Florida Healthy Kidssons health insurance

T

I have a six year old son who desperately needs medical attention due to various illnesses. I applied for Florida Healthy Kids 4 months ago. I have called them to try to find out the status. Each time I call, a staff member tells me to call back. I can NEVER get a straight answer from these people. Each time I call I get a different story as to why my sons policy is not active. I called six times yesterday, three times my call was dropped having me wait an extra 20 mintes each trying to find the right person to speak with, twice I was told to call back next week, that my sons policy was still updating, once I was told that his insurance was still pending due to non payment!!! This is outrageous! My son is suffering here and Florida Healthy Kids is taking their sweet time about it. I have left a message for supervisors and I still have nothing. I am tired of watching my sons health drop while these people get their act together. Something definitely needs to be done here. People are hurting. The staff of Florida healthy kids are idiots!

More Florida Healthy Kids Complaints & Reviews

• Je
    Jennifer Green Oct 25, 2008

I have had the same problems with them. This has been going on since July two of my children have coverage but the 4yr old doesn't. Trying to get a straight answer is not going to happen. There HAS to be a change because how its going now is NOT working.

• Ta
    Tammy Nov 04, 2008

having same problem except healthy kids say my kids are active but the insurance company say's they are not active I call heathykids (all day today) to hear a recorded message that the number I have reached is not in services.Something has to change it is not fair for the kids

• Co
    Cori Ross Nov 08, 2008

I have a 9 yr old daughter with Type 1 Diabetes. She needs prescriptions filled monthly. She has been dropped twice now. I have spent countless hours on the phone trying to get this straightened out. It is very hard to get a straight answer and it is very difficult to get a supervisor on the phone. I have actually cried real tears on the phone and that seemed to work. That is when things got done but here I am again this month going through the same BS! It is absolutely ridiculous that last names cannot be provided. The only way to get directly connected to anyone is if you have a last name and NO ONE will provide you with last names. This is what I am going to recommend to all you frustrated Moms out there going through the same thing I am. Call Florida Healthy Kids and demand to speak with a supervisor, if a supervisor is not available DEMAND to be connected with the supervisors voice mail. Once you get through to voice mail the supervisor will state their first and last name write it down!!! Then call this number (sorry but its not an 800 number) [protected]. You will get an automated service and it will say to search for someone by last name type in first 4 letters BAM you get directly through to that persons voice mail. So far I have left 3 messages and have not gotten a return call!! These are our CHILDREN we are talking about here, some with very serious health conditions. Florida has provided a service for our children and they are not following through!!!

• Am
    Amanda Dec 02, 2008

Also, same problems. I have two sons, 3 and 1 years old. My first has been with healty kids for the past 2
    years. A few months back I attemted to get my second son enrolled in the program. I sent the forms in and
    waited a while (because you know it takes forever) and never heard response back, so I decicded to call and see
    what the status was of his application. They told me I put on the application that I did not want coverage for him.
    Thats rediculous, and not true, I have copies of the application to prove it. Why the hell would I send in an application for insurance for my son if I didnt want it? So I thought I had this straightened out that day on the phone after over a hour, but then things got worse. First son gets sick several days later and goes to the doctor, I find out he has no insurance now. So now I have no insurace for either child. I have spent hours on the phone getting the run around, w/ the same stories Tammy has recieved above. I have also spent over $600 in the past month on doctors visits and prescriptions for both my kids. I have over 180$ credit on my Healty Kids account accrued from paying extra every month for several years, so they cant use late payments as an excuse. I am quite frustrated as the rest of you.

• Pc
    PcolaMom Feb 03, 2009

I completely understand your pain dealing with Florida Healthy Kids & Medicaid which are linked! I filed for health insurance for my children on September 1, 2008 & still to this day I have not received their benefits package or cards, however I have been called to setup their peditrician, the monthly payment slips and was directed & paid their premium for their supposed effective date of January 1, 2009 that then turned to February 1, 2009. I too got the complete run around from every rep I spoke with.. I have a 5pg file of dates/times/names & what I was told but what always got me was that every person you talk to there says they cannot see the other persons response or anything?! I have been back & forth with HealthyKids which I filed for first because I knew they were not eligible for Medicaid so for 2mnths they fought amongst themselves as to who was going to cover them & as of December 2008 it was HealthyKids & still nothing?!?!?! It is extremely aggravated when you have done everything but their jobs when it comes to getting health coverage for your kids. I too have filed numerous complaints that as you see got me absolutely no where.. the supervisors are always the person sitting next to the one you last spoke to & demanded a manager.
    Good luck to you all as well...

