Santander Consumer USA / customer service/incorrect info

United States, Dallas Review updated:
Santander Consumer USA
Santander apparently bought out the now bankrupt Drive Financial. I will say from the start this has been the worst experience for myself and family. The customer service at this company is absolutely horrible. They will keep you on hold for a long period of time and then hang up on you. They are very nasty with you on the phone and will talk over you and cut you off mid sentence. (Obviously they don't have any customer service training classed for their employees) Management is not any better. I was calling in to resolve issues with my account and was given incorrect information by the csr. The manager then got on the line and advised that I would actually have to pay an additional amount on my account. I advised that the first rep did not tell me that information. They mention that their calls or recorded...perhaps their quality assurance (I don't think that they have any on staff) should listen to the calls a bit better.

I am also a bit concerned after seeing how account information has been stolen from other individuals or additional charges made. I will be looking at my account info even more carefully now. I can't wait to pay off this loan and if you're shopping around...don't do business with them. Save yourself!!!

A  18th of Aug, 2009 by
You are not alone.

Santander is a vicious, predatory lender with no hesitation to harass and attempt to intimidate customers, including people who never wanted to be its customers, never applied to it for credit and want nothing to do with Santander.

I have an autoloan with Soverign bank which was sold to Santander. Because I pay my bills ahead of time rather than waiting until the last minute I paid the July 2009 payment to Soverign as I had for several years. I was then informed that it was to have been paid to Santander. I have provided faxed proof of the July payment to Soverign from my bank through which the payment was made, that it was made. I made my August payment to Santander on time.

Santander's call centers continue to call my home and harass my family desipte being provided bank evidence, from my bank that the loan payment was made not only on time but in advance in July.

They have demanded we pay them and we recover the money from Soverign or else provide copies of the front and back of the check for the July Payment. Of course it was an electronic transaction between my bank and Soverign, which Santader no doubt knows so there is no "check" for there to be a front or back of...

This may be how they do business in Latin America or Europe but it is unacceptable in the US. Do not do busines with this company. Do not do business with any of its subsidiaries or any comany you know does business with Santander.

And the calls from Santander comtinue. I am bringing this to the attention of my RI State representative, to Congressman Patrick Kennedy my representative in Congress and the banking regulators inRhode Island. Believe me I am going to fight back.
A  30th of Dec, 2009 by
I agree, my auto loan from sovereign was also bought out by santander however i was never informed of this and continued making soverign bank payments. I did not find out until i was informed by santander that they hadnt recieved my last payment mailed to soveregn and was charged horrendous late fees. I had to jump through hoops attempting to get straight answers from them and right the situation. They accuse you for being rude when you ask very calmly for information that is standard. In addition my previous 10 day grace period of which to make the payment was erased and now was being unknowingly charged these fees every month for what had always been considered an on-time payment with my previous lender. These people have no customer service, are secretive about giving information that should be freely disclosed, and an absolute nightmare to work with i cant wait until this car is paid off.
N  6th of Jan, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Oh man my loan too was sold to this bank for a car my 23 year old son has been making payments on. Last night he was in the car dealership trying to buy his very first car on his own. He spent 7 hours negotiating the deal ( I know a little log but hey it was his first time). The only thing needed was the title. He had $400.00 left to pay the loan off. It was 8:00 at night. He called me for help. I conferenced him in on a call to this bubble gum bank. We wanted to pay the balance off that night with a credit card. The CRS supervisor said we were not able to pay a car loan off over the phone, that if I was in a hurry, I would have to actually Western Union them money. I live in BF nowhere so the nearest facilties was like 20 miles away and after that she did not give me definate time frame of when the title would be sent to me. She said a week but was that 5 business days or 7 business days. I kept asking her if there is anything else that she could do to help us. But all this ignorant supervisor would do was read her "script". My son finally begged for her help. She would not budge. (I did work out something with the dealership and he was able to drive the new car away).

THIS BANK S@CKS!!! There was even another incident the first day they changed over which caused me an hour of my time to communicate to them that they were inaccurate on my account.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS TWO BIT OPERATION. Their customer service is not knowledgeable and not helpful. I think your best bet that if your loan was sold to this TRAILER PARK BANK (and don't mean to insult anyone living in a trailer park)...I would take out a loan from a reputable bank and pay these smucks off.

A  18th of Mar, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Let me join the chorus-I'm a (now former) HSBC Auto Loan customer. I PAID OFF MY NOTE TODAY. I'm accustomed to going online (HSBC AUTO) to make my payments, but was redirected to Santander (who the @#$% are they?). Man! I called the CS line (I totally freaked out, HSBC hasn't forwarded any info in writing to it's customers to advise of the change) and one CSR left me on hold for 10 minutes (all I asked was how long it would take for them to release my title?) and then the call disconnected (oye). So, I called back and the second rep was more rude than the first (even hummed on the line when I told her I don't owe any money, I'd just like to know how long it takes them to release titles). Uggh! I wish I had known this was happening, would have tried to pay off the balance while HSBC still had the account.
Good luck to all who are going to have to deal with these people (who are they?). Wish me luck getting my darned title.
A  21st of Jun, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My car loan through United Auto Credit was sold to this loser company. I have just had my first experienct with them on the phone.
I have never spoken on the phone with such an ignorant, mindless, human wearing actual skin.
This is not a company, I look forward to dealing with for the next 11 months. I shutter to think what type of training is required, I guess their building blocks were otherwise occupied.
N  28th of Jul, 2010 by
We paid off the loan plus interest but were behind a few times so payments were late and it accrued late charges. Long story short late charges kept popping up and could never catch up and they took my car. Like millions, things happen and credit wasn't good so I got a 12, 000 dollar loan and have paid a total of over 17, 000 and they still took a 10 year old car. Like many, the bank we dealt with was taken over by this slimey company.

