Prestige Sales USA / Awful place

United States Review updated:
4.25

A young man, using the name of Tim, said he was a senior at Ladue High School, in the Naval ROTC, with a 4.0 grade point average. He asked us to buy two books which would be given to needy children. He was doing it so he could go to London, He said that half of the cost would be repaid by Barnes & Noble bookstore. They would use the address on my check for the mailing address.

He said that in exchange for doing this he would wash our windows after church on Sunday, today. When he did not show up, I became suspicious. I checked the company name through Google and found your web site.

I plan on stopping payment on my check the first thing tomorrow morning.
Va

Comments

Do
  7th of May, 2009
O.K... I cannot believe what a scam this is! Here is my story that happened to me 30 minutes ago. Ding-dong, my door bell rings. Two young girls who said they were 20 and 21 are selling mag. subscriptions and books to kids in the hospital. They went to "Chapel HIll" in broadcasting school and were studying abroad in London, which is why thery were raising money. (umm.. o.k.) I wrote a check for $98.00, which I canceled... while they were asking me if I knew any of my neighbors, I call my friend who lives 6 houses down the street. He writes them a check for almost 170.00...
THey had to take off because one of the girls dads was taking them to lunch...yes, at 3:00. I called one of my friends and told him what I just did. Now, I just lost my job 1 1/2 weeks ago, so my goal is to quit depleating my bank account. But I was such a sucker for this. My friend laughed so hard when I told him what I did, (he knew I just got scammed). After talking to his business partner, telling me the same thing, I cancelled my check and told my $170. 00 to do the same. I am not an idiot, but I sure feel like one now!!!
Mr
  7th of May, 2009
Here's how it would have worked for me:
Ding-dong
Me: Hey, what's up?
Kid: blah blah blah so I can go to London
Me: What do I care if you go to London?
Door slams
Th
  5th of Nov, 2009
I have the same story - nice young man approached my husband said he was with the UF Golf Team and they were doing a joint charity drive with Wolfsons Children Hospital and Barnes and Noble to obtain books for the children's library - thanks to your site we now know we were taken in by a scam - thanks for being out on the web.
Ci
  25th of Nov, 2009
Nov 25 2009 Today I received a book I ordered on October 7. The book is very overpriced, but I did receive a book. Actually I had instructed them to send the book directly to a Children's hospital, but I will give it to a Christmas collection myself.

The book was $34. (Worth about $15 max.) Service charge an additional $15. (The cheapest they had.)

I have no problem helping the young man who came to my door. I think a trip to England is good education. Even if he doesn't get the trip, he's earned something. Jobs are hard to find. Door to door sales is out of fashion these days but I don't have a problem with it. He did show me some sort of municipal permit. I have no idea if it was an actual permit or not. He also said he was my neighbor--I don't know if he meant the next block or in a global sense. I'm not sure why that would matter.

One more thing--the book I received is not what I ordered. I ordered Disney Villans and received Disney Princess.

All in all I probably got taken a little, but perhaps I helped the guy some, too. I can live with that.
Do
  14th of Dec, 2009
I also had the same experience as City Girl 2. got the one book that was way over charged, not worth that much, but i did get the book. The guy CLAIMED to be someones son in the housing complex (i was new here and had no clue who he was) my bf has lived here his whole life, i ordered a book before he came home, and when he got home i told him about it and he told me he had no clue who the guy was (told him who his mom was and everything!) its a rip off, i bet these kids arent even going to college.