• La
    LakeLaw Mar 14, 2009

I haven't had any problems with Florida Healthy Kids or MediKids. All you have to do is fill out a 1 page application, which can be faxed to the number listed on the application. Also, if you have problems with callng their customer service PHONE lines, you can e-mail theem at [protected]@acs-inc.com

Also, if you want to complain about the program's overall effectiveness, you can always contact your local legislator/senator OR contact:
    Rose M. Naff, Director National Program Office Florida
    Healthy Kids Corporation
    223 South Gadsden Street
    Tallahassee, Florida 32301
    Phone: [protected]-FLA-KIDS
    Fax: [protected]
    E-mail: [protected]@healthykids.org

You MUST realize that these people are underpaid, understaffed and overworked due to our economic downturn. And also know you must be your own advocate. The MOST important thing to realize is that you must be paid up 30 days in advance. So if you apply, simply send the payment immediately, that will activate your coverage and you will receive the documents in the mail.

For instance, if you would have made a payment on January 1st of 2009, you would have been effective on February 1st, but would have required another payment by February 1st to be effective for March 1, 2009. Get it? You can't pay for the insurance to make it active and not expect to make another payment by the 1st of the active month. They want to ensure that you are always paying 30 days in advance and that their service is covering you 30 days in arrears. That may be why some of you have experienced 'cancellation' prior to getting to the doctor's office. Good luck!!!

• Di
    dixie4459 Apr 18, 2009

I really have a beef with healthy kids. During the time my son was covered i really had no complaints. I made SURE i paid my premium each month. I was paying 125.00 a month. Fine, they told me thats what i needed to pay, then 7 months into paying 125.00 a month i get a letter saying i only need to pay 20.00 a month. Nothing changed in my household or my income. I called and no one could tell me why my coverage went down. Fine, except i was a little unsure so i paid my next premium at 125.00 just to be sure. Now I have a credit in my account. My son no longer has healthy kids because he turned 19 in oct of 2008. I have been waiting 6 months for my refund of 109.00. Every time i call I get a different answer but yes, they tell me i am owed a 109.00 dollars but cannot give me adate when i will receive it. I cannot believe these people, if you are one day late with your premium you willget cancelled. But i have been waiting 6 months for my refund.

• Ba
    barkway May 01, 2009

Call your local representative for the Florida Congress. I had huge problems with HealthyKids/Kidcare and my local rep's office jumped right on it AND told me they had numerous complaints about them. I asked how they tolerated having to spend their days going after KidCare and was told the reward was that they haven't had a case yet they weren't able to resolve. These people are your representatives, that's what they are there for-use them!

omgstopwhining Aug 18, 2009

Well, when you have your hand stretched out for a free/reduced handout, you can't really complain too much. Some of us have to pay full price for health insurance.

• Al
    all4one Sep 01, 2009

To OMGSTOPWHINING who wrote... "Well, when you have your hand stretched out for a free/reduced handout, you can't really complain too much. Some of us have to pay full price for health insurance":

You seem to be upset at the same exact, unleveled system as everyone else in this forum (at least up to this point). I understand you may be frustrated, as I am too. However, you submitted that comment as if everyone applying for this reduced cost insurance has done so under the premise of looking for a handout. While some do, it would be farfetched for you to make such a sweeping statement. Have you ever thought that perhaps some posters may have lost their jobs? Or perhaps they are being stripped financially by high medical cost/cost of living and really could not afford what they were paying. The last time I checked the cost of living has increased across the board, while the wage has remained stagnant and suitable. It really surprises me to see this attitude displayed by an human being. To be honest, we have all been recipients of some "handout" at one point or another. Yes- even you. Have you attended a public school? The taxes paid out by the surrounding property owners helped to fund the schooling. Have you every enjoyed the likes of a public library? Park? I'm not here to badger you, I just hope that people will begin to think for themselves, get off of the high horse they've been riding on and realize we - yes, all of us with no regard to race, color, creed, or social status, are in this slowly sinking boat together. It would behoove us all to put our heads together and figure out how to keep if from sinking.

