Rosetta Stone / Bad service

Rosetta Stone advertises that they will send you a free demo. I called and told them that I wanted to learn Mandarin and if they could please send me the free demo. They tried to sell the entire program to me but I insisted that I wanted to see how the program worked with the demo. I waited over 2 months for the demo--they never sent it. I called back to ask why they hadn't sent the demo and their response was that a lot of people call up just to get stuff for free. Shortly afterwards, I purchased a language program called Language Now for about 6 times less then the first part of the program that Rosetta Stone tried to sell to me without the Demo.

Ga

Comments

• Fa
      1st of Sep, 2009

Wish I had known about Language Now...

6th of Oct, 2009

I agree with their lack of support and service. I had tried other languages from them before version 3 had come out and when I enquired about this I was told I need to pay full price for to upgrade and that there were no other options for me since I had "used the language software for more than a year". Without an upgrade path, which I was totally unaware of, and never received any notices about, I decided to chalk it up to experience and search other language programs.

• Md
      28th of May, 2010

I have an additional complaint with this company. They do not factor in their distribution channels for selling the software. I purchased the software at Borders Bookstores. My home computer recently crashed and I had it refurbished with all of the software that was originally installed, including the French version of Rosetta Stone was added. I've had this program for 2 1/2 years prior to the system crash. I contacted their customer service to ask for help in obtaining an activation card in order to use the full program because mine was lost. The response I got was they could not help me unless I had proof of purchase. The new receipts issued these days, fade over time so you will not be able to see the actual purchase. I indicated this to the customer rep. and her next response was the company could not help me because they are concerned with people hacking into their program and duplicating it. The only suggestion she could give me was to contact the issuer of the credit card to see if they would be able to assist in giving me the information I needed. Not only did I contact the bank and Borders Book Store, but each one could not provide me with the drill down detail on this product. This comment was made to the representative too. A fact that has thus been confirmed by the responses received by both the bank and Borders. I think the behaviors and attitudes given by their customer service for any consumer who purchases their products are unethical and inappropriate business practices. If it is a top down approach that is essentially expected then that too is unforgiveable. The company asks for all types of identification in order for you to use the program and they do not keep it in file unless you purchase it directly from them? I find it hard to believe in this day and age of technology and computer information that no one at this company is able to research further to find my name in their system. If this is their response, they should not sell their products to any other vendors and keep the sales in-house. No one should have to shell out an additional few hundred bucks to purchase another copy of the program. I am truly abhorred by the business practices issued by this company!

• Li
      28th of May, 2010

You really can't get pissed at a company because they asked for proof of purchase - this is standard in the software business in order to combat piracy. This is why you make backups, and keep the originals (with all documentation) in a safe place. It's so much easier to blame the company than it is to take personal responsibility.

• Da
      24th of Oct, 2010

I agree with Ling Chi.

You have to remember that buying a product from a distributor has different rules. Consumers need to realize when they are buying something, they are responsible for it.

As far as fading receipts, couldn't you just save it in some MS Word document? Or write in one of the RS manuals?

• Ro
      17th of Apr, 2011

Having the exact same problem. Who saves receipts for a year or two, not many of us I suspect. I've changed credit card companies long ago. They claim you will be contacted within 24 hrs of your initial complaint. I'm still waiting. Their customer service web site sucks too.

• Jk
      29th of Apr, 2011

but if you have the official key code that is authentic, why do I need to save the credit card/receipts, etc?
    I have the authentic cd/box/key codes, etc. Isn't that sufficient? Microsoft doesn't ask me if I can provide the proof of purchase.

• Mo
      20th of Aug, 2018
    Rosetta Stone - My account in Rosetta didn’t activate

Momox86@hotmail.com. My phone was damaged in the water l get anew one l activate iCloud and Rosetta then the program need me to get accsses full but l was payed 3monthes ago