Star Vacation Club

Posted:

Customer beware! Scam!

4.6
Unbelievable! I managed to find at least 12 related complaints on Google about this company, its many agency representatives (other companies that funnel money to Travel Service Network), or affiliated companies (Infinity Incentive Group). They have operated under the name of Travel Service Network, TSN Travel, 123Free Travel, and many, many, more. They've taken (s**kered) consumers in the states of AZ, MO, IL, FL, TX, and many more to now include CA. I might be the first CA residence who has caught on to their scam. They are operating as Star Vacation Club in San Diego, CA.

Let’s take a step back and explain the events leading to today’s email. Like some of you, I received the typical marketing call guaranteeing a prize, in this case 1 of 5. I attend the sales presentation that promises club membership with too many good benefits to be true. I fall for the scam and we start talking price. Membership starts out costing me $8,500 (discounted from the standard price of $10K) and is dwindled down to $2,295 because I get sticker shock. After charging my card and having me sign several agreements, they give me a scratcher with a “lucky” penny to help reveal one of the 5 prizes I’m guaranteed to win. I scratch and say "darn" because it's not the Cadillac Escalade. It’s a voucher from Infinity Incentive Group for a free vacation, the voucher scam that hit some Complaints.com complainants.

Everything in the information package that I received after being duped out of $2,295 this evening showed the name of Star Vacation Club, even their member website (starvacationclub.com). Notice the similarity to Travel Service Network's site (tsntravel.com), of whom some of the Complaints.com complaints are directed. Everything showed Star Vacation Club, except the sales receipt which showed Travel Service Network. So, I got home and noticed this and said "huh?"

That's when the online research ensued and I’m just dumbfounded by the amount of activity this company has been engaged in. Several BBB chapters show unfavorable ratings for this company and some of its “affiliates,” as well as numerous documented court cases brought on by state attorney generals.

The San Diego Better Business Bureau has no complaints filed on record. Even though the San Diego BBB shows this company's file open in 2002, the sales person told me that they opened up shop three months ago, maybe too early for victims to be the wiser.

I’m going to follow Star Vacation Club’s three day cancellation policy written in the agreement. I expect that they’ll give me the standard run around Illinois consumers received by Travel Service Network .lip service and no refund. I’m prepared for that. My credit card company will be informed not to pay that charge and I’ll show good faith by following their cancellation policy. By the way, I’m not going to submit the travel voucher. Fool me once, and thanks to some of you, not twice.

I hope to prevent other Californian’s from being duped too. A complaint was filed with the CA State Attorney. I’ve filed a scam report with the Chicago BBB in hopes that they’ll share their information with the San Diego chapter. I’ve filed a consumer fraud alert with the local TV station to investigate them, hopefully on the air. And finally, I’m educating ya’ll here who helped me realize how stupid I was. By the way, thank you to the folks at Complaintsboard.com for an availing this forum to us.
Complaint comments Comments (84) Complaint country United States Complaint category Travel & Vacations

Comments

A  12th of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes
I just went to Star Vacation Club today for their 90 minute presentation. They sounded really legit, a great presentation, but I am thankful that I did not have money to invest in a vacation plan with the Club. I received my 3-day vacation scratcher prize and a $1,000 internet shopping spree with www.pickyourgifts.org. As soon as I got home, I began checking the internet for any complaints about Infinity Incentive Group and FindYourGifts. I found a number of complaints. I then checked for complaints about Star and found this. I am going to forward this to the Arizona Attorney General's Consumer Fraud Division. The only good thing I can say about the Star presentation, is that they did not in any way pressure me to buy a vacation plan.
D  5th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
These customers thought they we "duped" before they even tried to use the service.

People are mixing up the "complimentary gifts" with the company, the gifts are from the telemarketing company ( not related). They do not understand the membership.
A  19th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I recently got a call which I would have normally hung up this caller. She said I won a GREAT PRIZE in a STATE sweepstakes. (1 in 5) All I had to do was watch their presentation for 90 minutes. I am SO glad I brought the baby with me and told them I could not find a sitter that night or stay for their presentation that turned out be be 2 hours+ when I got their. They let me scratch my prize and go. She says "OH, YOU GOT THE VACATION" that consists of airfare and hotel with lots of terms and conditions they still have told me about, and a 50.00 fee per person. At least that's all they're willing to tell you about UP FRONT.
A  19th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
What kind of sick people try to scam a couple with 2 small children, living paycheck to paycheck. And make them think they won a big prize so they can finally get out of debt?
N  7th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I just went to the presentation last night and purchased a two week package. When I got home to check the website, I was having problems logging on, then I ran into this site. Now I am concern. Can someone contact me, as I feel I have been tricked. But it sounded such a good deal. $4,200 later...
N  12th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
Good day!

This forum has got me really curious because i have been approached by someone to do telemarketing for these people (star vacations). Please tell me exactly what happened and whatever details that you can give, such as were you obligated to sign or purchase anything before you got the gift? Contrary to common belief, not all telemarketing are scams. If what was discussed in this forum is true, i do not wish to be affiliated with this company (star vacations). I would gladly appreciate any feedback or information you can give me regarding this topic. Thank you and god bless.

