Hollywood ProfilesCharging for things they said they wouldn't

S

I found this particular company on careerbuilder.com and it was asking for extras. I called the number and they needed my information for a shipping fee . Not only did they charge me that fee, but double that for a "non-refundable" charge that was never even mentioned.

On top of that, they said I was signed up for something that was a free introductory period and I could cancel within 14 days and I wouldn't be charged. Needless to say, I was charged $40 dollars two weeks after I called even after I had canceled!

They also tried telling me I was going to be charged another $98 dollars for some website registration even though they gave me the user name and password for it, never mentioning this one time fee. This is a huge scam; don't fall victim to it!

inverted1 Apr 09, 2010

I have to add myself as a sucker as well...i had nothing but trouble trying to reach anyone via email or phone and never got anywhere...it always was a machine runaround...i am so glad i saw this about a scam...it has been hard to stop payment as well cause it has been nothing but a waste of my time and money...

Joodalee Apr 05, 2010

I, too, have been charged the first monthly fee of 59.95 for NOTHING! When will I learn?
    When I called to cancel membership I was told they would take that charge off of my debit card, but what they only cancelled was my membership. When I called today, Monday April 5th, I was told that I hadn't cancelled within the 7 DAY trial period. Usually you get the first month to try the service. When I told them I would get my lawyer involved, this girl? said, "If you can afford to sue us, you ought to be able to pay this small amount". What a way to treat a customer!! I'm not sure what to do next. I have a family member who could handle it - a lawyer, but it would probably take months before we'd get results.

• Di
    di150 Jul 01, 2009

They got away with charging me for 4 months because I failed to check my bank statements. I did not remember seeing anything about a $50 a month charge if you did not cancel something. I called and was treated very rudely by a rep named Izzy who would not let me speak to his counselor. Is there a way to get some of this money back? I desperately need money that's why I signed up in the first place - as a background person. sdm

• Si
    SionaTheCat May 17, 2009

Yeah, these crooks got my CC info even though I didn't give it to them!! THEN, when I had my bank check on 3 unauthorized transactions, totally over $100, it came back as NON-fraud! HOW??!!??!! When I didn't give these people my information, yet they USED it anyway, HOW IS IT NOT fraud????????????

I'm so miffed right now...It makes me sick...

• Do
    Dozer May 14, 2009

I completely agree!! Hollywood Profile is a major scam and should be put out of buisness. I never signed up for anything authorizing them to help themselves to my account for $49.95 a month, and they don't even have the decency to work with you they just take your hard earned money and run... Don't sign up for anything through them and definately don't give out any account information, but if you have cancel your card it seems to be the only way to stop them!!

ing73839d4 May 07, 2009

It is terrible that so many companies ask for your credit card for even so little as $1.95 and then do not reply or you receive nothing and the company disappears

ing73839d4 May 07, 2009

Paid the money to Hollywood Profiles, received confirmation with order date, time and user name. Hasve had no further contact from the company and they will not answer or confirm e mails. This is a scam as far as I am concerned and I wish to have the money refunded and the company reported

chrishottease Apr 24, 2009

I got this email through as spam today and thought I'd help you guys out, if you really want to know who the person behind the site is then run a whois on the domain name, the following details HAVE to be a registered address, the following details are someone who setup the website (and therefore is either the person responsible or knows them):

Scottsdale, Arizona 85260

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: HOLLYWOODPROFILES.COM

Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    [protected] Fax -- [protected]

• Ca
    Carl Masterson Apr 10, 2009

I don't understand what everyone is complaining about. I just got finished with an on-screen job here in my native Wisconsin. For three weeks I spent face time with no other than Johnny Depp on the set of his new movie, it was an enlightening experience. Needless to say, Hollywood Profiles is the reason I can now die a happy man.

If you believed anything that I just wrote, you definately deserved to lose your money--consider it a wake up call to your own ignorance. Chao.

• Te
    terry ross Mar 29, 2009

i got an email from this company, all i did was look at the website next thing i know 49.95 was charged to my credit card with me putting any info on the web site.

