COMPLAINTS THERE ARE!!!

Lifestyle Family Fitness....?..Comfort Guarantee..

I visited Lifestyle Fitness Center, because the sign said that they were waiving the enrollment fee for a limited time.I had broken my finger, was wearing a cast, and explained to the Manager that I met with, that I was seeing a Dr.in a couple days, and would call and let her know when I could join.She agreed to hold the paperwork, and do nothing until I called.Two days later I learned that it required surgery, pins, pain meds., and large cast, with at least two mos.healing time.-I called and canceled completely.I was told that she wasn't in, so asked if she had voice mail-NO.I told them to be sure to give her the msg.I called again the next day, just to make sure.Same thing.The next day, a guy called to see when I was coming in for my session with a personal trainer.Again I explained.He apologized, and said that it was a mistake.-He said the same thing the next time that he called, and the next.Three mos.later, I ended up with overdraft fees, which was a big surprise since I wasn't even using the acct.I learned that they were continually taking money from my acct.close to $200.00, which caused the overdraft fees.After contacting them, I was told that they had 'NO MANAGER" in their facility, and that I needed to contact their corporate office, which gave me the runaround for over an hour.Then was told that I was required to send them a 'CERTIFIED LETTER"-which they 'TOLD" me about on the first day, and was in my contract, because 'THEY ALWAYS DO THAT!!!" -I didn't even leave with any paperwork!!!

• Au
    auroraCananis Jul 10, 2009

Gyms are so famous for this kind of crap! File complaints with your state's attorney general and with the bbb.org.

• Ca
    cary61 Jul 26, 2009

I work for them and can tell this is one sided. No one leaves with out paperwork. You must intial that the cancellation must be done in person. People have cancelled boyfriend, girlfriend ect. in the past. you must get off your butt and come down to the place you came to in the first place and cancel. It's quick and easy if you follow the rules.

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessSwim Lessons Offered in Lap Pool

LFF in Winter Park Village has finally done the unthinkable...allowing infants into the lap swimming pool. I'v been told this is for some sort of swim lesson program. All I can say as a competitive swimmer is, "Totally Disgusting". How dare LFF allow peeing and pooping infants into a lap swimming pool. Not only does this swim class start at the peak hours of business, but it also takes up one out of three lanes total for the other paying members to lap swim. I can think of nothing more repulsive than having to swim next to an infant who's peeing and crapping in their diaper/swimsuit right next to me while I'm trying to swim laps. Are these infants paying $30/month at minimum to use this pool like the rest of us? I think not. LFF has stooped to a new low. What's next? Letting children lift free weights. If parents want swim lessons for their infants, go to a public pool facility or an instructor’s house for crying out loud.

Angermanagement Dec 02, 2009

You must be an ###. Besides that, the clorination takes less than 7 seconds to kill any bacteria or germs. The wonderful thing is that every person has an ### with some ### on it and sweat is full of urin. You've been swimming in adults bodily waste for a long time. Get over it.

• At
    Atlanta404 Mar 09, 2010

yeah, dude this is a non-issue. The chlorine in that pool kills more poop and piss than those kids can produce.

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessChild Care & Membership Cancellation

I left my daughter in the daycare for 45 minutes. When I dropped her off there was only one girl working in the center but only 3 children. When I picked her up the same girl was talking on her cell phone and there were around 15 children of all ages running around and I was almost out the door before she even noticed me leaving. The other girl who was supposed to be working was at the front desk talking about how she hasn't gotten her hair done in so long.

I went back to the club at a later date and told a salesperson I wanted my money back. He told me there was no manager on duty and that I would need to come back Mon-Fri between 9 and 5 (the hours most people work... just a coincidence he assured me...) I went back and had to go though the same sales person, who referred me to a manager who told me that she was new and did not know if she could give me a refund. The sales person went and spoke to a district manager who came out and told me that he would not give me a refund until I qualify for their comfort refund. I have given my key tag every time I have gone in and they considered some of these dates they don't even consider workouts... I have to wait another two weeks and come in on an exact date and hope I catch a manager to get my refund. I refuse to leave my daughter in their child care program and they don't understand why "because we usually have 3 or 4 girls working in there and you must sign the child in and out." Sorry Lifestyle, but when it comes to the safety of the children in your care, USUALLY doesn't cut it!

