HomeCenter.comWhat a horrible experience and I don't think this is over yet

I ordered a faucet July 7th, first told it was available, then that it would ship in two weeks, after 4 weeks I asked again and was given a "new" date two weeks out. I said CANCEL the order I could not wait that long both on the phone and in writing. I received an email response "Do not assume this order has been canceled" and "We will charge you a 25% restocking fee". My credit card refunded my payment but a month later (after I left the country) they shipped the item anyway. What a horrible experience and I don’t think this is over yet. What a hassle!

• Su
    Susie from Knoxville Mar 31, 2010

Do not buy from this company. After buying well over $10, 000 online while building a home, my experience with homecenter.com was the only bad experience. I made a purchase in Nov 09. Part was backordered. After much cyber correspondence, I cancelled the order via email exactly as they told me. In Jan 2017, I received the backordered part of my order that I cancelled. I called them, no answer, long hold on my nickel. They don't have an 800 number. (Gee, I wonder why!!) So I did much cyber correspondence again. Long story short, they said it was my fault, wanted me to pay return shipping AND a 25% restocking fee. After calling the manufacturer who sided with me, THEY picked up my order so I didn't have to pay shipping. The manufacturer agreed to waive the restocking fee. Well after about 30 more days, I got a little portion of my $$ refunded. No explanation, no itemization. They deducted the restocking fee anyway PLUS more. Now they won't return my emails. So I filed a dispute with my Credit Card company. (First time I've EVER had to do that) The Credit Card company refunded the amount in question and they are going after homecenter.com. Ridiculous company. I learned my lesson though--I will ALWAYS check reviews and complaints before I ever buy on internet. I hope this complaint will keep someone else from having to deal with this very bad company.

• Sh
    Shvorre Feb 08, 2010

We placed an order with Homecenter.com -supposedly the item was in stock. Almost two weeks later we emailed on a Thursday morning to check status...we did not receive a response. After several unanswered calls and over one hour on hold on Friday evening we still had no response to either phone or email. So, we decided to cancel the order and place it elsewhere. Only when you cancel an order do you get a response..He still didn't know the status but did know that he would charge 25% restocking fee plus shipping both ways plus cancellation fee. Shop elsewhere!

Maler Jan 13, 2010

I sent e mails to George, Anita, Christina, and Brian on the following dates: 03/31/2017, 04/10/2017, 04/18/2017, 5/12/08, 06/05/2017, 7/2/08, 07/14/2017, 8/12/08. George promised me a complete refund back in January of 2017 when I placed my big order. For three months, I was unable to return their defective merchandise because they would not give me a return voucher. Finally, the three defective plumbing fixtures were returned to the company by UPS about 04/13/08. After calling them several times, in August, 2017, I received a refund credit of $982.21 minus a 15% ($157) restocking fee that they had no right to charge me because they sold me defective merchandise. They kept my $982.21 for over six months. I was never able to get the remaining 15% of the money the company owed me.

• Fl
    flei Jan 07, 2010

WORST COMPANY EVER!! I HAVE SHOPPED ONLINE FOR YEARS FOR EVERYTHING IMAGINABLE AND HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTERED THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD WITH THIS COMPANY!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!! READ THE COMPLAINTS ONLINE!! THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MONEY AND COULD CARE LESS IF YOU COMPLAIN. I HAVE FILED FORMAL COMPLAINTS WITH THE FCC AND BBB.

• Bl
    bluebludgeon Aug 10, 2009

I ordered an expensive from Homecenter.com on a Saturday. I was told that the sink was in stock. The following Monday, i called to find out when the sink would ship and was told that the sink was not in stock. I immediately cancelled my order, but they charged me a restocking fee. Yes, a restocking fee for an item that wasn't in stock. Rediculous. i complained and was told that I'd have to take the matter up with the owner, who, of course, doesn't answer his phone, doesn't return phone calls nor reply to e-mails.

• Aa
    AaronJF Jun 23, 2009

HomeCenter.com sent me a completely different product than what was ordered. Not only is it different in appearance, but it is completely different in features. I ordered a Alsons 650 shower head from HomeCenter.com which is listed as a 651CBU on HomeCenter.com. The shower head I received is an Alsons 653 (although the tag on it says 651CBU) listed as a 653CBU on HomeCenter.com. I followed the companies returns procedure and submitted a request for return and listed that I received the wrong product and still wanted the correct product. After waiting several days I emailed a request for an update. The following business day I received a call from a representative. The representative asked me a few questions then cut me off and told me that they would not honor taking the item back unless I paid a 25% restocking fee. From that point on the representative became hostile and would not let me speak. She stated repeatedly that their products all state "Image shown may differ from actual product appearance, especially finish and color." I reiterated to her that the product wasn't just a little different, but was in fact a completely different product. Finally I just hung up the phone as it became apparent she was unwilling to actually make their mistake right. I was sent a product other than what was ordered. I no longer want the correct item from them. I just want to return the product and never do business with them again. I feel their business practices are deceptive at best.

Honestly I started to feel that they were deceptive when the site offered free shipping, but the at the last minute in the checkout process charged me $8.95 "handling fee" which comes to just slightly more than what the cost of shipping would be.

• Valerie Nov 04, 2008

I sent e�mails to George, Anita, Christina, and Brian on the following dates: 03/31/2017, 04/10/2017, 04/18/2017, 5/12/08, 06/05/2017, 7/2/08, 07/14/2017, 8/12/08. George promised me a complete refund back in January of 2017 when I placed my big order. For three months, I was unable to return their defective merchandise because they would not give me a return voucher. Finally, the three defective plumbing fixtures were returned to the company by UPS about 04/13/08. After calling them several times, in August, 2017, I received a refund credit of $982.21 minus a 15% ($157) restocking fee that they had no right to charge me because they sold me defective merchandise. They kept my $982.21 for over six months. I was never able to get the remaining 15% of the money the company owed me.

• Bl
    bluebludgeon Oct 03, 2008

I ordered an expensive sink from on a Saturday. I was told that the sink was in stock. The following Monday, I called to find out when the sink would ship and was told the sink was not in stock. I immediately cancelled my order, but they charged me a restocking fee. Yes, a restocking fee for an item that wasn't in stock. Rediculous. I complained and was told that I'd have to take my issue up with the owner, who of course doesn't answer his phone, doesn't return phone calls nor reply to e-mails.

• Dm
    DM Sep 30, 2008

WARNING - DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING FROM HOMECENTER.COM!!!
    If you do, you will be very, very sorry.
    I am posting my warnings on every consumer website that I can find.

My story: ordered water filters AP110 - in picture show 2 in package. Get order quickly, but not what I ordered. Took a week to get return RGA number. I was told that I had to reorder the item or the return would be charged 20% restocking fee.
    REMEMBER THIS WAS THEIR MISTAKE - THEY SENT ME THE WRONG ITEM!!!
    But I had to order again. So, OK, I ordered a second time at $100 again. Their picture of the item is 2 in a package. So I ordered 8 packages - 16 filters.
    I get my order 2 days later, they sent me 8 not 16 filters. I call them again.
    (By the way, you will be on hold for at least 30 minutes each time you call, and forget about email - they do not respond).
    I finally get someone to answer the phone. The guy says, the description says 1 filter not 2. I tell him look at the picture above your description. He doesn't want to hear it.

BUT HERE'S THE BEST PART : the next day, I look on their website and guess what - they have changed the picture to show 1 filter and not the 2 pack!!!

I give up with HOMECENTER.COM. So far, I am out $200 because still no refund from the order that was their mistake. I have learned my lesson: to always check the consumer websites before ordering anything!

STAY AWAY - HOMECENTER.COM WILL CHEAT YOU !!!

• Br
    Brendan Harrington Jul 22, 2008

This company is amazing. The cheery comments on "customer care" are cute while waiting to place your order via the phone. They turn to annoying as you wait forever on hold trying to cancel your order. Then you find out they can only take orders on the phone. Cancellations must be done online or via email. But, wait, it gets better. Homecenter.com forgot to place our order for a sink, and now our kitchen remodel is on hold until we run out locally and find one we like. The granite guys loved that. So, Brian, the CEO of homecenter.com sent me an email back after I requested to cancel an order they forgot to fulfill: "It does appear that Linea never received our fax. Your order CAN be cancelled with the 4% cancellation fee...I'm sorry for this mistake." Then, when I asked our credit card to dispute the charge, Brian threatened me with a 15% dispute fee. These guys are amazing, and I strongly recommend that you avoid them at all cost.

• Da
    David Sheehan Apr 24, 2008

Ordered on the item on 12/19/07, on 12/19/07 Amazon sent an email saying the item has shipped (meaning to them that Home center had the order and my card had been charged) I got a confirmation email from home center that the item shipped on 1/4/08, the item arrived 1/9/08. The shipping company they chose would not leave the item unless I signed that it arrived OK. When I opened the carton it was broken. Their shipper deigned the claim. From 1/10/08 to 2/12/08 we traded emails to get a refund, mostly no response or lies. On 2/12/08 I sent Amazon a claim and by 2/23/08 Amazon issued a refund (Thank You Amazon). I have spent from 2/23/08 until 4/23/08 trying to get them to take the item back and or let me dispose of it.
    DO NOT buy from this company.

• Da
    Dave Apr 08, 2008

Returned item but was never reimbursed. Worse experience ever. We ordered a kitchen sink at a very good price and it was delivered fine. Our renovation plans changed, however, so we decided to eat the crazy restocking fee and return the sink. After the painful ordeal of getting an RMA #, we followed the return procedure exactly. They never gave us ANY money back! Even after we managed to get through to the terrible customer service, nothing. I should have just sold it on eBay because now I have nothing and am out over a hundred dollars.