Pep Boys / cheating

1 2946 Bristol St, Costa MesaCosta Mesa, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 714) 549-1533

I went to Pep Boys early in the morning today (June 3, 2008) for my Honda Accord service for oil change, transmission flush service and timing belt service. First of all, people seemed to be very lazy there. They would not give an estimate for 3 hours, while I was waiting in their dirty "Lounge". Then I realize that they charged more for all their services after I called Honda dealer in the area. However, on their sign, they put their prices can beat any competitor’s price. So I had the guy at the counter to talk with Honda dealer. The guy took the number from me and placed the call in a different room. I do not think he even called the dealer. After wards he told me that their services were more than the dealer was offering, that is why they are charging more. By the way, according to dealer, the most expensive timing belt service is $650, the pep boys were charging $850. How much more can Pep boy do which will be superior than the dealer? What a joke! They are pure cheating and lying.

Make sure not to go to their shops for your car service. I was burned and will never go back.

Sh

Comments

• Vi
      5th of May, 2013

Interesting that when I searched for problem stories regarding Pep Boys, this came up first and it had to do with the same exact Pep Boys location that I had a problem with. I lost brake power when exiting the freeway one morning. I had just had my breaks inspected and repaired at my mechanic in Long Beach two days prior (new front brake pads and turned rotors & adjusted back brakes). Since I was right near this Pep Boys, I brought it to them to figure out the problem and went to a nearby cafe. They called me about 40 minutes later and asked me to come by... they had found the problem. First they said my battery was dead and they had to jump it to get it into the repair bay. I had never had a battery problem before this. Then they said that hydraulic fluid was leaking onto my back brakes. The solution they recommended was a new battery, new wheel cylinders and new brake shoes. The brakes alone would cost over $300. Long story short, I had it towed to my mechanic, he and I looked at the back brakes and there was absolutely no sign of leakage and the brake pads were fine. He replaced the master cylinder (the actual problem) and the hydraulic cylinders on the back brakes because they were old. It cost me $168. I have not had a problem with my battery to this day. Watch out for this and other Pep Boys!