Geek Squad At Best Buy — recklessly incorrect diagnosis
On July 2, 2017 I went to Best Buy in Mission Valley in San Diego, CA. I approached the Geek Squad counter with my desktop computer in arm. I needed service on it because the machine didn't send a signal to the display. The computer worked, and I could hear the fan run when I turned it on, but the monitor for some reason didn't display anything.
When I got to the counter, a "technician" (if you can call him that) plugged a keyboard, mouse and monitor to my computer to diagnose it. He acknowledged that the computer did turn on but that the monitor wasn't receiving a signal. He turned the computer off and said "you have a bad motherboard, " to which I responded, "What can be done?" He replied, "Nothing, you have to buy a new computer." I asked him how he could tell, and he said he just knew it was a bad motherboard and that there was nothing that could be done. I argued that he didn't even go in to see if there were loose connectors or transistors, and he said that it was likely a bad transistor and said they couldn't fix it.
I was in shock! I wondered how in the world you could make a diagnosis like that without even taking the cover off. Needless to say, I took my machine and left. Instead, I drove straight to Notebooks Plus, which is a little mom-and-pop store within 5 miles. I left my computer there, where the REAL technicians diagnosed it and told me that the problem was excess dirt inside. They cleaned the machine and now it works fine!!! Thank goodness for REAL computer technicians!
Moral of the story: Now that Geek Squad resides in a retail store, understand that they are no longer their to repair electronics, rather to get you to buy!!
More Geek Squad At Best Buy Complaints & Reviews
- Geek Squad - geek squad - is a total rip off! 
- Geek Squad - phone insurance 
- Best Buy/geek Squad - tv repair took forever 
- Best Buy Geek Squad - the geek squad really sucks! 
- Best Buy / Geek Squad - laptop repair 
- Geek Squad - repair a virus in my laptop - lost my entire data + fraud
- Geek Squad - did not replace defective part for freezer
- Geek Squad - can't fix my problem 
- Geek Squad - moving old info from old microsoft hard drive to newly purchased hard drive work done with geek squad at hutchinson, mn location 
- Best Buy / Geek Squad - dumb # geek squad agents!