Universal Gas & Electric / Gathering people for class action!

2138 OaknollAuburn Hills, MI, United States Review updated:
Phone: 2484540357
Hi. I am having the same problem all of you have with this company. Seems like they lied and took money from all of us. We tried to contact them and they fed us a line of bull so I'm trying to get everyone who is interested, into a class action lawsuit. I'm going on a risky limb here but please email me directly at Luvinpce@aol.com so I can start gathering everyones input and contact info.

Not to worry, I'm just a stay at home mom of 3 boys and my husband works too hard for his money to be going to these people. We are paying $70-$100 per month more than we should!!

Comments

Sh
  1st of Apr, 2008
Hi, I just recently spoken with DTE Energy about my gas bill. DTE explained to me that I am paying .30 more on my gas bill, since I signed up with Universal Gas. Universal Gas told me I would save more money and they lied. The company is running scams on honest and hard working families. The representative at Universal tole me I had to pay a 250.00 fee to cancel my service, which I believe is ridiculous! This company needs to be investigated and a complaint needs to be processed.
Re
  6th of Apr, 2008
I got scamed what can i do
Lm
  17th of Jun, 2008
I want to know if there is a class action lawsuit I can join. These people lied and our state government is protecting this Canadian company.. Our governor is from Canada...makes me wonder
St
  24th of Jul, 2008
I got scammed too. Complained to every government organization I could and got the cancelation fee waived. Still cost me $100 extra bucks though. I went as far as to seeing what my legal rights in Canada would be (I am Canadian) talked with my uncle who is a lawyer in Toronto and he said they were in good standing there publicly traded and all, but that there was nothing I could do there. I hope that someone files a glass action so I can get some of my money back.
  28th of Jan, 2009
I am getting ripped off by Universal Gas and Electric. I am paying over 25% more than I should for my gas bill. I am also gathering information for a class action lawsuit. Please contact me at hanse1cj@cmich.edu.
Mn
  3rd of Feb, 2009
My wife and I just found out about this scam. Our Energy Bills have gone up horribly this winter and we can barely pay our bills. We had never had a bill over 300 dollars in 3 years. Our last2 have been 400 and 450 and part of this that Universal. I remember the sales guy told us we could cancel at any time and mentioned how much we would save. We are called the Attorney General's Office andwere told to call the MPSC at 800-292-9555. We called and the guy taking the complaint didn't sound too enthused and was like did you read the contract. I wouldn't have signed the contract had the cancellation fee been explained duhh it was misleading. Their license has been revoked and they are being taken to court. We would definitely be interested in any information about a class action suit or any other options available. e-mail is octnhcug@aol.com

Thanks
Ja
  10th of Mar, 2009
i too agree with all comments that have made.i too fill as if i have been ripped off''
Be
  13th of Mar, 2009
Wow, I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I wish I never opened my door that day. I've been up to my eyeballs in bills since I got sacmmed by this company
Ah
  25th of Mar, 2009
i wish someone would get a lawsuit going fast. there has to be some attornoy that will take this on .for nothing to save all of us from these crooks.
Ly
  7th of Oct, 2009
Please, If you have a complaint, call the number listed below. There was a lawsuit against Universal Gas and Electric for all of their lies of how your current utility company is going to go up 250% and how you can get the lower price if gas does go down. They don't explain that includes signing a new contract for ANOTHER FIVE YEARS!!
Besides, waiting over 30 days to send out the information packet to go with the contract you already signed.

Contact: Michigan Pupblic Service Commission Approves Settlement Agreement in Formal Complaint Against Universal Gas & Electric Corporation
Contact: Judy Palnau (517) 241-3323
Ch
  13th of Oct, 2009
I agree I was ripped off by Universal gas as well. every winter my bills seem 2 go into shut off cause of Universal Gas.. something needs 2 be done.
Ja
  8th of Aug, 2010
I too have fallen victim. I was just visited by another company that stated that a 5 years contract is illegal in Michigan. I also was told about the $250.00 early termination fee. I crunched some numbers and I can actually save over twice as much if I terminate early! I too would like to be a part of this lawsuit!
Dr
  29th of Oct, 2010
I was also a victim, When they came to my house the first time i told them no and they are not seeing my bill.
They came back when i was not home and asked my wife and bam they got our account # and switched our gas.
Here is how i got out of paying the $250 fee + $250 Early Fee for canceling.
If you are within the 30 days of them signing you up you can cancel no fee.
If you are not, do the following if you can.
1) Pay current on your bill.
2) Call your supplier (consumers energy, Dte, Other. If they ask why I'm moving nothing else)
tell them you want to transfer your gas to someone else.
Someone that does not have the same last name as you. Universal will try to call and collect after the switch.
They tried twice, I told them they (we) moved never heard from them again. Nothing NaDa
You Can Change back to your name in about 8 Months or so.
Lo
  21st of Jan, 2011
I am ready to jump on a Class Action Suit if anyone has one filed! They are some scammers and just so you all know, they were bought out by another Canadian Company called "Just Energy". They told me the cancellation fee would be $58.99 and I told them it would be the best money I ever spent if I got rid of them for good. So I went and purchased a bank certified check and mailed it the same day. A week later I got a notice from a collection agency in Alabama for the $58.99. I called all of them: the collection agency said they did not inquire any proof from their clients, and the people at Just Energy said that was just they way their system was set up. Scammers!!!
Wi
  12th of Feb, 2011
These people are awful. They will do whatever it takes to get you to sign up. (including lie) I had no idea that i had even signed a contract.
This company has been investigated, TV (20-20) 2006 I believe.What they do is legal because they trick you. They tell you need to sign a paper to verify you want U.G.E.company to supply your gas. What you actually sign is a contract. I am sure this Just Energy Co. is actually universal gas and electric pulling a fast one.
Please, if a class action lay suit is filed i'm in. I'm tired of freezing because i cant afford to pay this high cost.
People say when times are bad, crooks pray on the weak or poor through fear.
  29th of Mar, 2011
This company is a total scam. I dont even have a working furnace, I am heating my house with a fireplace and getting charged from this company for something I won't even use. If there is a lawsuit I want in. Thanks ladymannn1951@yahoo.com
  29th of Mar, 2011
This company scams people into paying higher prices for gas even though the original company of Consumer's Energy is only charing less than half of what this place is. I dont even have a working furnace in my home and I will never use what they are charging me.
He
  28th of Sep, 2011
I got ripped of by them also. I have no gas in our home it was shut off due to the bill being too high for us to pay. Now Dte says we can not even get on a payment plan and winter is coming soon. I just don't know what we are going to do.