The Lakeside Collection catalog company / No tracking information/rude customer service rep

1 Northbrook, IL, United States Review updated:

I recently ordered online through The Lakeside Collection catalog company's website an MP4 player for my son, for Christmas. I ordered it on December 10, and still have not received it. I go to the website and look up tracking information (pretty much every company nowadays will provide you with shipping tracking information so you can see where your package/order is). When I click on the order number to track it, it comes up with 'no information available'. So I sent them two emails. Both replies were standard, form-letter types. And they contradict themselves in it. Telling me at first that this package cannot be tracked. But later, towards the end of the email from them, they write "Did you know that you can track your package online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?" Evidently, you can't! At the beginning of the second email from the customer service guy was a very clipped, rude reply saying simply 'as stated in the previous email'... the package can't be tracked. They obviously do not care about keeping me as a customer. I paid almost a hundred bucks for this MP4 player, and it has been almost 2 weeks now. I just want to know where it is, and when I'll get it. Like, before or by Christmas as it was intended for! All they will tell me was the date it was shipped. Which does not help me, at all. They have to have a shipping and tracking code. Because they state in the email that if I do not receive it within 15 business days, they will hunt it down. Well if they can do that, then they obviously have a tracking code! If they don't want to track it themselves, all they have to do is give me the tracking number and I will contact the USPS myself and try to find out, myself, where it is. But they won't. This company could not care less about it's customers. I could have spent a thousand dollars and would still most likely be treated this way. I have tried in the past to order items from catalogs only a few months old, and was told that they do not keep everything in stock. That they don't bother. They don't keep items in stock? How are they staying in business? Is this really a way to conduct a business? Once I get my MP4 player, I am demanding to be removed from their mailing list and will attempt to file a more proper complaint. This is no way to treat paying customers. Every company I do business with online or offline has a way to keep track of packages sent in the mail, through UPS, or Fed-Ex. This is ridiculous! If anyone wants to see copies of their emails, I will gladly cut, copy and paste them as a reply.

An

Comments

• Me
      22nd of Dec, 2010

Hi Anna M,

I am truly sorry to hear that you have not received your order and also for the last response you received from our company.

We strive to provide efficient and friendly Customer Service and regret that the service you received was not typical of the level of service we strive to provide.

I will be looking into this further and provide you with an update on the status of your order.

If you have further questions or concerns you may contact me at help@lakeside.com.

Best Regards,

Melanie Pyott

22nd of Dec, 2010

I am a little shocked that anyone from the company would get in touch with me at all. And even more shocked that anyone saw this complaint here. But hopefully it will get taken care of. All I was ever asking for, was to find out where the package is. I ordered a t-shirt from another company the exact same day, and just got it in the mail. So hopefully I will get my MP4 player before Christmas. I can only hope. Thank you.

24th of Dec, 2010

Just an update, I received the MP4 player today from UPS. Still have not received the original one ordered, and have no idea where it is or if I'll ever get it. The Lakeside Collection company has truly come through in the end to help me with this problem. But if I had never put up the complaint here, my son wouldn't be getting his main Christmas gift day after tomorrow. What I really hope in the end, is that their customer service people learn to be more respectful of their customers. That they try harder to help the customer. The one guy who had emailed me the second time, was kind of rude. It's hard to want to be a repeat customer when the customer service is rude. But, considering how hard this lady has worked to help me, I'll give them another try.

• Me
      27th of Dec, 2010

Hi Anna M,

I am happy to hear that you received the MP4 player in time to give to your son at Christmas.

I have also forward your feedback to our Management Team for further review.

If I can be of any further assistance to you now or in the future, please not hesitate to contact me directly.

Best Regards,

Melanie Pyott

3rd of Feb, 2011

Just another update. The first MP4 player that I got (by UPS), stopped working. They issued a replacement at my request. That one did not want to register on my son's computer. And after managing to download fifty songs, only two would play. So we are now awaiting a postage-paid return label. This is becoming such a huge hassle anymore. At first they tried to make me pay for returning both defective MP4 players. Then after I ask for postage-paid return labels, they send me an adobe acrobat-attached email with instructions. My computer does not accept Adobe acrobat, and will freeze up on me. Plus they had sent an electronic postage-paid return label for UPS for me to print out. My printer hasn't worked in years, and I have no real reason to get it working so I haven't had it working. So I had to request they send through the mail the postage-paid return labels. Now I get an email saying they will send the labels to me through the USPS ok, but that I will have to drop off the package at the nearest UPS. The nearest UPS is over thirty-five miles away. I live in a tiny, little rural town. Neither my husband nor I get out of the town very much as much as it costs a lot for gas to go into the closest bigger town (thirty miles away). So this is rapidly becoming the biggest waste of time, money and patience that I have ever had to go through. Giving birth to my son was less painful and much quicker than all of this. All I want is to return those two defective items in the simplest, easiest way that is not going to cost me a fortune in gas, and get my money back. For the price of gas to go and drop off the package at UPS, I could have just paid and sent it back myself. Our car does not get very good gas mileage, and we rarely leave town as it is. I will NEVER buy from this company EVER again. NOT ever. It's not worth the hassle and frustrations of trying to return anything. This is just ridiculous now. Hopefully I can call up the UPS and ask if they will be able to have one of their drivers come out and pick up the package. If not, I hate to think how much it's going to cost us to go and drop it off at their office. I am just beyond fed up anymore, and my patience is gone.

• Mi
      4th of Feb, 2011

Dear Anna M,

I’m sorry to read that you continue have problems with this order. When the return labels were issued as requested, I was unaware that you were thirty miles away from a UPS location.

However, we want to make this right for you, so I do have a different solution to this problem. Please contact me directly via email again, so that we may resolve this issue.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Michelle Jones

9th of Feb, 2011

Finally both of the MP4 players have been returned. The Lakeside Collection catalog company was kind enough to send a UPS driver who not only had a pre-printed and postage paid return label, but he also wrapped up the package to return it. It was finally easy and simple to return, and my money was already refunded. While it was exhausting having to deal with all of this, and very frustrating at times, the Lakeside Collection catalog company was very patient, and very willing to help me out throughout the whole ordeal. It was not the company's fault that the product was defective, it was the fault of the company that made the MP4 player. I am not sure if I will remain a customer or not, but I have to admit that the company went above and beyond to help me get it all resolved. And nowadays, that is very rare. Very few companies would go as far as they did. And I do appreciate that.