Strategic Book Publishing AEG Publishing Group

130 Naranga Place
Stoneville, Australia
Phone: 61 8 9295 6035
greenhouseneutralfoundation.org
I have a publishing contract with the AEG Publishing group that was arranged by Writer Literary Agency. The book ZER Greenhouse Emissions - The Day the Light Went Out - Our Future World was published in October 2008 and I purchase from them 300 copies to be shipped to me as the author here in Australia. They indicated in the contract that until there were 300 copies (not including the copies I purchased) there would be no royaties payable. The sales reports indicate that only 24 copies have to date been purchased. Although this seem unusual as all the work I have been doing to sell them I did not question these figures. I paid them funds to represent me at the New York book fair in May also US$250. I then subsequently paid a furthe $395 to have them produce an e-book of the title. They forward a free PDF copy to me and the royalties were to be 50% of all e-books sold. I have been working every hour I can to sell the book and direct buyers to the web address for the book at the publisher http://www.eloquentbooks.com/ZEROGreenhouseEmissions.html and know many have reported to me that they have purchased - My royalties have not show up on the statement via royalties page. Today I did a seach to be horified to see that the whole of the operation from Writers Literary to the AEG publishing Group is a scam. This could cause the demise of our not-forprofite environmental education foundation .

Please advise me what I can do -- Please treat this with the utmost urgency

my email address is greenhouseneutral@bigpond.com

Many thanks
Bob Williamson
Founder and Chair
Greenhouse Neutral Foundation
130 Naranga Place Stoneville Western Australia 6081
+61 8 9295 6035
Complaint comments Comments (86)    Updated: Complaint country Australia Complaint category Books
More Strategic Book Publishing AEG Publishing Group Complaints & Reviews
Strategic Book Publishing AEG Publishing Group - The 5th Brother by Andrew Stark

Comments

N  16th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
Good morning, Anna.
What I classify as a perfect response on a subject about dirty rotten scoundrils. It is obvious your poetry is from the heart. Good luck in your future dealing, and there still some honest people out there.

Sincerely, Trevor Timbs (author)
A  16th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
My cousin published a novel through Eloquent Books (another "division" AEG), despite the fact that I warned him that the company is a scam.

As of today, he's has paid them well over $1300 for various fees and publishing costs. He's only sold 15-20 copies of his novel (to friends and family members). Yet, AEG is "thrilled" to promote his work at book fair in China in a few months. Of course, he has to pay another $600 for that trip.

Before going to China, he must pay (yet another) fee to have his novel converted into an e-book. His agent assure him that this is necessary, because "the Chinese prefer Kindles and iPads."

Speaking of his sales, he's supposed to be able to view his royalties online. However, that site never quite seems to have that information available.

I understand the desire to have you work published, but legitimate literary agencies will never charge anything upfront. (I repeat, NEVER!) They are paid a percentage of your royalties.

My cousin is genuinely convinced that he is going to make millions of dollars off this novel through AEG. So, feel free to add him to Cynthia's list of "very please" clients.
A  17th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
Thanks Trevor for your comment! As a fellow writer on this little island of ours maybe you can keep me posted as to any reputable publishers here in the UK. I may well self publish but even that path seems to throw up the scam word too ! ... Ah yes Martha from Appalachia, I see what you mean, poor Cynthia may well be in this category like your poor cousin..just waiting, paying, waiting, paying ... perhaps we should call it 'Cynthia's list' ! I have read your cousins story on many boards on the subject, no one manages to track the sales thing ! I notice she (Cynthia) was not quick to reply to Trevors query of monies asked for or paid, nor of mine regarding the lots of happy authors like herself !! Anyway folks Bless them ... there but for the grace etc etc .. Please let your cousin know we'll be here when the proverbial hits, & you Cynthia! ... But did they never think to punch in any of the so called publishing houses names ?? They all have a common bond... the word 'scam' jumps up !!!
N  19th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
Hi
Oh well I am about to have my autobiography published with them right now. And do you know what? They are nice as pie. And so am I.
Look, all you disgruntled authors, lets stick together and back this shallow gentleman -get back onboard Strategic, get paid, everyone happy, we write more bizzzzaar stuf and so no.
And then we shall all NETWORK our books together. HA!
What do you think about that?
Ronnie
THE SUICIDE HOUR
N  19th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
Good morning, Ronnie!
I do love a pessimist and I wish you every success with your autobiography. Just a simple question: How much has it cost you so far; and will you let us all know when the squeeze is applied for more money.
I ask this, because the only hint of human kindness I've ever discerned from a 'nice as pie' scammers eyes, is usually from the glass one.
Best of luck with the THE 'financial' SUICIDE HOUR'
N  20th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
@Ronald -

For the record, I am not a "disgruntled author." (I am a writer, but I've never queried agents or publishers.)