omgstopwhining Sep 10, 2009

Well all4one, I agree, I did get a little upset at all the negative comments on the board...perhaps because I did work for FHK at one time. No one knows how it is from the employees' point of view. Luckily I was not in customer service so I honestly cannot take any blame for misinformation given, etc. I entered the applications into the system and it is absolutely inbelievable how some of the applicants seem unable to fill one out completely and correctly. They are very self explanatory and very simple yet so many parents fill it out incorrectly, or incompletely, which delays the process as much as anything FHK employees do or do not do. If it asks for a certain document, send it. If it asks for the total number of people in the household, enter it correctly. Everything on the application is there for a reason and has something to do with the eligibility outcome. So many apps come in that made us as employees wonder how on earth a parent could have screwed it up. I know how frustrating it is to deal with a company and get different answers and get the runaround. But the improvements have to start somewhere. When you fill out and application, don't put your county as USA, or Florida; don't enter the total family size incorrectly; don't list a parent on the application if they are not on there when it CLEARLY says on the app IF LIVING IN HOUSEHOLD; same thing with any other household member; and send the correct income documents. It is NOT that hard. It cuts down on the time to process these things if everything is done right to start with.

• Fr
    frustratedrelocatedmom Sep 15, 2009

The correct income documents? What exactly ARE the correct income documents??? I sent a copy of the court child support order to prove child support and was told I hadn't proved child support. I also sent a printout directly from the unemployment office showing weekly amounts of unemployment awarded and was told I hadn't proved unemployment. Please, omgstopwhining, share with us what the CORRECT INCOME DOCUMENTS are!!!

omgstopwhining Sep 16, 2009

Well in your case, the court order should have sufficed; unless there was some sort of discrepancy with the name, it was entirely too old to use, or something else, then it should have been used. I cannot speak for another employee, but aside from any of those circumstances, I would have used it. As for the unemployment, unless it was shown that you had for certain RECEIVED what was on the printout, and it was not just pending, then that is probably why it was not accepted. FHK does not count income that has not been received yet. They were probably asking for a pay stub. It would go without saying also that the income documents have to be recent; FHK guidelines require within the last 120 days. Income tax returns cannot be married filing jointly UNLESS one parent is a homemaker, it must be individual income documents. Self employment must be a schedule C, NO OTHER form of income tax documents are acceptable for self employment. Pay stubs must be consecutive or at least clearly show how often paid. For future reference, when someone is trying to help you, don't get SNAPPY and bite their head off, sweetie.

omgstopwhining Sep 18, 2009

Oh, another form of self employment they can use is a 1099; and SSA/SSI income must be the award letter. Copies of the checks or bank statements or a letter from the person that gets it is not acceptable. Same with child support or any other income. You can WRITE and say you get anything, but the proof is in the pudding as they say. People that work there have said many times that a detailed instruction sheet should be included with the apps since so many parents have to have things spelled out for them in order to fill out the application correctly. Guess they never did????

Another huge error that causes delays is people not putting the SSN and birthday for the child. Come on, people. This is how they identify the kids and they have to have that to enroll in any program and the account CANNOT be processed without it. Be smart and put it on there from the start. I used to breathe a huge sigh of relief when I wold get an app with no issues, it was all done right...most people do but there are those that are not done right and they only delay their own children's insurance when that happens.

• On
    onceapondatime FHK rep Nov 29, 2009

well i use to wrk for them and to tell u ppl just dont know how to fdo the application we have everything on the application and still u dont send in the right documents it a shame and want to be blameing the csr all they do is gave u the info that in fornt of them they dont process application the other dept does that and they dont recieve no call so parent u want ar application process my advise to u is send in all the document and info correct;y and u will have u app process and wright good

• Fr
    Fredericka Jan 02, 2010

I would like to know if I could call someone at FHK to see if they can disregard my application that I sent in today and then send another one in 6 months due to the fact that I just dropped my children off of my health insurance and I just saw on other websites that it is a 6 month wait if they were dropped off my insurance or do they keep the application on file until after 6 months.

