United Financial Systems / Unauthorized charges

This is an account of our experiences with United Financial Systems, a company that we turned to to help us manage our credit card debt. There are many companies out there today who offer this, and by their website, UFS looked like a good choice.

While using them we found out that: 1) they don't send you a statement showing how much they paid your creditors or when-- EVER-- unless you ask for it 2) they take your money out of your bank account every month on the same day, yet their payments to creditors vary widely, and sometimes take an ENTIRE MONTH-- which is ridiculous. 3) Because of this, we had late payments almost every month on most accounts, despite changing due dates and making extra payments on our own. 4) It's extremely difficult to contact anyone at the company, and they NEVER reach out to communicate with you--- their expertly trained credit counselors? forget it.

We're trying to cancel our agreement with them and find some other organization who will actually be helpful. I can only imagine what a hassle canceling them will be.

Based on this company's poor performance, I would never recommend them to anyone.

Sa

Comments

• Lj
      29th of Apr, 2009

UFS has been negligent in refunding us a NSF fee at our bank, due to their error of attempting to debit the wrong amount from our account. We have been waiting for almost 3 months for the company to issue this refund. In the meantime, our credit score has suffered due to the error, since the amount they tried to debit wasn't available. We have been playing catch-up since then to make timely payments. All of this is in addition to the lies they told us at the beginning of our contract, regarding an improved credit score and re-aging of accounts. I am filing complaints to the BBB and the state attorney's office.

• Du
      13th of May, 2009

I have had the same experience with them. They withdraw the money on the same day of the month from your account, however, they do not pay the creditors on time. Sometimes they will pay them over 3 weeks late. I have been dropped from the program by two of the creditors because in 4 months, UFS submitted 2 of the 4 payments (to both creditors) 3 weeks late.

When you call UFS you will get the "phone game" runaround and then they make up reasons for the issue such as "we wired the money to them and it shouldn't take more than 3 days to post, we are not sure what the cc companies have done", or "We will call the cc companies to see what the problem is and get back to you" To even be able to speak to someone about the issue at UFS you pretty much have to threaten to file a report with the BBB, otherwise you won't get very far.

I always paid the cc companies on time and sent the payments electronically. The cc companies never had issues receiving them before and they were also posted just fine by the cc companies when I sent the payments. I find it hard to believe that both creditors continue to make the same "mistakes" and are not posting the payments correctly when UFS sends them--- my conclusion is that what UFS tells me must not be the truth.

I took matters in my own hands and negotiated the terms with the cc company's on my own. The programs they will make available to you will pretty much get you just as good of a rate and reasonable payment amount as you were able to get with UFS and here is the kicker...you get to submit the payment ONTIME on your own!!! No more will you have to send the payment to UFS 3 weeks ahead of time only for them to make your payment 3 weeks late (thus destroying your credit!) Don't wait for the problem to get worse call you cc companies and tell them the situation adn that you would like to speak to someone that can put you on a program on your own!

• Ni
      21st of Jan, 2010

I just had the worst experience with this company, they took my money gave a 4-month run-around. I had 3 different representatives because of their turnover, none on whom did anything on my behalf, finally when I asked for my money I was told that I signed a contract and since I've talked to 3 people already there was nothing they could do. So basically they just took my money. I'm furious! Is there anyone in that organization I could contact, they won't let me speak with their superiors

• Bo
      3rd of Mar, 2010

My experiences with this company mirror those previously posted. This company is unbelievably bad ... since October 2007 (it's now March 2009) I've had problem after problem with them. Oh, yes, the funds will be withdrawn from my account in a timely fashion every month but where the dispersal ends up is anyone's guess. It's IMPOSSIBLE to reach a representative directly and the phone system sucks! I FAX, e-mail and try leaving voice messages (good luck with that!). The late payments to creditors is happening more and more and my credit report has nosedived. I was told that initially, the first two or three months cause cause it to take a hit but it would quickly recover. Wrong! It's much lower now than before I entered the program. I've never missed a payment to UFS but have suffered from their incompetence in however their system works.

I'll be contacting the BBB and Florida Attorney General's office very soon unless they give me satisfaction, which I doubt they will. Currently, I have many unresloved issues from weeks ago.

Yes, I take responsibility from getting myself into this debt but made a concerted effort to rectify things. It's a shame there are companies like UFS out there preying on those who allowed themselves into such a predicament. There should be a class action lawsuit against companies like this.

Peter S.
    New Haven, CT

• Ge
      22nd of Jun, 2010

They are collecting my payments and are not paying the credit cards this is the second time this has happen, i'm canceling them out

• De
      15th of Sep, 2010

I too have had these same problems with UFS. Have also threatened BBB and Attorney General on them. Over the last 18 months they have been late several times, thank god I went ahead and paid the minimum payments on time myself so at least my credit wouldnt be ruined. so far they are yet to pay what they withdrew from my account on July 21 and August 21 which is a monthly payment of 276.00. That is a buttload of money if you ask me. I have cancelled my agreement with them and will be calling the above places and filing a complaint. UFS SUCKS!!!

Denise Reynolds. Nebraska.

