Windows / Failing to Stand Behind Advertised Policies

1 Valparaiso, IN, United States

Recently, my husband and I solicited our local Menards to puchase replacement windows for our home. We also purchased two doors, which fit perfectly. We discussed the selection of the windows with their young and inexperienced Millwork salersperson - albeit very pleasant. He told us to measure the windows according to the manufacturer's guidelines, which we did. Our contractor was in the process of replacing the windows and determined that the window replacements were off my nearly an inch. I researched Menards online for their policy stipulations and the site indicated that special orders were subject to a 15% restock fee if the respective store allowed. Armed with that information, I contacted the Millwork department again and was informed that a manager would be calling. I received the call from the manager who informed me that he would be glad to accept a return - subject to a 40% restock fee. When I questioned why the restock fee was much higher than indicated - the manager informed me in a very rude manner that he was doing me a favor and, "he did not have to accept the items back at all."
When I asked for corporarate's phone number, he informed me that there was no phone number and to voice my complaint via the online complaint form (for someone inexperienced with the computer, the complaint form is very difficult to find and almost concealed). Further, he stated, "they will not do anything." I followed his instructions and after two weeks of hearing absolutely nothing, completed a written "Installed Complaint Form" attaching a letter directed to the corporate office. I indicated in my letter that I felt they had engaged in deceptive trade practices, not to mention possible violations of the Uniform Commercial Code and I was sure that there were others similarly situated who may be interested in collectively voicing their claims. I received the very same response as many others - "It is up to the store manager to make the determination, the restock fee was at their discretion, and they agreed with the store manager. We will never do business with them again and I agree with others that they will eventually pay for the lack of customer service. Have to question a company that does not have a phone contact and essentially hides any mode of online contact to voice complaints.