• Mi
    MissyHweLee Aug 31, 2009

I also have issues with the daycare staff, and since the day of my incident have never taken them back.

The staff has been watching TV (cartoons) instead of keeping their eyes on the kids. One parent walked out with my kid's shoes buried behind the cubby and a water bottle, which meant that the employee watching the door wasn't paying attention either.

Management response was "we'll handle it", which was totally unacceptable.

Here's the lesson learned: A serious accident is waiting to happen at LFF Day Cares.

The Apex NC branch of the LFF was closed week of Aug 23-Aug-29, 2009 because some parent brought their lice infested kid in. Nice, huh?

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessComfort Guarantee Scam

The Lifestyle Comfort Guarantee is a huge scam, and here's why:

If you take the tour and decide to sign up that day, they will waive the enrollment fee and you will be in the Comfort Guarantee program. Basically if you cancel within the first month, you'll get your money back.

Here's where the trick is. You have to come in once for the 1st 4 weeks. They don't state this, but it is in the print, so what can you do? Just beware.

Lucky for me, I came in once per week for the 1st 4 weeks. As it happened, Andrew, the manager who signed me up, was there almost everyday I came in. A nice fellow. Several times he was at the counter and say "I've already got you signed in, enjoy your workout".

As it turned out, he wasn't signing me in. When I went to cancel my membership, they only had half the times I came in listed.

The other thing they get you on is that they take the pro-rated amount for the month, plus an additional month worth of membership. Andrew explained to me that this is for the "last month" of the membership for when/if I cancel. To put dates on this, I signed up on 3/5/09 and was paid up until 4/20/09. Then on 3/20/09 they withdrew another payment, so on 3/20/09 I was paid up until 5/20/09.

Now since they are saying I don't qualify for the Comfort Guarantee, they are saying they can withdraw one more payment on 4/20/09, which would have me paid up until 6/20/09. This place has made me so sick, I am certainly not going.

Joyce Tanner Mar 16, 2010

-ABSOLUTELY!!! -Do they 'all' work on comission???-Because they will say anything ...'true-or not' to get your cash. They never seem to get your cancel request, ..or, you don't qualify. Cheap and Tacky is their standard-if you could even call it that. Lauren, Brandon, Florida

Joyce Tanner Mar 16, 2010

Also took my money and refused to refund it though I had surgery a few days after joining...Geee, ...how does this "COMFORT GUARANTEE"work, anyway???-I thought that you had a 'cancellation policy'.-Yet nothing seems to qualify. Joyce in Brandon, Fl.33510

• Fo
    formermsr Apr 14, 2011

Joyce Tanner Apr 14, 2011

You are wonderful for not only disassociating yourself from them but for being completely honest-which they train you not to be! I hope that you have a job that you can be proud of now!!! They probably went in with the intention of firing the old people just to start fresh, you know.A lot of companies do that. But you were there.
    ...I doubt that you had time to read my complaint, but I went in with my arm in a cast just to look around, and the girl said she'd do the paperwork and just.."hold on to it" til I was better. HA!!! I never even went to the gym since I required a surgery and mos. and mos. of healing, yet they bilked me for about $200.00 !!!
    What a low life lying [censor] she was.I called and called, but they said-oh, well!! you signed the contract. It was under false pretenses! What can bee done about that?
    THANK YOU for your HONESTLY!!! So glad that they couldn't change you. :)

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessDo not appreciate their employees

This company claims they pay their employees well...maybe the DMs and Executives. They also claim they have the best customer service, which sometimes is true. It is important that the front desk employees be friendly and helpful. Again, in some gyms this is true. However, how do you expect to get good people when you only pay $7 an hour to the most important person in contact with a potential member or client for personal training? I understand that most of these people do not have college degrees, but if you are holding these people responsible for the very FIRST contact to a potential member or client, you really should consider increasing their pay. In many of the gyms around Tampa, I have been ignored and spoken down to when entering the gym. When I have called to speak with my trainer, I have been left on hold and have had to hang up, only to call back and be put on hold again. This is bad business, especially when you are priced as high as you are. I do say that the gym on Hillsborough has the best front desk people as well as entire staff. Hyde Park is the worst. I think you should take a step back and re-think what type of people you are hiring when you pay as low as you do. You pay $7 an hour, you get $7 an hour service.