nodoctorformychild Jan 18, 2010

My problem with this program is the actual insurance company my son's healthcare has been farmed out to - United Health Care. I have been dealing with this carrier for approximately 6 months now trying to get a primary care physician in my area who actually takes this insurance. I started out requesting a pediatrician (since my CHILD is a CHILD) - but apparently there are zero to none on the plan in my area, so then I asked for a family practice. They have a ton of these providers listed, but when you call the actual provider they state that they don't take the insurance or they aren't accepting new patients. I have sat on the phone multiple times with United Health Care going one by one on their provider list - ME calling each doctor's office while United Health Care sat on hold so I could find out if the providers accept the United Health Care/Florida Healthy Kids insurance. I ended up with a walk-in clinic doctor as my son's doctor, which was THE LAST thing I wanted for my son, but it's all they could give me, so I agreed out of desperation. THEN when I called the clinic about bringing my son in I was then told they made a mistake and they only take the United Health Care/Medicaid program. I called United Health Care and again went through the providers with them - this time they could only give me providers names that are an hour to 2 1/2 hours away from my home. This doesn't make any sense to me. It's called Florida Healthy KIDS, right? Why can't I get a pediatrician in my area - Or, at the very least, a family doctor within my area? United Health Care has this red-flagged currently and I am waiting to hear back from them. I think it's crazy. My son is genearlly a very healthy kid and I just want my son to have a check up. Last month he did get a pretty nasty stye in his eye, however I was still lacking a primary care to take him to, so I had to take him to an Urgent Care facility. I think this is wrong and the program needs to be reassessed.

• Va
    validcomplaint2010 Jan 18, 2010

Florida KidCare is quick to take your money but not quick to release it back when they owe you a refund. It took about 3 1/2 months and numerous calls just to get $40 back in the mail. The customer service reps all have different stories. They say it has to go to the processing department but "somehow" the message never goes through. It took my husband speaking to a manager/ supervisor to get anywhere and it is hard to get ahold of even them. Many calls "dropped" / disconnected. I was sure to give "bad/ poor reviews" whenever offered to participate in a telephone survey about their (lack of) customer service. And this incident pales in comparison to some of the other stories (very valid) complaints on here...

omgstopwhining Jan 29, 2010

I didn't work as a CSR, I just worked in the dept. that receives the apps, keys them in, and inputs whatever docs the parent sent with it. I rarely had to call a parent unless there was some info they left off that I needed to get by phone. For the record, PLEASE PUT the child's DOB and social, the child cannot be processed without those. Those are his identifying items and they HAVE to have that to process. Don't put a parent that doesn't live in the home either, it clearly states on the app "If living in the home" beside the parent 2 spot. I am sure that CSR's make errors but trust me, SO do the parents. All it takes is thoroughly reading the app and the instructions and getting it done the first time.

omgstopwhining Jan 29, 2010

I think they eliminated that 6 month waiting period by the way.

• In
    ineedacompass Feb 02, 2010

Can someone explain to me why there are 3+ organizations all dealing with Medicaid applications, and there is no communication between them? I have been applying for Medicaid through Florida Kid Care for 4 months now, and am completely deadlocked. My application has been transferred to Medicaid, MediKids, Healthy Kids, and each time, I get something in the mail saying they need the same supporting documents that I had submitted to the previous organizations. Can anyone help me navigate these waters? My child has special needs. She needs to see a psychologist and a neurologist, she's working with Early Steps, and getting ready to start preschool (hopefully). I've been talking with Children's Medical Services for months, but they really can't do anything until my application is approved through Medicaid. Can anyone help me navigate these murky waters? Just explain the system to me, so I can work it, instead of it working me over.

omgstopwhining Feb 18, 2010

There is really nothing to "work" and it sounds like your problem is Medicaid not FHK. A parent submits the app and the documents for all income; if the income is high enough, the child qualifies for one of the FHK programs based on age. If not, FHK system refers them to Medicaid. The child is referred to CMS if any of the special needs questions on the app are answered yes. Medicaid also has requirements that need to be met, i.e. documentation for things, and a lot more than FHK asks I might add. If all the information they feel is needed is not received, then coverage is delayed or denied and the parent gets a letter. Although the 2 programs are intertwined somehow, they are not the same thing and you cannot apply for one through the other, although they can each refer you to the other one if income does not qualify the child for that program. If you have a problem with Medicaid, call them. If you have a problem with FHK, call them. I can't speak for everyone there but if you speak to someone who knows what they are talking about then the process is a lot easier.

