Platinum Protection Complaints & Reviews

Platinum ProtectionYou'll need protection from Platinum Protection

Someone from Platinum Protection came to my home to sell me a security system. First of all, the system was a joke, and their "support" was even worse. But it was better than nothing.

But then I had to move for work. I tried calling the company repeatedly when I'd get their invoices, but no one would ever return my calls. Eventually the invoices stopped. That was more than two years ago. Then I was notified I was being sued by the company right before the statue of limitations ran out. I was given 12 days to pay or face a lawsuit. They claim you can't cancel their policy; all you can do is resell the policy. The person who sold it to me never notified me of this ridiculous policy - or told it was for a staggering five years.

Do yourself a favor. Stay far, far away from this company. There's a reason it's rated an F by the Better Business Bureau. http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/burglar-alarm-systems-dealers-monitoring-and-service/platinum-protection-in-american-fork-ut-22169304

Platinum ProtectionCancelled the service

Back in 2010, I cancelled the service within 3 days as the contract stated, and the cancellation was verified with the field agent who came to my house.

After 2 years of no contact or billing me, they sent me a letter saying that I owe them money since the account is somehow still active. Although I signed up in Apr, 2010, they had "unknown" errors in their system; so they did not charge me until Mar 2012. I understood that since I cancelled the service I did not get billed; that's not the case.

According to the head of tech support Peter, they do not know what caused the error, how many users are affected, who is responsible for the error, etc, etc...sounds ridiculous to me since they know nothing meaning they did not investigate. In my case, monthly fee is $54/month times 24 months of not billing me caused the company to lose about $1300. Assuming it's not just me (according to Peter, there are other customers who were receiving the service for free for more than 2 years...), the error(s) must have cost the company a lot of money...and nobody is responsible in their company for the error.

According to Peter and the head of billing dept, which I forgot the name of told me that they cannot handle the contract error. The only person who can deal with this issue is the CEO Jarred Hallows. So, I wrote the CEO a letter with certified mail delivery. The mail was delivered to their address signed by Angela on June 8th. Since the CEO won't show up to work nor nobody knows when Jarred comes to work according to Peter, I guess my letter was not yet read...but Angela handed the letter to Peter while I was on the phone with him.

Make sure to record the phone conversation with them. Peter lied to me several times, which I have proofs of.

BBB, attorney general, Utah bar association here I come.

Stay clear away from this company.

Platinum ProtectionScams by slick salesmen

I worked for this Platinum Protection. I was ashamed to work for a company who scammed people many times a day in over 25 states. It is a company full of slick talking salesmen who know exactly how to get a person to sign on a dotted line then run the technicians over immediately to install a faulty and expensive product. I wish everyone would be smart and send these scammers on their way without listening to a word. P.S. Platinum makes thousands of dollars off each and every one of these signed contracts. The owners make millions of dollars.

nt - kansas city Nov 09, 2011

How long until a class action is brought up against them?

• Ej
          e-j Nov 04, 2011

My husband and I have been scammed by this company. Everything the sales representative is a lie. We are not stuck in a contract with this company for 39 months and can not get out of it without a penalty. They lie! Do not use them!

Platinum Protectionran credit report without permission

salesman came to door offering free platinum protection, of course i listened to his pitch, he aske if he could come in so i did let him in, after talking about system he asked me if i was interested, and i said yes but i need to discuss with my partner, he asked me for my name and date of birth which i gave him, he said he needed addresse information, because he had to call and see if they could find the location, when he was on the phone he gave to whom he was talking to my name and addresse, and date of birth, i thought all was fine because i did not sign anything, and told him that i as not giving him my social security number and he said that was ok. I told him to maybe stop by later, and he did and my better half told him we were not interested, when i got up this morning i noticed in a email from my freecreditreport.com they had done a credit check on me how they did that i dont know, i never gave them permission, or signed to have that done, now i have to try and get it off it was a hard inquiry, i did call the salesman this morning, i asked him did igive you permission to do a credit report and he said no!!! i adked for his supervisor number in which he gave me, but he is not answering the phone, i called main 800 number and they are suppose to send me a paper to get this off my credit, this was a fraud!!! Now i have to do all the leg work to get this off my credit

Jay12133994 Jul 19, 2011

The exact same situation happened to me in which I was told that there would not be a hard credit inquiry done on me and sure enough with just my DOB they ran one. I complained the next day as I have credit monitoring and did not receive a courtesy call back. I will never answer my door for another sales person ever again.