• Ic
    icalg Mar 01, 2009

If you have been ripped off by any of thes companies or any other company, people contact me at [protected]. We are the Consumer Advocate Legal Group .

We will file an action on your behalf to have your money refunded. You can also email us at [email protected] to file a claim aganist any company for us to start processing within 24 hours of receipt.

We have be helping consumers for over 10 years that have been deceived out of funds via fraud. If you are sending us a email, please leave detail name and contact infomation.

• Va
    vanessa Feb 19, 2009

wow i just looked at my credit card statements its on there 7 times for 49.95 thats like 300.00 i had no idea about .. ###ing ###s

• Ac
    Actor1979 Nov 16, 2008

This is why I only use casting sites that accept PayPal payments. This way, all payments are monitored, and nobody gets your Credit Card #, except PayPal. Anytime you hand some company your CC#, there are risks of someone within the company stealing it. Regardless of how legit the company is. It may even just be that their server was hacked in to. Also, anytime a casting site is promising fame, turn away. Try and find a site that simply offers casting notices without the fake promises, or high costs.

• Valerie Nov 15, 2008

Hollywood profiles is a fake casting company who lures people to their site with false information. They ask for your credit card to charge a trial fee of $1.95. But then they start charging your card $49.95 (which shows up under hollywdtal on your card statement) without your permission whether or not you are using their site. They are lying and cheating people out of their money and then try to refuse a refund. This company needs to be stopped. If you have been cheated please report them. Together we can help prevent this from happening to other unsuspecting victims. So please, help us stop them.

• Go
    goffolu Nov 11, 2008

No offense, but how can you people be SOOOOOOOO INCREDIBLY NAIVE????????????? There's sucker born every millisecond apparently.

Jo Oct 31, 2008

I have just filed a complaint with the FTC, it was very simple and quick to do, everyone should do it now. That company is outrageous!

• Ry
    Ryan Adam Kessman Oct 29, 2008

WOW I have been on Hollywood Profiles and never experianced anything like that. I have gotten several paying jobs. I'm even shooting a film called The American Dream Nov. 29. And I just finished 1881 Zombies. This is very wierd and disturbing to see this happening. I belong to 4 different sites Explore Talent, OMEL, TalentJug, and Hollywood Profiles. If I were to just keep one of them It would be Hollywood Profiles hands down. They are not paying me to say this stuff, you can check the other sites I mentioned and see that I do have profiles with them and also IMDb. You can e-mail me to ask me any questions you like. I'm very sorry you have had problems with Hollywood Profiles but I need to inform you just like the others did. I think they are just great.
    Ryan Adam Kessman

• Si
    sid Oct 18, 2008

I just tried to make some easy money, but I guess it was the other way around. I paid for the one time fee of 1.95 they gave me a user name to another link for auditions, they also said I would get a confirmation sent to my e mail, it never came, like the job. big scam!

cheryl Oct 08, 2008

like all the others, i signed up for $1.95 and now i'm getting $49.95 charged to my credit card every month. i'm going to try to go after them; everyone else should, too, they shouldn't still be in business.

john jacob rutger Sep 12, 2008

if you didnt know, than NOW you know. GUESS WHO APPROVES THEM!!!

john jacob rutger Sep 12, 2008

people...people...please do me a favor and read your billing contract that explains your billing cycle. all that information is easily located what the federal trade comission calls "the terms and conditions" if you read this than you will never go through this again. TRUST ME!!!

• Gi
    girlmom Sep 09, 2008

I ONLY SIGNED UP FOR THE FREE TRIAL.THERE WAS A PROCESSING FEE WHICH WAS ABOUT $25. tWO WEEKS LATER i GET AN EMAIL ADVISING THAT MY ACCOUNT WOULD BE CHARGED AN ADDITIONAL $50. tHIS CHARGE WAS NOT MENTIONED IN THE ORIGINAL AD. THE ONLY WAY TO CONTACT THEM WAS THIS [protected]. I TRIED TO CALL THE NUMBER TO CANCEL SEVERAL TIMES. i KEPT GETTING THE RECORDING THE CALL COULD NOT BE COMPLETED FROM MY AREA CODE. i CANCELLED THE CARD THAT I SENT IN TO SET UP THE ACCOUNT IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE I DONT LIKE NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTACT A CUSTOMER SERVICE REP.

