FM WINDOWSFailure to replace defective windows under warranty

J Review updated:

FM windows replaced all our windows a few years back. One of the reasons we purchased windows from FM Windows and Doors was because they had a lifetime guaranty.

A few of our windows need replacement. The inside rubber sealant has begun to buckle in between the panes of glass.

We contacted the sales representative who we had dealt with back near the end of 2008. He left a voicemal for us that the replacement windows had been ordered and received but could not be installed until the new year. This never happened. We have tried calling the sales representative a number of time this year and have left messages. None of our calls have been returned.

I have now sent a number of e-mails to the head office and they do not respond back either.

More FM WINDOWS Complaints & Reviews

• Ol
    Olex Jan 17, 2010

We were charmed by the artistic salesman and reasonable pricing. Unfortunately, the salesman happened to be a very unorganized and hard to reach person as we could learn it about him later on. Massages left in his personal voice mail could be returned only after a call to the main office. The delivery was delayed by almost 4 months. Windows installation was lousy: not plumb, yellow foam sprayed on the black roof shingles and the outside brick walls, drywall ripped around the windows – the room walls had to be repaired and repainted on our own expense. The FM Industries installers used MDF to frame the windows, not wood. We received much unexpected reaction from the main office when complained about the deficiencies. The person who seemed to be the owner of the company demanded a full payment immediately and threatened to pull out the workers if we do not comply. At that moment the front door was removed and the replacement one had yet to be installed. When we refused to pay in full until everything is completed according to our contract the installers just walked away and we were left to deal with the front door installation ourselves. Fortunately, it was early afternoon and we managed to hire a contractor to finish the job the same day. A week later we negotiated a price reduction with the tough owner, which yet with the added costs for room renovation and the front door installation resulted in $600 more than we originally signed off to spend on the windows and front door replacement. Last week I called the FM Windows to order replacement weather stripping. It deteriorated rather quickly within a 4 months period. I had to talk to the owner once again and had to listen to a very abrasive lecture on how big a full I am expecting that the company will honor their lifetime warranty after the contract was short paid. The gentleman hung up on me without giving a chance to reason. We have read and also heard several times from the salesman that the company has been in business in Canada for 30 years. Somehow it does not feel as Canadian business at all except for the first encounter with the salesman.

• Ru
    Ruby from brampton Apr 17, 2010

we purchased windows from FM 2 months ago. They did a fantastic job in a time frame they promised. We really loved their 30 months equal monthly payments which makes our life so easy. We really love our new windows and recommend FM to all of you.

• Ca
    Carolyn Cassidy May 18, 2010

I also have not had responses from the salespeople I dealt with...they don't return my calls and one of my windows during the winter (installed one year ago) warped and now it is very difficult to lock it...since it is the ground floor..very unhappy I can't open my window and let in the air...this was the purpose of installing new windows...not happy they aren't at least reponding to my phone messages...very poor advertising as they are supposed to have life warranty...apparently, NOT TRUE...

• Ca
    Carolyn Cassidy May 18, 2010

very upset...not happy a year ago with installation and their response then either...very poor business...would not recommend them to anyone else

• Je
    Jeff Cornwall Nov 21, 2010

I too had to deal with this useless company. never again. double hung windows that I have to seal in the winter because the cold air blows in around them. had a thermal pane start to fog up after 13 months. useless salesman that had promissed these where better then my existing northstar windows that where on the upstairs floor(about 9 years old at the time) tells me that I would have to pay a service call to have the pane replaced. I was ready to remove the window and go jam it up his ... he ended up getting me the thermal pane and I had to replace it myself. a few years later one of my northstar windows upstairs had a bad thermal pane. at this time about 12 years old. I called the local dealer. gave him the numbers off the window. not only did they get the repalcement pane they even came and replaced it for me. also note that the northstars had been installed by the previous home owner. ever since then I only buy northstar windows and if anyone mentions fm windows I tell them to not even bother getting a quote.

• Al
    AlexisREALmad atFM Feb 06, 2011

Bought 7 windows from FM. Long and short the company owner of FM Industries windows and doors conceded that all our windows were installed at the lowest industry standard; not plumb/level, no foam, no caulking, pieced in used wood, inferior installation with more than 30% off the quality of everything they advertise about their windows, service and install. Owner confirms several windows are chipped due to manufacture flaw. Owner refuses to repair, replace and or honor any warrenty such as they promote publicly. All work was paid for before installation. $7000 down the toilet; many problems such as others have written here.