Platinum ProtectionSCAM

This company cares about no one! I was "hired" to work for them through a friend. The short amount of time I was going around as a technician I noticed they simply want to get as many jobs as possible, as quickly as possible. They do not care about the security of your house, and they only really try to fill your needs when its convenient for them. They operate on an point system where they try to give you as few items to protect your home as possible. Any additional equipment you get from them above their "8 point" system costs money that comes out of the "rep's" (salesman's) pocket. If you don't make their sale difficult they will give you as little as they can get away with. On top of that, they allow their "technicians" to sell you items way overpriced and simply pocket the extra money they conned you into spending as an incentive. One person may buy an additional window sensor for 40 dollars, and their neighbor down the road pays 100 dollars for the exact same sensor because they are more easily exploited. If anyone wants to hear any more about this shady company let me know... But PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM THEM! If you just got tricked into service with them don't feel bad, they are excellent pitchmen and they trick a lot of people, but get out of it however you can!

Malena G Feb 22, 2017

I just received a call from a legal firm threatening us with a lawsuit. We got swindled into this contract by a smooth talking sales rep who worked for Platinum Protection. We however researched after the fact and decided to cancel within 48hrs which is well within the timeframe allowed per contract. However here we are over 7yrs later still dealing with these harrassing phone calls and threats.

There is no way these lawsuits can be legal its been 7 yrs since we canceled. The services were never even started. We canceled right away. Now they are saying it doesn't matter if we canceled we are still responsible for 1800 for installation. Why are they still calling us saying we are responsible for installation and service after 7 yrs???? This company is a complete fraud!!!

CharR Mar 01, 2012

SCAM: nothing but a scam, they took money from my elderly father for a security system that NEVER worked. They gave him an alarm to wear around his neck to call in an emergency that NEVER WORKED! Shame on you for your inhuman treatment of an old man. He paid you $2500.00 to help protect him because he's old and lives by himself and his wife of 65 years is in the hospital dieing and you took it and won't make it good! Again, SHAME on you! I will be posting on the web daily what a scam you are, I will spend as much time as possible making your life as miserable as I can.

• Ej
              EJUtah Dec 09, 2011

I agree that this company is such a scam. They definitely know how to get you to sign on the dotted line. They lie and mislead you. The customer service is so bad, they could care less. All they care about is you signed the contract. The three days is up to cancel so you are screwed. I encourage everyone thinking about Platinum Protection or approached by them to research them. I wish I had.

jaberwocky Nov 09, 2011

"Generally, I agree that research should be done prior to purchasing, however this company does not even allow time to research and has the individual sign with the belief they are getting a great deal until after the work is done."

As I said, everyone has the option to walk before signing or agreeing to anything. If someone shows up at your door with this wonderful product, gives you the sales pitch, and you happily agree and sign only to regret it later, that is your fault for just blindly doing it.

I'm not saying this company isn't bad or good or whatever, I've never even heard of them. I am saying however that if you blindly sign on the dotted line before knowing any of the fine print, you need to accept the fact you were suckered into it and deal with the consequences.

nt - kansas city Nov 09, 2011

Oops - Spell check chose wander instead of wonder.

nt - kansas city Nov 09, 2011

If your comment is your true belief, then that is a sad comment about our country and business practices. What you are saying is...trust no one because everyone is out to screw you as a common practice. However, that is okay because they can use the excuse - shame on you for trusting us. I personally do not believe that businesses are all inherently bad, but some obviously prove my belief wrong.

My point is that this company teaches young people how to get into homes, lie as much as possible and do whatever it takes to make the sell. They look and act like honest, hardworking individuals, and do not disclose the fine print until after you sign. Their goal is to deceive people in their own homes, get them to sign the bottom line, tell them they have 3 days to think about it, and then coincidentally have an installer there before the door hits them in the butt on the way out. Generally, I agree that research should be done prior to purchasing, however this company does not even allow time to research and has the individual sign with the belief they are getting a great deal until after the work is done.

