Starbucks / overcharging

1 110 SE 3 AveMiami, FL, United States Review updated:

I just moved into the neighborhood and was revelling in my new-found urban lifestyle. I enjoyed strolling down to the local Starbucks, and did so last Sunday, March 1, 2009 to purchase the Miami Herald. That day, it was $1.25 (the marked price) plus tax = $1.34. Today, since I was in more of a hurry, I went out with exactly $1.34 in my pocket to purchase the paper again.

The cashier rung up the price as $1.61. I pointed out that that would be about 30% tax and it should be the $1.34 that I paid last week, directing her attention to the marked price of $1.25. She agreed and called over the manager, who stated that it rings up at $1.50 and there was nothing he could do. I explained that was wrong, possibly illegal, and that I brought with me only the $1.34 that I paid the week previously in that very location. He questioned whether I knew where or what day I bought the newspaper, but I definitley knew it was there. He said, "Well there is nothing I can do. I can't override the computer; you can pay $1.61 or go." Nice customer service. I offered to tender the $1.34 in my hand which was not accepted.

I have several gripes about this: (1) I would pay the $1.61, if that were the price ($1.25 was CLEARLY marked as the price of the paper); (2) their inability to remedy my complaint, especially having paid face value only a week earlier; and (3) their complete lack of regard, especially in this economy, for making things right with a paying customer. I won't be back.

Mi

Comments

• So
      16th of May, 2009

I am been charged a higher price when I buy 2 or more drinks together, then when I buy them individually. Example:

1 Grande Latte + 1 Tall Coffee = $6.16 (taxes included)

Separately: 1 Grande Latte = $3.94(tax included)
    1 Tall Coffee = $1.79 (tax included)
    -------------------------------------
    Total = $5.73

So Starbucks "extra charge" = $0.43
    I have the receipts to prove this.

I've asked for the Store Manager, and I was told that he is not present in the store. The employee who was working on the cashier was impolite, and gave me misleading information: I called the number they gave me on a business card, and it is actually the store phone number. At the phone, the Supervisor by the name Rena, told me that she is the Store Manager. Only when I've specifically asked for the Customer Service number, only at that time she disclosed the phone number to me. I've called and there is no one to be talked to during the Weekend.

It is sad that such a large and reputable brand name like Starbucks is employing practice like this…

The Store Manager (or supervisor) told me that it is a known issue, and she advised me to buy the drinks separately.

It is unheard of such practice, that when you buy more merchandise to pay more, when you should be paying actually less.

The consequence is that all customers (who are aware of this issue) will be ordering multiple drinks individually, causing more work for Starbucks employees, decreasing the productivity

• Ti
      15th of Jul, 2009

if you're really concerned about 0.43 cents, then you probably shouldn't be buying starbucks overpriced coffee.

• Vi
      10th of Aug, 2009

haha agree with tim

serously, if less than two dollars is what you have in your wallet,
    go to mc donalds

• Ly
      5th of Sep, 2009

The price of the drink depends on whether or not it is iced or hot. You probably didn't get your drinks the same way both times.

• H3
      25th of Sep, 2009

Depending on the market you are in, certain taxes kick in at certain price points.
    FOR EXAMPLE: In Ontario, you are NOT charged PST when the purchase is under $4.00. HOWEVER, once it goes over, the extra tax is added. SO, that may explain the extra charge. I would carefully look at your receipts again. I'm pretty sure you will find yourself feeling very silly. Also, please spare the poor baristas the chore of ringing up everything separately in future to avoid paying taxes.

• Ge
      11th of Oct, 2009

Oh, you poor thing. However shall you recover from such a traumatic experience? The poor children in Africa eating shoes need to donate money to the "buy this douche a newspaper" fund.

• Ge
      11th of Oct, 2009

### guy

• Ti
      5th of Nov, 2009

You're complaining about twenty seven cents. Twenty. Seven. Cents.

Think about that for a minute.

• Te
      14th of Apr, 2010

The complaint was valid because it was about the practice and not the money.

• Ra
      28th of Jul, 2010

Agreed, even for pennies, a company that profitable should be skimming like this off loyal customers.

• Te
      28th of Jul, 2010

interesting how one can easily spot the immature. They don't understand the concept of "principle."

• Re
      21st of Jan, 2016

my coffee was not very good at all i would like to request a refund