Home Finance of AmericaPoor service!

I was going to go ahead with a mortgage with Home Finance of America until I found out the night of closing I needed to bring 2,000 to the table. When I called my loan officer Joe I asked him what this was all about he said he made a mistake on the good faith estimate. As luck would have it he made the same exact mistake on my brother's good faith estimate. Sounds to me like a business practice, not a mistake. So now I payed $300 for an appraisal that is of no use to me and $75 application fee that they are not refunding to me.

Beware!

Joe Hallinan Jun 05, 2007

I was Darren Barra's loan officer Joe. Mr. Barra wrote this comment on this board before we resolved his situation. Mr. Barra was not misquoted on a fee from our company. The mortgage tax from the state of New York was higher than expected. Mr. Barra was refunded his application fee of $75 and also the $300 for the appraisal that was done on his home. The statement about his brother is also false. I was his loan officer as well. His loan closed and he was very satisfied with my services. Mr. Darren Barra was a repeat customer to our company Home Finance of America. He obviously liked us to do business again. His own brother closed a loan and had no complaints with us. My business practices are where they should be. I take care of my clients in every way. Thank you.

• Ag
    A. Gensburger Aug 06, 2007

I had a great experience with HFA. During a time when virtually every broker was giving me "stretched" information that served their interests only, HFA was to the point, sent a written list of the costs and -with little chit-chat - got the loan processed at an interest rate that no one else could get me (and the competition even told me that I was getting ripped off - they were wrong).

HFA carries your loan until they can place it elsewhere - in our case, a very short period of time. All other aspects of it remain the same. I'd recommend HFA. Just ask a lot of questions and do your homework.

JIM Nov 05, 2007

I agree. Its not business practices that are unfair. Its the fact that the hours and pay are horrible so they cannot get people to work there. So in order to get as many people working there and as fast as possible they have a terrible training program from an idiot boss. Then these workers are thrown onto the floor and are basically clueless. I would never get a home loan from this company after watching their practices. BEWARE!

JIM Nov 28, 2007

Joe, just admit working for home finance really blows and what they do is unethical business practices.

• Ir
    Irate Dec 05, 2007

Home finance of america is a joke! The company has employees who see your information to other companies for money. They have destroyed many families lives by scamming them out of there money and not returning it after being caught. Do not trust this place, people without licenses in certain states are signing contracts.that practice is is completely fraud. Please do not chance your life with this fraud poorly ran trash company. You will be sorry!

JIM Dec 05, 2007

I agree after working for Home Finance I have seen the damage first hand and how it has ruined people's lives. Especially after witnessing that scandal of an employee selling customer information to other companies. The information they provide their employees is not updated and does not provide an adequate estimate of costs. In fact it's not even close and the information needed is never enough and customers are backed into corners and eventually are just screwed. The management of this place sucks especially that Fran Kelly. He is an idiot and will do anything to get money for the company. It seems the company makes money off of the application and other upfront fees and then the customer is in trouble when their rate lock-in expires or they cant have a provider before settlement. Do not even waste your time even looking at this company first hand I know that there is nothing good here!

• Me
    melbourne Jan 19, 2008

I was looking into them.....seen enough here to change my mind....thanks guys!

• Fr
    fred Jan 21, 2008

I tried this company once and they left my family in the streets. They take a bunch of upfront fees and they dont care what happens to you next. Speaking to company management is like speaking to a wall. when it came timeto move into my house nothing was done for me and my family had to live in a car for 3 days. They went through the whole process with me and at the end told me that my rate expired after i told them i needed 37 days and they gave me the ok. please stay away from this company. They have ruined my familys life.

• Tw
    Tweetypie Mar 01, 2008

I used this company 2 years ago after my Mom died to buy her house and give my brother l/2 of the morgtage. I too was told I needed money at the closing and now after really thinking about it they took me for alot of additional money I should not have had to pay. I referred my brother to them, and when he called to refi when interest rates came down 3 weeks after he closed they told him another several thousand dollars. They too are all about how much they can make and not about how they can help you keep your payment low. HOPEFULLY do your homework and realize that when you borrow money, you shouldn't be paying thousands more on that mortgage to give to them for their fees.