IS THIS A SCAM? PROBABLEY SO

• Li
    Lisa Sep 09, 2008

im pissed!!! i have been charged for something that i didn't recieve from this company. Ive called them twice and the charges still haven't been added to my credit card. im contacting the FBI on this matter!!

• Rl
    R. L. Sep 08, 2008

I used their program for a month after the trial ended. Called when they were going to charge for another month to cancel. They refused to refund my money and became quite hostile in their attempted explanation and accused me, in different words, of basically trying to get out of a charge for a service I had "already received." I am currently working with my credit card company to dispute the charges and file a police report if necessary. I will also be contacting the BBB. I sure wish I had done more research first!

• Ca
    Catherine Fortner Sep 04, 2008

I have never sued anyone, or company, but this company needs to be taken to the cleaners, I don't know how to do a class action lawsuit but I will help in anyway if anyone wants to and knows how to do it, I can't believe they can get away with this,
    I signed up for the $1.95 intro offer, next thing I know I get a e-mail saying I have 72 hours till they charge my card $49.95 for the next month, witch just happens to be a Sunday, and who has time to hold all day on friday, samething next month witch is labor day weekend, what is sad I haven't even used it yet. if I knew where if there is one an office here in CA. you bet your mama I would there, with shotgun in Hand (lol)

• St
    Steven Aug 29, 2008

I couldn't log in and I logged in as they gave me a username and password. changed me for it. one time was $39, 90 plus $1.95 and other website samething hollywoodprofilesco, and secure.hollywoodprofile.com and changed me again for $49.95 that i am not aware. Now I don't have job and money now because of them..

• De
    Denise Duran-Bylard Aug 19, 2008

I am a 55 year old female, married and have been a cleaning lady for 20 years. I received an email from Hollywood Profiles to be an extra and earn extra money. They said they would send me info on how to do this if I would simply send $1.95. The website was secure (the little lock logo) so I sent it from my checking account. I kept receiving the same promotion but no way to contact them or receive information on how to get into the Extra business. Several months later I discovered HOLLYWOOD PROFILES WAS DEDUCTING $49.95 FROM MY CHECKING ACCOUNT!!! I have worked very hard to earn money and have been robbed. They refused to refund it and hung up on me.

• Ra
    ray Aug 14, 2008

Don't go there, that is Hollywood profiles website. They are a complete scam mixed with a sham and are complete lying thieves. They give nothing for your hard work money. And when you call them and they hang up, here is there phone # [protected].. I reached a guy there and told him to remove me from there data files and charging system, he said no problem but then the next month came around I was charged $49.95 again. They put my account in the RED. Bank of America tells me to change my credit card. This is a hassle. The Bank should be able to do something but its limited. Some one out there has inside knowledge of how the system works and is abusing it. The things people do to food on there tables, sometimes its despicable...

• He
    Herma Aug 11, 2008

I too was a sucker!!! I Never agreed to $49.95. I am not through with these scammers, After waiting 75 minutes on the line to issue a complaint they hung up on me

• Ar
    areuastar Aug 09, 2008

I hate reading these kinds of comments. As a Casting Director with over 25 years experience casting Television and Film, I know that these scams exist, but it bothers me that Joey Lawrence is the spokesperson and so many of you have had these kind of issues. I created a site called AreUaStar.com with lots of free information for aspiring actors on getting into Hollywood, guest star video blogs from successful Hollywood Pros and there is also a paid service where top Casting Directors will give honest and critical feedback for people who are wondering if they have star potential.

I hope these kinds of scams like Hollywood Profiles doesn't deter people from legitimate sites like mine.

