Dennis ChenCharging Plaintiff with his clients fees on a dismissed case

After filing eviction papers on one of my tenants, they hired attorney
Dennis Chen to represent them. Mr. Chen managed to get the case dismissed after the tenants moved out. Now he is fighting me for his fees which are outrageous. 80 hours on an eviction case. That seems a little far fetched. After attending a hearing on the attorney fees, the judge awarded him the fees, but not at 80 hours only 8 hours. I am still at a loss as to how I am liable to pay fees for an attorney that I did not hire for a case that was clearely dismissed. I'm sure my ex-tenant had no intention of paying his attorney fees just like they had no intention of paying their rent. I am already out rental fees not to mention the close to $10, 000.00 in repairs I had to make to the home upon the renter vacating and now I to have to pay their attorney fees too!!
Really doesn't seem just to me.

ChenLaw Apr 21, 2011

I am Dennis Chen. I represent tenants in eviction actions and in most cases I agree to a contingency fee where I get paid only if we are successful. If successful I will be paid by the landlord. If we lose, I do not get paid. You had two hearings before the judge. You lost and the judge awarded me fees. I claimed 8.0 hours for my time and was awarded all of the time that I claimed at a rate of $275/hr.