• Bo
    Bob Mar 06, 2008

I worked for Home Finance of America for five years and I can attest that they are the most reputable and honorable mortgage company that I have worked for. I was in the mortgage business for 17 years prior to working for them. They give each and every customer the lowest rate anywhere and they always return the application fee if a loan is denied unlike every other company I worked for. I worked with some of the people who posted negative comments above and I know that they were fired because their customer service did not meet the standards of this fine company. Disgruntled ex employess, no doubt. Use them for great service and the lowest rates.

Jim Mar 12, 2008

There was no Bob employed by this company for 5 years with 17 years of experience. Pathetic attempt to salvage the reputation of this company.

JIM Mar 25, 2008

There was definitely no Bob that worked at this company for 5 years. I would definitely know. This company is terrible because of how they train their employees. They have a difficult time keeping people and hiring new ones because of the environment and they lack of money offered. The training process is quick and simple and gives the employee no time to comprehend the practice. I would advise not to got with a company that has inept people dealing with something as important as a home loan. Also, they claim to have the lowest rates but you are actually paying higher fees. So, no home finance of america is not the lowest lender and most of what they do are illegal.

JIM Mar 25, 2008

As per that last comment about disgruntled employees who were fired, nobody was fired from that place. I only saw one person fired there my time there. They can not afford to fire people because they are so understaffed. This place is like somebody's basement. I can't say it enough just stay away before you end up being one of the many victims of this companie's practices.

• To
    Tom Mar 26, 2008

It should also be noted that the owner of this company does also own a couple of businesses in the real estate field such as an appraising company. So when you keep hearing people say that they were stuck paying an apprasing fee but didnt get their loan...well you get the picture.

• Sh
    shaun Apr 12, 2008

Do any one knows of a lender that's pretty decent in 2008. I have several properties that I have paid cash for and I would like to refinance them for 1/2 of the apprasial. Not looking to pull all of the equity out, but need my capital to continue to buy properties. Any infomation would be gladly appreciated.

Mike Apr 15, 2008

Just don't go with Home Finance of America... unless you are in the market of having your life destroyed by incompetence.

• Ke
    kemi Apr 28, 2008

I do agree with all the above complaints.I went through hell with my refinancing with HFA.Will never recommend them to any one but mine enemies.They came up with reasons for not closing couple days before my closing date and took forever to refund my application fees.As a matter of fact i had to file a credit dispute with my credit card company in other for my application fees to be returned.They also made me pay $500 towards appraisal knowing fully well they would not close my loan.Lost considerable time.To avoid headaches please stay away from this company.More so getting to report to management often fell to deaf ears.Looks like this bank is not legal.I wonder why they are still in operation.

Mike May 12, 2008

Kemi, there is alot of incompetence and deceit at this company. I'm sorry you went through that and just hope more people learn and not make the same mistakes we have.

• Cj
    cj May 14, 2008

I just closed (refi) 4/30/08 with HFA. My agent was Jaqui Green. I live in CA. and the only propblem I had was with the time difference. My good faith estimate was to the T on what I signed at closing (% rate, estimated date of closing, and all fee's). Sorry to hear of those that had problems with this company. I was getting totally ripped off by a Lending Tree referral (forfeited $400. appraisal fee) untill I happen to call HFA and spoke with Jaqui. I was thrilled with her knowledge with the real estate business, her honesty, and integrity. Maybe it's different with who you deal with???

Mike May 20, 2008

Has anyone noticed that immediately after I or just about anybody else writes a negative comment about the company a positive one comes up. Folks, I used to work here and I know that they do look up on these site and put in false statements. I know from the inside that home finance is a despicable company and should be put out of business. The upper management is utterly incompetent and the company does not even institute a structured training program and place new employees on their floor unprepared. Money is made off of application fees and other upfront fees that are NON-REFUNDABLE. My experience was that so many loan applications would build up to the point where all control was lost and was told to just "toss" the ones that wouldn't not generate a high enough profit. What would happen then is that family would have their rate lock-in expire and most times would give up on home finance or unfortunately would not be able to close on their house. You can only imagine that anguish that would cause. I also saw another employee sell personal information to an outside source. When the ### finally hit the fan management intervened but it was the worst kept secret for the longest time their. I would suggest if you have a major issue to go straight to goverment agency or threated legal action. Management folds very fast once those things are mentioned. Complaining straight to management will fall on deaf ears. We were specifically instructed that if we received any phone calls from customers for management that we could only put them into voice mail and not surprisingly calls were never returned. Go straight to higher authorities if you have truly been scorned by this company. I cannot say it enough people Home Finance is a TERRIBLE COMPANY. Please do yourself a favor and spare the aggravation and AVOID. Also, for the many people who have been screwed by home finance please let your stories be known. It would only be fair to the other people here and a great way to get back at this company for all the wrong they have caused.

