Planet Fitness / racial profiling

1 249 Duffield StreetBrooklyn, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 718-852-0045

Planet Fitness does not honor their so-called mission statement. I am going to file a law suit against them for Racial Profiling. Planet Fitness purposely racially profile against black and hispanic men.

They have a big sign posted in the gym that state you can not wear "No Do-Rags, No Bandanas, No Skull-Caps, No Boots and No Jeans...All are subject to our judgment".

This statement is purposely targeted against black and hispanic men to automatically associate them with gang affliation by the wording itself. It's known as soft internal racism. When you look at this sign you would immediately associate these words with the stero-typical by society default to associate them with young black & hispanic men with gang associations.

They do not have a sign stating that "No suits, No dresses, No shoes or anything of the sort. Does this mean that someone whose dressed in so-called corporate attire can come and workout at the gym with no problem since the sign doesn't discriminate against that cultural look by Planet Fitness standards???

Below is a so-called "Mission Statement" of Planet Fitness which is totally untrue and a pure lie. I am filing a law suit on the grounds of total total racial profiling of minority men.

Our Mission StatementWe at Planet Fitness are here to provide a unique environment in which anyone – and we mean anyone – can be comfortable. A diverse, Judgement Free Zone® where a lasting, active lifestyle can be built. Our product is a tool, a means to an end; not a brand name or a mold-maker, but a tool that can be used by anyone. In the end, it’s all about you. As we evolve and educate ourselves, we will seek to perfect this safe, energetic environment, where everyone feels accepted and respected. We are not here to kiss your butt, only to kick it if that’s what you need. We need you, because face it, our planet wouldn’t be the same without you. You belong!

The Judgement Free Zone®As the most innovative health club brand in the United States, Planet Fitness is known for a lot of things – our absurdly low prices, our lunk alarm, and most of all perhaps, for our Judgement Free Zone® philosophy, which means members can relax, get in shape, and have fun without being subjected to the hard-core, look-at-me attitude that exists in too many gyms.

Comments

• Ko
      20th of Feb, 2010

Please...please file your lawsuit, because I want to watch you get laughed out of court.

PF isn't the only place that has a dress code similar to that. Nowhere on that sign does it say "Black and hispanics stay out." White people can't wear do-rags or bandanas in there either, so get over yourself.

As for the jeans and work boots, that's on the sign because denim material (and the rivets on jeans) and work boots cause a lot of wear and tear on the equipment's upholstery. So, to make it last longer, no denim or boots. Again, get over yourself.

• La
      21st of Apr, 2010

im hispanic. i work out there with no problems. then again im not a ghetto hoodlum like you. so yeah truly disagree with your complaint. try again.

• Ta
      27th of Jul, 2010

I know a lot of white men that wear that attire [censored] its not just black and hispanic. I think you are just looking for a reason to call a blood sucking lawyer to make money because you dont want to work.

• Ny
      2nd of Feb, 2011

ahahahaha. Why are you taking things like that personal? Hun it is not that serious. George Bush can walk into that gym with a durag and timberland boots and still would be violating their code. Chill with the sentimental, emotional attitude. get over yourself, I personally like PF-Duffield street. I would stand behind them if one were to file a law suit against this establishment for ignorant things like this.

• Ny
      2nd of Feb, 2011

Granted, the world is full of surprises, but who really is going to work out in a dress, suit, or dress sheos?

• Di
      25th of Jan, 2013

when i signed up at a local fitness gym. at the entry and when I signed the forms the information stated 'no do rags/ bandana's.hats etcc.. no boots or jeans. the first day I went to the newly opened gym in drexel hill pa. i had a bandana over my hair. I was told I couldnt wear it. aka the rule. well here it 3 weeks since it opened. and I see more and more customers/members male and female wearing scarfs and do rags etccc .. men wearing boots . men and woman wearing jeans. not one word is said.. I personally feel the "Manager" is too young. and in experienced. there is no professionalism.. I was given an appt for my personal training counsulation. when I got there after busting my hump to get there I was told I have to have my first training done at MY HOME GYM. why wasnt i told this when I made the #@## appt.

• Hi
      12th of Aug, 2015

I'm a Disable veteran with wounds that are unseen and the way, I deal with my situation is through exercise it helps me with the pined up aggression that my medication does not help with. I have enforced the standards through my whole military career. I'm a black card member at the planet fitness on Braircrest in Bryant College station, every time, I work, I feel like I'm being watched not as a member but an African American where the standards are different. (1) When I try to check my progression to see where I'm at with my weight training I'm told that you cant mix and match the weights because its intimidation on 8/12/2015 another member which was a white female was allowed the opportunity to mix and match and completed her work out nothing was said.
    When I complained about it I got handled in a way that elevated the situation not only myself but my wife. I brought my wife as my guest for a whole week prior to this incident and everyday when she finished her workout she used the Hydro bed to help soreness on 8/12/15 when I complained I was told then that she couldn't use that equipment it was for black card members only, and then they showed me it in writing but I'm still waiting for the other policies that they use according to who you are and what race you belong to. This is another sad day in this country when discrimination is so blatant.
    James T, Hill.