Roommates.com / Avoid this place at all costs

United States Review updated:

The rep from the site said it's free to view and email potential roommates. Untrue. If you've signed on as a freebe, you MUST upgrade to a paid account to view any email sent to you by other members who have attempted to send you emails. My suspicion is that staffers are actually sending emails because the email I received dated 4/20/12 stated in the subject line: "We're a perfect match." Hello? I don't think so.

Comments

• Je
      29th of Jun, 2012

Hello,

My name is Jessica and I am one of the Relationship Manager with Roommates.com. This complaint was recently brought to my attention and I wanted to take a moment to address the claims made by the complainant.

With regard to your comment that the rep provided untrue information when they said it was free to view and email potential roommates, please let me take a moment to explain.

As a non-paying member, you are able to view profiles of other members, however, certain features of those profiles are only available to paying members. Non-paying members are able to receive messages from other users on the site but an upgrade is necessary to read the messages in their Inbox. If you receive a message from a user and you are a non-paying member, you are more than welcome to view their profile and send them an email. You just are not able to read the email they sent without first purchasing a membership upgrade.

I understand that some individuals may feel this is unfair, however this is simply the way the Roommates.com website is set up. This information is by no means hidden from the public nor do we attempt to confuse people when it comes to understanding what is available for the non-paying paying member versus what is available for the paying member.

If a user has a question about how the Roommates.com website works or what the differences between paying and non-paying members are, they are more than welcome to contact Roommates.com Customer Service and we will be happy to answer any and all questions they may have. Users may also take a moment to read our Terms of Service as this information is contained within that policy as well.

I hope this has answered your questions and if you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact Roommates.com Customer Support.

Jessica