David Garcia
D  18th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I happen to do a google search in order to get to my website & I was surprised to find a complaint board on Star Vacations. I have been a member for 6 yrs. & have gone to 9 different countries through Star Vacations and literally saved thousands of dollars in comparison to their competitors. All the trips they have provided to me exceeded my expectations. In reading these complaints, it appears that no one is really a member and it seems they are complaining about some gift. I feel sorry for these people that complain about a product that they have never used, but for those reading these complaints, I am a world traveler for the last 30 years and since joining Star Vacations, I have stayed at better places & have payed a lot less money. J Clark
D  24th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I'm writing this from a beautiful resort in St. Martin. Star provided me with a 2 bedroom for $399 for 8 days and 7 nights. The resort usually charges $250 a NIGHT! Which if I booked it through an online travel site it would have cost me $1750. Star saved me $1351 and I get 5% back from Star. So maybe you should have joined to reap the benefits...
N  25th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
It appears that all these people that complain about a free gift are lazy to much work to fill out a travel request form i attended a star vacation presentation and joined and as a gift they gave me two round trip tickets yes there was taxes involved and yes i did have to give a 60 day advance notice the taxes for two tickets was a $100.00 i used the tickets to go to Coty wyoming and on expedia the tickets would have been $1346.00 i appreciated the gift I have no complaints and if these complainers complaining about a gift let me say this don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
D  28th of Apr, 2007 by    0 Votes
I am a member of Star Vacation Club - and I have no complaints. I attended the same marketing presentation, got the free trip. While the benefits sounds too good to be true - if you love to travel and want to do it inexpensively - then this is a great deal. If you don't think you will be able to take advantage of the benefits b/c you don't like to or won't get to travel then perhaps this isn't the membership for you. But it sounds that the complaints are with the company that provides the free gift and not with the membership benefits and services.
A  14th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
After eight months of paying on a "trial membership", I am still waiting for my account to be activated. I have not been able to get ahold of a live person through the 877 number I was given. At this point I am so very frustrated and don't quite know what to do. BTW... THEY NOW HAVE A DIFFERENT NAME AND ITS HARBOR RESORTS VACATIONS.
A  18th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
Have been in program for about a year owing them $1595 for 30000 point contract. Have tried to contact them recently several times and get voice mail stating they will get back shortly. No answers. Find they are no longer in Illinois and phones no longer in service there. Find they are in California. Am contacting the Indiana Attorney General's Office and my attorney as well. Under present situation, maybe class action suit could be filed.
A  23rd of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
Star Vacation Club keep calling me. If you want to reach them to complain, call 866 744 5068. Their current operating address is: Star Vacations, 12526 High Bluff Drive, Ste 260, Plaza Del Mar, San Diego, CA 92130
N  24th of May, 2007 by    0 Votes
I USE TO SELL FOR THESE GUYS...

OK, folks - reality check...

I started off selling Travel Service Network roughly four years ago, we were a distributor for their product (kind of like Radio Shack is a distributor for Nextel or Sprint).

Unfortunately the complaints against TSN are mainly because of rogue distributors, salespeople being instructed to promise the world, to get the sale. It is not TSN's fault that these distributors have said what they said, and actually persons that use the website with efficiency are rarely let down. I know from first hand experience that there is a sizable savings that can be realized - especially in the vacation condominium market. RCI(a Timeshare Exchange Company) has now started renting their weeks to TSN for a considerable discount from their retail price. This allows customers to NEVER BUY A TIMESHARE but get the same end result for fractions of the price. THIS IS THE BEST BENEFIT OF THE CLUB! You can save multiple times the purchase price if you just use this benefit.LET THE CRUISES/AIRFARE/AND HOTEL DISCOUNTS BE THE ICING ON THE CAKE WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR SAVINGS!!

OK - now on to other issues...

Yes, TSN is now called Star Vacation Club... legally they have done everything right. TSN was sold/changed ownership hands - yet maintained their old client base. It was important for them to change names because of the bad reputations that the distributors had given them.

NOW TO THE GIFTS- Listen folks they are what they are - GIFTS. Please understand they work - but honestly they dont want them to work for you... just follow the Terms and Conditions Down to a T and you will have no problem!!! JUST USE THEM... THEY ARE PROMOTIONS, SO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THEM AND BE FLEXIBLE!

AND IN SUMMARY... IF YOU USE THE PRODUCT YOU WILL BE SATISFIED... IT IS WORTH IT 100% WHEN YOU USE IT... BE CREATIVE AND USE THE PRODUCT AFTER LOOKING ONLINE AND SEARCHING THROUGH THE SPECIALS... USE THEIR WEBSITE, AND DO MOST OF THE BOOKINGS YOURSELF...

If it was me, I would purchase it... but you have to use it... if you dont - then please dont complain!!!
D  2nd of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
Hello, I signed up with Star Vacations at their Gilbert location (1450 W. Guadalupe Rd) which, I've already seen some of you are familiar with in January of 2006. I was contacted over the phone and was told I had won one of four prizes if I attend a 90 minute vacation club presentation. So I showed up and attended. I was impressed with the presentation, mainly with the fact that it wasn't a time share "cram session"(where they practically won't let you leave until you've bought something). I was interested and spoke with a very polite representative who wasn't in the slightest way pushy (which automatically turns me away from listening to anybody). I described how i travel and where I would like to go. Long story short, I signed a deal for $7590 that was based on what I wanted. I am still a member and have had the same savings experiences as described in their presentation when I first joined. I am a satisfied customer. Now, on these gifts I didn't even waist my time. After the presentation I happened to notice a man and woman who were being disruptive and they clearly stated (loud enough for everyone to hear) "I just want to get my free gift and get out of here". After that outburst a few people got up and headed to the back to just get their gift and go. The gift wasn't MY main prerogative. I travel all over and was looking for a good deal. For those of you who just try to get something for nothing and show up just for the free snacks, coffee, and gift SHAME ON YOU. I hope the stupid gift IS a pain in your ###. Just seeing that reaction at the presentation really irritated me. Since, I own my own business, I know what its like to offer a good product and have a bunch of free loading shmucks capitalize more on the advertisement and immediate benefits then the REAL benefits athand.

Jerry Edwards
A  13th of Jun, 2007 by    0 Votes
After initially purchasing this vacation plan, my husband and I found that the sales pitch was almost a total fabrication.

1. The airline travel virtually guaranteed to be 1/2 price due to bulk purchases of airline tickets by the club did not exist.

2. Auto rentals claimed to be deeply discounted were non-existent.

3. No further charges--I just received a bill for $189 for maintenance; maintenance of what? The club does not own any of the properties they broker.

4. The San Diego sales team will not answer phone calls nor will they return calls after messages are left; even when for specific people. Several calls were made to try to work on a solution to our complaints. They already had our money, I used my credit card to make the purchase.

My one experience using the condo department at SVC was pleasant regarding the customer service people involved. Once I arrived at my club purchased condo destination, I was at first impressed. The grounds were well manicured and lush, the pool area also beautiful.

Our room was another story... The beds were HARD-HARD-HARD, the sheets were yellowed and stained and scratchy, the A / C did not work in 90 degree, 90+% humidity conditions. Our next-door neighbor - a woman in her 80's, had to climb over the wall on our balcony to get out because her "condo" (term used loosely) door would not open. There had been a flood due to a broken pipe under the kitchenette sink causing the door to swell shut. It took several calls and several hours to get the mess cleaned up.

Is a class action suit in process regarding this vendor? I would like to join in with the parties if I could make contact and sue for return of all funds paid to this service. Please advise my rights pursuant to a refund or whether there are legal activities I should take because of the lies presented at the sales pitch.

Regards,
Koren D Dahlberg
A  2nd of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
Any company that has changed their name this many times tells you something. It's very apparent that this is a scam. It's unfortunate how many people they continually cheat to make a living. My advice is not to purchase anything from this company. If you have, contact an attorney.

Reading the comments above had me laughing. It's only obvious that the only comments posted in favor of the company were written by employees. For example, Dr. Joel Clark misspells paid??? What kind of doctor spells paid, "payed"?? Not a Dr. I'd feel comfortable with.
A  21st of Aug, 2007 by    +1 Votes
I would appreciate any input regarding getting money back. We paid with our credit card and it is currently a disputed purchase. I contacted the Star Vacation Club Corporate Office today and I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life! When asked to speak to a manager, "Margaret" said, "You don't need to. You can't." The first and only person I spoke with refused to let me speak to anyone else whatsoever. There was absolutely no desire to satisfy me as a customer or turn my attitude into a more positive one. I told them the marketing company they hired is fraudulent and Margaret continually repeated that they had no responsibility for this. When I pointed out that they chose to hire and retain a fraudulent service...which certainly reflects negatively on them, and for which Star does have responsibility, she was completely unreceptive. Now, after researching the internet for some time, I am utterly appalled by the amount of negative press/complaints/outrage out there on this company. I just wonder if this is enough for my Credit Card Company to allow me to get my money returned. Again... any input or advice appreciated. Sincerely, Kanta
A  22nd of Aug, 2007 by    0 Votes
My Husband and I bought the star vacation club pack and when I got it home I started with the internet to see just how good this was. What a JOKE . I could not get any info so I looked through all the stuff they gave us starting with the discount coupon books that they told us to disregard the expire date . I called the 1800 # in the back and they had not heard of star vacation club and new books are printed every year. So I called all the numbers on the member card to talk with some one they are not open or they are answering services one gave me a list of vacations I could book on line (I already tried that ) now its been three weeks and I still have not got my money back. I did every thing they and the contract told me to do to cancel. Can any one help?
D  30th of Aug, 2007 by    -1 Votes
I purchased the membership and have found it to be the most enjoyable. I use a condo week every year and have found the costs to be substantially lower than what I have found on my own.Many companies restructure and change names - how many times does a bank change their name??? If you bought the program for a free gift - you are silly - unfortunately nothing is free in life -.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree