Value max / Unauthorized charges to my checking account

A company named Value Max, which is supposedly some kind of savings service for all kinds of different services, has taken $19.95 out of my checking account. Which also caused me $35.00 in insufficient funds fees and a bank service charge of $10.00 - a total of $64.95. Has anybody heard of this company? I want my money back immediately! How do I go about getting my money back?

Comments

• Ti
      14th of Aug, 2008

The phone number for ValueMax is 1-888-205-2257. I had the same problem. Apparently I had used a website called Intelius for a people search and they started charging my account 19.95 a month just like you. The will stop collecting with no problem if you give them a call. You'll have to give them your bank card number because I'm sure like me, you don't have an account number for them.

• Ju
      15th of Aug, 2008

After your 7-day FREE trial period, it's just $19.95 per month,
    automatically charged/debited to the card on file with us. Remember, you can call us toll-free at 1-888-205-2257 within the first 7 days to cancel, and you will not be charged/debited.

Terms of service are a great thing!

• Pe
      14th of Sep, 2008

I CONTACTED MY BANK AND REPORTED UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES..THEY ARE REVERSING THE CHARGE

• Br
      20th of Sep, 2008

I just had the exact same problem. Things like this are a scam. Damn you, ValueMax!

• Jc
      3rd of Oct, 2008
    Value Max - Fradulently billed
    Value Max
    1-888-205-2257
    Illinois

This company has charged my credit card for services never rendered. They have now charged my card twice. I have tried to contact them and have been unsuccessful in resolving this issue. I have filed a dispute with my bank.

• Me
      6th of Oct, 2008

Wow! I did the people search thing 2, how do they get away with this? I'm still trying to figure out how I applied at least that's what the man told me on the phone, he had all my information. stuff like this is really scary. the only good thing is they refund your money back with no problem but that's if you catch them in time.

• Ph
      10th of Oct, 2008

They put charges on my credit card and I didn't even know what the company was. I used web site Intelius also and then about a week later a charge for valuemax appeared as a charge on my credit card. I think both companies must be scam artists. Intelius for giving my credit card information and Valuemax for charging me for something I did not order. I had a stop put on my credit card and now I will be very leery of ordering anything online.

• Br
      16th of Oct, 2008

Another one bites the dust ... I used Intellius, didn't get much information, but still paid the $21.45 I agreed to. A week later I received a letter throught USPS "Welcome to ValueMax". I tossed it thinking it was a scam to get me to their site to buy something. Just now I checked my AmEx statement to find a $19.95 fee for a ValueMax subscription AND $19.95 for an Intellius subscription. Given that the Intellius report I wanted and agreed to pay for was really worthless, containing only bits of information, some of which were 10 years old, I think they are both scams too! The good thing about AmEx, they'll reverse the charges and they'll contact these idiots to stop the recurring subscription fees.

• Al
      27th of Oct, 2008

This is what I got from them and I also did a one time check yesterday with Intelius, I sent a note to my online bank account customer service. Letting them know I did not such charge. I hope that the Better Business Bureau does somethng about this. Intelius should not be doing this. Here is a copy of what they sent me. 1st Notice than the one they sent me after I called and them and canceled through the phone automated service. I hope I covered all my bases. SEE BELOW:

FIRST NOTICE:
    Welcome! You are receiving this email because you accepted a special offer to save money through the ValueMaxSM savings service. With your ValueMax membership you now have a terrific opportunity to save on the things you use every day -- in every area of your life. This robust collection of benefits covers everything from Dining & Travel, to Health, to Home & Auto and more. Just take a moment to browse the ValueMax website and see how you can start at saving from major retailers today!

Claim your gift!
    To claim your gift, simply log on to www.valuemax123.com and click on the "Claim Your Free Gift" link.

Start saving right now -- simply go to the URL below!
    www.valuemax123.com

For your reference, your membership ID# is: ?????????

Here are just some of the benefits and savings that await you:

l Save 20% on dining out at participating popular restaurants such as Olive Garden(R)1 and Outback Steakhouse(R) with gift cards purchased through ValueMax.

l Save up to 30% on car rentals -- through specially negotiated ValueMax discounts with Alamo(R), Budget(R) National Car Rental(R) Hertz(R), Avis(R) and Carey Worldwide Chauffeured Services. Simply call the toll-free number provided on our website for the latest rates.

l Save 20% at Linens 'n Things, Bed, Bath & Beyond(R) and other retailers with gift cards purchased through ValueMax.
    Be sure to log into your account at www.valuemax123.com to print out your membership card for immediate access to all your benefits. It's easy to find -- just look for the My Account section tab in the upper right-hand corner of the ValueMax website.
    All of these benefits -- and many others -- are fully explained on the ValueMax website.

So take advantage of your ValueMax benefits during your 7-day trial membership period. We invite you to use our services for the full 7-day trial period. If within 7 days you don't feel that our services and benefits are everything we say they are, simply call us toll-free at 888-205-2257 to cancel your membership. ValueMax will automatically charge the membership fee to your card at the end of your 7-day trial period and, unless you call to cancel, at the then-current fee each new membership month.

Important: Please save this email for future reference, and bookmark www.valuemax123.com for instant access to your benefits.

Sincerely,

SECOND NOTICE:

This email confirms that your membership in ValueMax has been cancelled per your membership terms. Your cancellation confirmation number is ????????????. You do not need to do anything else to cancel your membership.

We thank you for your interest in ValueMax, and we hope your membership experience was a positive one.