• Ad
    ad1das Mar 12, 2010

omgstopwhining, I have some questions if you don't mind.
    My children are on FHK-pedicare, and they are looking to put one of them into Bnet (?). My renewal is coming up, I've been laid off (for far too long) no unemployment comp. and my husband is self-employed. If my calculations are right, I think we are going to be over (barely) the 200% FPL. I understand there is a fullpay, will they automatically enroll me into that, or is it reapplying all over? Also, both of my children receive extensive therapy, are those benefits going to be lost? Any insight you can give would be great!

omgstopwhining Mar 13, 2010

The system will calculate if your income is over the 200% FPL and it will set the premium at full pay if it is, but depending on your household size it could be the regular subsidized pay. Also make sure if the kids need special medical help, that the "Special Needs" questions at the bottom of the application are checked to yes (whichever ones apply) and that refers them to Children's Medical Services. Then CMS gets in touch with you and starts making referrals, etc. As long as you get the documents in before your renewal period expires and the proper referrals go out, you SHOULD be fine on that. (o:

Sarab.1969 May 04, 2010

I'm so frustrated, I'm a U.S. resident, I pay my taxes and because my kids and I have been residents only for 4 years, I have to pay top dollar for their Florida Healthy Kids/United insurance: $ 266/month.
    Now, my 8 y.o. son needs some neurological evaluation his pediatrician recommended. Believe or not, I haven't been able to find a pediatric neurologist who takes this insurance, and was offered to pay "only" $ 590 for an evaluation! It is outrageous that a child's health is not protected in this State and tremendously frustrating for a mother having to witness all this, while the child is suffering from some undiagnosed problem.

• Jh
    J.Herndon Jun 24, 2010

The problem is not the parents, or the application, or the Insurance company’s, Part of the problem was Florida Kid Care / FHK Changeover to a new Vendor. This new vendor “Third Party Administrator” Who oversee all contractual obligations, the proceeding of all application enrollment, Administration & Client Relations, Eligibility, Premium Payments, Call Center, Document Control, Quality, Training, Systems, Research and Correspondence.) The big problem was the Third Party Administrator’s computer Systems (ConneXion) and the Document Control Imaging Systems (OPEX). We would have a backlog of applications, and renewal documents inability to identify the family account and documents attached. Imaging is Crucial!!! That could be why declining of enrollment over the years.
    There was an average of 18, 6000 applications per month representing approximately 364, 000 children.
    43% of children who applied during July 2007 through April 2008 became enrolled in one of the KidCare program components. This represents a 2% increase in applications from the pervious year, although it is still down from the [protected] period. Dr. June Nogle with the University of Florida’s Institute for Child Health Policy presented on the Florida KidCare Evaluation for SFY [protected], Dr Nogle discussed family satisfaction with the enrollment process and Indicated that satisfaction is lower this year then prior years, mostly among newly enrolled families. Questions were asked about their application processing experience, access to information through the toll-free number, and access to a customer representative that they felt was helpful.. Dr Nogle indicated that much of this decline could be attributed to the changeover to the new “Third Party Administrator” vendor. She noted that this fall, they plan to focus on whether or not the experiences have smoothed out and returned to levels from pervious years. This is the first significant drop observed since 2005. I know of some of the problem first hand because I worked two years with the FHK TPA “Third Party Administrator.” I saw these complaint letter’s from parents Everyday.

• Ca
    carsnscars Oct 15, 2010

just an fyi for everybody. Blue cross blue shield is cheaper than the help you get from this crappy place and its better. lower co-pays and deductables with 100%covered after you meet the deducutable. Healthy kids is only 60% so if your kids are not overly healthy or have health issues.. blue cross is the way to go

Sarah-Is-An-Idiot Oct 18, 2010

The application states that a proof of income can be a Federal Income Tax return. We have submitted our joined tax return. It was turned down because it was "Joined". For married people, they want other proof of income unless each spouse files for a separate tax return. The income of each of us is clearly showing on the return but they refuse it. That has happened 3 years in the row. So much for family values in this state when filing a joint tax return can work against you.

omgstopwhining Oct 18, 2010

Ok...you have tried this 3 years in a row and expect something different? Their system is not set up to process joint income. They need individual income for each parent, i.e. paystubs, which most employers these days provide. Why don't you send them in? No one is above policy/procedure; whether we agree with how things are done or not, it is what it is, and it's for your CHILDREN. Stop complaining, and send in what they ask for. Unless policy changes, then it will be the same way next time your renewal comes due. If I were you I would send in what they ASK for to begin with, instead of sending the wrong thing then complaining when FHK says they can't accept it. If not, find other insurance.

