EOS CCADebt Collection

EOS CCA sent a letter to my parents home dated Sept 14, 2011 attempting to collect a debt for Century Link in the amount of $336.33. I have not lived with my parents for 31 years and I have not lived in NM since August 2010. The bill is for charges through March 2011 for phone and internet services. The phone number on the debt collection doesn't match the number I had when I lived there. I called EOS CCA and they indicated that the bill was valid and I could dispute it but it needed to be in right away since my time limit was running out. Really, Sept 14 and today is Sept 21! Either it is identity theft or they have their facts mixed up. Interesting note, if it is a phone bill, I call home from my cell phone regularly, why didn't they have my cell phone number or any of my family's numbers? They would have been on the bill.
Scam Artists trying to get people to pay bills that they never incurred and do not owe!

ChrisM85 Jun 17, 2012

I think people are too quick to call "scam" when they don't understand exactly what is going on. A scam is a deliberate action to trick someone out of money they do not owe. Emphasis on "deliberate". EOS CCA is a major debt collection company in the US and they make mistakes sometimes. I've dealt with them multiple times and I fixed the problem every time without trouble.

If you don't believe you owe the debt, then dispute it. When you do this, by law they have to prove that you owe the debt. This usually means they send you account statements, signed contracts, etc. If you're not the person that owes the money, then they aren't going to be able to supply these and they have to stop contacting you and remove anything on your credit report immediately. Easy, yes?
    It's important to note that you have to dispute this stuff in writing. Send a certified letter with return receipt requested to prove they got it.

If they don't validate and they don't remove the information from your credit report and/or still contact you, then file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. They usually respond to these pretty quick (within 2 days in my experience) and will send a letter back saying they made a mistake, they'll stop calling, and they'll remove everything they put on your credit report. Game over, you win.

If they still keep it up, then file a complaint with the FTC/Attorney General. This will usually get their attention if they've been ignoring you up to this point. If after 30 days or so they still aren't complying, then they are really up a creek without a paddle. Go find yourself a nice Consumer Protection attorney and explain what's going on. Most CP attorneys will take your case on for free because they know it's impossible to lose if you have proof they aren't complying and that you tried to fix the problem. You can sue their happy ### for major Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violations and those don't come cheap to them ($1, 000 per violation in your pocket).

Debt collectors make mistakes. It happens. Is it unfair that you have to take time out of your schedule to deal with it? Yes. But it's much better than ignoring it and letting them legally assume you are the person who owes the money and that you are refusing to pay - that will bring a world of pain down on you and is much harder to get fixed. Worst Case Scenario: If they try to tell you that your time limit for disputing is over, and you are 100% sure you don't owe the debt, send the dispute letter anyway and tell them to stop contacting you. By law they have to stop calling you and such even if the debt is valid. If they really think you owe the debt then they'll sue you. Show up in court and say that you don't owe the debt and they haven't proved you do. They either have to prove it right then and there or they lose their case. If you DO owe the debt though and you're just trying to get out of paying it, then you've screwed yourself big time with this approach.

Don't be scared of debt collectors and be courteous with them, even if they aren't with you. Find out what state they are calling from and see if their state and yours are "one party notification" states. If you are, then you can record their calls and not even tell them. If they start making false threats and cuss you out, then you have it on tape and can use it in court (both of those actions are illegal for debt collectors). Just deal with the problem in writing and it will go away. If you don't owe the debt then you have nothing to hide or get upset over as long as you do what you're supposed to in order to dispute the debt.

Best of luck,
    Chris

Marvless May 29, 2012

Contact the FTC and also your state consumer advocate office (or equivalent). EOS CCA is a scam!

• Tm
    tmbmom May 09, 2012

I have not received anything from EOS CCA...but I check my credit report monthly and today found them on my credit report. I am currently sending letters and copies of the fraud comments that I am finding online to get this removed from my report. I have lived with my parents for the past 3+ years and have had no need to use centurylink...which is a company that supplies phone and internet services. If anyone has had this on their credit and successfully had it removed please let me know what you did. I will report back if I am able to remove this from mine.