When I called their corporate to cancel, I was told by three people that they have never heard of such deceit by their employees and would investigate. It did not take long after I had the chance to investigate myself to figure out how unethical Platinum Protection is, so I wander how their investigation went. LOL

jaberwocky Nov 09, 2011

isn't it up tp the consumer to research before just signing something? Obviously a lot of people don't bother, and just take the salesman's word for it, but that is the person's fault.

Its like if you walk into a car dealership and pick a $20, 000, and the dealer says it is $50, 000. If you agree to it and sign the contract, who's fault is it?

Everyone has the option to walk out before sigining a bogus contract.

This company is a scam.

• Ji
              jived3 Jun 17, 2011

This is completely biased and unfair. In fact I would go so far as to say that this is slander. There are a lot of honest, good reps with high integrity who work for Platinum Protection, who are nothing like this description at all. Truthfully, any door-to-door company is going to have some sales representatives who are bad for the company's reputation because it is difficult to control what some people say. As a standard, Platinum Protection will fine and fire any Sales representative OR technician who is deliberately creating bad business by lying to customers. I know this because I used to work for this company. Sadly, with any commission based sales job, you will get some people who feel that an extra sale is worth a little lie, but Platinum Protection has the best door-to-door sales team of any that I have ever seen when it comes to honest, hard-working Sales Representatives.

Platinum ProtectionScamming Senior Citizens

Platinum Protection is disgusting. And brilliant. They sure know what they are doing. By preying on people's weaknesses, they sign you up for 60 months at $49.99 for a security system that doesn't work. By promising "free" equipment, confusing the 3 year vs. 5 year contract, and claiming that "all your neighbors are signed up" - they are humiliating and flat out stealing.

My senior citizen mother fell victim to the salesmen when he pressed the right button for her -- fire safety for your sweet new puppy, only to find that the puppy is new because her 13 year old pup companion had just passed away - "oh you wouldn't want to lose another dog to fire, would you?"

Anyone get anywhere with this?

Platinum Protectionsalesperson

Salesperson:: I told the young man that we were on a limited income and really could not afford the system... He told me because my aunt had health issues we could get a prescription from her doctor and we could send it to Medicare and they would pay the monthly bill for us, do to her health issues.. We found out that was a lie and when I tried to contact him with the phone number he gave me . I did not get any return calls.. We have struggled for a year to make the payment and my mortgage went up which is making it more diffficult... They told me I had to sell the contract to someone else or pay80% of the remainder on my contract, which is another 4 years.. His statements were false and he also told me different neighbors that supposedly bought the system, and I found out he lied about that... I have called the company and now I was given the idea of calling WFTV channel 9 who does a lot of customrer complaints... We really are in a bind and no-one seems to care that their employ lied to sell his product...

• Di
                  disabledsfcvet Sep 20, 2013

same here is tampa but since out of business here still paying for alarm system until two days ago when we had incident that was not registered on system when we were talking to medtronics monitoring. Gee says something for the system doesn't it. We were on a monthly with drawl for 6 months thinking our contract was not over yet. We have been trying to locate them to cancel but they don't exist here in Tampa anymore. Just a phone number tell you to contact by email.

anonymous1456 Apr 08, 2012

I wonder if this is the same Robert Reimer:
                  45 Salt Creek Rd
                  Roselle, IL 60172
                  [protected]
                  Contact: Reimer, Robert
                  ... He has a history of scamming people in Chicago for chimney sweeping services.

• Ro
                  Ron Sims. Sep 23, 2010

I live in Winter Park Florida and was scammed by a door to door Platinum Rep named Rob Reimer. He assured me that my system could be removed within 2 business days if I was not satisfied. I tried calling back to have the system removed after finding out that it was not "free, " and the phone number he had given me was disconnected.

Do not buy from this company.

