Harkins TheatresPersonal Injury in Accessible bathroom

D

On March 25, 2011, I was at the Harkins Theatre on Happy Valley Rd and the I-17 to see a movie. I had to use the restroom near the ending of the movie, and went to a family restroom/accessible restroom. It is private. I am in a wheelchair and visually impaired. When I was to transfer back to my chair, both feet slid out from under me and I fell hard on my forhead onto a steel plate. I was unconscious for about 10 to 15 minutes. When I came to, it took another half hour to get to my chair. I went to the ER and found I had a severe concussion, with a hairline fracture. The incident report Harkins mgr filed has me being injured at 1 PM. I didn't get there till almost 1:30. The time on my ticket stub says I purchased the ticket at 1:28. They also claim I went in and watched a two hour movie afterward. However, the movie was 10 min from being over. I was in the restroom from 2:40 till 4:07. I have time stamped photos while I was still in the restroom. There was baby powder on the floor and that is what I slipped in. The mgrs do admit to the powder on the floor. However, they claim that the restrooms are cleaned every 15 minutes. If that was so, and for as long as I was in there, no one came to try the door, as I would have yelled for help. The insurance company, Fireman's Fund, has denied my claim for pain and suffereing. They offered me one thousand dollars. That is an insult for what I have gone through. I still have bruising and eye problems and it has been over a month since the injury. I feel it is unbelievable that Harkins would not do the right thing. I don't want to buy a new house...I just want compensated for the pain and blinding headaches I have had since the fall. For them to lie on an incident report was such a shock to me. I thought Mr. Harkins was a pretty good guy.

• 122691 Jun 30, 2011

Great use of makeup. Looks very real. Have you tried scamming Target and Walmart too?

• Sr
    srchng4care May 19, 2011

although i do feel bad for you... if the movie was almost over how come whoever you were there with didnt go looking for you?? i know if my friend told me they were going to the restroom and was still gone after 40 minutes id go look for them hell after 20 min i would of!??!! and also if your visually impaired not to be mean but why were you even at the movies you cant see the screen?? AND if your that blind and disabled how come no one assisted you in the restroom i would argue that your neglegent with yourself probably to proud to realize you need help in the restroom and everyday life that if someone was helping you this wouldnt have happened!!!

• Mi
    mixer1 Apr 29, 2011

I like to always look at things from two sides...devils advocate and pro whatever. This isn't to discount how you do look injured and it does look painful. Suspect the theatre has decent surveillance and so validity should be easy of your timeline. If you were in fact able to lay on the floor and snap pictures of the situattion why did you not use that phone to call whomever you were in the movies with or 911 for assistance. One could imagine that companies like this if they are big probably get targeted for suits that are fraudulent all the time.