Westinghouse LCD TV SK-19H210S / Product Quality

1 WI, United States Review updated:

I bought a 19" Westinghouse LCD TV late last summer. It worked fine until one day a month ago. It was only 14 months old. All of sudden it stopped working. A call to Westinghouse's customer service department resulted in a quick diagnosis: a back light problem. Westinghouse would offer no help in solving the problem as the TV was beyond its one year warranty. Westinghouse used to have a very good name attached to very good electrical products, from appliance to large commercial electrical equipment. My brother worked for the "old" Westinghouse Company for 25 yrs. Unfortunately, Westinghouse is no longer the same company today and obviously the "old" name doesn't mean the same as the current name. I will not buy another Westinghouse product in the foreseable future. I have 3 other TV's in the house. All of them are 8+ years old and all work fine. None of them are Westinghouse brand. They are all Japanese brands. When I was a child, "Made in Japan" meant cheap. Over time the Japanese companies learned how making quality products could mean more profits. Now, "Made in Japan" means quality, better quality than products of even US companies. Apparently the US companies have turned to China to make cheap electronic components for them. "Made in the US" is becoming to mean "cheap". The US companies had best learn quickly the meaning and importance of quality. I will be sticking with "Made in Japan" because today it means "QUALITY". And it doesn't make sense to pay an additional 25% for repair insurance. Just to get a product repaired under that insurance is a hassel.

Ge

Comments

• Ap
      10th of Jan, 2009

We bought this tv about a year and a half ago and it has stopped working. We were watching a movie a few nights ago and the TV shut off in the middle of the movie and will not turn back on. We have tried several different outlets and cords but still no luck. The most frustrating part is that WE RARELY USED THIS TV and it still quit working. Now we have no warranty since it ran out at the one year mark. We will never buy another Westinghouse again. We have a Panasonic TV that we bought over 9 years ago that is still running like a champ and we also have a Sony that works great after 4 years. We use them all the time and will stick with them in the future!

21st of Jan, 2009

I also have a Westinghouse SK-19H210S HDTV that quit working 18 days after the one year warranty was up. Same response from Westinghouse as you. Sorry, but its out of the one year warranty. My problem is that the digital tv tuner quit working. The analog side works just fine of course. Another thing that was aggravating is that now that it is out of warranty they knew exactly when I bought the tv. When I called months earlier with a different problem they told me I had to have my receipt to be able to get it worked on. Sounds like to me they knew exactly when I had bought the tv and didn't tell me because it would have been under warranty. What really annoyed me about the tech service call was that they had the temerity to tell me to get a converter box so i could still use the analog tuner after Feb. 17th. What a joke. I bought a digital tv for a reason. Does the average person think that the converter boxes will make their old tvs digital? If you do you're going to be in for a surprise because that converter box is not an "upgrade" like they advertise.

• Bd
      20th of May, 2009

I bought this Westing house TV and like others above, it crapped out just after the warrany was up. It is completely dead. first it was just a blue screen. Then all I'd get was the blue power light, then nothing. Westinghouse customer support was completely useless and uncaring to represent or back up their product. I will NEVER buy a Westinghouse product again and you shouldn't either. I have had, and currently have 8 tv's (for years now) of other makes and there is never a problem. These other manufacturer's back upi their products too. Farewell Westinghouse ! And may you yield up your customers to other companies who care, so that we can all end up with quality products instead of headaches.

• Cd
      21st of May, 2009

I also bought this same Westinghouse model. I knew it was a cheap tv when I bought it from Best Buy 14 months ago, but I had no idea it was this crappy! If I would have spent $100 more I could have purchased a more reliable Toshiba or at least a step up. My issue with this tv is that it will not power on. I get the blue power light on the front of the tv, but it almost immediately shuts off, with no picture or sound. I haven't even called Westinghouse support because I know what they will say - based on previous posts. I guess this experience will teach my cheap ### ### from buying a $300 Westinghouse TV!

• Rf
      21st of May, 2009

I too purchased this product, a SK19H210S, 14 months ago and it completely stopped working. After waiting on the phone for over an hour for Customer Service help, I was told "too bad, its the LCD age". I didn't expect replacement two months after the warranty expired. However, I hoped that Westinghouse would be concerned that a $300+ unit didn't last but 14 months and would offer encouragement for me to stay with Westinghouse by use of some discount program or to run like hell from it! My conclusion in to RUN! And I will encourage others to do likewise!

Anyone out there interested in a class action suit?

• De
      31st of May, 2009

Hello RF Smith,

I am interested in joining you for a class action suit. My Westinghouse TV was also 14 months old when the power just quit. Westinghouse customer service basically said too bad...no warranty. Contact me @ msicily39@verizon.net.

• El
      5th of Jun, 2009

Mine failed just like the others at 13 months. So disappointed in Westinghouse and will avoid them in the future. It replaced a Sony that lasted 18 yrs. Should have stuck with Sony!

• Me
      5th of Jun, 2009

Wow, people, this is not a coincidence. We as consumers have a responsibility to act against companies like this. I was so surprised to read these complaints and find the EXACT same problem as my SK-19H210S WestingCRAP. Mine is 13 months old and it will not turn on. I have no idea how to start a class action suit, but I feel that one is warranted for this specific television model. I also own a Westinghouse 22" computer monitor that has been faithful for 7 years. Westinghouse definitely has a problem with this 19" LCDTV and they are going to have to repair them! We don't want money from their company, we want a reliable product that won't crap out 1-4 months after the warranty expires!! If anyone does know how to initiate a class action suit, please let us know!

• St
      11th of Jun, 2009

I was rescaning for new channels on the TV it scanned all of the channels on analog and digital and then went to save where it locked up. I let it go for over a half hour. I finnally had to power cycle it. Now it only shows the standard channels no DTV. If I rescan it hangs when it gets to DTV and never finishes. Ive used all the resets I can find in the menus and I have power cycled multiple times.

12th of Jun, 2009

Same story here, 15 months, hardly used and just stopped working. I am interested in a class action if that happens!!

• Ri
      17th of Jun, 2009

Wow, I'm shocked by these comments. My Westinghouse sk-19h210s is 15 months old and just stopped working, just like the rest of the reviews state. I tapped the back of it and it came on. That "fixed" the problem for about one week. Last night is died for good. I paid over $300 for mine. I am going to give customer service a try...

• Op
      18th of Jun, 2009

Has anyone had this piece of junk serviced? Count me in on the class action.

• Pr
      23rd of Jun, 2009

My son's Westinghouse TV quit one day after the warrantee. He bought it with his own money for $429. We were quoted a fix for $330. Westinghouse customer service was not at all helpful. "one day over is one day over." And they will not discuss "poor parts/labor qualtiy." My 20 year old son will never purchase one of their products again because of how they treated the customer. He's told all his friends about it, too. (not so hard since they cannot game in his room on it.) Westinghouse won't be selling any of them TVs.

Class action suit? Based upon the incredible number of complaints easily found online about Westinghouse TV's and monitors, we'd be in.
    proman0500@hotmail.com

• De
      27th of Jun, 2009

My tv is less than a year old.Three weeks ago I had the picture gone and then sound and finally both. Un plugging and fiddling kept it working for while but it is totally dead in the water now. All that money for less than a year and I know if I send it back or whatever I have to do to get it fixed, it will take forever. It won't turn on.count me in on a class action suit. emailme at denipeters@aol.com if one gets filed. Thanks

6th of Jul, 2009

Yep, happened to mine too. You can go rate it down at Amazon.com if you want:

A technician at this link explains it has to do with a cold solder process and that this kind of failure is common when using it:

...you gotta be freaking kidding me. So now I have to know about manufacturing processes before I buy a TV to make sure it was made well? What the hell is wrong with the world? I'm sure the college kid camping the register at Best Buy will have no clue what I'm talking about when I ask him whether the TV manufacturer uses the wave soldering process. I bet Westinghouse outsources all this to China or India. I bet they are saying, "Hey, let's make the American's pay for our crappy handy work. Not only will we get their precious piles of money but we'll be socking it to them in 14 months when their TV takes a curry flavored crap on them." Thanks poonjab. Roo reary rucky guy.

• Fl
      9th of Jul, 2009

My TV was purchased 16 months ago. Experienced the same lousy failure. Westinghouse is off my list as well. I've called their customer service numerous times, but can only leave a voice message that is never returned. This company should be turned over to the Better Business Bureau.

17th of Jul, 2009

Same problem as all here. Locked up so i power cycled and then I couldn't use hdmi or vga inputs finally it just wouldn't turn on. I have no idea how this class action suit works but I definitely feel that something needs to be done to rectify this mass issue.
    -jakelwebster@yahoo.com

• Di
      19th of Jul, 2009

I'm all for a class action suit as well, got the tv back in December 2007, and August 2009, it stops working. I can get it to come on eventually, but later, it will not come right back on and have to fiddle with it to make it work. I tried to locate the recepit for it to find out whether or not my credit card might have offered an extended warranty, but this it total ###(sorry but it is) that a lcd will not last 2 years. I have not even called westinghouse because I know it is out of warranty and it want help probably!!!

If there is a suit, please let me know the info on it, onebadsob3@yahoo.com

• Ug
      19th of Jul, 2009

The wife and I are in the same boat, with the same Westinghouse flat screen the quit right after the warranty
    was up. Never again will we buy Westinghouse. ugly@new.rr.com

• Di
      24th of Jul, 2009

Ditto, ditto, ditto. My Westinghouse TV was located in a seldom used guest bedroom and just quit working. I'm in for a class action lawsuit if it gets rolling. Does anyone know how to forward this link to the Westinghouse Customer Service or to some top level brass. Not that they would read it, but if a lawsuit gets rolling, they can't say they never heard about the problem.