Platinum ProtectionTotal Scammers

My husband bought a security system from "Platinum Protection" from a door to door salesman. I was not home at the time. The salesman lied through his teeth about several things. First, they said the contract was "only for 12 months" and that we could cancel at any time after 12 months. Wrong! The contract was written for 60 months! (Hubby should have read, didn't, high pressure sales...etc).
                They said we had FIVE days to decide whether or not we wish to keep it. WRONG AGAIN! We had THREE days to cancel, or we'd have been locked into the 60 month contract with no way out.

Installation was "free", however the "activation fee" was 200 bucks.

Also, take note that if you lock into their "5 year" contract, it will AUTO RENEW (as per their contract) without contacting you, and the only way out is to give them 30 days prior written notice. If you fail to do this, you're locked into another year with no way out. They don't tell you this, you must read it in the contract.

Luckily, once I got home I read the contract, checked this site (and others) to find tons of complaints (including over 400 with the BBB). I canceled the contract via fax AND an overnight, signature confirmed notice, keeping copies for myself.

The next day, the sensor they "glued" to my back door FELL OFF, rendering the system useless, as we couldn't get the thing to stick.
                They left a huge mess after "installing" their keypad. There is no central unit to this system, so anyone entering has 30 seconds to take a baseball bat to it. No battery backup, either.

We got them to come get their stuff. The installer asked why we were removing it, and we told about the lies we discovered. He sat there and tried to tell us that the contract *IS* only 12 months. Duh, we had it right there in front of him showing SIXTY months in 2 separate places.

If you get scammed into this, utilize your legal right to cancel FOR ANY REASON within 3 business days. If they don't come get their equipment within 20 days, IT IS YOURS. Don't let them tell you differently.

• Mi
                    mistry shopper Jun 28, 2011

That is really funny everyone that gets a system from platinum does a pre survey that the rep on the other line tells the home owner "do you understand that the agreement is for an initial term of 39 months" or 60 months depending on the state you live in... so please tell me that the person taking the survey wouldn't understand that now to complete this on the paperwork itself it states 39 or 600 months again no not in fine print but bold letters and to boot the bottom of the agreement in even bigger bold letters it says "notice of cancellation" then when the technician gets there to install the system platinum does a post survey and for having 180, 000+ customers nationwide and only having 466 complaints registered with the better business. I'd say having less than 1/3 of 1% of them having a complaint and for the record all have been resolved is have to say name another company of this size to have that few of complaints and I dare anyone of you to put in any company of a large size in this site and see what you come up with and if you want to know who created the interactive for your phones platinum did with alarm.com enjoy and be safe

Notsohappycustimer Apr 14, 2011

Please email me regarding any class action suit.

BenAmy Apr 13, 2011

thank heavens you read it over! They better have credited the activation fee. What a junk company. We had a salesman falsify documents in our case, and were lucky to get our contract rescinded. But it was a hell of a mess...and I would LOVE to be part of a classs action!!

Platinum Protectionno ethics whatsoever

To Joe Darling in Maryland - I ditto all you said and I more than feel your pain.

First let me say that I am permanently disabled with a serious back injury and suffer constant chronic pain, and because of the nature of medications I take my cognitive skills are lacking. The nature of the medications I have to take for pain are such that I had been researching video surveillance systems online so I could see if anyone was around my house. On August 28, 2009, Aaron Ross (I also have his cell number) from Platinum came knocking on my door with his sales pitch about their security system. I explained to him that I was interested in a video/camera system for the front and back of the house, he not only understood what I was looking for and said that would be provided, but they were currently waiting on the updated cameras sometime in the next month and they would be installed then. I also told him that I did not have a landline available only broadband, and he said it would work fine.

I never did use the system because I couldn't remember the code and I was waiting for the cameras. Because of a major setback in my health I was not able to contact Platinum until November 4, 2009 about when I could expect the cameras. I spoke to Deuce (seriously how can you trust someone with a name like that?) (Ticket #[protected]) who advised that the cameras were not yet in but were expected the end of the month. I called again the end of the month and spoke with a nice young lady whose name I can not recall who told me that I wasn't supposed to be getting any cameras. I told her about my conversation with Aaron Ross the salesman specifically about the cameras and she said she would contact him to see what he had to say and would get back to me. It is now January 17, 2010 and I've heard from no one. But have no fear I am continuing to get billed $47.69 every month from my checking account by Monitronics.