• Ki
    Killthecomplr May 21, 2008

Why do you contiune to go down this path? If this company is
    trully what some say then send the info to the FBI and they will
    prosecute. I have recently sent my info for a home mortgage and am worried about my personal info now. Any suggestions I'm pretty sure I will pull out with the upfront loss of fees or not. If I do get screwed I will trackem down and...

Jill May 28, 2008

Mike,
    It appears you have a lot of time on your hands. Don't you have anything else to do?

Mike Jun 03, 2008

Jill,

Let me guess you work for the company and trying to make me look stupid. Nice try but you would have to be the stupid one who works for and defends that place.

As for Killthe###r...I dont even know how to respond to that one.

• La
    Larry Littlejohn Jun 06, 2008

It appears that this company must make its income by charging application fees of $295. I applied on line, paid the fee, then became wary when I read some of the complaints against them. I was told on a Friday that a hard copy was being sent by second day Fedex. This is the following Friday and I still have not seen it. I emailed them to refund my application fee. Good luck. If they cannot timely mail an application, how timely would they be at closing?

Mike Jun 13, 2008

Hey Jill if you look on the other page of complaints youll see that people are reading these comments and deciding against Home Finance. So do you have any response to that??

Its only a matter of time before more people start seeing these and learn what a deceitful company this and how badly they have screwed over the majority of their customers with incompetence and poor ethics.

KILLTHE###R...I wonder about you and if that was a thinly veiled threat to me. If you have an association with this company its no wonder with the incoherent gibberish you posted on her.

• Am
    Amanda Jun 16, 2008

Home Finance of America was a terrible experience. My loan officer Joe was a complete mess from the beginning. My husband asked for a good faith estimate and was getting constant run around and told they were "too busy." We continued to pursue the loan but everytime Joe was unavailable and when we did get a hold of him he always seemed distracted. I tried to complained to upper management but as Mike pointed out that went nowhere. I tried to contact a manager named Fran and he never responded to me. I would never reccomend Home Finance...not even to my worst enemy!

• Fa
    Fay Jun 18, 2008

I am agree with all the complaints about this company.
    They are bunch of inexperienced and careless employees that wasting time and money of the people.
    They just attract people with their low rate, and if they found out that they can not make money from that customer, simply they deny the loan by making excuses .
    This happened to me, they offered me a rate of 5.625% for a investment property and later when they found out that they have quoted me with a loan that has low rate they started to make excuses to deny the loan.
    First they said my income is not enough although before to start the process of the loan I was told that my income is Ok.
    When I told them I will add a co borrower to be qualify, I was told that there are some collections on the co borrower's credit and when I agreed to pay for the collections, they were not able to tell me how much are the collections.
    Then I asked them to reduce the amount of the loan in order to qualify my income . At this point they could not make any other excused I was approved
    So I order for appraisal.
    I did not hear anything from them until 2 weeks after the appraisal done and when I contacted them, I was told that the house has enough value for the requested loan but still we can not approve your loan because we do not have enough comps for the house.
    Any ways there was another excuse to not process the loan.
    Definitely the appraiser was another unexperianced person that did not know how to do appraisal. I was able to find the comps how this guy could not do that.
    Since then I have not heard anything from Home Finance of America that officially explain the reason for the rejection of the loan. This is another problem with them. No communications with customers.
    They are in unethical Business, and we should send our complaints to the federal and states organizations for review on our cases.
    We should not let these Businesses waste our times, opportunities and our money .
    I have lost goods opportunities for lowring the interest rate on my loan that costs me probably more that $100K over the life of the loan. But I do not leave them alon until they pay for what they do to the pepole. Thanks

Mike Jun 26, 2008

Fay and Amanda I'm sorry about your situations. However, we do need to make sure Home Finance America suffers the consequences of their wrong doings. Lets keep up the fight and if you have any other issue please feel free to contact me through posts. Also as I said before turn your complaints to law enforcement and government agencies.