James Magennis Apr 20, 2011

I have windows that leak and i can not get them to fix them, I have been keeping a record of my phone call emails it is now about six months i have been asking. Even this morning at 1am i was up soaking up water in the inside of the windows. If someone knows what i can do please let me know

• 3d
    3dogdexter Jun 27, 2012

Dealing with FM Windows .. is horrible! The customer service team doesn't respond when the issue is quite big. They act like they are taking the superior lead on our issue .. only to send an email and then refused to accecpt anymore phone calls from us which was ridicious. They sent us back to deal with the sales person which was the reason we had to go to head office. Horrible customer service. I would NEVER buy from them again!!!

• Br
    Brantford Jul 30, 2013

I am not impressed either. The screens don't fit the windows properly, and their fix was to install a screw at the top of the frame to push the screen down further. Still large gaps throughout. The metal bracket that attaches the window to the "slider" seems flimsy in that the screws come lose and can't actually be screwed back in (the screw hole gets warped). Already paid for a service call (over $90 with tax) to fix on one window, and now a few months later is happening on a few more.

• Pr
    Pretty Good Mar 25, 2014

I had 4 big windows and 6 baywindows and patio doors from Clera/FM Industries installed in December 2013 and I have to say I have no complaints. There was some minor drywall damage under two windows from the removal of the old frame but the installers were very polite and cleaned up very well. I think for the price I paid, these windows and patio doors are just fine. I thought there might be condensation inside one patio door but it turned out to be factory dirt on the outside. The area sales manager Steve Wright was very prompt in attending to my email and came by to look at the problem and provided a special cleaner free of charge. Slight caulking issue on one bay window but again quite promptly attended to. This is Stittsville, Ottawa area.

• Pr
    Pretty Good Mar 25, 2014

So far so good

• Ba
    ballycanoe Oct 14, 2014

We ordered windows in April and were promised installation by June. Its now mid October and still no sign of our windows. Or our deposit. They never return our calls. He took our gothic style storm window to make a template and now I want it back to put on for the winter since it doesn't look like we will be getting our windows. And I want my deposit back. Wish me luck. I think they are unreliable and will never recommend them.

• Cc
    C.C. Thompson Nov 06, 2014

Unfortunately I am having the same issue. I wish I had known what awful service they provide before I spent over 20, 000 with them. I have been trying to reach our sales rep and I have called head office numerous times and they have not returned my calls either. They are on top of things when they want your money but after the install they could carealess.

• Om
    OMN Nov 17, 2014

Had FM/Clera windows installed. Windows were installed right on the brick with no shims despite my complaints. There were not level, plum, square or true. Windows are cold because there is no insulation underneath, they leak air and a generally garbage( not one window person that I have talked to since believe it is ok to put them right on the brick). Screens do not fit properly. Trim installation was tragic to say the least. No where close to professional skill, and he was the trainer on window installation for the company. Wish there was a class action suit against them as I would join in. I thought I had a professional window company installing them. I would have down a way better job myself.

• Li
    Lisa9 Jan 25, 2015

We have had similar issues with all of those above, improperly installed window that can no longer be opened because it is impossible to close and lock. After about 10 phone calls they sent the installation manager out who told us the window had not been properly installed and he would fix it; apparently he had been out to repair many windows that the previous area rep had installed. This manager than started dodging our calls and when my husband finally got a hold of him he stated he no longer worked for the company but in fact the company was dodging us because they were not going to honour the repair. I made a phone call to our area rep and left a voice mail that I had contacted a lawyer regarding my legal rights and surprise...got an immediate phone call. Our local rep and he told me I had to pay a service fee to have someone come and look at the window BUT they had already sent their installation manager to look at it so there was no need to do this again, he said he would call back, this was in December. I have not heard back. I called head office and they responded, said the owner would come out with an installer the next week, in the interim I received a letter from the local rep saying I had to pay a service fee for them to come and look at the window AGAIN they already sent someone so why would I pay for them to send someone else!!! Nobody came...I called head office again, they say they are coming this Monday...we shall see. I am encouraging anyone that has reported these issues to please file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, as they are rated as an accredited business with NO complaints! I will be doing the same, this company should not still be in business and even if we are a small sample, which I am doubtful about, this is unacceptable!

• Le
    Leila Laskujarvi Apr 10, 2015

I just had a very unpleasant encounter over the phone with a scheduling guy named Rod. Clera Windows was supposed to come over yesterday at 3 pm to give me a quote on 5 windows and 2 doors. Nobody showed up, although in my phone I had the appointment scheduled for 3 pm, with a note saying the guy was coming from Concord (this is where they are located). Rod told me that I must have called another window and door company and therefore I was mistaken and insinuated that I had never called them. I rebutted that, but he took offence to that. When I asked "can we reschedule the appointment?", he said "no, we cannot". I was incredulous—"why not?" I asked. He then said that he had tried calling me (why, if I had supposedly never called them in the first place?) several times and was difficult to get a hold of and that I was confrontational and they didn't want to do business with someone like that. I couldn't believe what I was hearing—a simple "I'm sorry for the confusion and let's reschedule for another day", would have been the right thing to do from a customer sales and service point of view. I asked if they didn't want my business and he bluntly said, no. Well, now I certainly don't want them to do my windows and doors, no matter how good they are (and maybe by the looks of it, it's a good thing I found out the negative reviews of their company on this website). I wonder what the owners of this company think of this sort of thing? Is this how they expect their scheduler to interact with potential customers? I would not do business with this company and would advise others to do their research and pay attention to the negative reviews—they obviously don't care about their customers or potential customers. With this sort of arrogant attitude, I can see why they don't bother or care about mistakes or errors in their work and take no responsibility to correct these things (as seen above). I'm sure it's a matter of time, before the negatives end up on their file with the BBB. I think we had a narrow escape!

Marylyne Jun 04, 2015

A review for Clera Windows and Doors by FM Industries
    Jun 04, 2015, Acton
    We virtually had all of the windows replaced in our home this past November. The windows are beautiful, however we have had major issues with the sales rep (who is no longer employed by the company) the installation process (before and after) and customer service and management who have ignored my many phone calls and emails. It seems that no one wants to take responsibility and I have been passed on from Customer Service to the VP and then on to the Owner of the company. All of them who make promises and then fail to deliver! I believe that they are hoping that I will forget the issues and let them go, however that is certainly not going to happen. The windows were installed in November 2014. The Installation Supervisor was wonderful, his crew was not! The house was completely upside down, the mess was incredible. Dust and debris from floor to ceiling. (This all before a Christmas Party which made it all the more stressful) They tossed broken glass, wood and nails onto the lawn and driveway. (My husband subsequently received a flat tire on his truck). The time frame that they worked was sporadic as it was very cold and they would not work. Several workers quit and never returned and the project dragged on over several weeks. The wall had to be repaired by another contractor that we hired, as the worker who was the "expert" decided to quit mid job and they did a band-aid job on it. To make matters worse, I had money taken from my bedroom where the workers were left unattended. (I could not be with them to supervise all of the time and I trusted them in our home). (The money was replaced by the supervisor no questions asked.) We ended up paying a cleaning company almost $500 for two full days of cleaning. We have had extensive renovations done to our home and had never experienced anything like this before. The salesperson promised to reimburse us the cleaning fees and it is now over 6 months and we have not seen anything. There have been nothing but excuses and now that the salesperson is no longer with the company, I believe that they are questioning my integrity! The windows have still not been cleaned properly (it was too cold in the winter and we were promised Spring). The black tabs are coming off of the screens and need replacing. To say that I am disappointed is an understatement! Not only did we have virtually the whole home replaced, but I had previously used this company in my last home. So, $30, 000.00 later and you think that we would be considered good customers. I am guessing not. To make matters worse, we financed the job on our current home. We were not made aware, nor did we know, that a lien would be placed on our home. Had we known that, we would have never agreed to it. We were also supposed to have a follow up with our sales person, who never once came to inspect the job. Needless to say, we are very unhappy customers.

• Ug
    ugly window Jun 28, 2015

I purchased 2 large windows about 10 years ago. About 4 years ago, my one window has the rubber seal buckling. I called to have it replaced. Salesman left me a message that the window would be replaced and someone would come out and measure. Next message was that salesman came but no one was home. Since we did not know anyone was coming, it didn't surprise me no one was home. Called again and made an appointment. Installed came 3 hours earlier than planned during the day. Again no one was home. I work all day. I then recieved a message saying that the installer could not keep coming back for missed appointments.