May they all have their turn of the same experience we have gone through with someone having no heart for them!
D  3rd of Aug, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
... yes, i agree with many of the comments above... My dealing with them have been... unbelieveable... I called in to turn my car back to them, before i feel anymore behind and they still contiune to harass me- More so the Account Manger Ms. Cotton- even hanging up the phone on me... Im doing the right thing and still getting treated like some dog.
N  30th of Aug, 2010 by
I had Roadloans originally and the were bought out by this outfit. They have charged me countless late fees and then added extra interest to my account. I had talked to them about a modification and an hour later they were here to take my car. Not one mention of it when I had talked to them an hour earlier. Finally was able to pay them off and never deal with them again. I have made 75 payments on a 72 month note and the last was a settlement agreement that was 3 times my normal payment. Just happy to be done with them and learn never to deal with them again!!!
A  9th of Sep, 2010 by
I was just informed when I began my normal payment electroniclly that I have to pay them now. I am wih Citi Financial Auto. This really sucks in the worst way. I won't hesitae in anyway to give thm a piece of my mind. pjc
A  10th of Sep, 2010 by
I was with Citifinancial before and used to make my monthly payment with them by phone free of charge. Now these guys want me to pay a $10.95 processing debit card fee. I told them they can kiss my [censor]!
A  21st of Sep, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
this is the worst experience i have ever experenced with a bank.my account was bought out by these [censor] from citifi and i dont want to do business with them at all. i will try redo my loan and i will talk bad to everyone i can about how sorry this co. is
N  1st of Oct, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I just had my first dealing with these douche bags! I called them 5 days before my auto pay payment was to come out and told them to stop payment because I was refinancing through my credit union. The payment was to come out on the 25th of September and they would have my check for the payoff by then. They pulled the payment on the 26th after I was told that they wouldn't and the very next day they received the payoff check. Now they are telling me that it may take 30-45 days for me to get a refund of the money they should have never touched in the first place. I was with CitiFinancial before this and will NEVER do business with them or Santander again! On top of all that the credit union sent a check, after all was said and done that was more than the payoff, and the [censor] at santander said the over payment wont come to me it goes back to the credit union! I have never seen any company run like this before and hope that I don't have to in the near future.
N  24th of Oct, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
If you can, refinance with a local credit union or your bank. We did and got rid of them - after never being late on our car payments, Citifinancial sold our accounts to Santander and we started receiving robo-calls about "we are attempting to collect a debt". I tried for two weeks to call Santander with no response so my husband and I quickly refinanced with lower payments and the same end time. We both have our titles and all is well. REFINANCE TODAY!!! Get rid of these people - they are very unprofessional and rude.
A  11th of Nov, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am a former Citi client also and am now told I have to pay this company. I called everyday for two weeks for my log in ID and password so I can see my account before I make a second payment to a company I do not know. I was in modification and I do make my payments on time. They keep sending me a temporary password with no login ID and the system will not allow me to register again due to my account already being registered. I sent my first payment to them in good faith since Citi advised me to pay them. The automated system and my statement have two different amounts to pay. I was hesitant to send my second payment without seeing my account information but I sent it anyway with a lenghty letter I am sure no one really cared about. No they are saying I owe more money but ill not let me see my account info still. I have called 14 times for access. I advised the csr not to expect anymore money from me without allowing me access. At this point I really don't care if they come get the car, anyway to be done with them. As a consumer I feel I have the right to acces my account. They are horrible!
A  3rd of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
THE WORST EVER!!! Santander Consumer, USA bought my current loan that I had with Drive Financial. There customer service is horrible. There is not a single person that I ever spoke to that was helpful in any way at all. I recently paid the load off or should I say thought I paid the loan off and when I called for the title they told me I still owed money...ok so how do I owe money when I spoke to to people who gave me the payoff info and then mailed a bank certified check for that amount that was given by two different customer service reps. Upon calling for the tile I was then told I owed more money. I have never been more frustrated!!! THEY ARE THE WORST GROUP OF PEOPLE EVER TO DO BUSINESS WITH...SO IF YOU EVER FINANCE BEWARE IF IT'S WITH "SANTANDER CONSUMER, USA. oh and the USA is BS because consider yourself lucky if you get someone that can actually speak ENGLISH!!!
N  10th of Dec, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Hmm... Drive financial did not go bankrupt, so you were OBVIOUSLY misinformed. Santander and drive financial are the exact same company and just changed names due to their affiliation with the bank. Complain all you want, but keep your information accurate next time.
A  8th of Mar, 2011 by
Regardless of if the info is accurate or not, Santander Consumer USA and all of the companies that it took over or merged with all FAILED to notify it's customers of the change over. We didn't know anything until we went to sign in on our online account with HSBC and it didn't exist anymore. Their website was near impossible to use as most of the options did not work and when we called cutomer service on how to get logged in they told us to wait a certain ammount of days and we did, no luck, called again, same thing, called again and the gal was rude and basically told us that we were incompitent.
We had some money left after taxes and wanted to pay off our car loan. WOW, I cannot believe how difficult it was to pay! What kind of Bank/Credt Union/Loan company makes you "wire" money or send in checks?? There was no way in heck that I would send a personal check or money order from Alaska to Texas for $2000+ USD (especially after reading the complaints about identity theft) and Western Union and Money Gram will not let you send anymore than $2000. When you call the customer service number in regard to pay offs it simply tells you to use Western Union or Money Gram. Well, the loan has since been paid in full and today we received a letter stating that they did get the money but we still owe them money but they will be nice and lower our monthly payments until paid in full. Called customer service and asked about the letter and she said that it was sent out before we paid off the car and that we don't owe anymore money...hmmm the letter clearly stated that they received the money (which was the payoff ammount) so we will see what happens next.
N  13th of Jul, 2011 by
Santander are crooks!!! File a complaint with FTC and also the Attorney General ASAP. There is a class action lawsuit. I have experienced almost every issue that every complaint board has mentioned. I also cannot get them to reset my password to access my account online. I never been able to access my account since citibank sold my account. I have been calling them for months to inform them I cannot login to my account and each time they said they will reset my password and send me an email. I never got an email and when i called them again today I asked how long does it take to reset a pw?????!!! THEIR RESPONSE... I DONT KNOW!!! I asked them to send me to the department that does the pw reset and they said they don't have a number for them!!! I asked to speak to the manager and the dumb b*tch on the phone said there is not one available and I asked she go find one and she said she has better things to do then go on the floor looking for a manager! I am trying to pay off my loan but before I do I need in writing what my payoff is and no one can send or fax me that statement!! I have read multiple stories that people have had their vehicles repo'd even after they paid off the loan and other times people still have not received their titles to the vehicles. The CSR are the rudest people to deal with. They talk over you, talk down to you (even though they are the low budget losers making minimum wage) and I feel like I am at their mercy because even the managers are complete idiots!! Their answer to everything.. I DONT KNOW.. I DONT KNOW... !!! I never been late on a payment and I just received a delinquent mark on my credit report saying I am 30 days pass due!!! I called Santander to ask them to resolve this and even confirmed they got my payment on time which they agreed and then they asked me "what do you want me to do about this?????? HOW BOUT FIX IT!!! They told me to call my credit bureau myself and it's not their problem. How can these people continue to ruin peoples lives and get away with this??? How come they are still in business?? google "santander usa compaints? and you will see thousands and thousands of people with the same complaints and yet no one has stepped in to help the consumer!! CONTACT THE FTC AND ATTORNEY GENERAL ASAP. The more complaints then most likely they will be looked into. DONT LET THEM SCREW YOU!!!
N  12th of Oct, 2011 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
just 15 mins. ago my car was repoded . I had it for 3 yrs. and these people were real ###s. I could know longer work so my husband was the only one working we wanted a lower payment no way so we got one from the other company we had before but these people noway, I have cancer so I can't go back to work but they don't care. so we finally gave up.
Take the car ### your friends in Spain or Mexico, Chille or whereever can learn how to drive in it ...
N  17th of Mar, 2014 by
Any one who needs help with santander call me at 347-2546000 or email at rustybell_44@msn.com.Go to my web site at mingom.freewebspace.com I CAN HELP IHAVE BEEN A VICTIM TOO >I NEED PEOPLE SO I CAN FILE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT Maria mingoia

Santander Consumer USA Logo Santander Consumer USA