Security Networks / Clause in Contract

1 West Palm Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

Do not consider Security Networks for your home security system. I contracted for their service and have completed a 3-year contract. It is now 5 months later, and I have decided to end the service. The representative stated that I was under a new automatic 3-year contract and could buy out of it by paying 31 monthly charges. The "Automatic Renewal" clause she referred to is not enforceable under any contract law theory. In fact it would be a contract within a contract with no signature to make it legal. It is preposterous and defies all logic and common sense. No court of "original jurisdiction" would enforce such a clause. It would be a perpetual contract for life and would not hold water in our legal system. Our three year contract was completed in March 2012, and no notification was given to us at that or any prior time. How can such a company do business with this clause in their contract? This is a deceptive company and should be held accountable for these business practices by the BBB, Consumer Affairs, and the Attorney Generals Office. Imagine if landlords, cable companies, and cell phone companies could use this clause in their contracts. It would literally be a contract for life.

Lw

Comments

• Lw
      28th of Aug, 2012

The face of the contract is 3 years. All It ended at that time, including all clauses and terms.It is illegal.

29th of Aug, 2012

7 Comments. 0 Complaints. 552 Comments. 2 Complaints. WOW! Get A Life.

29th of Aug, 2012

For people reading these comments - Descartes and Indiana comments (I'm sure you can tell) are from someone from Security Networks. I just wanted to advise anyone considering contracting with this unscrupulous company.

9th of Oct, 2014

What ever came of this cancellation? Was it resolved or did you just cancel the card that was getting charged? We are having the same issue currently. An automatic renewal of 18 months is what we a dealing with and it is absurd! We were told in July that we could cancel in October. Today is October 8 and I was told by a customer service rep that I needed to cancel one month prior. Why wasn't I told that when I asked when my contract was able to be terminated? I despise poor business practices. We will just have them send it to collections and from there we will contest the charges with poor business practices.