I've recently learned via internet research that this system wouldn't work in my home anyway since I had no landline. I still have not ever activated it. I did have an attorney I used to work for read all the contracts and materials for me. I was told basically I was screwed. I signed a 5 year contract and whether I used it or not would probably have to continue to pay for it. And nowhere are cameras even mentioned any where in all that fine print. He did however offer to represent me pro bono should I want to pursue the matter.

So to Aaron Ross and Platinum Protection I hope you are happy that you have taken advantage of a disabled woman living on $1, 500 a month in Social Security Disabilty benefits only and paying for a system that is useless to me and not at all what I wanted or needed.

I will post this same information on ever forum/website/blog I can find. Meanwhile I'll have a friend remove the equipment and yard sign as well. I surely don't want anyone coming to my home thinking I would use Platinum Protection. I'm a stong believer in Karma. To Aaron Ross as cute as your baby is I'm sorry he has you for a father, you are the lowest.

BenAmy Apr 13, 2011

@your dumb-- its "you're" not your. Says a lot about you that you worked there. In my case, the rep forged my signature. Thank God that I was able to prove it. You, and your kind, are [censor].

• Di
                      DisappointedinPlatinum Jan 13, 2011

My complain with Platinum was the misrepresentation and lies on the selling. That's all. If I was just told the truth from the beginning, I might not be upset about the 42.00 a month that I am being ripped off. But it was represeted differently than it was and that equals lies...
                      Platinum just needs to get their sales integrity in.

• Br
                      break in dummy Dec 29, 2010

How is legal for a Company like Platinun Protection to scam so many people. They show up during dinner knowing you are only trying to hurry them out. And con you into signing something you may never look at again till it's too late. Then bamn! they continue to rip you off
                      for the next 5 years, where they suppose to have been protect you. I call this robbery but without wearing the masks. I to believe it's time
                      for legal justice against the rip off industry.

• Yo
                      Your dumb Oct 10, 2010

I've worked for them...you signed the paperwork that you didn't read, that's no ones fault but your own. You have three days to cancel. You knew you didn't have video for three days so why not cancel. They gave you 800 bucks worth of equipment for havin decent credit, so get off your high horse and take reaponsiblity for what you didn't read.

Becky620 Aug 23, 2010

here's a pic of him. Aaron Ross: his wife's name is Jenny

Comments

Becky620 Aug 23, 2010

I agree with you 100%. and I am so sorry that you too were so unfortunate to encounter this jack A. this guy is the biggest scammer. He told me I was being monitored by ADT when it was really a completely different company and he said it was a 3 month trial. Come to find out it was a 3 year contract!!! He's a LYING SON OF A B. found his picture on the web. BEWARE ALL.

• Ha
                      hamburger helper May 14, 2010

[protected] this is his personal number if you want to call him he screwed me too.

Platinum Protection — Questionable Sales Tactics

The following is a filed complaint with the Better Business Bureau in Utah along with a response from...

Platinum ProtectionRipped off

We had a door salesman stop by and tell us about a free GE system for placing a sign in our yard. We had to sign a 60 month contract and pay $40. and a $99.00 activation fee.

We had false alarms everyday we used it. They sent a technician to fix the problem (did not work). It has been a horrible experience.

They withdraw the payment from your account each month. You have to pay them $50.00 to mail your payment in.

We are very unhappy and they refuse to let us out of our contract. I will be talking to a attorney.

Platinum Protection — Fraud and cheating

I and one of my close friends both worked for this company. I have seen everything they do, from the sale...

Platinum ProtectionPoor Service/Employees

I am very upset with this company. We had an alarm system installed back in May because my husband was going to start working nights. Everything appeared great from what the salesman actually told us. He said we could cancel any time we wanted and that we would have our equipment removed from our house. He never mentioned that we were signing up for a 60 month agreement or that if you cancel you will have to pay 80% of the premium for the five years of service.

