Seattle Coffee Direct / These people are crooks!

I take all the blame for being stupid and responding to an online survey. The promotional offer was 2 lb of coffee plus a coffee grinder for $9.

It sounded like a good deal. Somewhere in the fine print was a $25 membership fee. I was charged $34.00 on Jan 30. I went on line to check my credit card bill and saw this charge plus another on Feb 7. I called immediately to cancel. The coffee is lousy and definitely not worth $17 per lb. I have seen numerous complaints online and they apparently charge for coffee much more often than once every 30 days. I am going to call again and tell them that they are no longer authorized to charge my card and if there is another charge, I am going to file a police report for theft. I am also going to call my credit card and hopefully block any future charges. Apparently these people are crooks. I have a subscription with Gevalia and the coffee and the service is great.

Va

Comments

• Ca
      22nd of Feb, 2007

I also was victimized by the same method. I responded to a survey and was informed that I needed to select one of the product orders. The Seattle Coffee Direct offer was the same as the afore mentioned. Today I received an other 2 bags of coffee in the mail which I have not ordered. Buyers/survey participants BEWARE!!!!

• Th
      23rd of Feb, 2007

I also got suckered. I although I did realize I would get the 34.00 charge. within 2 weeks I was charged another 36.95 for March even though March is still 2 weeks away from the time they charged me. I called and cancelled my service in which i was informed that i cannot get a refund for march until I mail back the shipment which will not get sent out till March. They told me they cannot stop the shipment since it is in another city and to top that off they told me I had to PAY to send it back and if I refused the package they would deduct 11.00 from my refund! Holy Crap!!! Are these people for real?

So now I have to wait until March when they decide to send something I already canceled then I have to send it back then I have to wait until they receive it then wait for them to process the return just to get a refund. We need to find away to fight this company. Let's BOND People!!!

• Th
      23rd of Feb, 2007

Oh yea the proper BBB complaint office for this company is http://www.chicago.bbb.org/

Just select file a complaint then put in Seattle Coffee Direct

25th of Feb, 2007

My wife initially took the same survey. We have called to cancel, and received no response, and have only been able to talk to an answering machine. I am still getting charged. I am in agreement that these people are of questionable integrity also. Leaving a consumer with no recourse but to pay until they decide to quit billing you is nothing short of extortion, and apparently it is legal. The credit card companies are really no immediate help with any dispute in this regard, except to cancel the card.

• Be
      26th of Feb, 2007

I also got the same results from the survey. Only I can't figure out who to contact to cancel. I am outraged! These people are definitely scammers!!!

• Ry
      2nd of Mar, 2007

I would also suggest you verify your phone bill and be ready for other packages to show up as well. So far we have been charged for 3 different on-line voice mail services directly to my phone bill. We have also received one package so far that said here is your order, now pay us. Not to mention so much spam my wife abandoned her email address. If you read the fine print it will also state that they will share any information to anyone willing to pay. In the end, it was a hard lesson leaned to by very picky when trusting anyone on the internet.

9th of Mar, 2007

I have been victimized by this company. I was not given the details about membership for $25.00 but was charged on my credit card. I have received two shipment within a months span but only order a one time tryout for $9.95. Something needs to be done to put these crooks out of business. I will fill a complaint with the Attorney General. Their office is in Evanston, IL which means Washington state does not have any control of their thievery. I made a foolish mistakes but I will go the limits to get justice if I have to do it in person.

• Ju
      4th of Jun, 2007

I received a package from this company -- and I never ordered from them... I've never answered any on-line survey, etc. So, initially, i thought there a mistake in the mailing address. The name of the person on the package does NOT live at my address, nor is there anyone in my small town with that name.

After I received a 2nd package from this company, I decided to check my credit card statement. I was charged twice, the initial $34 that everyone is talking about, and then a week later, there was another charge for $36.95. Again, I have never ordered from this company, and have NEVER given my credit card to them. Not sure where the name "Lorenzo Howell" came from... that's whose name was on the package, but delivered to my house.

• Pa
      11th of Jun, 2007

They overcharge for everything and bill credit card 1 week after initial shipment instead of one month to maximize sales. I called my credit card company and will dispute their charges.

• Wa
      19th of Jun, 2007

I am in the middle of the same problem. They won't answer the phone and charged the $36.95 to my account. Has anyone had any luck cancelling the membership or should I just cancel my wife's card?

• Te
      1st of Aug, 2007

I wish I had bothered to research this company before falling for the scam. I just fell for it yesterday. Haven't seen charges yet, but I am going to cancel my card because I tried calling their customer support line, and apparently the phone has been disconnected because it no longer is a valid number.