• Ne
    New Yor, NY Aug 06, 2008

I could log into my account to create the profile, but not to lob back in. I didn't have a phone number to call. I only received a customer service number when I was charged over $100.00. What a scam!!! This sor of business should be punished by law. I don't know how they can get away with it.

• Ne
    New Yor, NY Aug 06, 2008

I also fell for their scam. Originally, I was under the impression that I was only going to be charged a small fee of less than $2.00 - nothing else. I was eventually charged over $100.00 for an account I couldn't even access more than twice. According to one of their agents, there may have been something wrong with the website. Also, there wasn't even a phone number I could call to find out why I couldn't access the account I had just set up. Only after I received an email from them stating that I had been charged nearly $50, I was provided with a phone number - and when I called them, I was actually charged about $100. This is a scam. I suggest you stay away from Hollywoodprofiles.com.

• La
    LaineyH Aug 03, 2008

This is not a complaint, this is an alert! If you have had trouble with the practices or products of Hollywood Profiles, please file a formal complaint with the FTC/FCC online, or by letter. I have done both. Just complaining won't get any action, the Federal agencies need to hear from YOU about what this company is doing.

• La
    LaineyH Aug 01, 2008

Couldn't log back into the site without sending another $1.99. When I called to cancel, they tried to talk me into finishing the trial period. When I said "No! Now!"The agent laughed. Then said, "OK". When I said that I'd better no see a charge on my card, he hung up on me.

• Sh
    Sheryl R. Moore Jul 30, 2008

I've just received the same email that so many of you are referring to. I receive so many scam emails that I've become very adept at researching how to resolve them. According to the BBB, there are 250 complaints already against them. You can locate them in the BBB search at Hollywood Profiles, 8721 Santa Monica Blvd #1057, west Hollywood, CA 90069. There company rating is an "F" by the BBB which means We (the BBB) strongly question the company’s reliability for reasons such as that they have failed to respond to complaints, their advertising is grossly misleading, they are not in compliance with the law’s licensing or registration requirements, their complaints contain especially serious allegations, or the company’s industry is known for its fraudulent business practices.

You can file a compliant through the BBB and I think they act as a go-between to resolve your issues and they track the responses to each complaint on line so you can read some of the past complaints in how they were reolved, this may help on how you deal with them.

Also change your bank account and/or bank card you used with them so they connot continue to withdraw money. It looks like they may have a track record of doing so from all the complaints I read, but this is just my interpretation of the complaints and blogs I have read since I have chosen not to join with them after reading thier BBB record.

My advice to everyone is to do a BBB search on any business before you sign up, you can get a picture of past business practice from thier BBB Company Report if they hae had alot of activity. also just typing thier company name with into a web search engine will give you an idea if anyone else has been scammed before you jump into the deep end of the pool. Good luck on getting your money back!!!

• Ed
    Edward Chapman Jul 23, 2008

07/22/2008.I was invited on the internet to star as an extra in the m new movie, Casting for Myron Graces Sheila Story.The location of the meeting ground is in Atlanta GA.The producer I called and talked to by phone said that performance pay is $200 dollars a day and up and you have to be on time.He also said that registration between 07/15/2008 to 08/15/2008.You have to pay a membership fee of $45.00 dollars to receive a personal resume and portfolio for one entire year.The producer is going to take my portfolios and have it notice to the other movie production.That I be the first to know when and where a making comes up and discovered to fit that part.What I am asking you Miss Cristie.You are my recruiter and I do need someone to investigate the matter.So that I will not feel alone and can to be aware of the difficultys insured in my $41.85 cents deposited into this extraordinairy savings that you explained to me when it comes to a free portfolio and other benefits required.Which will show on my website page.Or a refund on 07/28/2008.Gristie, write me back and tell me if I still have a good deal and to disregard the recent offer shown on the internet screen.Will thier be more offers and notifications to report to a setting.