If you have any comments or suggestions that might help us better serve our members, please feel free to email us at membershipservices@valuemax123.com.

Sincerely,
    ValueMax
    Member Savings

CAN YOU BELIVE THESE PEOPLE?
    TICKED OFF... Writing from California.

• Ty
      28th of Oct, 2008

I have no Idea what I'm being charged 19.99 for .I want an explanation, My money returned or I goto my attorney now!!

• Ty
      28th of Oct, 2008

• Bl
      29th of Oct, 2008

I had 5 of these charges appear on my statement all for 29.95 and all on the same day. Its funny that when you call, the first option on the recording is an offer to cancel your subscription. Its like they are expecting you. I refused to go through the automated system. I wanted to not only cancel, but get a refund. I pressed '0' and got someone. They used textbook customer service language from the chapter, “How to handle the angry consumer”, i.e., “what may I do for you today, ma’am”. I called 4 of the 5 DIFFERENT "800"and "888" phone numbers listed on my statement ; Value Max, Deal Max and one that, ironically so, was an credit/identity theft watcher service. By the time I got to the 4th one, I was speaking to the lady I spoke to at the first one !!! She said that there were 7 accounts for me. I guess I cancelled the card too fast for the other two charges. I only found out because my bank sent an email about activity on my account that was "unusual". (Yea Bank Of America) I don’t know how these people are allowed to do this. But if people only cancel the subscription, and not demand the refund, they are making a lot of 29.95’s for no service. At least some of you go some type of paperwork in the mail alerting you. My charges appeared on the 10/16. I have yet to get anything warning me of the impending doom. You’d think one of the 7 would have sent something during the “7-day free period”.

• Rh
      1st of Nov, 2008

valumax and other companys like them get your debt/cc# when you enter a site to place and order or do a web search such as the examples from others then if you click on any banner your debit/cc# and personal info is transfered to that new site with out you autherizing it then on your statment you will start to see fraudulent charges for many different companys you never gave your info to.there need to be a stop but to this .these companys are stealling from you, me and the banks and getting away with it.

• Sh
      13th of Nov, 2008

Rec'd "Irregular Activity" notice from my bank. Called immediately to learn about numerous small charges attempted. Confirmed that all charges were not authorized (acct was idle for over 6 months). Bank closed account and fraud dept is investigating these companies: ValueMax, YourSavingsClub, 24Protect and Todays Escapes+. One week later, I rec'd 4 letters in the mail, each a form letter indicating "Our attempt to email membership materials to email address provided was unsuccessful." One form letter was rec'd from each of the following: ValueMax, YourSavingsClub, 24Protect and Todays Escapes+. All letters originated from POBox 5152, Des Plaines, IL 60017-5152. Although bank resolved the situation - I still called each number on each letter and via the automated service learned that each of the 4 memberships was cancelled (on the same day I contacted my bank). Congratulations Bank of America, for actually doing a good service for your customers.

• Sh
      13th of Nov, 2008

And more helpful information:
    -when searching "ValueMax" saving service on the internet
    the company website does not come up first, a complaint board does!

-the "ValueMax" website is: www.valuemax-program.com
    one look at the website should set off alarm bells.

-"ValueMax" is apparently owned/operated by Adaptive Marketing, LLC, located in Norwalk, CT
    Adaptive Marketing, LLC's website is: http://www.vertrue.com/adaptivemarketing.asp

20th of Nov, 2008

I too used Intelius in October...and just had this Valuemax charge of $19.95 show up on my account...I also had to have Intelius refund me there $19.95 fee they'd charged me without notice as well. These people are scammers and crooks, you should make sure to cancel all accounts with them if you've started one.

• Ri
      24th of Nov, 2008

today is nov.24.2008 i was just charged 19.95 that was unauthorized after a price of $ 1.99 on an internet search Value Max / Intelius- Intelius people search . This is an unauthorized fee . Told Value Max (who you can internet search )we were calling the state attorney general and they told us how to get it refunded. this is internet mis -leading pricing and perhaps if enough of people report this as internet fraud( interstate commerce ) this might be a federal offense that we could report to the United States Attorney General.
    If thousands of people are using this service and only a few are noticing the charge think of the money they are making. Remeber the words STATE ATTORNEY GENERALS OFFICE ! They don't seem to like that !
    Please report as necessary this is probably some cheap call center paying people only if they rip others off !

• Ed
      27th of Nov, 2008

I used Intellius to find an old friend early last week. Well, the scammers at valuemax123.com got my CC info and have charged my account $19.95 twice in the past two days. I canceled my "account' at valuemax123.com and contacted my back to get the charges reversed. I can't believe how people operate like this. They are stealing money and it needs to be stopped!

• Am
      1st of Dec, 2008

I too had this issue. I checked my credit card activity and saw a charge for $19.95. I called them and they asking me for an account number or the credit card I used to sign up. I told I didn't sign up for this, so one I didn't have a membership number and two there was NO WAY I was giving out my credit card information. He said right away he would cancel the membership and refund the money and that it might take 3 to 3 days for this transaction. I'm furious because I didn't sign up for this. I can't understand how they can get away with this???
    It's crazy! Oh well another 10 minutes of my time lost due to scammers!

• Ro
      2nd of Dec, 2008

I am glad that I check my account daily, you have to do that when you don't have a lot of money to begin with.I noticed the charge and for once the family and I didn"t really do any purchases over week-end to that amount and said company
    Got new card # and filled form to reverse charge, also called company with number furnished by "TIM" and thanks for info.