Window still has not been fixed and it looks terrible.

Comments

• Vl
    Vlad fonthill Jun 30, 2015

I worked for clera windows fonthill and the contractor does not install the windows properly lack of spray foam, no shims and does not screw them in properly (very unsafe ) as an installer helper I couldn't stand to work for him while he hacked windows in lies to customers and sales men over prices the worst windows I' very ever worked installed ( vinyls pro windows ) are the best window in Ontario

• Wi
    Wise Man Jul 22, 2015

I am surprised to see all these complaints on this website against Clera windows. We have used them in the past and had no issues. I used to be in the industry and I sense that most of these people writing reviews are competitors. As a customer, I had issues with Clera and I called the head office and they were good enough to accommodate my request with in reasons and as a professional I understand that if they want to be in the business they have to be fair and if they start looking after every unfair claim like the one above, they will be out of business like so many other companies. We all blame the economy but never look at ourselves that we are the main factor in creating this so called recession.

• Cl
    Clera Windows Jul 24, 2015

28th of Jun, 2015 by ugly window - Reply.

Please contact Clera head office at [protected] if your sealed unit has not been replaced.

• Cl
    Clera Windows Jul 24, 2015

Our request to all the customers is to please contact the head office at [protected] rather than complaining on this platform as we do not monitor this website regularly and we do not get any notification in case you have any issues.. After seeing all the complaints, we recognize most of them and few of them are just bogus (may be competitors). Most of the complaints have been resolved but customers are unable to amend their reviews or they don't have time to write a new one. Some customers were unhappy because they didn't like our offer but at least we try to resolve the issues. As a company, we take pride in our reputation and if anyone has a concern, we definitely hear them out and look after their requirement with in reasons. We wish all of you best of luck and in case your complaints are not being looked after with in reasonable time frame, please ask to speak to the management. Good Luck!!!

Charl123! Oct 27, 2018

@Clera Windows I do not believe any of these complaints are bogus. I have tried to deal with "management" as have many others, with no resolve whatsoever. You admitted your product was defective, but you yet still won't honour the warranty. I note you have law suits you have lost and one pending class action lawsuit. You are guilty of misrepresenting your product. You advertise you produce the doors yourself, in your factory, but in fact you do not. Defective products and shoddy workmanship, plus no customer service = a really disreputable company.

joef7986 Jul 27, 2015

We just had Clera windows installed in our house, and the installers did a fantastic job. I am really surprised to see all of these complaints because their product is beautiful and the installers were neat and it seemed like they did not run in to any major problems along the way. Overall, i am very pleased with the whole process and the end result. I recommend Clera Windows to anyone out there that is in need or searching for some new windows.

• Ra
    Ray W. White Sep 22, 2015

We purchased windows from FM Industries a few years ago, had all the windows in the house changed with the exception of 2. This was done around 2001. We purchased them because they were "guaranteed for life!"
    I have had problems with these windows since 2009. I had people out a couple of times. First time they said it was because our house had shifted. Therefore not under warranty. This house has been here since 1950...I'm sure the house is now settled and there is no shifting as in a new home. I called again in April or May of this year, as there are parts breaking on the windows. I had someone call and say they would be out in a few days. Someone finally came out June 11th. When they came they did not have all the parts (they were told exactly what was broken they should have come prepared) and they would be back in a few weeks. They were also going to replace one of the windows. I called a couple of times to find out when I could expect someone . I called again in August, I was told someone had dropped the window and had to wait for another one. I was told they would get back to me as soon as the new one arrived. It is now September. I have still not heard from anyone and I have left a few messages. I am not happy. There are two windows that they no longer manufacture and have to be replaced. I was told that I would have to pay for this. They are not under warranty!!! I purchased these with a lifetime warranty!!! What good is that?? I would never recommend these people!!! And if I have to get my windows replaced, I will go to another company for sure!
    [protected]

• Mg
    M Gabriel Aug 16, 2018

good until there is a warranty issue, then they don't stand behind their product... I have a draft coming from one window and mold on the inside. They say they don't know what the problem is but its not the window... HUH ?