RealtyTrac / fraudulent 7 day free trial

I tried to create a 7 day free trial account to use realtytrac, a website which provides information about foreclosed properties on the market. My acount never worked, and I have never logged successfully logged in to the website. You are supposedly able to cancel your subscription on line, but I could not because my login didn't work.

The 7 day trial lapsed and I called when I noticed the $49.95 monthly charge on my credit card. I was able to speak to a representative after just 5 minutes or so to cancel my subscription (although they charge a $5 fee to cancel by phone), and then I was transferred to another line to speak with customer service representative about my refund and waited on hold for over 2 hours before I was allowed to submit a request for a refund. No big surprise, They have refused to refund the full amount although I have never used the service, not even once.

Do not use this service, they are out to rip people off. And at a quiet $50 a month, they are making a bundle.

Comments

• Ku
      28th of Mar, 2009

Continue to charge after free period. Very difficult to cancel. No answer when phone is called.

• Us
      21st of May, 2009

I signed up for a free trial but at a site of another name. I used it for a few hours and found it useless. About 3 days later I sent an email to cancel it.
    WELL! I found charges of $49.95 for the last two months on my bank statement for RealtyTrac. I started surfing to find if anyone else had complaints and I found a whole world of them, particularly since Jan 2009. One site said not to hesitate to file a complaint with the Fed. Trade Comission and gave the phone #.
    I called RealtyTrac, tried to remain calm and use textbook customer conflict resolution language, but I ended up losing it with the first man, then requested to speak to his supervisor. I did also end up swearing quite profusely at him in the end. You see, they try to trip you up, asking, "Well, what email address did you send the cancellation to? Do you have a confirmation number?" Yes, I did, but it was under a site called ForeClosureStore and they simply said they did not have any idea what I was talking about.
    Thankfully I had read up enough to learn that for the past few months, someone has been operating in the 'Foreclosure listings" business, gathering information under several business or website names, and sharing the info. Then of course, when people complained, they simply denied any knowledge of it.
    Cool as I usually can be in conflict resolution, I just knew that these two guys were sitting somewhere in a boiler-room or apartment, practicing doublespeak, and showing up with sites for a few days and then disappearing with the info. A lot of folks posted that they have filed cases with several states' Atty Generals, and then of course the FTC. I told the men this, that I knew they were phishing or trading info, that it was a scam, that it was OBVIOUS that I didn't use the site they were billing me for, had never heard of it. Of course they said they had never heard of the site on which I had received a cancellation number. It was meaningless to them.
    I was losing it, which of course puts someone in the position of weakness. But I finally begged them, Look, guys, I am a military wife, I am seriously ill, and I have to move my family cross-country in a few weeks. Please, Please do not phish me!."
    After 30 or 40 minutes on the phone, with me refusing to back down, refusing to concede that I had in any way shown a desire to have their business services for $49.95 (!!!) per month, insisting on a full refund (I believe the exact final words were, "I want my G...d...money back immediately from you scammers and I am calling the FTC immediately") suddenly...the guys says he will refer my case for review to their refund department and I would receive notification in about 3-5 days.
    As soon as I hung up from them, I called the Fed. Trade Commission, where a very nice lady took my complaint and took it very seriously. She said there is a huge rash of scamming like this due to the bad economy. It was as easy as pie to file a complaint over the phone, and I hope everyone who has a problem like this will do so.
    Today, on the 3rd day, I received an email saying that I would be getting a full refund. ~whew~
    And NEVER will I EVER sign up for anything again under a 'free trial and then we will bill you" kind of deal. Not for anything!! If I can't get it at Wal-Mart ot Sears, I just don't need it.
    Good luck to everyone.

• Fl
      8th of Oct, 2009

same thing it is a ripoff

• Fl
      8th of Oct, 2009

Im agree 200 % the site it is NOT GOOD

• Ne
      10th of Feb, 2010

This is a fraudulent company that also charged me after I cancelled my subscription prior to the free trial expiring. I very much encourage a lawsuit and investigation because this should not be legal.

• Te
      20th of Mar, 2010

This company is a total scam. I tried the 7 day trial also! I wrote them and told them I was not interested as the service provided nothing for me. and not only have i have charged EVERY month $69.99, they gave my account number to another company which also charged my account $49.99 for some report I never wanted!! Trying to get them off my account has been impossible! no return calls, emails, nothing, i'm thinking I have to cancel my card to get them off! what can I do?

29th of Dec, 2010

Realtytrac is full of sneaky underhanded people who have no confidence in their product. They profit off people forgetting to cancel their "free trial." If they actually had a good product to sell then people would naturally buy their subscription and they wouldn't force their "free trial" subscribers to fork over their credit card numbers.

• Kw
      6th of Mar, 2011

I am in the middle of a dispute with this company also. Unfortunately, I did not discover the fraudulent activity on my american express card for over a year. Am Ex is conducting a fraud investigation right now and I will take the advice mentioned above and report them to the Federal Trade Commission.