Peppertree/Equivest/Festiva / Unhappy Peppertree/Equivest/Festiva Timeshare Owner

1 One Vance Gap RoadAsheville, NC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 828-254-3378

If you are unhappy with a timeshare membership that you own, you are not alone!
I am one, also. I originally bought a package thru Peppertree, which eventually changed ownership several times…Peppertree to Equivest to Fairfield to Festiva.

There are a growing number of us unhappy owners…our complaints are to many to list here, but include: ever-rising annual maintenance fees, unavailability of resorts for booking, unsavory practices of sales reps & management, etc….to the general rip-off nature of the timeshare system itself.

We have a yahoo discussion group set up, where we are coming together to offer support, exchange info., ideas, & experiences, etc….along with a current movement to join together to file complaints & make our voices heard. The yahoo group is completely free to join, all you need is a yahoo ID. We speak candidly, & there’s lot’s of good information to be had there. We have approved memberships only, as to keep out ‘moles’ & spies from the timeshare companies.
Come check us out:

Asheville, NC

More Peppertree/Equivest/Festiva Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Je
      4th of Aug, 2008

Do not let Festiva Reps in your home. They are just the worst!

• Ro
      23rd of Aug, 2008

Because of issues like these when I was at a Festiva Resort (via timeshare exchange) I told them I would not take a tour of Festiva due to the complaints on the web. I encourage everyone to do the same when presented the opportunity. When asked to review their resorts / Open House / Vacations tell them the same thing I did not until you guys CLEAN UP YOUR ACT. Resolve the complaints on the web and I might visit but not until then.

• To
      27th of Oct, 2008

When the Festiva reps. came to our home, I had a very specific set of questions to ask them, and even recorded the conversation on tape. Even this was not enough to "frighten them straight." They lied, and again, my wife and I were duped into believing these charlatans. My advice to you is very simple...don't go near Festiva, and never let them into your home!!!

• Ne
      11th of Nov, 2008

We unfortunately let a Festiva Salesman into our house over concern of what was going to happen to our Peppertree/Equivest points timeshare. We actually signed on the dotted line to join their Adventure Club (and gave them cash) thinking it was our only option to keep anything we had. Fortunately we sat down and read all the fine print after the salesman hurriedly left before answering all our questions. So within the five day limit. through numerous telephone calls with their management, we were able to get out of that contract (and get our money back) and are back to being Equivest Owners. Now our fear is are we owners of anything and how high is our maintenance fee going to go. Festiva actually told us they would take our points off our hands if we wanted to give the points to them and we wouldn't be responsible for the annual maintenance fee and we'd be out of the timeshare business and not responsible for any maintenance fee (in other words, no one is interested in buying what you have but we'll take it)??

• Lu
      5th of Jan, 2009

I am an unhappy timeshare owner with Diamond resorts which was London Bridge/Epic, then Sunterra, and now Diamond Resorts and since we bought in 1999 our maintainance fees has trippled from $400.00 to $1200. We own 8500 pts. and each year we have had to use most of it to help pay the maintainance fees leaving us only 2, 125 pts to use. and after using the pts. to pay part of the maintainance fees we still had to pay $890.40. So you can see why I'm
    unhappy, we don't have enough points left to take a decent vacation plus the amount of money we are paying out we could have just save two or three houndred dollars more and taken a nice vacation.

• Na
      5th of Jan, 2009

We are also owners at Diamond Resorts. We too originally purchased our timeshare through London Bridge/Epic and when they were bought out by Sunterra, we lost 1, 000 points and our maintenance fee went up because of "upgrades" to several of the location (we visited the Las Vegas location and nothing had been done; it stilled looked like they purchased an apartment complex from the late 80's and stuck a timeshare name on it). Every year the maintenance fees go up (voted on by the "board") and if we don't pay them, we loose our timeshare and all the money that we have already invested over the years. Our maintenance fees were $296.00 in 2006 and $741.11 in 2007. Nothing was done to merit the increase other than Sunterra buying out Epic; we had to pay for their acquisition and they receive the profit. We are charged top dollar for the points, but if we want to use them to pay our fees or exchange them for something else, we are only given wholesale value. Fees are calculated on the full point value to determine how much you owe, but at a fraction of the value when you want to use them, i.e. 1000 point =$200.00. It would be great if we did ban together and change the way the timeshare industry is handled.

