Shell Gas Station / pump authorization

111-10th aveMilan Illinois, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 309-787-7525
Last friday night I pirchased gas at the pump and went inside to get the reciept. I drive a 2004 chevy monte carlo and only put $20.00 worth of gas in the car. When I went to use my amex card a few days later I was informed there was not enough room on it. I called the credit card co. who informed me that shell had asked for a pre aproval of $99.00 on the card and that is why I had no room left. I called shell and informed them that this was not right and they informed me that it was my credit card co. who had done this to me and that it was not there problem. I knew how much room was available on my card and had only put $20 in it because that is all I could afford . A gas station no matter if pay at the pump or inside should not be allowed to ask for mor than you recieve. This can cause people to have over the limit fees. I was just passing through this town and needed the gas, I will never get gas at shell again and will never pay at the pump again. This should be considered some form of fraud and should not be allowed to continue to happen.

Comments

Le
  2nd of Oct, 2008
I had the same problem at a Shell in atlanta ga. I filled my gas tank with $103.65 of gas. When I looked at my statement there was a hold for $200.00. If you ask me this is the same type of cporperate greed that has this country really messed up. Im sure that some one is using these funds for some sort term gain...its infuriating!
Xf
  5th of Aug, 2009
I have a large gas tank. The amount I am allowed to pump on one swipe of the card is never enough to fill the tank. I have a high limit on the card, and pay it off every month, so credit is not an issue. Usually I have to go into the office and stand in line to start pump a second time, and back again for the receipt. This doubles the time at the station.
The one swipe limit on my card goes up and down as gas prices change, but always keeps me just short of a full tank.
A few years ago this was not an issue.
How do I resolve this??
Pu
  18th of Mar, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I paid for $5 for gas by my debit card. I ran it as credit since it is so much easier than having to do a PIN number, etc. (I think you get charged for using PIN number technology anyway with any debit card..) I looked on my debit card account statement today and discovered that Shell charged me $50.00 for $5 worth of gas! And of course I through away the receipt because I hate having receipts in my pocket.

SO I did a good deed for my grandpa today and bought him a little bit of gas and instead of being charged $5 as received, they charged me $50! I am hoping it's just an authorization hold but being I asked for $5 it could very well been a mistake by the guy entering it in! I really hope that I have not permanently been charged $50 for $5 worth of gas, but even still with the authorization hold - if that's what it is - it's still ridiculous that they even hold $50 for frigin' $5 worth of gas! I can understand authorization holds for fill-ups to avoid people from driving away without paying, but to do it when you specify an amount is most unethical and to me even fraudulent!

I will be filing a dispute against Shell if they made a mistake. I know if I go to the gas station, the Indians will say there's nothing they can do and just pocket my frigin' money! >:
Pu
  18th of Mar, 2011
Attached is the screenshot of their charge.

Shell Logo Shell