• Er
    Ericca Livingstone Dec 18, 2010

Ignominy, ignominy
    This country is for the rich people only. If you have the money you have the freedom here.
    Health shouldn't have a price - everybody should be entitled to healthcare. Healthcare shouldn't be a Walmart or Macy's, it should be available to everybody equally. Health shouldn't be negotiated and you should have the freedom to select your doctor. Inform yourself, look at Canada, Europe with the UK, France, Belgium, Germany etc. health is not an option there, why is it here???
    I'm probably beside the point in this context but I feel for all the frustrated mothers who desperately need coverage for their children. I have been myself in the same situation with an asthmatic kid and outrageaous price to pay without health insurance. It is deplorable for such an immense country to regard health this way like a product to sell and to make profit of.

omgstopwhining Dec 27, 2010

OK so you're saying that the doctors, who spent YEARS in school and thousands on thousands of dollars to educate themselves to save our lives, should give their services away? This is their livelihood, just like your career is yours. They trained and went to school for this, this is how they live. Some aspects of healthcare are overpriced...but it can't just all be free. Liberals would love that but that's now how it works, it can't.

• Pe
    pebbles12 Dec 30, 2010

Hey OMGstopwhining and others who posted on this forum and worked for FHK or FKC,

Guess what? Many of these parents have legitimate complaints against FHK! Including me, who filed a correct appplication and sent in necessarly paperwork only to be told that they did not recieve all of my paperwork and my sons insurance is being canceled. So stop defending them and realize they are screwing up and endangering childrens lives. Anytime you make a career choice you have to do your best job and produce quality work. From the complaints I hear the issue is with FHK or FKC (and their lack of quality work) and not with the parents incorrect paperwork. I don't care if it is reduced health insurance, if something is going to be offered it should be done right. $ 100-300 is not exactly cheap either. Im am not whining just making a legitimate complaint.

• Fe
    FedUp84 Dec 30, 2010

To omgstopwhining - I sincerely hope that you one day find yourself in the position of many of the parents here who have gone without health coverage for their medically fragile children. It sucks. It can be devastating financially and emotionally, and for you to vomit your privileged bile about 'handouts', well, you're begging for some serious karma. I have two special-needs children, and while they are covered by medicaid (and I am very thankful for that), we have still had to fight and struggle for basic services. You're toeing the party line here and defending an organization which, let's face it, profits from disease, illness and injury. Healthcare should be for people, not profit. As far as the other poster here who works for this company - your illegible post clearly indicates the level of education and literacy necessary to hold a job at FHK...namely, none.

• Fa
    familiescome1st Jan 30, 2011

I must say that I agree with omgstopwhining in the sense that if parents fill out the apps correctly they should be in good standing. For proof of earned income: separate tax returns, last 4 stubs, letter from employer, kidcare employment, statement are all acceptable. FYI- don't try to pull a fast one and send in inconsistent stubs; it's obvious. For proof of self employment income: 1040 + schedule c or 1099. NOTE: All tax docs must be the most recently filed (i.e. 2010) proof of unearned income: unemployment statement (workforce stubs), ssa/ ssi (not the same)proof of child support. If you have not received child support consistently then please note this on the app and the eligibility coordinators will NOT add child support to your acct. This means you have NOT received this income. That's not difficult.You can only submit daycare for kids up to 12 years old to receive a deduction from the income that the system calculates to decide if you make too much for a subsidy premium ($15-$20.) If your child is 13-18 and is DISABLED and can provide proof, do so. This helps A LOT. For Sara B. 1969, I have to inform you that it is state law that if on your Permanent Resident Card, based on your date of entry into the country, if you have not been here for 5 years then the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT mandates that the child be set at FULL PAY. Once you have met the 5 year mark, resubmit your children's citizenship docs or simply send in a letter telling them to pull the docs that are on file and the citizenship team will re-work the account and determine if your household is eligible for a subsidized premium based on your household size and current income. Unfortunately, FHK does not make the rules. They have to abide by the laws that have been passed by the federal government. I completely understand that it sucks; most of the employees don't feel that half the senate bills that are passed make sense. At the end of the day, as parents, you are going to believe what you want to believe. As a parent that has FKC as well; I understand the headache but at least I know how the system works. I hope this helped even a little bit. P.S.Please provide proof of US Citizenship AND identity. Read all docs submitted to you by FKC as a new senate bill passed requiring proof by the government. Sorry!

omgstopwhining Jan 30, 2011

You sound like someone that has worked there as well hehe. I have no reason at all anymore to be "loyal" to FHK, or defend them...so what I have said, I've said to try and help parents. As an employee, I always wondered WHY they don't read the instruction sheet that comes with the app, then complain when they fill it out in error and FHK had to request something else. It pretty well covered everything, and would have been helpful in clarifying some things. Like you said, we looked at some of the rules and laws and thought "What the he**? Why?" but FHK went by what it was mandated to do, no choice. What you said about the inconsistent paystubs, you nailed it. Don't choose the smaller ones and send them in because chances are, they will be too old to use, or FHK can't determine how often you're paid, so just send in RECENT, consecutive paystubs to begin with. We're telling you things to help you. Not all FHK employees are "idiots", they just do what they are instructed and hired to do. Parents, do your part, too.

• Fa
    familiescome1st Jan 31, 2011

Well, yes, I used to work in eligibility. :) I agree, I'd rather help parents to understand the process so they can obtain affordable coverage for their children.

• Su
    supermanadam Mar 13, 2011

I am beyond aggervated with Healthy Kids. My son had a seizure Wednesday. I went to the Dr. and they said they did not accept my insurance. I then spent 5 hours on the phone searching for a Neurologist that would take my insurance. I finallyfound one two and half hours from where I was at, then I called to get my son in and they needed a referral. I thought that would not be a big deal but NO. My previous pediatrician did not take the insurance either. So then I had to find a new pediatrician that takes the insurance ( which shouldn't be that difficult but it is). Now my son has had several insurance while I have been waiting to go to the NEW pediatrician to get a referral to the Neurologist. To have a sick child is stressful but to be told everywhere you go or call that they do not take the insurance is RIDICUALOUS. On top of that the United Health Care Insurance representative told me that I just needed to deal with it because this is a government handout and I should be thankful for what I have...well I Pay full premiums for my insurance...trying to get my children the best coverage available but boy was I wrong . Now my children are stuck with this insurance because my place of employment does not have open enrollment until June. I would not recommend anyone to receive this healthcare if you have a child with sickness.

• Di
    didi768 Apr 22, 2011

I do agree that when you call Healthy Kids, you get different answers from diff. staff members. It's hard to figure out how to get a real live person on the other end too. I had a woman helping me on the phone who couldn't answer most of my questions, or even bother to tell me she would find out for me. "I don't know" was her answer for everything. Well then, FIND SOMEONE WHO DOES KNOW SHEESH. Does anyone know the options for providers? I know two of them, Amerigroup and United. Are there more? My son needs surgery soon and I did call that doc to find out which healthy kids insurance they accepted. Healthy kids price does beat the cobra we'd have to pay for the kids which was like 1000.00 for the two boys per month. I am full pay as well.
    Good luck everyone. Welcome to America.

• Fl
    FlaEducatedMom May 23, 2011

I have to say after reading all these comments, I am quite scared about the application I just sent in. I hope I don't have as many problems as all of you have had. I am sure there are incompetent people working at FHK, but I am equally amazed at how many people didn't pay attention in school!! Not only should you do a spell check, but a grammar and a punctuation CHECK!!! Get it together parents- it's no wonder you are having trouble !

• Am
    amibeingscammed Jun 22, 2011

I got my daughter in to this because my husband and I are not offered insurance at work. We got approved YAY and I immediately did the online payment for $15.00 which is was so happy you couldn't believe how happy i was I printed the receipt and I go and check my bank and they took $35.00 instead of the $15.00 as stated on my receipt. Now I am scared that they are going to be taking more money out of my account. BTW they left us with .34 in the bank. We get paid on Friday which shouldn't be a issue, but I wonder how they can say $15.00 but then go and charge $35.00 without prior consent. If I would have known I would have paid on Friday so we won't be struggling a few days. Its kinda crappy but it is insurance but it seems that broke a few laws. Like you going to the store buying something for $15.00 paid for with debit card a few days later when u check your bank the store took out double, first thing you would probably do is head straight to the bank get a copy of the statement then go to the store with statement and receipt in hand and raise wholly hell to find a answer. I am going to have to keep a eye out for this company this is my daughters well being and our familys well being at stake here

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices