EctacoScam

Be careful if you intend to buy something from this company as I got scammed with one of their products, Voice Translator English<->Russian for Pocket PC. They claim that the software can translate your voice from English to Russian and the way around but it never worked. I contacted them and after back and forth of emails I was told that the software it was not compatible with my Pocket PC. So I asked for a refund but was told it was not possible, it is against their policies, then I asked for a replacement, a software that works even if the price was less. They replied that I had to buy the software as a discount price. After more haggling they sent me a key for a dictionary but it never worked. So I gave up. I filed a complain against them on BBB Canada, they reviewed it and contacted the company, I am waiting, it may take a few weeks.

So think twice before buying something from this company, you'd better find one who at least has the decency of giving your money back on products that don't work.

• Cu
    Customer_2008 Nov 24, 2008

We have had even worse experience with Ectaco (products ER850 Deluxe and C-pen scanner). Products were defective, Ectaco refused to accept return, which was sent on the day 6 of the "7 day customer evaluation period" with RMA number (it came back with UPS). Finally Ectaco sent incorrect information to our Credit Card. At this moment we are disputing all the charges via Credit Card. Think twice before you place any order.

• Le
    Lenny Vanderploeg Aug 22, 2017

@Customer_2008 Join ECTACO SUCKS on facebook

• Ve
    Vernon Feb 26, 2009

My name is Vernon Turner and I live in the UK. I too have been duped by Ectaco's false claims about their hardware and software. The expensive translation unit I bought is a piece of plastic trash. I wish I had your determination to get my money back, but after reading so many warnings about the hassle of getting a refund I decided to put it down to a bad experience. However, I am determined to get this company investigated. Is there a government department in the US that I can complain to? Here we have 'Trading Standards'. It has many powers to investigate false claims by sellers and to protect the rights of buyers. Is there something similar in the US I can contact?
    Hoping your own situations have been resolved.

Best wishes

Vernon
    UK

• To
    Tommyboy12 Nov 16, 2010

My Name is Tom. I had to post about my Positive experience with Ectaco.

Maybe allot has changes since a year ago but the company and the representatives were very helpful. I placed an order with them for a Vietnamese device (something around $450) and i received it but not the accessory package for the promotion. It was entirely my mistake as the item was not included because of the promotional discount i was given. They sent me the accessory package completely free of charge.

I have, and will continue to recommend Ectaco to anyone for language translation.

• Ru
    rusafed Nov 21, 2010

No change.I have a problem with ER900 Deluxe ($599.95).Not working: TOUCH SCREEN and VOICE RECORDER.
    I sent my ER900 indicating all the problems to ECTACO and I have no information, the second month.
    Mr. Boris Krol has not respoded to my emails.ECTACO do not want to fulfill WARRANTY.
    Andrey
    Portugal

• Ru
    rusafed Nov 22, 2010

Mis-use of BBB Name.
    This firm has misrepresented itself as a BBB Accredited Business on its Web site at www.ectaco.com. On November 19, 2010, the BBB requested that this firm cease and desist all unauthorized use of the BBB name and logo on its website. The BBB is awaiting the firm's response.
    THIS FIRM IS NOT CURRENTLY A BBB ACCREDITED BUSINESS with the Better Business Bureau Serving Metropolitan New York, the service area in which it is headquartered.

chipmunk Aug 11, 2011

Their Internet offers are deceptive if not fraudulent. They offer a 4 to 1 Back to School promo which includes accessories which they dont provide. They offer free delivery in the US for accessories which they dont provide. They claim there is fine print in their ads explaining why, but I havent found them. I'm sorry I didnt check the complaint board before I oredered.

• Mi
    Miguel Lopez R. Jan 27, 2014

This company is a band of burglars... I bought a ECtaco traslator ES800 English to Spanish, i received a Russian-German one (series 900), i made a complain and said that is a superior model, no reason to complain!!! But it is in cirylic alhabet for russian i replied!! at last they provie a RMA number (it took more that 10 emails and phone calls...).
    I sent the parcel, and they receive it but after the reception, they stop answering my e-mails.
    Now, two months later, they have the translator and the money (292 $), and no refund issued.

• Ca
    cathcarr Nov 16, 2015

I too was robbed by this company. Called to find out information about a product and asked if I could return it if I did not like it. They said yes. I bought the product and did not like it. When I called to send back the product, the man on the phone was incredibly rude, hung up on me twice and still have not heard back from them. I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

• Le
    Lenny Vanderploeg Aug 22, 2017

Join Ectaco sucks on facebook

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices