Silverline Security / Bad service

1 UT, United States Review updated:

They are very rude and disrespectful. All they care about is money. We need to report them to the Better Business Bureau, since not every customer has access to the internet.

C

Comments

• C
      21st of Nov, 2008

It is so true. After you receive the first bill that is when you find out that most of the components that they sell could have been optional and they refuse to remove them.

27th of May, 2009

I am suprised to read these complaints about Silverline. I have done business with them since 2004 and they have been nothing but respectful, customer service oriented, and fair. For anyone who is in the market for a home security system I would highly recommend this company. The representative who knocked on my door was a gentleman and delivered on everything he said he was going to do. The installation took about an hour and a half but other than that it's been a great experience.

- Mark

28th of May, 2009

Mark, where did you do business with them? They came to my door as well and since I was in the market I thought I would give them a try. I had a great experience with them so far but I read these reviews and have been torn if I should cancel or not.

6th of Jun, 2009

Silverline Security **just** knocked on my door here in Odenton, Maryland 21113. When I asked the person on my porch to identify himself, he said he was from Silverline (which I had never heard of), and then said he was from General Electric, which was a misrepresentation. I did not appreciate someone trying to sell something to me, uninvited, in my own home. The whole key to whether or not a company is ethical and reputable is **time.** I asked the salesperson to give me **time** to review the paperwork and think about the offer before I signed... any reputable sales person would have respected that. Instead, this individual started explaining to me how the offer was a really limited time opportunity, and I needed to jump on it then and there. I explained to him that I did not appreciate being accosted at my own home, and asked him if he could come by the next day, but he declined. He asked what questions I had about his company, because maybe he could clear them up; I said it wasn't a matter about him clearing up anything... It was just a matter of him backing off and giving me **time** as I did not feel comfortable signing my name on anything 15 minutes after meeting someone. I asked him for his business card, as well as any other literature he had. He did not give me a business card, and did not leave a copy of the contract for me to review. While "Mark Talmage" and "John" may have had good experiences, this does not negate the fact that the APPROACH is predatory and inappropriate. NO ONE SHOULD FEEL LIKE THEY ARE A CAPTIVE AUDIENCE IN HIS OR HER OWN HOME. NO ONE SHOULD EVER FEEL RUSHED OR PUSHED INTO ENTERING INTO ANY CONTRACTUAL AGREEMENT, ESPECIALLY FOR FIVE YEARS.

As a former military attorney, I've briefed young soldiers (who have a low-level of financial literacy and are more susceptible to scams), on how to identify and avoid high-pressure sales tactics. Scams work because they appeal to people's emotions, needs, and desires. The desire to feel secure in one's own home is what every homeowner wants--that is the carrot... that is what gets them through the door. Then, they use that carrot as a stick, and beat you about the neck and shoulders, making you feel guilty or stupid for not being more security conscious by purchasing a system from them. The old adage, "if something is too good to be true, it probably is" is infallable. If the same deal won't be available a week from now, perhaps it's not worth the paper it's written on.

Don't just close the door if someone from Silverline Security knocks on your door; treat them like the criminals they are and call the police.

1st of Jul, 2009

As a Silverline Security customer of almost 3 years now, I am shocked to read these complaints. I was never treated anyway but professionally, and have been completely satisfied with not only the system that was put in my home, but also the customer service. Anytime the alarm goes off, the monitoring company is very prompt to help out. Anytime I've needed to get ahold of someone to ask a question, no matter what time of what day I call, I have no problems getting in touch with a friendly customer service rep. For a company with as many customers as Silverline Security, I'd say it's incredible they only have at max 10 complaints. That leaves thousands of customers nationwide that are completely satisfied with their experience. One or two bad remarks shouldn't be enough to leave someone discouraged. Don't be afraid to do business with Silverline, as they are a great company to work with.

-Jake

• Gm
      1st of Nov, 2009

I have worked in the alarm industry for a lot of years and just want to offer some helpful advice. The positive comments on this board are most likely written by the owners or employers of silverline. Silverline is one of the thousands of alarm companies who sell alarm contracts. They install a "free" system, you sign a contract for service, and they sell the contract to a larger company who will bill you for the service. They check your credit because the purchaser will not buy your contract if your credit score is less than 600 FICO. If you have bad credit Silverline will offer to install your system and probably have you pay a deposit. If you default, they will send you to collections and use it as a tax write off. Silverline will service your account for the first year and if you default on the agreement the company who purchased your contract may have the right to charge back silverline for selling them a bad contract. Silverline may thousands of satisfied customer nationwide, but as I stated the positive comments here are most likely from their employees.

Just read this quote (sales pitch)

"For a company with as many customers as Silverline Security, I'd say it's incredible they only have at max 10 complaints. That leaves thousands of customers nationwide that are completely satisfied with their experience. One or two bad remarks shouldn't be enough to leave someone discouraged. Don't be afraid to do business with Silverline, as they are a great company to work with."

1. Dont buy stuff from door to door sales people. it will always be more expensive. Door-to-door alarm salesmen get paid 300-500 per sale. Their commision gets factored into what you pay IE your monthly rate will be higher and the contract will be longer.

2. Make sure the company who installs your system is not going to sell your contract. When you sign up for service you want to work with the same company and not be passed around.

3. Consider a reputable local company. For example with my company, we sell the system and install it. We contract with a high quality central station to provide the monitoring service and we pay the monitoring center. If something goes wrong with the system we have 24 hour tech support and promise to be onsite within 24 hours to fix it. We never sell the contract. We warranty the system and if anything needs to be repaired or replaced we do it at no cost to the customer (no hidden trip chrages either) We have rates around $25/month. We have all the latest technologies available (remote internet access, and cellular backup, two-way voice, etc.) We would do anything to make sure our customers are happy. When a company sells your contract, they have no financial incentive to ever talk to you again. They would prefer you never call them or contact them again. Contacting them will only cost them money, not make them a penny extra. With a company who does NOT sell your contract your money goes to them every single month. It is a lot cheaper to keep an existing customer that get a new customer. Which type of company do you think will provide the best "after-sale service"?

• Hm
      19th of Mar, 2010

The proof is in the pudding. My friend's brother works for Silverline in Salt Lake City, Utah; and my friend even says it is a huge scam. They get a commission of each sale and right now a hundred dollar bonus, if they sign up 10 people in the month they also get an iPhone... Clearly, with this type of motivation they will tell you whatever you want to hear, and once you sign the contract you are locked into a horrible scam! I am currently being baggered by my friend's brother via facebook to sign up with him. Shady!!!

26th of Nov, 2011

Met with the albino, bald owner. He really is a weird guy. His own recruiter says hes socially ###ed and after I personally met with him can't agree more. He's obviously in his late thirties but tries to talk like he's young and kept saying -that's so sick- to everything I said. What a loser.