• Pa
    Paul Jul 19, 2008

I am so glad I came across this information. I just received an email from HollywoodProfiles.com stating that it only costed $1.95 to sign up. The sad part about it all is that Joey Lawrence, a famous celebrity is indorsing this company. Does he not realize that everyone who joins this company and gets the same treatment as you did will look down on him as well for trying to convince people to do this? Let alone being this is a very bad time because of the economy. People just like me, are looking for the easiest way to make that buck. I can not afford to lose a single dollar right now. It is a disgrace that celebrities would stoop to a level to help scam artist steal money from those who are already hitting bad times. Joey Lawrence should be ashamed of himself for doing this. But I guess since he got his good chunk of pay for indorsing this scam, he could care less how this company treats everyone else. SHAME ON YOUR JOEY LAWRENCE!! SHAME!!!

• Pa
    Pat Jul 18, 2008

I recently was on the Hollywood Profile internet site. I thought I'd try the $1.95 offer and clicked continue. I didn't press any other key to add on to my $1.95 and within a few days I was charge $29.95. I called Hollywood Profile and I was told they were having computer problems and to call back on Monday- I had called on Thursday. I was told that I had signed up for the platinum upgrade. I called Hollywood Profile and had to call a few times before I got someone to help me reverse the charge. I finally spoke to Daniel. I then told Daniel that all I wanted was the $1.95 charge and nothing else.

I just received a $49.95 charge on my credit card from them. I was told that it's $49.95/month for their services. The $1.95 was a 2 week free trial and that it was my responsiblity to call and cancel. I thought I did when I told Daniel that all I wanted was the $1.95 fee and nothing else. I argued with Thelma and then Mike when I told them that I had told Daniel that all I wanted was the $1.95 fee and nothing else and that Daniel never told me about the $49.95 fee. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that supervisors do not speak with people with credit disputes. I was also told that I had electronically signed for the $49.95 fee per month and that it shows on line 4 that I have to call in. I thought I did. I will say one thing - the employees know how to read their script cards well.

I have contacted my bank and also the BBB.

• Be
    Benjamin Jul 16, 2008

I work in a Visa Bank in the disputes department. The following is my experience with them from a few minutes ago:

Talent Svc (I will call them TSvc) is part of a multi-merchant called Hollywood Profile. Hollywood Profile can obtain a CH’s information by promising service for a small charge (in the case of TSvc it was $1.95) and then later charging larger, recurring charges (TSvc: $49.95 x 2 months). [Original, smaller charge shows up as being from HollywoodProfile.com; larger, recurring charges show up as being from one of the multi-merchant names (i.e. My Identity, Travel Disk or My Bargain)]

I decided to call TSvc instead of closing Cardholder (CH) acct and filing the dispute as fraud. Called TSvc phone # on CH statement and got Customer Service (CS) Rep Frank who said he would put in a refund request for approval with the possibility of it being turned down; a request wasn’t good enough for me so I asked to speak to someone who could confirm that the charges would be refunded. He transferred me to a CS Supervisor (Luis) who said he would process credits, though their system restricts them from refunding charges >90 days old. I asked if he could assure me that the CH would be credited some other way if that was the final decision; he said he would try processing it right then. The credits went through, even the >90 day old refund. Luis confirmed that the CH's acct with TSvc was closed and gave me a Transaction ID number for the credits. He said credits take 3-5 days to post on the CH's Credit Card Statement.

***Special Note***

The CH I called on behalf of lives in [a specific state] and TSvc, according to CS Rep and CS Supervisor, does not serve [that state]. They had CH’s address listed same as ours except for state and zip. (Their files listed [a different state and zip]) They said that they are refunding all accounts from [a certain state] since they don’t serve there, but the conversation went in such a way that leads me to believe they would credit any CH, regardless of state lived in, if one was specific in stating that CH did not agree to any charges aside from the original $1.95.

john steiger Jul 15, 2008

yes my account was hacked can you help me get it back all i can remember is ID#2j685736xk817834n that was paypal i got toon from toonstorm on april 9 08 character name was magnacarta acc. name was Zyborg password was paul616161 plz help my son is driving me crazy plz email me thank you