• Ca
    cary61 Jul 26, 2009

Why do people take a job and agree to do that job for a certan amount. Then complian the money not enough. Don't take the job.

Lifestyle Family FitnessScam and fraud

I have been working out at Lifestyle Family Fitness in Pickerington for about 6 months now. I have recently noticed some changes for the better. Especially with the clubs management. The problem though is that they let some of the bad things that were happening there drive away some of there best employees (Andrew & Justin). I do not know why as a company they would not try harder to keep them on board. I did not sign up under Andrew, but I got to know him very well because he is very out going and always there to help the clients as well as make some small talk. Hopefully someone will realize this mistake and try and fix it.

• Na
    Naples8 Aug 08, 2011

Be very careful with this company. They assured me I could cancel after just a few months. What a huge scam!!! Be sure when you cancel that you not only call, but you check immediately for an e-mail from them and respond to it...then print it out and keep the confirmation that your membership is indeed canceled. They leave it in your hands to contact them if you do not receive an e-mail (which I never did). I sent them a letter, which they claim they did not receive. The only time I heard back from the corporate office is when my credit card called to dispute the charges. By the way...the number for their corporate headquarters in St. Petersburg Florida is 727-456-3100 Ext. 11. I asked countless times for this number from their customer service reps and they said there wasn't a number to contact and directed me to submit my concerns in writing. Lesson learned ...NEVER...join a gym that requires you to give your credit card. Pay by the month...check or cash!

Too bad for Lifestyle. I really liked the facility, instructors and classes. I will never return and will share my story.

Lifestyle Family FitnessDirty facility!

This is the most expensive gym I have ever been a member of in the state of Florida and the most filthiest gym I have ever had the displeasure of being a member of. When you complain they grin at you. The staff will not alert or get a manager for you, they just look at you like you have a nerve to complain. If you are a member wash your hands when you leave, who knows what you have come in contact with. The bathrooms are a disgrace, the tampon waste bags spill out on to the floor, the floors are rarely moped and the shower, well WEAR Flip Flops! They are the only place in my part of town to offer the equipment they do otherwise I would NOT be a member. The attitude of staff and especially corporate is you are nothing to us. When you go to cancel your membership it takes approximately 3 months. Two months are wasted with the 60 day rule and then they take one last month after the fact, which is in the contact, Deceptive!

They may tell you different but my daughter worked there for a few months and confirmed the lack of cleaning and how they are not exactly up front about the contract.

• My
    myrna oglesby Mar 13, 2008

Now try to cancel your membership. They jerk you around when you try to cancel.

• Hu
    humorous1 Feb 20, 2009

Well gee, why don't we READ the actual paper that you are signing BEFORE you sign it. Go ahead, it'll explain every bit of detail you're griping about. Good grief...the laziness in people these days.

Lifestyle Family FitnessClass action lawsuit!

This company has been working its staff much over the 40 hours and not compensating them. Included, but not limited to are--Regional V.P, DM, AM, Sr CSM, CSM, MIT, MOD, Mbsp Consultants, COM, Trainers... any employee who was considered exempt from overtime or has their hours adjusted by Mgmt to manage budget or sales draw. A possible nationwide certified collective lawsuit for unpaid overtime against LIFESTYLE FAMILY FITNESS pursuant to the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”) could be brought by current and former employees who worked for LIFESTYLE FAMILY FITNESS.We will also seek liquidated damages and attorneys’ fees and costs. Normally, the FLSA contains a limitations period of at least two years and potentially up to three years for the filing of a claim for unpaid overtime wages, after which the claim is forever barred.
Class counsel may be paid either by the Defendant (lff), or they may, either in addition to or instead of payment from Defendant, receive a percentage of any money judgment or settlement in favor of you, or others similarly situated, as agreed by contract and/or ordered by the Court.

