ISTASketchy Billing Practices

C

I just got off the phone with an ISTA service representative because my utility bill has increased from ~$85 monthly to ~$120-160 monthly in the last six months. I wanted to know why my "Sewer Service (Cold)" charge is SO MUCH HIGHER than the other charges, which include "Water Service (Cold), " "Water Service (Hot), " and "Sewer Service (Hot)."

Come to find out, ISTA charges me for the water coming out of the faucet (water service hot and cold) and then CHARGES ME AGAIN when the water goes down the drain. She claimed that they needed to charge me for the water going down the drain because it needed to be "cleaned" before going back into the groundwater. Really? I can see needing to clean the poopie toilet water, but ALL the cold AND hot water going down the drain?

Summary of charges:
Cold water from the faucet: $14.60
Hot water from the faucet: $9.68
Cold water going down the drain: $65.78
Hot water going down the drain: $27.49

Our building apparently uses crappy water heaters because we have to run the faucet a LONG time before the water gets hot. And that's where the $65.78 charge comes in. I'm paying ISTA to process water that I'M NOT EVEN REALLY USING. Is my apartment management company partially to blame for using shoddy materials? Absolutely.
But I'm also laying some blame squarely on ISTA for double billing.

More ISTA Complaints & Reviews