• Ra
    Raoul Watson Jul 03, 2008

Just a short note to commend all of your staff for such a great job. I applied for a mortgage at a bank and what a nightmare that was. We waited, and waited for three months. In the mean time, I called your company and was helped by a mortgage consultant Ms. Jacque Green. She stayed on the phone for a long time and did my application on the phone. After that, she stayed in contact for days and days following up as we submit and gather the documentation required. Ms Green, your Underwriters, and other staff worked so dilligently (and FAST) that we were able to get our dream place in record time. All I can say is that you guys are AWESOME! And yes, you can use this as a testimonial.
    Raoul Watson, New York

• Br
    Brenda Jul 07, 2008

I was looking into this company to purchase a home as well. Their site offers low rate and no closing fees. I am glad I found these posts as I know to avoid them now.

• Ka
    Kami Anderson Jul 07, 2008

I also had a loan done through Home Finance of America with the help of Joe. However, I had an extremely good experience. When I bought my home, I called several different loan officers to get quotes. Joe quoted me a rate taht was 1.5 points lower than average with extremely low closing costs. It sounded to good to be true. Another loan officer, upon hearing the rate I was quoted from Joe, told me that I better make sure this wasn't some con-artist or mistake. This had me worried. I kept thinking it was too good to be true and that some unknown fee was going to show up, however, it never did. Everything worked out perfectly! Any person I know wanting or looking at buying a house, I would give Joe name too! He was honest, hard working, and gave an absolutely amazing deal. They didn't take on ridiculous closing costs like most places and had the best interest rate. Anyone thinking about getting a loan through Joe or Home Finance of America, don't be scared by a few complaints. Trust me, they are the best out there!

Mike Jul 08, 2008

Here we go again. More company salvage efforts. Look how convincing RAOUL WATSON from New York was. Oh he thought it was a con-artist or something. Could this be anymore blatant about how they are trying to fight the complaints. Plus lets be honest there are still more complaints and people avoiding the place then positive comments here. Shouldn't a company strive for a 100% positive experience. Not 50/50 or in this case less.

Ive said before that this company has some shady dealings and seen first hand that people have suffered due to the incompetence of this company. I still see that people are learning and realizing my comments and the other negative comments are much more believable then what management posts on here. Did you notice that JOE posted a rebuttal to a negative comment on the first page. I'm sure he was instructed to do that which proves the management looks at this page. Isn't it also ironic that Joe has the latest positive comment. Come on do they have to be that clueless when putting these false statements up here!

• La
    Larry Littlejohn Jul 11, 2008

Hello, again. It is now July 11 and I am still waiting for my "application refund." I have had several emails from the lender saying that "she will check with accounting." My initial request for a refund was on June 12.

• Ro
    Ron Jul 25, 2008

Trust me, As a person that got screwed by a mortgage lender (not HFC...but BOA) I just wanted to point out something...

I did a search for complaints for as many major banks as I could think of... and you know what... all had complaint boards like this one... most had allot more than 2 pages of complaints.

So I thought... if this is a court of law... would'nt both sides make a their case and a 3rd party (Judge) make a decision as to who is at fault? Because if there is not a 3rd party to hear both sides of the story would'nt that be just a smear?

I then thought...where can I go? Who would provide a non bias review of a customer's complaint?

Well.. turns out that if you go to the Better Business Bureau www.bbb.org you can actually look at complaints from customers that were researched by the better business bureau! The BBB actually looks at all the evidense from both sides and provides a full review of who was at fault... The BBB has been around for a long time...

Frankly, I am sure this bank as well as others had screwed up on some loans... When a bank closes several thousand loans a year it is hard to believe that all of them went 100% perfectly...

So as I am sure some of the complaints are factual... how would we know which ones were just people venting because of something that was out of the bank's control? Thats where a 3rd party comes in...

• Ga
    gameboy Nov 29, 2008

Mike & all borrowers,

You sound like a real loser. Iv'e seen the likes of you before. Sounds like you worked for HFA, and sucked as an LO. I'm guessing that you have played musical chairs with many mortgage companies, and put up dismal numbers at all of them. You are nothing but a disgruntaled former employee who needs to get a life. I'm familar with HFA, as well as a great number of other mortgage bankers. HFA is just as good, or better then the bulk of them. For you borrowers out there considering HFA, don't listen to Mike the loser.

Mike Dec 09, 2008

Its pathetic to watch co many people from this company come on here and discredit me. You would think a complete coward like "gameboy" (cool name) would at least come up with a better background story. He just so loves the company that much that even though he doesn't have any emotional attachment to it hes going to defend it.