Yes, the folks at Strategic/Eloquent Books are very nice. Does that mean that their business model is ethical?

Do you know what this company considers marketing? They give you a personal page on their website and a crappy "press release, " which is basically just a PDF with a picture of your book and its description. Yeah, that's their e-n-t-i-r-e marketing strategy.

Is this company as bas as PublishAmerica? No, not by a long shot, but that doesn't mean that they're legit.

Be sure to look at your contract with them.

The fact that your books will be "available" at B&N, Borders, or Books-A-Million doesn't mean those companies physically stock it there (unless you beg the manager). If you plan to do a book signing, then you'll have to buy the copies yourself.

Do you hope to see you book in a library? Well, forget it. Your book can't get an LOC number through a vanity press.

Don't give them $895. You have other options. Why not Lulu or Createspace or BookSurge or even a local press?
N  21st of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
Good info', Ronald.
I would say Lulu is the best option...I know people who have used them and the feedback has been ultra positive.

Cheers, Trev'
N  25th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
I just sign an joint off with this company about four months ago. Tania was my contact by email. I feel so stupid, I should have checked into the company more. But, I like you all was excited to have my work in print. I wasted alot of money and time with this and now, I'm very dicouraged.
N  27th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
Well hello all you helpful writers
I have paid Strategic $2700 US. Right now I have an editor called Bev working on the script. I can say the first edit was snappy, and, naturally, I plundered it again, so the poor thing is tidying it up for me.
Ah well. You know I have always believed that where there's smoke there's fire. But it seems the whole village is burning bright. You see I am new to the net, it takes me time to work things out, but thanks to you I won't make a mistake with my other two novels. I truly appreaciate your assistance.
Now to something even more important. I need your oponion on the following.
It is my belief doctors are killing our kids. Individuals suffering depression are labeled bi-polar. This, they say is incurable, but it takes away all hope of them recovering.
What a load of bunk! It is simply their negative thought pattern that needs new direction. I know, because after 15 years on valium I am finally free - and my thinking is clear. I hear the chirping blue brested finches.
Please tell me your thoughts. Was this organized by pharmaceutical companies?
ronniefmwritings@hotmail.com
N  29th of Dec, 2010 by    0 Votes
Even though it is still not 100% clear to me when I should contact SPB or EB or whatever other org, I managed to agree on a 50/50 JV with SPB and pay the 995 USD fee plus an additional 495 USD for book fairs. Adios savings. I just finished editing and submission for review. Now I read this board and I am not happy at all. But at least I am warned about possible pitfalls, and I thank you for that. Early 2011 things should be moving. I'll keep you posted here.
N  1st of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hi.
I am author of The Dark Journey: inside the reeducation camps of Vietcong, released on February 15, 2010. As a first author with EB and AEG, I would like to share an experience to whom wants to know about the book published. I have seen my book on the most popular onlines, a lot of people bought and got it at US, Canada, Australia...my book is being on the National Library of Australia and the others of Victoria, Western Australia...I attended the World Book Expo at New York on May, I also received the royalty commission as well. These facts confirm my believe on the publisher, so I have signed an agreement for my second book" Good Evening Vietnam", it will be released soon.
A time, I went to a shop in Australia and read a phrase being at front door:" Confucian said: a man who chooses a lot, then gets nothing"
Hoa Minh Truong.
( Ex-lieut of ARVN, P.O.W)
N  10th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have a similar complaint about CREATESPACE! They never marketed my book, "Secret Confessions Of A High-Priced Call Girl" and they sold maybe 1 or 2 copies per month. I found a real publisher, and my sales instantly went up to sevral hundred books per month! Coincidence? No, not at all. Createspace only wants your money, and they do nothing for authors. Nada, Zip...