20th of Sep, 2010

Having the same issues!!! I have credit card companies calling and telling me the payments are 3-4 months behind. Trying to get answers is impossible. I've repeatedly asked for an accounting of what has been paid to the credit card companies. They sent me a print out showing the payments I've made to them. I already know what I've paid them!! They take the same amount from my checking account every month. One company cancelled my agreement. When I called USF they told me it was a ploy by the Credit Card company so I would make payment arrangements with them instead of USF. It was a crock they cancelled it because USF didn't pay them. At my wits end. I'm sick over this. They've ruined my credit with these late payments. I never made a late payment.
    Phyllis H. from Philadelphia

• El
      22nd of Sep, 2010

I have experienced the same thing. July and August payments not made. I am going to close my bank account and work out agreements with each creditor. The only thing I am worried about is if I will ever get back my money that they neglected to pay. Who am I kidding they stole it - I feel it in my gut, this has turned into a scam.

23rd of Sep, 2010

I received a call from UFS. I am being told my payments including past due amounts have been submitted to my credit cared companies. I guess it remains to be seen. I'm not getting my hopes up. I filled out the complaint form for the Attorney Generals Office as others have done & are in the process of doing. I am holding mine another few days to see if they in fact submitted all payments. Keep you posted.
    Phyllis from Phila

• Ni
      26th of Oct, 2010

I too have had similar experiences with United Financial Systems. Over the past ten months, there have been a total of 6 missed monthly payements by them to my ceditor - citicards - on my behalf despite payments to them being automatically deducted from my banking account on a month basis. As a result, i was dropped from CitiCard's Debt Management Program 2 times, paid accrued interest, and have been hit with several late fees and interest rate penalties. Getting to touch with someone is very difficult by phone. And I challenge anyone to ask what their final payoff ammount or date will be - they won't answer you and you'll get the runaround. I am in the final years of paying off my credit, and I believe United Financila Systems is either a poorly managed company, is having cash flow problems, is unethical, or any combination of the aforementioned. If anyone brings up a class action against this company, please let me know as I have approximately two dozen email correspondances between united Financial Customer Service and myself. nml7604@yahoo

8th of Nov, 2010

After going back and forth regarding 5 missed payments my accounts were brought current through September. I was told the problem was due to a computer glitch after an upgrade they did a few months ago. Well it happened again !!! I received calls and letters saying they did not receive my October payments. It is now Nove 8th and payments still have not been made. I've sent several emails and have not heard a word back. It's hard to call them during the day because I work. This is sooooo friggin insane.

Phyllis from Phila again!!

25th of Nov, 2010

Now it is November 24th so now its 2 months behind. No one responds to emails or phone calls!!
    Phyllis from Phila again!!

• Pi
      6th of Dec, 2010

Same thing happened to me! Ok people we need to get serious and take legal action. I just had to pay $1300 in past due and late fees on top of the $2000 that UFS has taken from my account. I will not be able to pay my house payment this month nor have a a single present under the tree for my 5 children. If they succeed in withdrawing Decembers payment I won't be able to feed them either! UFS...YOU SUCK!!!

6th of Dec, 2010

My accounts are now current !! Fortunately going forward the new company will draw & make the payments. Anyone still having problems getting UFS to respond to calls & emails Contact Carolee @ cestabrook@unitedfinancial.org

6th of Dec, 2010

I don't know if all accounts were transferred to the new company in California, but pretty sure all PA accounts were

• La
      31st of Dec, 2010

To ANYONE USING UFS-STOP THE DEBITS FROM YOUR ACCOUNTS NOW AND HAVE YOUR BANK REFUND ANY UNAUTHORIZED DEBITS FROM THE LAST 60 days-the banks can do this. I also think we should all continue to inundate Chris, the owner of UFS with emails and file complaints to the AG's office even tho they are being lazy [censor] about this. FIGHT BACK!!!

31st of Dec, 2010

My payments that UFS debited have been paid to my creditors. My accounts are current and are now being handled by the new company Consumers Alliance. They are in the process of negotiating with the creditors to get me back on the program. Creditors kicked me off because of the late & missed payments by UFS. My only connection now with UFS is they still have my cash back award money. They claim they will return it when I complete the program with Consumers Alliance. I do not believe or trust them. I am going to file a complaint with the Attorney General & file case against them with small claims court. They do not have the right to hold that money.

• Le
      5th of Jan, 2011

This all sounds so familiar. UFS went 4 months without paying my creditors (over 3000.00 total withdrawn from my account). Finally my bank told me the only way to stop them was to close that account and reopen another, what a pain. I also was passed on to Consumer Alliance. UFS apparently has lost their "accreditation" to do business in several states, I am in Va. I at least am getting some email replies from them. I am being told I will get a refund back for lost payments. I am not holding my breath. FL BBB is no help, UFS keeps ignoring them. I will get in touch with Fl AG and see what happens. Does anyone think its worth actually suing them?

6th of Jan, 2011

I actually was considering suing UFS to get my awards money back. They tell me, it will be returned when I complete the program with Consumer Alliance. As far as I am concerned
    1. UFS has been in breach of the contract almost since the beginning. They received my payments on time every month, however they did not disburse on time causing late fees and they still had the audacity to take their fees.

2. I am no longer a client of UFS so why should I let them hold onto my money and trust they will return it.

I've been busy but I plan to look into this further.

• Jd
      8th of Jan, 2011

Just wondering anyone with any luck out there? We actually finished the program in JULY but still had a few cards needing payments???? Also, they still owe about 200$ for 2 of my cards and the initial deposit from when we started the program. We signed the vouchers in July and are still waiting...any luck??? oh and we contacted Carolee today...hopefully we will get a response..Thanks for everyone putting up these posts..