Shelter Insurance / Claims

Shelter Insurance
My mother and father are insured with Shelter. They have been with Shelter Insurance for about 20 years now. Here is the problem. During a storm or just a relaxing rain water is dripping from the ceiling. The spot is getting bigger and bigger and worse and worse as it rains more. Shelter is saying that there is no damage to the roof and they won't fix this problem. Isn't this what homeowners insurance is for? There is a leak, a hole, dry rot, wet rot, something that is causing this leak. Why can't they get any help and get this problem fixed? I have worked in the insurance industry. And I cannot seem to figure out why Shelter won't fix this problem. This is what insurance is for. This is an "occurance" repeated exposure that results in a loss or damage. This is outrageous.

D  30th of Mar, 2009 by
The Insurance Companies have become the Maintenance Companies for the American Homeowner. Hence the rise of the Storm Troopers.
Evidently it is something they are OK with.
Why are they saying "No" to your parents/ I don't know.
They have paid for millions of roofs in the last couple of decades and who knows how many of them were truly damaged.
Why did Shelter efuse this claim? As a contractor I have no idea what makes them tick. But generally speaking, if something stinks, it is rotten
N  27th of Apr, 2009 by
I recommend u go out in the attic when it rains and see with a flash light where the water seeps in. Spray a mark on it and call a handyman who will fix it with bull and membrane.
D  20th of Jun, 2009 by
Insurance companies are there to fix roofs that are damaged by hail, wind etc. They are NOT there to fix maintanence items or old age. If you car quits running- you have to maintain it. If you roof leaks you have to fix it. On the other hand if your car is damaged in an accident or by hail then the insurance company steps in. Same with your roof. Maintainance and old age are NOT covered by insurance.
D  23rd of Sep, 2009 by
Amen to the last comment. The purpose of homeowner's insurance is to cover things such as hail, wind, fire, theft, etc. It's purpose is not to cover things caused by a homeowner neglecting to maintain his or her property. If the cause of the leak was due to hail or wind...then you have a case.

Does anybody else find it funny that a lot of people making these complaints claim to have been in the insurance business? However, anybody who has actually had any experience in the property and casualty side of the insurance business can quickly see right through that little white lie.
A  23rd of Apr, 2011 by
Shelter Insurance is a ripoff company and I'm not your usual complainer. I have never complained about an insurance company but this one is terrible. I have rental houses and I asked all about their policies -- I've been in the business for 40 years -- I know what to look for. They out and out llied to me and then when I had a vandalism claim, they gave a very untrue and deceitful reason for denying my claim. NEVER HAVE I BEEN TREATED THIS WAY BY AN INSURANCE COMPANY SO BEWARE OF THEM. Attornies and other agents have looked at the denial and all say it is wrong and unfair.
N  25th of Jun, 2011 by
I agree with Jonnyboy1776, twill, and Intheknow8093. Insurance companies are not present to be your maintenance man. They are there for severe losses. People utilizing them for maintenance is only causing the cost of insurance to increase. People need to realize that being a home owner is more than just moving in. They have responsibilities to up-keep or maintain their property.

Also about the last post... I find it funny that you have been in the business for 40 years, and yet you don't read the policies and know what is covered yourself. Also it is hard for another agent or an attorney to say a denial is unfair or wrong without reading the complete policy and endorsements, and reviewing the entire damage. If they make a response based only on what you say then they are only getting one side of the story.. And we all know that every story has two sides!

Shelter Insurance Logo Shelter Insurance