I had an issue with the alarm when in August my husband got home, opened the door to let the dogs out, and the alarm went off. I was out of town at the time and I had a missed call and voicemail when I checked my cell phone. Basically the company called my phone because the alarm was going off and they were checking to make sure everything was fine. I called my husband and asked him what happened, he told me he set off the alarm. I asked if he spoke with someone from the company, he said no he did not. The police did not show up to see that everthing was ok and the company did not actually talk with someone to confirm that there was no problem.

I called Platinum Protection today to tell them that I wanted to cancel my service. They told me that if I wanted to cancel I would have to pay 80% of my total bill for the life of the contract which they told me at that time would be 5 years. I asked to speak to a supervisor.

A supervisor got on the phone a few minutes later and I explained that I wanted to cancel my service, and that I was not satisfied with the service that was provided. I told them that on the day the alarm went off I was upset to find that the company simply tried to contact us once on my phone and that if someone had broken into the house we wouldn't have known about it and they could have stolen anthing they wanted. Luckily, it was a false alarm because my husband was home, but if it wasn't they didn't take care of the situation like I felt they should. He said he would contract Monitronics, which is the company that moniters the alarms and find out what happened.

He put me on hold, and when he got back on the phone he said that the alarm had gone off and they tried to call our house 2 times, but it was busy because the alarm system runs through the phone line and since it was going off the line was in use. Then they called my cell once and left the message. Right after that the alarm was disarmed. I said I would have been happy if they called my husband's cell phone because he would have answered since he had it on him, and he could have told them false alarm. I asked him why they would call the house if the alarm system uses the house phone to contact them. He never really answered that question. He basically said, sometimes, it doesn't make the phone busy. I said well, I am not happy with the fact that someone could have broken into my house disabled the alarm and stolen items from my house with no problem. He said well they wouldn't know the code to disable the alarm, I said we have the key fob and keep it right next to the alarm system because we do not use it, all they would have to do is push a button on the key fob.

I said I am not happy with the service provided, I want to cancel my system. I am willing to pay 80% of the payments until next May. He said no, there is nothing wrong with the equipment, I said no there is something wrong with the people who work there because they are not checking on the system to my satisfaction. They have both my husband and my cell phone numbers, they also have my parents house phone, and my mother in laws cell phone number. They could have gotten ahold of someone. I asked to speak with his supervisor and he said there is no one else you can talk to. I asked if he owned the entire company, he said no. I said well, I will be calling back.

I spoke with my husband, who basically was the person who did most of the talking with the salesman. He said that the salesman told him he could cancel at any time and it would not be a problem. I called Platinum Protection back again and spoke with the supervisor of the second guy I spoke with. I explained everything to her and that my husband was told we could cancel at anytime, and that we were never told anything about a 5 year agreement, we would never have signed up if we thought we would be roped into it for that long.

She said that she's sorry the salesman said that to us but there is nothing she can do about it. If we cancel we will be charged basically $1800 for the remaining 80% for the service. She said even though we were never told about it since it's on the contract we signed we are stuck. I asked her what she was going to do about the salesperson, she said basically nothing, they don't know what he said and they can't do anything about it. I said I'm also upset because of the way the situation in August was handled, or not handled I should said. She said they did what they said they would do they assumed the alarm was disarmed and it was a false alarm. I said that is not ok with me. The alarm went off for 2 minutes and no one checked on the house, and they never heard from us if everything was ok. I want to cancel the service I consider worthless. We don't even turn it on anymore because it will do no good.

She said basically the company will not do anything. I told her I wanted to speak to someone above her that can and will actually do something about this complaint. They have to have someone that will do something. The customer service is horrible. She said no one will do anything for me and I'm either stuck with the service or I can cancel and pay the fee.

I am appalled at this so called "customer service". I've worked in customer service for years and there is no way a respectable company would treat a paying customer like this. There was no help in resolving the problem except you can cancel but pay a large fine. I would NEVER recommend anyone use this company. Doing further research online, I've seen numerous complaints about sales people, the system itself, and the company as a whole. They are only looking out for their interest and not the clients.