3rd of Feb, 2009

We were just talked in to converting to Festiva this past weekend. We're still in the five day period. I have had a nagging that something wasn't right. We had paid off our Peppertree property last year but disgusted with the increase in maintenance fees and the unavailabilites to get in. Festiva made it sound like we really had no option but to rebuy at $10k and 16% interest. Please fill us in so if we need to cancel we can. If we cancel the contract are we going to be able to use the Peppertree property or exchange it for other vacation time?

3rd of Feb, 2009

Based on what I know I recommend this - Cancel the deal if you can!

We have a free yahoo discussion group dedicated to this matter - please join there...post your questions, read posts, share information, etc...

Here's our group:

I don't normally field emails directly at my personal address. The group can give you lots of info. I'm just one person.

Thanks,

• He
      12th of Apr, 2009

Festiva calls all the resorts in myrtle beach that do not have a switch board operator and asks for all your personal information. If you get a call inside your hotel and they state guest services, come to front desk and make sure. We as hotels/resorts DO NOT run surveys on their guests in house, they will wait til they check out and if there is an email address on file they will send a survey, but WE DO NOT RUN SURVEYS ON GUESTS IN HOUSE. If you are among the guests getting caught in this trap please hang up your phone. But also be advised that they are also calling these guests back and cussing at them and telling them that they will keep calling til you take their tour. DONT FALL TRAP TO THIS SCAM!!!

7th of Jun, 2009

My complaints with Festiva/Peppertree/Equivest have been resolved. I have no further comment on this matter.

• Lo
      29th of Dec, 2009

I too have been scammed by this company. I would advise all future parties to be aware of these fast talking wolves in sheep clothing. I wish to join with any group going after this company.
    M. Robinson

• Br
      9th of Mar, 2010

Anyone read the Peppertree By the Sea newsletter? Says that corporate owner of 772 unit weeks will not being paying this year.

• Ro
      24th of May, 2010

We have been members for a very long time, we first bought a week got it paid for then found out about the points system and paid another 7, 000 dollars to just switch to points told we would still own the week we paid for but we wouldn't be paying maintance fees anymore!!! We would just be paying club membership fees which at the time we were paying 500 a year for the week and switching to points would just be 400 and it would be more flexable to use. Paid that 7, 000 and then came a letter stating that they thought it was unfair to the ones who just owned by the week so they would also be charging us by the points again too!!! Remember the 7, 000 we were told unless we wanted additional points we wouldn't be charged for points again!!! So then our 3500 points went to 1, 000 dollars a year within the same year we had already paid 400 for that was due in august, the 1000 was due 4mths. later no prior warning or anything!!! We have since been arging with everybody we could get a hold of that this was a billing error of course we are always talking to someone other than who we should and told another number to call which says the same thing this has been going on for years!!! Now its 1, 300 a year and if you don't pay that they send it to a collection agency we have perfect credit and don't want it ruined!! My husband and I are now disable and can't use it anymore so our 30 year old sons try to in 3 yrs. they were able to go to n. myrtle beach once that was 3 yrs. ago!!! In the beginning when it was peppertree we enjoyed alot of really nice beach vac. but the trouble all started when they sold the first time and is continuing to get worse by the year!!! How the heck can you get rid of this fraudlant draining company and make them pay for the lies they have told one after another!!! We need desperately to get out now before this company manages to bankrupt us!!! Anyone have the answer please let me know at roxydbrush@yahoo.com and please don't reply if you want money to sell it or anything else!!! We have been scammed way to much!!! Thank You for creating a place we can vent and hopefully someone will be wealth enough with the right power to take these people to court for all of us!!! President Obam holding bankers to be accountable as well as car companies so why hasn't anyone made timeshare feet to the fire yet!!!

• Nc
      27th of Jul, 2010

Has anyone filed a lawsuit against Festiva/Equivest/Peppertree or spoken with any lawyer about filing a class action lawuit? It seems that all of us have been duped and will continue to be duped as this scam continues and the company morphs every few years into new ownership. It is interesting that Mr. Billy Earnest began this blog but now has resolved his differences/concerns with Equivest without explaining how or why . It would be nice to have some particulars unless he is precluded from sharing this information by some type of confidentiality agreement.

27th of Jul, 2010

I agreed not to discuss the details of my 'resolution'.

• J4
      19th of Oct, 2010

We are Peppertree owners and are very unhappy with our timeshare. Festiva is a company with no morals or concerns for their owners. Timeshare is a complete sham and now is under investigation in many states. They are all the same, and the entire industry will be brought down. Contact me at J4rsu@aol.com. We, as a group, can make a difference for the better. Companies such as these should be shut down and their management teams placed in jail for a long time.

• Mc
      4th of Nov, 2010

In order to avoid any additional potential fees, the special assessment of $321.00 due by November 15, 2010 was paid on November 3, 2010. This amount is in addition to yearly maintenance fee which has increase approximately 30% over the past year.
    Prior to paying this special assessment I felt compelled to contact a representative to discuss the logic regarding the special assessment. To summarize; we will have this special assessment for 2010 and the two following years; There is no limit as to the cost of future assessments moving forward; Peppertree Resorts is to be self sufficient without Festiva adding revenue; Festiva justifies this extra cost by stating that Peppertree Resorts has been mismanaged and that we had been given a choice to change over to Festiva Adventure Club this past year ( at an additional cost).
    I also believe that the intention of Festiva is to force out Peppertree/Equivest property owners who use points until they relinquish their properties back to Festiva who will continue to expand their "Adventure Club" properties with those individuals.
    I did express my thoughts with the representative stating that these were dirty business practices and that it is difficult to find the value in being an owner. The representative stated that he thought there was an option to terminate the contract for a fee of approximately $2, 500.00.
    I will continue to educate myself on my various options over the next year.
    This timeshare was purchased as an Equivest Property in June of 2001 as means of enhancing our quality of life. What was expected to be a positive experience has digressed to an “Albatross”. The cost of ownership has continued to increase at an astronomical rate thus removing the value aspect of owership.
    I would welcome any feedback regarding a means to change these circumstances.
    Best Regards all.

• Mc
      14th of Dec, 2010

Since posting my original situation a representative from Festiva has contacted me and issues have been resolved.

• Le
      21st of Jan, 2011

I too am having terrible problems with Festiva. We purchased a timeshare 14 years ago from Peppertree. Since then, our maintenance fees have gone through the roof! They are now up t0 $1069.60. Plus, we were charged an additional special assessment this year of $321. Everyone here has the same complaints in regards to the fees but ours goes a step further. We moved 7 years ago into a new home. We have changed our address with Festiva EVERY SINGLE YEAR and still they do not send us our bills. Every year we have to remember to call them to find out how much we owe. Well, this year we called as usual and changed our address yet again. We were promised that they would send a bill to our home so we could pay. Well, no bill ever arrived. So, my husband called them back today so he could pay over the phone before we get hit with late fees. That's when he found out about the special assessment which he also paid. They sent confirmation emails to me where I see that they have tacked on an additional $148.78 in late fees, interest, and collection fees!!! When I tried to call to straighten this mess out I received a message to leave my name and number because everyone is busy right now. Could it be that they have thousands of other pissed off customers in line ahead of me? Every year I do what it takes to make sure that my bill is paid on time even though I never actually receive the bill from Festiva. There was no possible way for me to know about this Special Assessment in order to pay it on time.

This made me mad enough to get directly on the internet to start researching my options. That is how I found this website. I will be contacting the Attorney General's Office and Better Business Bureau by the end of the day. There is no way that Festiva can justify charging late fees, interest, and collection fees for a bill that they never sent to us even after we have changed our address with them year after year after year. It is time that we all join together in a class action lawsuit. I will be joining the Yahoo Group today to discuss this possibility with you all. I believe my case will be very valuable in proving Festiva's negligence and bogus fees. I believe what they are doing is intentional as a means of increasing revenue. How can they justify charging a collection fee when no actions have been taken to actually collect my debt? They have my correct email address and phone number yet I have not received any communication from them. If they have mailed anything to my old address of 7 years ago, I hate to tell them that the post office doesn't forward mail that long!

See you all soon on Yahoo Groups,
    Elizabeth Leaird

• Rg
      10th of Feb, 2011

Elizabeth, Have you gotten anything settled with FESTIVA? I'm in the process of filing complaints. I would love to hear from you. annieisland@aol.com