Dimitra Ekmektsis, author of "Secret Confessions Of A High-Priced Call Girl"
A  16th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I'm just blown away by all the complaints I've read. I've basically experienced many of the same things the others have gone through. I was seriously considering sending them the $995 they want to start the publishing. I was offered the Joint Venture and told my story was marketable. I paid them to critique the story and received excellent results. At my husband's urging, I began blogging to find out what others had to say about Strategic. The comments on their own site made them look they were the best in the business. But Jim told me to check outside their site to find out what people really thought about them. I'm glad I checked this site. I'm going to e-mail them and tell them to delete my manuscript from their files. I'm so disappointed because I write Christian romance and God has a message to hurting people through my stories. Now I have to consider other options.
A  22nd of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I also have entered into this JV with them. At first being a new author I was very pleased that a publisher wanted to publish my work and at first I understood about the JV however when my book was printed and I became a one income family and could not pay anymore they pretty much dropped me. I had researched them and did not find anything but a 2008 complaint which did not amount to much. The past year I have learned so much and will continue with my writting hoping to seek out a honest publisher.
Dawson C. Walton
A  22nd of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
We all learn from our mistakes. We have been brought up thinking that we can trust others and the truth be known you can not trust anyone. Author -Dreams
N  30th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
ok, im just about to go into business with this company, when i was directed to this site by a reader of mine from facebook. I appreciate all your complaints and such but not one of you has said your taking the path i am taking. I am not doing a joint venture with them. I am doing a 100 pre sales which only costs 150 which i get back at the sales target, this venture also claims a thousand dollar bonus at a thousand sales.
I have a cert 4 in marketing, so that i can do myself via facebook (www.facebook.com/angelaobrienphotography) and also on my webpage (www.angelamobrien.weebly.com) Iam waiting a few days to go ahead with them, i will be doing some more research now but my library has happily agreed to take copies of my book either via purchase or donation. I have read the contract three times, with a very fine tooth comb and have found it to be just. I have a printed copy of the contract which will be kept for my records. Once a contract is signed by both parties, then both parties are legally bound to abide by the laws of said contract.
If any of you can give me a bad example you have had by entering a pre sale agreement with them, i would love to hear it. And another question in support of cynthia, did it ever occur to you guys that maybe there are no other happy customers on this post, simply because they see no need to look up trash posts??? Every company has bad press, even department stores. In australia, we as a nation, hate telstra, but that doesnt mean they dont have happy customers.

Angela M OBrien
Writer of
Young Love
and
Family Ties
with more to come. :-)
N  30th of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
It was not so much what the contract said as to what the e-mails told the words partnership, global sales the promise of all their expertise in marketing. I was told that I would get $4.00 per sale so after 250 sales I would have my investment back when in reality I am getting $1.38 per sale. I am sure that I am not the only one out there that was misled. There was no mention of ANY further money until after my book was printed then money for this and money for that and what about this and that. I am not rich and I do not have a degree in marketing. Their e-mail told me that they could recoup their investment after a couple of years. My question is when are they going to invest to this date they have not invested anything which is the total opposite of what they implied and promised. Lately the only word I get from them is trying to sell me another one of their plans or strategys. I think that the main thing that people are complaining about is that they promised the world and gave us a turd, plain and simple. Am I not right?
D  31st of Jan, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am a current author with strategic and I can not recommend them more highly.
I have NEVER had ANY problems with them and my book is out and making money.
I can only assume that all publishers are going to disappoint at some time to people and all you hear are the ones who got a bum deal and are not happy with there sales. lets face it, just because you publish does not mean your work is worth buying.
A  7th of Feb, 2011 by    -1 Votes
I sent my book -(Tumbleweed ) to strategic publishing group. After reading so many heart rendering stories I have decided to not proseed with it. Like all pepples who write we feel strong emotions with our writing. And to be taken as a soft touch is painfull enough. Ill find another way to let the world know my story. Ann Edmead london annedmead @sky.com
A  14th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
Thank you to all those aspiring authors out there like me who so much want to publish their work that they can fall into a trap like this. Because of you I have been saved the pain of such a financial rip off that I can sooooooo not afford. Like you however, the disappointment of such an experience, where their is someone out there interested in your work and wanting to help you who ends up being a hideous fraud is very demotivating and so very sad. Where does one find a reliable and trustworthy establishment that respects and appreciates what goes into writing a book. It shocks me that their are such despicable people out there. HOW DO YOU FRAUDS SLEEP AT NIGHT?

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree