Richard Owens Nursey / Exciting Gardens / Dead Plants

1 2300 East Lincoln StreetBloomington, IL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 3096639553

I ordered plants from this nursery. Once they arrived, half were dead and the other half died within a few days. I called the nursery and they told me I could get replacements so I returned the original shipping label and three weeks later received MORE DEAD PLANTS. I called, got them to send more replacements and received my third shipment of DEAD PLANTS. I wrote and requested a full refund, and they sent me a credit with their store. I called their customer service center and they said that since the problem was not resolved within 14 days - eventhough I had responded initially within 14 days - they were not required to provide a full refund. Obviously, I have no interest in doing business with this retailer since all they do is send dead plants. Beware - they will take your money and not give you anything (alive) in return!

Ei

Comments

Ga
  25th of Jan, 2013

Maybe my situation was a fluke, but after looking at other people's similar reports, I don't think it is. Here's what happened: I ordered $134 worth of plants and seeds in early September, 2012 and my credit card was immediately charged on the 11th of September. Two weeks later, I emailed asking for a status as I had heard nothing. They emailed back stating that the orders were about to go out and I should have mine soon.

I still had nothing by 10/18/12 and so emailed again to cancel the order. (these are garden plants and it was starting to frost, so I didn’t want to try and get them in the ground) They told me on 10/23/12 that I couldn’t cancel as the order had gone to the shipping department and was irreversibly scheduled to ship. I said that was fine and would return the package.

When I received the package on 11/7/12, I immediately returned it that day, unopened to the Post Office and refused the package. I emailed the company that very day and told them it was refused and would be coming back. They acknowledged that and said to please allow 2-4 weeks for a refund.

As of 12/30/12, I still had no refund, 8 weeks later. So I emailed again. They told me that they had received the return but there was “no correspondence” in the package (which of course was unopened as it had been refused) to tell them what to do with the return. I replied that there was indeed email correspondence with customer service and that I wanted my refund. On 1/4/13, they replied that they would issue a refund in 1-2 weeks. That never happened.

So, I finally filed a dispute with my credit card company (go Capital One!!) and they got my money back for me. Richard Owens tried to issue only a partial credit of $120 and Capital One had to get the rest of it from them. At least they issued a credit and this is resolved, but what a hassle.

I feel I was more than patient with Richard Owens Nursery, worked with them as much as I could and finally had to solve it by disputing it. I'm filing this report after searching the internet and seeing dozens of other people have had the same problems as me with this company. I don't like seeing this sort of thing going on and feel that by reporting it to the public, the company will perhaps improve whatever problems with their internal systems have created this situation.

Jo
  16th of Jun, 2015

I was about to place an order with Burgess Seed & Plant Co., but decided to read some of the complaints posted first. Glad I took the time! Then, I took the same route with 4Seasons Nursery, and was again strongly cautioned to beware of their track record! Went to Exciting Gardens.com website, and found the same cautionary advice from disgruntled customers! Turns out that ALL THREE of these businesses were really a part of ONE BIG RIPOFF OPERATION! And so, my advice to all potential shoppers is "Let the Buyer Beware!"