FEDERAL LAW PROHIBITS LIFESTYLE FAMILY FITNESS OR ITS AGENTS FROM TAKING ANY ACTION AGAINST YOU BECAUSE YOU ELECT TO JOIN THIS ACTION.

Contact me if you are interested.

• Di
    Dist Mgr Jan 09, 2008

I have been there for several years, and found it's (LFF's) attitude towards its employees is that they are a burn and churn positions. I will absolutly be taking part in this class action. I am urging all other current and past employees to take part. A very large Law Firm has already agreed to take this case, with no cost to us, as plantiffs...

• Co
    Concerned Citizen Jan 21, 2008

I am a current LFF employee. How do I take action in this class action lawsuit?

• Ge
    Get a Job Mar 05, 2008

Just do your job... A burn and churn at a health center?? You bring in new clientele, you pick up after the members. How is that burn and churn. People need to take responsibility for their laziness. Everytime one of these lawsuits go to court... you don't get rich, the lawyers do and then the company suffers. Maybe the company did do wrong and they deserve to suffer. So don't work there. If they can't hire anyone then then they can't run a gym. The only people that suffer are the members because their dues will go up, the consumers of insurance because that is who will pay this lawsuit (not the company) and then anyone else who has to buy this insurance including me and you. So... Lawyers get all the money (and use you) and we the people pay for it!!!

Great Idea!

none Mar 18, 2008

Why and how do RSVP's get promoted... then demoted to runing only one district in this what could be awesome company? I mean... a guy who only cares about female employee's (unless they agree to stay with him for awhile) where do you find this in a FORT500?

Be carefull who you intrust to run 15 mult-million dollar facilities! Some mistakes aren't always forgettable.

By the way... Geoff should have never posed for the PCSO (DUI)

Lifestyle Family Fitness — Lawsuit in progess, they are stealing my money!!

First off if anyone is thinking about joining this gym, DO NOT DO IT!!!! My husband and I joined the gym in...

Resolved Lifestyle Family Fitness — Before You Work Here

Forgot to mention in my posting below, I left of my own free will. I was not fired. Getting fired seems to...

Resolved Lifestyle Family FitnessAvoid Working Here

Adding to the other people's work environment complaints, I too was an overworked, underpaid, unappreciated manager at Lifestyles. I had a chance to see the Ohio and Florida clubs and it's all the same. AVOID THEM! The negativity filters down to all levels. LFF professes to value employees but after a few months working with them, you will see right through it. So don't be duped! There were also several high profile harrassment cases in the company while I was there. Beware!

Also FOR LFF CUSTOMERS, watch out for the "4 week comfort guarantee". You HAVE to go a certain # of times and cancel at just the right moment to get your money back. This was a HIGE problem when I was there. A better bet is to go to another gym who will let you show proof of move to cancel or just do month to month.

• N
    n Nov 17, 2007

Honestly I cant disagree more you have to be an idiot to not understand the four week comfort guarantee and I do mean an idiot. If you give it a fair chance then you can opt out, if you buy a membership and never go, you will have to pay. Also the employees seem to be happy from what I can tell... maybe without out you there the negativity lessened a bit... Ive spent a lot of time at some of the NC clubs and I can tell you that whatever going on in ohio is not going on here. If you dont believe me go hang out in a peak for a bit

• Wi
    William Everett Apr 25, 2008

A horrible company to deal with at every level. Won't be long before they go out of business.

Lifestyle Family Fitness — Terrible work environment!

I was a trainer at Lifestyle Family fitness. After working there for three years, I found that the sale...

Lifestyle Family FitnessWatch out when canceling membership!

First we should say that Lifestyle in Venice FL has a wonderful facility! We have not seen another gym as well equipped in the world! BUT their policies on canceling are not so nice. We informed them 58 days - not their required 60 days - that we are moving out of the country - and their corporate office said "there is nothing we can do to back date it". Guess they need the money more than they need referrals. Unfortunately this leaves a sour taste in our mouth and we warn everyone - if/when you cancel watch out! Lifestyle is only looking out for themself!