I can tell you first hand that this company goes on sites like this and puts positive things on her and then tries to discredit negative reviews. Did you notice that the first page of this thread has a comment written by Joe. So that would first prove that they are aware of this site. Now check this out from epinions.com

Theres Joe again getting generic high praise. Thats pathetic. This whole company is pathetic and "gameboy" you are a total coward. I know you must be an employee there but you dont have it in you to put your full name. Shameless piece of garbage you are. You probably are Joe or some other tool who works there or some maybe the owner or sales manager.

You can call me a disgruntled employee if yes I can say that I was disrguntled by the business practices of this company. Just generating quick income by charging application fees and appraisal when this company also owns appraising companies. That reminds me that if you feel you are getting screwed out of money just threated to take it to the Better Business Bureau, they will fold really fast.

Also not forget that this company had employees giving out personal customer information for money to outside sources. Thats something that is real comforting. Also how about all those loans this company was spitting out to everybody to get profit when housing prices were so high. Now a good amount of these people are out on the streets families ar left in the cold because of greed. The Good Faith Estimates are also outdated and do not give an accurate picture of the final costs I had at least 4 people who on the day of closing found out they owed more then $2, 000 in order to get their house. Not shockingly they lost their home.

If you mean disgruntled and disguted by those practices then you are so right. Call me what you will but I know whats right to do to people and Home Finance's practices are wrong. Plus I have a new job with a very reputable company making more money so I guess I turned out alright since I supposedly couldn't "hack it" as a loan office.

Gameboy, you are gutless turd. Youre obviously comebody associated with the company trying to refute these obvious flaws. Good luck because I'm not the only one who is aware of this and only more people will be screwed over.

Chuck McIntbush Dec 15, 2008

Just closed on a 30 year loan for the purchase of a home. The gentleman who handled my loan did a supurb job. I was locked at 6 %, they floated my rate down to 5.25% 4 days before closing. Settlement went fine, no surprises. I would use them again in a heartbeat, and have referred some of my co-workers to Home Finance.

• Sh
    Shane Jan 24, 2009

All I have to say is I do not know if I should have seen this page before or after I closed. Had I seen it before I closed I may not have used them. Now it is done I am happy I used them. They gave me the best deal I could find and they closed the loan in 23 days from when I first called them to signing.

The thing that impressed me the most was that Chris would return my emails to him within 30 minutes almost every single time. I have never had someone I had doing a service for me so responsive.

They got me a $200, 000 loan at 5.25% and no closing costs outside of what I had to pay the lawyers in GA. Would I use them again? Yes. Could my experiance next time be worse? Yes. Could it better? Yes.

I feel that the economy right now is down and those with money and good credit are pursued more, so that my have played into my experiance.

Everyone has different experiances. And this is my 8th mortgage loan I have done and it was one of the best. Only 1 other was better I had with bank of america.

Do I believe Mike has an axe to grind, yes. Or he would not be so impassioned about them. Most people just move on. And I felt I had such a good experiance I could not at least say something about what happened to me. So people out there know that you can have a good experiance with this company.

Mike Feb 19, 2009

Well thank you Shane and and Chuck for once again very predictable praise of Home Finance of America.

You know I really wonder why all this praise comes up on this thread and not on the other negative ones toward this company. I have the feeling it is because I have struck a nerve with company but hey it's the truth.

My favorite is too see how many people reference me when they do this. Why do strangers feel this need to refute my comments? Its because they are not random customers they are employed by Home Finance. When I worked there I actually remember discussions from management about websites like this and what to do. Epinions also has negative comments about the company and a "former employee" goes on there defending them.

They know what they are doing people and they are very sneaky about it. You can go back and read my previous post and see all whats wrong about the company most people have heard it before and made the right decision.

For people in the middle of disputes with the company always remeber to threaten to go to the Better Business Burea and watch them fold so fast.

As for prospective customers...STAY AWAY!!

• Br
    Brandon Feb 26, 2009

I also was excited to see the rates. H A HA good luck . With a perfect credit score these people still found a way to deny my loan. After of course the non refundable fees.. RUN FROM FRAN. I was denied my loan because a comp couldn't be found within 10 -15 miles. I live in Rockwell N.C where the closest store is 15 miles. Come on people if your out to screw people open a whore house.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices