Virgin Broadband / technical & customer service

1 Adelaide, South Australia, Australia Review updated:

Only trouble... i was running out of credit (the built in balance check on the modem showed me I was still ok). Calling into the callcenter I was told I had to check my balance online to get a accurate reading. What is the built in balance check in the modem then good for ? - "no thats a suppliers's fault", they cannot fix it. Eventually I was hung up on on simply asking 'Why is this the case ? '. I must admit - I was asking this question repeatedly...and the poor girl (Natalie) probably wasn't trained for that...
So is the modem right or the provider online ?? - Take your pick to who you are paying your money for nothing... What ### is that ? Would you accept Daimler Benz telling you that there is nothing they can do about the suppliers brake system failing ???? F...ing ###. I am an engineer and my philosophy is - if there is a problem, fix it - otherwise it's gonna bite you later big time. I cannot accept excuses from "recepionists" - that's the only people I was allowed to talk to - not a single so called "teamleader" or supervisor had the courage to call me back about this issue. On top of that Virgin seems to have some ""technical"" problems whenever I was topping up. Not one of my prepaid vouchers went through straightaway.
If you know a lawyer waiting for stuff like that to make some money - here's my email: b2indurbs@yahoo.com. I am ready for some a-kicking. Please have him contact me.

Eventually I switched to 3. Half the speed but no trouble so far except in the evenings it's a little bit slow... but I can live with that.

Comments

• Va
      27th of Oct, 2008
    Virgin Broadband - Unhappy with Virgin Broadband
    Virgin Broadband
    virgin.net

I have been very unhappy with Virgin Broadband, they have been very hard to contact even via their premium rate number. When I do finally get through I just seem to get through to complaints and they put me to any other department to get rid of me. I would never use quick start package again, came late and for me never worked after 4 hours on the phone to them. In my experience the supposed 6 meg runs at best at 1.5 meg...

• Wa
      12th of Feb, 2009

I'll keep it quick. AVOID VIRGIN BROADBAND LIKE THE PLAGUE. It was great for the first 6 months and then they oversold their service. That was about the time that the television ads that were playing in my area stopped (Central Coast of NSW). I ended up with dialup speed at best and then that would cut out when I picked up the phone.

I know they say it's for home use only but silly me thought I'd use it for my home business as it was such a cheap option. Well that was a bit of mistake as eventually I ended up losing 2 of my biggest clients because I couldn't get online or not quickly enough (or not at all for 3 days straight).

In the end, upon their request, I had to go and get a Virgin sim card to put into my phone just so that I could ring customer support. They did credit this against my account, but I had to go and get it from the local Optus shop 7 kms away.

After what would have been at least 6 or 7 hours on the phone over 3 days the finally stopped trying to tell me it was my fault and/or trying to to convince me that a NEW Virgin modem would fix everything they finally let me out of the contract. Now they made such a big fuss of letting me know that they weren't going to charge me an exit fee they seemed to have forgotten that they were actually in breach of contract and has ABSOLUTELY misrepresented themselves in terms of the quality of their service.

But what I think is my favourite part is that they're now trying to get another $75 out of me for the month of December 2008 (At the time of writing it's February 2009) that they'd forgotten to bill me for at the time. It was during this time that it was running at dialup speed, if I was lucky, and I'd have to have it download client files overnight instead of in a Flash. It was also the time that I ended up spending a lot of time and money at my local Internet cafe.

Before ending my time with Virgin Broadband I had to get a landline installed at additional expense - I won't mention the company that I have my landline with but I haven't had a problem with it in the slightest in any way from day 1.

When the courier came around to pick up the Virgin Broadband modem that I had to send back he told me that he was picking up between 30 and 35 a day (even if I heard wrong and it was 30 - 35 a week, that's still a LOT!). I didn't believe him at first until I looked in the back of his Econovan when he open the door and there were heaps of them!

My big mistake (apart from actually signing up with them in the first place) was using the modem when all I could get was dialup speed as this has pretty much squashed my case with the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

I've had dodgy service from companies in the past but I think the thing that really got up my goat was the lies, lies and more lies from their support people about how there was nothing wrong with their service (in my area). To be fair I'm well aware that all but the actual supervisors are just reading what they're told to and don't really have a clue about their service apart from what comes out of their training manual.

Now I'm not saying that somewhere out there people might be getting reliable connection and decent customer service - It just wasn't my experience.

Want more details? (cause there's more!) - email me or tell me about your bad virgin broadband experience. - wanderingstar@eml.cc

• Mr
      18th of Dec, 2009

totally agree fradulent rip off merchants...got market cornered where I live in uk...they know BT wont repair the 30year old lines so its fibre optic or nothing at all...neither are worth spit

• Tp
      16th of Aug, 2010

I am not on virgin broadband. Unfortunately my mum is. Her email has been down more times in the last month than in any other time. My friend (who also has virgin broadband) can't even get connected. Upon phoning technical support, they just say "login to your router. Now type 'admin' as the username and 'admin' as the password"... HANG ON. This feels like you are reading from a script! The first thing anyone does when they have a router is change the login username and password to make it secure. Imaging if we all just left it as admin admin... hell! Anyway, so I log in to the router and then she tells me to click on a tab (which isn't there of course). I explain again that it's not a BT router. "Oh, well that must be the problem then". No, the problem is you don't have a clue about other makes and models of router!

I am with plusnet. They have been brilliant and i've never once had any downtime. Speeds have been consistent with what my local exchange can support, so I don't expect any higher than 4MB/SEC which is what I get (well, 3.8MB/SEC at peak times) but that's as low as it's ever been. I didn't even have to have any special router. I just walked in to a shop and bought any old one. This is a D-LINK. I put in the settings (username, pass, VCI etc) and I am away. No fuss. No hassle. How it should be.