• Ke
      16th of Aug, 2007

Crooks! All of a sudden I received another two bags of coffee never ordered.

If you go to https://www.seattlecoffeedirect.com/main/index.php there's a button on the top right hand of the page that says Get a Refund. I clicked on this and there's a page where you can enter your info and get a refund. I'll believe it when I see it.

• Le
      15th of Oct, 2007

$9.00 my ____. My bank called me and asked about a possible fraud. SeattleCoffee was trying to charge my account 35.00, not 9.00. plus they sent me 2 more bags of coffee. I have been trying to cancel. How can you if you can't get a hold of any body?

• Be
      16th of Oct, 2007

They got me in the past week. I fell for it too... The coffee grinder and 2 bags of coffee for $9.00. How many of you, like me, got involved with the "Get a free laptop" survey??? Nothing is free, and I should know that by now. A couple days later I saw the pending debit on my credit card for $34.00. I found their website and called the phone# and DID get to speak to someone, who told me the $25 was for shipping and handling. I told her to cancel immediately and she said the shipment was already on it's way. That was a week ago. Has anyone ever received the coffee grinder??? Yes, this is a scam, and I believe they are crooks.

• Je
      23rd of Feb, 2008

I agree with everyone who has posted here. I too, took an online survey. Every 2 weeks I am being sent coffee, which is not that great, and I am being charged $40.00. And I cannot get anyone to answer the phone as well. At any rate, when I "signed up", I agreed to MONTHLY deliveries, NOT bi-weekly. Anyone have any suggesstions as far as what to do considering all of us only granted the company permission to charge us ONCE a month??? Please respond asap. I am very frustrated and I am more than ready to take action against this company!!!

• Ri
      7th of Jul, 2008

We feel the same way. We got suckered into the same deal and when we discovered what had happened we sent the coffee back after cancelling our 'membership'. We never did get our credit. Now we not only didn't get to drink the coffee, but were out the money as well. I'm sure there is a class action lawsuit in here.

• Kr
      22nd of Aug, 2008

I signed up for a 5 for $25 special. I didn't realize they were going to continue sending and billing me for additional coffee so I also received a second shipment at the same time with 2 more bags of coffee. I just called them concerning this and they immediately cancelled my account with an email confirmation coming to me so I have backup. Hopefully this will prevent further issues. I was also told I could return unwanted shipments that I have already received for a refund. When I called, I got right through to a live person that was very helpful...

• De
      22nd of Aug, 2008

I took the on-line survey, I ordered what I thought was 2 mugs and 2 bags of coffee, I got 4 mugs and 2 bags of less than desirable tasting coffee, then with in a week I got 2 more bags of coffee, I thought I cancelled my enrollment well today I got 2 more bags at $38, I called the number on the envelope Brian was quick to tell me that I had not cancelled and since I didn't indicate how often I wanted the coffee the COMPUTOR GENERATED MY DELIVERIE'S, I cancelled with Brian he issued a credit. I then tried to send an e/mail expressing my displeasure could not find e/mail address called back spoke to some girl she was quite RUDE, what a horrable way to do business, I will stick with starbucks, they don't even charge $38 for 2 small bags of coffee. I too didn't see the fine print for the $25 membership fee. my bad

• Je
      16th of Oct, 2008

I am very sorry for any troubles you may have had with our company, Seattle Coffee Direct. Be assured that at Seattle Coffee Direct our goal is 100% customer satisfaction. Please call to speak to a customer service representative at 888-217-CAFE so that we may swiftly rectify this situation. By providing us with some basic information, such as your name and zip code, we can look up your account to clear up any problems. If you are unsatisfied in any way, we will reasonably provide refunds, return shipping information and anything else that will make your experience with our company more satisfactory. For further clarification, please see our details and terms at https://www.seattlecoffeedirect.com/TC2.php.

Sincerely,
    Jeff Berman
    Direct of Customer Service
    jberman@seattlecoffeedirect.com

• Ke
      2nd of Dec, 2008

I was also taken by the 5 for $5 deal on the internet. I know that it is my fault for making the purchase but the end result and the amount of charges is unreal. I called to cancel after I received a second shipment and I did not know why. Then a few weeks later I saw that I was charged 2 more times. I called again and was told that I never cancelled so it would be taken care of right then and that I would receive a credit within 5 to 7 business days. After 8 days and no credit I called again and was told there was I problem and the transaction would be made again in 3 to 5 business days. After 6 days and no credit I called again and was told that I would receive my credit within 72 hours. I already have an attorney ready to help if the credit is not received within the next 72 hours. Good Luck to all who are dealing with the one of the worst managed organizations I have ever seen.