• Je
    Jen May 23, 2007

By far THE most horrible experience I have ever had with a gym. The manager lures you to enroll with false promises that you can cancel within 30 days. But in my case, I signed up and saw the fine prints right away, I went back and tried to cancel the next day, which I was entitled to. Once again, the manager, his name was TOM said that it was fine and that he'd still cancel it if I wanted. I told him I couldn't afford it as of the moment but he told me how I shouldn't miss the promo. 30th day came, I had only went twice, he completely disregarded his promises and didn't give me my money back. It was about $200+. Even if you call corporate they will still tolerate the managers' actions.

• In
    Industry Veteran Oct 08, 2007

Some of these complaints against Lifestyle Family Fitness are truly outrageous!

* The cancellation policy is 60 days on a month-to-month agreement as opposed to most health clubs one and two-year contracts that you are locked into. You are complaining that the terms of the agreement which you signed and appear to understand should be altered to fit your needs since you only gave 58 days notice.

* The 4-week comfort guarantee clearly states that you must workout 12 times during that period to be eligible for a full refund yet you admitting that you only worked out twice.

* To the woman complaining about the group fitness room: When you enrolled as a member did you not notice the windows or the "fishbowl effect?" There is one easy solution if you are not happy simply cancel your membership as it is month-to-month and go somewhere else to whine.

• Je
    Jennifer Dec 10, 2007

I signed up for the 4-week comfort program and I did go to the gym 12 times within 30 days and they are still giving me a hassel about my refund. Apparently, when I signed up, my key card wasn't working so 4 out of the 12 times I went to the gym weren't recorded in the system. I explained this and they entered me into their "4-week comfort sign-in book" for those 4 times. When I brought this to the attention to the manager (Tom) he told me that they weren't supposed to do that. Well, you know what pal, that's not my fault or my problem!! I understand that some people lie and cheat and they don't know me personally at the gym so to them I could be lying. But I'm not - I actually went the 12 times and did what I was supposed to do and they still won't follow through with their promises. I am out almost $300 and I am not going to back down until I get all of it back.

• Gl
    Glenn Pone Sep 15, 2008

I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy while I was a member with Lifestyle Family Fitness. This was back in 2005. When I found out that I was unable to continue exercising I informed them I was cancelling my membership. This was in the month of March 2006. To this day and 9 letters later they are still taking out the 44 dollars and some odd change. I have the written proof of the leters but they say they never receive them and my account is still active. This company is a theif and shold be turned over to consumer division. I receive $770 dollars a month and $45.00 of this has been going to them for the past 26 month's. I finally turned them into my bank and thank God I have the written proof of my trying to cancel my membership. I have found out from others this is their game they play . It is time to stop this way of business.

Jon Hanson Aug 04, 2009

I seemed to have cancelled my Lifestyle membership with little problem. The contract says 60 days written notice. I called and they agreed to send me an email with instructions for me to respond to and receive a confirmation to save.

If I have any problems after one more deduction from my account ($36.11) I will let you know on this same board. But for now they seem to be doing what they say. A simple phone call won't do. I called the customer service number and was polite and they were polite to me. They have every right to make you take a written notice to the gym, that's what the contract says. I am mostly annoyed by my own apathy about the situation, not theirs.

I'll let you know in September if the billing has stopped I will be happy. I suspect most of the complaints are from not following procedure. I hope I am correct.

Jon Hanson, Pickerington, Ohio former Lifestyle Member.

silly song about gym memberships: http://gooddebt.com/anything.htm

• Da
    danloyola Jun 29, 2011

i have a Month-To Month agreement with Lifestyle Family Fitness and have called them to cancel because I moved out of town. every time I call they put me on hold or i get an aswering machine, leave a message. These people never returns my calls. When I finally get through, I'm told to send a cancel notification letter. i did this and they are still witdrawing from my account. This Club is a REAPOFF. I would encurage anyone to signg up Elsewhere. Next step is to file a complaint with the state's attorney.